What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

I've seen RGU the series but not the movie. Is it very different? I've heard that they take the symbolism aspect of things to the max for the film.

Similar feel, but yeah, it definately kicks things up past 11.

Edited by Keith

Just finished Demonbane. This is a good series, but the mecha (CG) animation parts seem not to combine too well with cell animation portions, like how it was in Vandread. But the story is decent, if a little rushed with some gaps left unexplained.

I am still watching Soul Eaters. So far, this is really really entertaining, like all the stupid stuff that Black Star and Soul come up with. Death the Kid has some serious Obsessive Compulsive Disorder issues (OCD) to deal with.

Also, just started Heroic Age. That old space fortress wreckage on the plant surface in Episode 1 is like the Macross SDF after crashing onto the Pacific island. The battle mecha the humans use seems like the battloid mode of the Mospeada Legioss AFC-01, especially the blue one.

Yes, I am taking on winter break with a full anime schedule.

I watched bits and pieces of Soul Eater with my brother a few months ago. It was pretty good, but the ending was a little soft. Everything else went well, though. I loved Kid because of his OCD tendencies. His obsession with symmetry is not that hard for me to empathize with. ;)

Finished Tekkaman Blade. It was pretty good, though I wasn't as enamored with it now as I was when I first saw it as Teknoman years ago. Considering how the series ended, I have some questions on how we got from there to Tekkaman Blade II for anyone able to answer:

How did they get D-Boy out of his comatose state?

Can he still achieve Blaster mode?

Right now re-watching the Black Rose Saga of Utena.

Also, does anybody know when the next Revival of Evangelion film is coming out?

Edited by CrusherJ

If you watched the Media Blasters release of Tekkaman Blade, it has all of the bonus material released with the series, including this:

Ok, here's what I think then....

So D-Boy's mind was still jacked up and the Radam showing up jacked it up even more. Aki, in an attempt to help D-Boy, becomes a Tekkaman, but D-Boy is scared of her. Then, because his mind is still jacked up, D-Boy creates some kind of miniature black hole in order to destroy Earth. Aki goes into the black hole, fights him, deals him a fatal blow that shocks him back to his senses and all is well. Is that right?

And can he still reach Blaster mode? If he can, I wonder why he didn't use it against Tekkaman Dead?

Ok...there are a few sci-fi animes that I really recommend as a must see; like Macross, Ghost in the Shell, Eureka 7 and Evangelion.

But after watching Heroic Age, I would say this is at the top of the heap.

It has the best elements from Macross Frontier, Gundam 00, Mospeada, Eureka 7, Star Trek and Stargate mixed into one really awesome anime. The story revolves around humans from different parts of the galaxy trying to fight off attacking alien tribes and their attempt to recapture Earth from alien control, hence Mospeada-like story. The main characters travel to various locations in the Argonaut (like the SDF-1), to solve a puzzle left by some ancient race. At the same time Princess Dhianeila tries to stop the on going war by attempting communicate with the other races so to understand each other, like Setsuna using Gundam 00's GN particle to connect the humanity conscious. And of course, AGE, the hero of the story is the young man that can change into a giant organic fighting weapon, like an EVA unit in Evangelion.

In short, awesome story, awesome battles, and awesome ending. The only thing not awesome are the Princess' two idotic brothers, scheming like Leon in Macross Frontier. Wish this series can continue.

Again, highly recommend...Heroic Age.

I just finished Sekirei and Sekirei:Pure Engagement. Even with the extreme amount of fan service and female characters with future lower back pain problems, I would still recommend it.

The story revolves around 108 genetically modified girls who must find a male/female partner to pair up and fight against other groups in a cruel game set up by a large corporation for entertainment purposes. The main male character is kind of a loser at first after failing the college entrance exam two years in a row. Once he pairs up with a few girls, that when his character changes and the story gets interesting. Each girl has a different power and fighting style with their full potential released after finding a partner. The battles can get cruel and bloody with some getting killed.

But there are comedy moments since 8 of girls and 1 guy live under the same roof. So you know what I mean.

In a way, this is similar to the other anime Freezing, with genetically enhanced girls needing to partner up with a male student to form a fighting team. One of the main girls(Tsukuimi) in Sekerei looks exactly like Satellizer in Freezing.

Don't watch Ghost Hunt unless you really like haunted stories. I know this is an anime, but it was really scary at some of the haunting parts. It has some comedy mixed in to lighten things up. But I lost many nights of peaceful worry-free sleep because of this show.

Chaos HEAd is excellent, but be prepared to get mind f*d. Your brain will turn into a pile of twisted spaghetti and explode into a pink mist.

Damn, who's left now, Funimation, 4kids, and...?

4kids doesn't count.

-Funimation

-Sentia Filmworks (aka ADV in disguise)

-Media Blasters

-Nozomi (rightstuf's label)

-Manga Entertainment

-NIS

-Aniplex

-AnimEigo (no new licenses, but still releasing stuff they own).

Edited by Keith

Don't watch Ghost Hunt unless you really like haunted stories. I know this is an anime, but it was really scary at some of the haunting parts. It has some comedy mixed in to lighten things up. But I lost many nights of peaceful worry-free sleep because of this show.

For the exact same reasons, i recommend Ghost Hunt. Really freaky doll episode....but awesome!

4kids doesn't count.

-Funimation

-Media Blasters

-Manga Entertainment

-NIS

-Aniplex

Well, hopefully someone will pick up the Gundam Liscense then, I was looking forward to seeing Turn A a little bit.

Chaos HEAd is excellent, but be prepared to get mind f*d. Your brain will turn into a pile of twisted spaghetti and explode into a pink mist.

Ghost Hunt was very awesome and very, very creepy in places.

Chaos;Head was awful. The first few episodes were kind of fun and showed potential, but then it veered into pure suck.

4kids doesn't count.

-Funimation

-Media Blasters

-Manga Entertainment

-NIS

-Aniplex

Isn't Manga UK only now? Technically, Disney should be on the list for the Ghibli catalog.

Been watching Lucky Star reruns. What is it about comedy involving Japanese schoolgirls that makes you want to keep watching? It all started with K-ON!, and now I seem to have developed a taste for high school comedy anime. The only kind of anime I ever used to watch were hardcore cyberpunk stuff like GitS and Armitage.

Back in the day, I even found Macross 7 too "saccharine" for my tastes.

Been watching Lucky Star reruns. What is it about comedy involving Japanese schoolgirls that makes you want to keep watching? It all started with K-ON!, and now I seem to have developed a taste for high school comedy anime. The only kind of anime I ever used to watch were hardcore cyberpunk stuff like GitS and Armitage.

Back in the day, I even found Macross 7 too "saccharine" for my tastes.

It's a natural progression. I highly reccomend Azumanga Daio, & School Rumble. I don't know why high school commedies are so endearing, maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's middle age, or maybe it's just quality storytelling. For more anime fandom commentary & fun, Genshiken is great, as is the godfather of the genre, Otaku no Video.

It's a natural progression. I highly reccomend Azumanga Daio, & School Rumble. I don't know why high school commedies are so endearing, maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's middle age, or maybe it's just quality storytelling. For more anime fandom commentary & fun, Genshiken is great, as is the godfather of the genre, Otaku no Video.

LOL! Middle-age...ouch. :lol:

I'm personally attracted to the comedy elements of the shows. Sometimes it;s just nice to watch something lighthearted after a days work and laugh away the fatigue.

Thanks for the recommendation, BTW. I've been meaning to watch School Rumble. Quite a few people have recommended it. Funny thing about Azumanga Daioh; I've only come across ero-doujinshi's of the manga so far. Strange... :huh:

Been watching Baka and Test, too. Typical underdog-makes-good plot with staple otaku fodder [tsundere and yandere characters in love with underdog protag], but I like the individual characters.

LOL! Middle-age...ouch. :lol:

I'm personally attracted to the comedy elements of the shows. Sometimes it;s just nice to watch something lighthearted after a days work and laugh away the fatigue.

Thanks for the recommendation, BTW. I've been meaning to watch School Rumble. Quite a few people have recommended it. Funny thing about Azumanga Daioh; I've only come across ero-doujinshi's of the manga so far. Strange... :huh:

Been watching Baka and Test, too. Typical underdog-makes-good plot with staple otaku fodder [tsundere and yandere characters in love with underdog protag], but I like the individual characters.

Before I forget again, Kare Kano is also a great series. It leans more towards drama than comedy fairly often, but it's some of Anno's best work.

Before I forget again, Kare Kano is also a great series. It leans more towards drama than comedy fairly often, but it's some of Anno's best work.

Anno? As in Hideaki Anno, he of the whiny kid sitting on a foldable chair under a spotlight? I've got to check this one out.

Anno? As in Hideaki Anno, he of the whiny kid sitting on a foldable chair under a spotlight? I've got to check this one out.

Yup, and yes you do. I don't want to spoil the series for you, but I will tell you that Anno & the original manga creator had some serious disputes during the production of the series which lead to some pretty awesome later episode oddoties, and Anno leaving Gainax for the second time.

Edited by Keith

Birdy the Mighty(1995) and Birdy the Mighty:Decode(2008/2009) are both excellent.

You can't go wrong when the story is about a hot looking inter-galatic federal investigator chasing down bad guys on Earth. :p

Yup, and yes you do. I don't want to spoil the series for you, but I will tell you that Anno & the original manga creator had some serious disputes during the production of the series which lead to some pretty awesome later episode oddoties, and Anno leaving Gaianx for the second time.

I've got to get my hands on this one. All these behind-the-scenes controversies alone are worth the watch.

Birdy the Mighty(1995) and Birdy the Mighty:Decode(2008/2009) are both excellent.

You can't go wrong when the story is about a hot looking inter-galatic federal investigator chasing down bad guys on Earth. :p

I like the wacky title. If it's as crazy as I hope it is, this series has earned a new fan.

Got the pleasant surprise that the first episode of Nisemonogatari (sequel to Bakemonogatari) came out. Very happy to see that it keeps the aesthetics and wonderful dialogue of Bakemonogatari.