What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Wondering if we should change the title of this thread to "What anime are you currently watching?".

Dunno about the rest of you, but I seldom watch new anime, as to be frank, most of it is well, crap!

The present thread title seems to exclude older anime.

My recent view list has included such oldies but goodies as:

• Mospeada.
  • Gal Force - Eternal Story, Destruction, Stardust War.
  • Macross 7.
  • Black Lagoon TV / Black Lagoon OVA.
  • Last Exile.

None of which are current anime. Can't actually remember the last time I heard of anything current which is good.

Graham

I just ran through a mini Gundam-thon. Watched all of 00 for the first time, followed by 0079 for the 3rd, Zeta movies (absolute total ruination of the series btw), and F91 on bluray (BEAUTIFUL ON BLU!!) Aside from the normal gripes, I really liked 00, it incorporated a lot without feeling too much like a retreat. Casting Amuro as Ribbons was also delightful!

Next up, probably the Dirty Pair OVA remasters, then...Star Driver!

Wondering if we should change the title of this thread to "What anime are you currently watching?".

Dunno about the rest of you, but I seldom watch new anime, as to be frank, most of it is well, crap!

• Mospeada.
  • Macross 7.
  • Last Exile.

None of which are current anime. Can't actually remember the last time I heard of anything current which is good.

Graham

Seems like a good idea. For the most part, people just post on whatever anime they are watching, be it current or not. Maybe when we move on to version 5.0?

Can't actually remember the last time I heard of anything current which is good.

Graham

"Rinne no Lagrange" is good -- at least I think so. And I seem to have a reputation for being a kind of Anime Scrooge or something.

674057-fuko_ibuki_151.jpg

just fished the first half of CLANNAD for the second time.

don't know why, but this time the climax of the Fuko Ibuki story arc just really hit like a ton of bricks.

it made me tear up, something that very rarely happens indeed.

i do not recall being bothered overmuch by it my first time through the series some time ago,

but this time, it just hit me right in the heart.

man, i really need to get around to picking up the balance of this series now...

3427044726_acc57c714d_z.jpg

674057-fuko_ibuki_151.jpg

just fished the first half of CLANNAD for the second time.

don't know why, but this time the climax of the Fuko Ibuki story arc just really hit like a ton of bricks.

it made me tear up, something that very rarely happens indeed.

i do not recall being bothered overmuch by it my first time through the series some time ago,

but this time, it just hit me right in the heart.

man, i really need to get around to picking up the balance of this series now...

3427044726_acc57c714d_z.jpg

I'm not even remotely surprised by that. Even I cried manly tears at the end of that particular story arc. Now if they'd hurry up with After Story's bluray release...

I'm not even remotely surprised by that. Even I cried manly tears at the end of that particular story arc. Now if they'd hurry up with After Story's bluray release...

yeah, even made me want to add a Fuko-chan♥ figure to my collection.

i checked on them on EBAY though, and, YEGADS!! the overpricing!!

anyone know where i might find CLANNAD figures at any halfway reasonable price?

i also believe that i vagely recall hearing that AZONE or someone put out a Doll series,

but i suppose that if they're really are some out there, one would have to give up an arm and a kidney

for any of them...

at any rate, i'll be fine with completing CANNAD on DVD myself, as, not only do i feel

that there just isn't enough of a resolution boost with Animation on BRD,

but i also know for certain that there exists no BRD player out there as exquistely and gloriously overbuilt

as the PIONEER DV-09 that i have a well maintained healthy copy of;

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/DV-09/DV-09REPAIRED5-16-113.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/DV-09/DV-09REPAIRED5-16-112.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/DV-09/DSCF1959.jpg

at any rate, i'll be fine with completing CANNAD on DVD myself, as, not only do i feel

I used to think like this too...until I saw the evangelion movies in 1080p....the details and the sharpness was just amazing! After that, I have been re-doing my collection in HD.

Got a question for anyone with the US version of Clannad blu ray, are they using the same source as the Japanese release? I doubt it since the Japanese have 5 discs and the US version only has 3...anyone can confirm this?

the price difference is just a little too much to get the Japanese release (US$ 771.62) compared to the US version ($50.99 on Amazon)

it also doesn't help with the Japanese "After Story" also costing the same US$ 771.62 :(

but i also know for certain that there exists no BRD player out there as exquistely and gloriously overbuilt

as the PIONEER DV-09 that i have a well maintained healthy copy of;

You own a PS3, HD TV, and I assume have it hooked up through HDMI cables. There's no further reason for your ancient technology denial.

I used to think like this too...until I saw the evangelion movies in 1080p....the details and the sharpness was just amazing! After that, I have been re-doing my collection in HD.

Got a question for anyone with the US version of Clannad blu ray, are they using the same source as the Japanese release? I doubt it since the Japanese have 5 discs and the US version only has 3...anyone can confirm this?

the price difference is just a little too much to get the Japanese release (US$ 771.62) compared to the US version ($50.99 on Amazon)

it also doesn't help with the Japanese "After Story" also costing the same US$ 771.62 :(

Nope, not the same source, but the disc's look great regardless.

Would anyone happen to know what anime (if any) this .gif comes from? Sorry for the size.

Edit: Where are my manners?

Thanks!

its from Soul Eater. Her name is Tsubaki and that sequence is in episode 11 at around 0:14:20

Hey guys I don't know where else to ask this but I need help identifying a couple of anime I saw that was released on vhs tape in the usa back in the mid to late 80s. They've been floating around in my head for the longest time and its bugged me to the point I have to ask what they are.

1. The first is what can best be described as a romeo and juliet story involving undersea merpeople. I remember the main character had a sidekick that might have been his brother that was red colored and might have died tragically. There also might have been something about a broken horn, but the memory is very vague it might have been what caused the sidekicks death. This I believe was a feature length film.

2. The second is a mecha anime with a plot similar to the fantastic voyage where a robot gets shruken down and sent inside a human body to kill a disease. I remember a little black robot initially piloting the larger one, a transformation sequence, a giant octopus monster the main bad guy fed his slaves to, and a type of micro society of microscopic people that the human body is made up of. This might have been one episode of a longer series.

Hey guys I don't know where else to ask this but I need help identifying a couple of anime I saw that was released on vhs tape in the usa back in the mid to late 80s. They've been floating around in my head for the longest time and its bugged me to the point I have to ask what they are.

1. The first is what can best be described as a romeo and juliet story involving undersea merpeople. I remember the main character had a sidekick that might have been his brother that was red colored and might have died tragically. There also might have been something about a broken horn, but the memory is very vague it might have been what caused the sidekicks death. This I believe was a feature length film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0288217/

2. The second is a mecha anime with a plot similar to the fantastic voyage where a robot gets shruken down and sent inside a human body to kill a disease. I remember a little black robot initially piloting the larger one, a transformation sequence, a giant octopus monster the main bad guy fed his slaves to, and a type of micro society of microscopic people that the human body is made up of. This might have been one episode of a longer series.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443771/

• Mospeada.
  • Macross 7.
  • Last Exile.

Graham

I agree with this statement. Seems anime has gotten the pokemon virus. All of it seems generic. There are a few gems. Unicorn, Break Blade but its too few and far between.

I agree with this statement. Seems anime has gotten the pokemon virus. All of it seems generic. There are a few gems. Unicorn, Break Blade but its too few and far between.

How quickly you guys forgot Gurren Lagann & Haruhi Suzumiya, for shame.

Thanks, but no thanks Gubaba....wise ass.

I did find out what the first one was after checking the wikipedia of all anime in the 1980's. Its called Sea Prince and the Fire Child. I doubt I'll ever find out what the mecha anime is since so many 80s super robots look so much alike.

I aim to please, sir. :p

Thanks, but no thanks Gubaba....wise ass. I did find out what the first one was after checking the wikipedia of all anime in the 1980's. Its called Sea Prince and the Fire Child. I doubt I'll ever find out what the mecha anime is since so many 80s super robots look so much alike.
Are you sure? I mean, it kinda sounds like the Little Mermaid. You know, a Romeo and Juliet story. Star crossed lovers never meant to be together.... and the little red dude was a crab by the name of Sebastian that sounded Jamaican.

You're welcome.

ok,ok... at least my reply didn't have ...what Gubaba linked to! Sheesh!

Surprised there's not more love for the hard sci-fi Mouretsu Pirates. Well hard sci-fi as you can get that still has miniskirt wearing pirates... It's been an awesome albiet slow-paced series with a horrible name. The (only) space battle they've had so far was much more chess strategy than typical zoom-zoom-pew-pew.

I just finished the first season of Rosario+Vampire. Yeah its a harem anime, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. In a way it reminded me ofa reverse Teen Wolf, with the main character being a normal human in monster school. It was also pretty funny having the narrator mascot pop up from time to time to comment on the stupid stuff and keep a record of how short a fight Mokka had.

You own a PS3, HD TV, and I assume have it hooked up through HDMI cables. There's no further reason for your ancient technology denial.

oh, yes there is.

there's lots of stuff out there, Anime and otherwise, that has had only a VHS and/or LD release,

more than adequate reason for someone like me to keep a well maintained pick-of-the-litter VHS VCR and LD player around.

further, there is a ton of Anime out there that was tossed out during the early years of the 21st century on DVD

that likely won't ever see a BRD re-release. granted, a good BRD player will likely play DVD quite well,

but, for me, anyway, i like to keep my media playback chained to purpose-built players.

A; because it keeps wear and tear down to absolute minimum using a specific player exclusively

for it's primary intended purpose, and B; because this sort of practice simply feels "Right" to me.

in any effect, i suppose i'm just a bit of a tech fogie, behind the "Hot-N-Now" times,

and i don't necisarrily believe that that should be reflexively dismissed out of hand as a "Bad Thing"

Finally watched Tactics on Netflix. It's from 04 I think, but since it's part of Stars, supposedly soon it won't be there. Good series overall. The main plotline doesn't get too involving until the end of the series, but overall, a good watch.

Right now, I am watching Birdy the Mighty: Decode, which I originally thought would be kinda lame, but I have to admit, I'm prettey immersed in the story. It's got a really good plot, and very good characters. I'm watching episode 14 now, basically the start of the second season, and it's worth a view.

I recently watched Zero no Tsukaima through Season 3. The first season went pretty well. There was a decent story line and fanservice was kept to somewhat of a minimum. Season two was not as good, though. There were a few added characters and some additional fanservice. It did finish pretty well, with a nice emotional ending. Season 3, however, went completely downhill. There was very little story progression, which made way for gobs and gobs of fanservice. Every episode was an excuse to put more fanservice into the show, and to put characters into ridiculously compromising situations. New characters were introduced and were yet more sources of fanservice.... and the show turned more into a harem-type of anime. The two main characters worked well together, but it seemed like neither of them were growing along with the story. At this point, I grew tired of the fanservice and lack of character development. I am not planning on watching Season 4, but I may change my mind later just to see how the final season works out.

Rie Kugimiya is an incredible voice actress and her talent shows in Toradora. However, her excellent performance in Zero no Tsukaima is not enough to help this show gain the same kind of quality I'd hoped for.

Currently watching Tsubasa Chronicles. Amazing how characters from xxxHolic and Chobits are mixed into this series by Clamp. Watanuki and Yuko from xxxHolic are in it. Then there's the mini chobits persocoms, like Sumomo and Kotoko, whom randomly appear.

Surprised there's not more love for the hard sci-fi Mouretsu Pirates. Well hard sci-fi as you can get that still has miniskirt wearing pirates... It's been an awesome albiet slow-paced series with a horrible name. The (only) space battle they've had so far was much more chess strategy than typical zoom-zoom-pew-pew.

No doubt about it: a little dash of service, smarter heroines, sophisticated and detailed naval stratagems and tactics, and the show goes at full war power by episode 5 (a change from the usual episode 3 twister seen in most shows).

Interestingly, the series director appears to be implementing a new technique in which the viewer is rewarded for his/her patience after four seemingly-slow episodes, somewhat like picking the real men and women from the service-hungry boys (but no girls :lol: ).