What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

I just recently watched Redline, Sword of the Stranger, and the first 36 episodes of Soul Eater. I've really enjoyed all three immensely. I’m now debating if I should finish up Soul Eater or just continue on with the manga. I also watched the four episodes of Trava. I love the character designs…but the story wasn’t my cup of tea.

Are there any other anime out there like Redline as far as characters and setting goes? I really dig the weird alien looking characters with the futuristic sci-fi (war) setting.

Thanks

1000th post! (Not including the old message board post count of course. :/ )

Currently watching:

Another - high school horror mystery, pretty good so far. PA Works product, so it looks solid.

Nisemonogatari - sequel to Bakemonogatari. Dialog heavy supernatural harem show given the Shaft artistic treatment. Love the sound track and the banter.

Mauretsu Pirates - Space show with nice slow build up, unfortunately a bit too much otaku cliche stuff thrown in but still enjoyable.

Rinne no Lagrange - Nice looking mecha anime, up-beat tone but fairly dense characters

Black Rock Shooter - Two worlds interacting, what is real. Reminds me a bit of Munto.

Senhime Zesshou Symphogear - Only seen one episode. High tech magical girl show it seems, bit of a Birdy the Mighty touch to it.

Gundam Age - The latest return to the basics, and more kid (read PTA) friendly Gundam. Not bad, few nice new twists.

Guilty Crown - Left over from autumn. Not seen much yet. Seems like a seikai-kei story, bit odd to see one in the Noitamina block. Plot seems a bit of a mess. Might need to watch it in one go at some point. Production IG show, so it looks the part.

Pretty good haul for the winter season. Lot more variation lately in tv-anime in comparison to the drought of 2008-2010.

Edited by Bri

Watching...

Tsubasa Chronicles: A little slow but has a good story with characters from Chobits and xxxHolic mixed into each episode.

Started watching Spice and Wolf. So far, it is enjoyable but the whole money trading scheme is a but complicated. But I will continue watching.

I'm watching Madoka Magica and AnoHana on tv. Not really my cup of tea but since its the only new series they are broadcasting its better than nothing. Madoka Magica has an interesting story but an atrocious and I mean atrocious character design (and this warrants that I'll never buy this series on dvd or blu-ray), while AnoHana reminds me in some sense of IT (without the Horror part).

I'm still integrating my viewing with Cowboy Bebop episodes, its an evergreen series and Kyashan episodes (the 1970 series).

I rewatched AIKa R-16 over the weekend, and am now pretty sure Najica Blitz Tactics, the AIKa series, and Stratos 4 all take place in the same universe.

Karin in R-16 is either Karen from Stratos 4, or a clone of her. Eri comments on people being infected by the alien organism from the meteorite in Stratos 4 and how their aging stops, but their intelligence grows. Also I think the submerged airport from the last episode might be the one where the meteor sweepers were based. Also the teacher Risako might work for CRNI the same mercenary spy company Najica worked for. That's only speculation by me on the fact she is a spy, and the helicopter she uses has the exact same markings and color as Najica's Hind chopper.

Both Aika and Najica series had a great disaster in the past that caused massive flooding and submerged a great deal of land. Wether this was caused by Lagu energy like Hargen claims or by the great meteor storm hinted at the end of Stratos 4 I don't know.

I've yet to see both AIKa Zero and the Stratos 4 advance series so there might be more links. All the series are made by Studio Fantasia.

Watching Cowboy Bebop (the series) for the first time (believe it or not), and I'm liking it a lot.

Reaaally cool anime. Love the characters, the music, the art... Darn! now I need a Swordfish II model/toy bad!

Just my type of anime. I can see why a lot of people think this is the best anime of all time, and Faye is one of the hottest anime chicks ever! :wub:

Not sure why you hate the Madoka designs so much, it's not like they have Escaflowne noses :)

I can't stand MOE character design. That doesn't mean I hate moe elements in anime, I just can't stand when an entire anime is based upon MOE estetics. And this is the case in Madoka Magica. Whats worse is that you don't even need really moe estetics in Madoka since the story stands on its feet without problem. They should have gone with a more "realistic" or at least a less moe character design and the anime in my opinion wouldn't have suffered in the least.

I can't stand MOE character design. That doesn't mean I hate moe elements in anime, I just can't stand when an entire anime is based upon MOE estetics. And this is the case in Madoka Magica. Whats worse is that you don't even need really moe estetics in Madoka since the story stands on its feet without problem. They should have gone with a more "realistic" or at least a less moe character design and the anime in my opinion wouldn't have suffered in the least.

The character design in Madoka Magica is Puni Plush style. Character's are more curvy and deformed than the common angular bishoujo style. Both styles can be used to evoke a feeling of moe but don't have to. For example Gundam AGE uses puni plush while Macross Frontier has bishoujo, neither is series is considered moe.

In case of Madoka the choice is for this style helped the plot twist. Before broadcast the general expectation was that Madoka would be a normal cutesy magical girl series similar to Shinbo's last magical girl project: Nanoha.

Edited by Bri

The character design in Madoka Magica is Puni Plush style. Character's are more curvy and deformed than the common angular bishoujo style. Both styles can be used to evoke a feeling of moe but don't have to. For example Gundam AGE uses puni plush while Macross Frontier has bishoujo, neither is series is considered moe.

Ah I see. In this case yes I don't like the Puni Plush style. I think the characters deserved a more mature look. Otherwise you have a very large gap between the the darkness of the story and the cuteness that exudes from Madoka, Sayaka, Homura etc... And in my opinion it just doesn't feel right.

In case of Madoka the choice is for this style helped the plot twist. Before broadcast the general expectation was that Madoka would be a normal cutesy magical girl series similar to Shinbo's last magical girl project: Nanoha.

Are you sure about this ? Did the authors confirm the use of the Puni Plush style was specifically to shock the audiences with the 3rd episode ?

Ah I see. In this case yes I don't like the Puni Plush style. I think the characters deserved a more mature look. Otherwise you have a very large gap between the the darkness of the story and the cuteness that exudes from Madoka, Sayaka, Homura etc... And in my opinion it just doesn't feel right.

Are you sure about this ? Did the authors confirm the use of the Puni Plush style was specifically to shock the audiences with the 3rd episode ?

Yes, the style is normally used for lighthearted material like slice-of-life, anime based on 4-koma gag comics and kid shows. Currently it can be seen in Pretty Cure a magical girl series for children. That mix between cute and dark caught the viewers off guard. Imagine if something like this happened in My Little Pony in the US. The creators purposely brought in mangaka Ume Aoki of Hidemari Sketch, who also did the character designs for Shafts anime version.

See for example : http://wiki.puella-magi.net/ANN_Interview_Atsuhiro_Iwakami

Started watching Seikon no Qwaser and dropped it after 3 episodes. So bad I cannot find words to properly express it so I´ll leave it at that.

Since I´ve hear so many good things about it, I´ve started watching Mouretsu Space Pirates (why Crunchyroll calls it ´Bodacious Space Pirates´ is a mistery that I hope some japanese speaker will be able to clear up for me). Only watched the first chapter and have gotten a good Captain Tylor meets Tytania vibe but I'll have to wait and see how it progresses. At least there's been no panty shots or uneccesary fanservice so far. Getting more than enough of that from Nisemonogatari which I'm also watching.

Started watching Seikon no Qwaser and dropped it after 3 episodes. So bad I cannot find words to properly express it so I´ll leave it at that.

Since I´ve hear so many good things about it, I´ve started watching Mouretsu Space Pirates (why Crunchyroll calls it ´Bodacious Space Pirates´ is a mistery that I hope some japanese speaker will be able to clear up for me). Only watched the first chapter and have gotten a good Captain Tylor meets Tytania vibe but I'll have to wait and see how it progresses. At least there's been no panty shots or uneccesary fanservice so far. Getting more than enough of that from Nisemonogatari which I'm also watching.

I kinda want to see Qwaser. Everything I've heard tells me its possibly the most shamless, offensive, non hentai perverted thing to come out of japan in a long time.

As for Moretsu Pirates you had my interest when you mentions Tylor and Tytania. I deeply enjoyed both series. Everything I've heard leads me to believe this will be a classic.

I am not incarnate with an anime.

But Seikon is the worst drug I've ever seen in my life.

I could not stand or see right the first 2 episodes.

A lot of cluelessness and history. Since in any way, it stands on the base of ecchi.

Worse, there are many anime as well. As Queen's Blade and Samurai Girls.That only serve to masturbate seeing a "pseudo" fights scenes of destruction.

It's sad to see where the thing fell, to attract new audience.

Edited by Old_Nash

They call it Bodacious Space Pirates because that's what the official English title as set by the studio actually is. It actually shows up right on the title logo, even on the Japanese broadcast.

post-1431-0-72977800-1329972384_thumb.png

They call it Bodacious Space Pirates because that's what the official English title as set by the studio actually is. It actually shows up right on the title logo, even on the Japanese broadcast.

Ok I hadn't noticed that. Thanks. I was just a bit thrown off because I thought 'mouretsu' meant 'violence'. But I'm sure it makes sense somehow.

I kinda want to see Qwaser. Everything I've heard tells me its possibly the most shamless, offensive, non hentai perverted thing to come out of japan in a long time.

Yeah, it is very ecchi indeed. But I've seen other series with a lot of fanservice and enjoyed them because they had a good story and the ecchi bits made you laugh or whatever. In Seikon it's almost like the ecchi is all there is. The story, dialogue, pacing are all terrible. That's why I dropped it.

I get occasional e-mails from jlist.com that talk about current shows in Japan. Apparently the "bodacious" of Bodacious Space Pirates refers to the original novel the show is based on. The original novel involved beautiful women in zero G spaceships wearing miniskirts.

I get occasional e-mails from jlist.com that talk about current shows in Japan. Apparently the "bodacious" of Bodacious Space Pirates refers to the original novel the show is based on. The original novel involved beautiful women in zero G spaceships wearing miniskirts.

Yeah, the novel title was in fact "Miniskirt Space Pirates." I just learned that "bodacious" is a portmanteau of "Bold" and "Audacious." Anyway, from what I understand, the author only put in the skirts to sell books and it really focuses on the SF stuff. It definitely shows through in the series. A lot of very well thought out stuff so far. I'm really digging it.

^

Moretsu Pirates smartly defines the words "never judge a book by its cover": the miniskirts are mere window dressing compared to the real meat of the story, old-school style sci-fi, with very surprising technical detail on aspects of naval warfare (both old and modern, including electronic warfare) and the depiction of privateering in space, and reinforcing further this nautical image is the sound effects, such as when the ship Bentenmaru creaks and rocks while dodging enemy fire.

If Moretsu is the rather comical-yet-smart "Master and Commander" of this season, then Another might as well be reminiscent of Stephen King's work, as the viewer is pulled in to follow Kouichi Sakakibara's attempts to investigate a horrific malady plaguing his class at school, in a dark and foreboding town strongly reminiscent of any backwoods place in the Pacific Northwest or around Maine... and after every episode (with some fatalities amongst some characters) the viewer now feverishly tries to guess what, how or why the malady happens and where it came from.

Edited by soul.assassin

^

Moretsu Pirates smartly defines the words "never judge a book by its cover": the miniskirts are mere window dressing compared to the real meat of the story, old-school style sci-fi, with very surprising technical detail on aspects of naval warfare (both old and modern, including electronic warfare) and the depiction of privateering in space, and reinforcing further this nautical image is the sound effects, such as when the ship Bentenmaru creaks and rocks while dodging enemy fire.

If Moretsu is the rather comical-yet-smart "Master and Commander" of this season, then Another might as well be reminiscent of Stephen King's work, as the viewer is pulled in to follow Kouichi Sakakibara's attempts to investigate a horrific malady plaguing his class at school, in a dark and foreboding town strongly reminiscent of any backwoods place in the Pacific Northwest or around Maine... and after every episode (with some fatalities amongst some characters) the viewer now feverishly tries to guess what, how or why the malady happens and where it came from.

I'm up to chapter 6 in Mouretsu and I'm amazed how much less fanservice (both of the sexual and moe variety) there is than I expected.

I'm intrigued by 'Another' after reading your description. And pleased to find out that it streams on Crunchyroll so I'll definitely check it out.

Watching Casshern Sins right now and I have to say the animation is very fluid and well done. It's been a while since I have seen something as smoothly drawn. After I finish it I am hoping to finally watch Blue Sub No ^. Anyone know if it as god as people made it out to be when it first aired on CN?

I really liked Casshern Sins until the completely not what I was expecting in a weak "did someone else take this over" ending. But it is still very pretty regardless. Blue 6 holds up well enough for an OVA, I still enjoy it at least.

Edited by Keith

Finished watching...

Tsubasa Chronicles: Very interesting story with some good action, but it progressed slower than what I would like. It was fun to see how other characters from xxxHolic and Chobits were used as supporting characters.

Legend of Legendary Heros: If you can get over the corny title, this series is pretty epic with some gory action mixed in with comedy. It is good to see some characters gray area where you are not sure if they are the good guys or otherwise. The end leaves a beginning point for season 2. At the end, I was glad Ferris stopped treating Ryner as her punching bag.

Finished watching Birdy the Mighty: Decode, and I have to say, it was great. I hope there's more to watch. Started picking up Shuffle, a typical high school harem anime. Cute and all, not really my type, but it is fun.Next up with this one, Rosario+Vampire. Don't know how that one is, but I'll let you guys who haven't seen it, know how it is, afterward.

Just finished watching Gundam Unicorn OVA # 1-4.

Now rewatching Macross 7, for is it the 7th or 8th time (It's my all time favourite anime TV series). On episode # 5 at the moment.

Also rewatching Mospeada, currently on episode # 14.

Will have to get to Black Lagoon and finish watching it soon also. Still got 4 or 5 eps to go and then onto the OVA.

Graham

Currently watching:

Another - high school horror mystery, pretty good so far. PA Works product, so it looks solid.

Nisemonogatari - sequel to Bakemonogatari. Dialog heavy supernatural harem show given the Shaft artistic treatment. Love the sound track and the banter.

Mauretsu Pirates - Space show with nice slow build up, unfortunately a bit too much otaku cliche stuff thrown in but still enjoyable.

Rinne no Lagrange - Nice looking mecha anime, up-beat tone but fairly dense characters

Black Rock Shooter - Two worlds interacting, what is real. Reminds me a bit of Munto.

Senhime Zesshou Symphogear - Only seen one episode. High tech magical girl show it seems, bit of a Birdy the Mighty touch to it.

Gundam Age - The latest return to the basics, and more kid (read PTA) friendly Gundam. Not bad, few nice new twists.

Guilty Crown - Left over from autumn. Not seen much yet. Seems like a seikai-kei story, bit odd to see one in the Noitamina block. Plot seems a bit of a mess. Might need to watch it in one go at some point. Production IG show, so it looks the part.

Pretty good haul for the winter season. Lot more variation lately in tv-anime in comparison to the drought of 2008-2010.

Yes I am watching your exact list and so far liking it

Just finished watching Gundam Unicorn OVA # 1-4.

Now rewatching Macross 7, for is it the 7th or 8th time (It's my all time favourite anime TV series). On episode # 5 at the moment.

Also rewatching Mospeada, currently on episode # 14.

Will have to get to Black Lagoon and finish watching it soon also. Still got 4 or 5 eps to go and then onto the OVA.

Graham

Seriously? 7? Well I guess you watched it when it was aired on tv. That helps a lot. :p

BTW I've never watched the original version of Mospeada. Is it just better or waaaay better than the robotech version???