What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Recently marathoned episodes 1-13 of Tiger & Bunny thanks to a free promotional streaming offer that Bandai Channel was doing.

I must say I like the show. A lot. It's a better anime take on superheroes than the recent Marvel-Madhouse productions were. Good anination, some interesting character relationships - this is the sort of title that would have been a gateway show in the US....back in the days that young/new anime fans actually bought videos/DVDs and anime was popular enough to get broadcast.

Then again, the same could be said for Michiko & Hatchin which I picked the first 2 blurays up for at an Amazon sale (1500yen each). Love the visual style of the show!

Apart from that, Im slowly making my way through Patlabor TV which is so much fun and so nicely cell animated that I dont think i ever want to actually finish it ^^;

was having a lazy sunday and chanced upon a 4 episode clutch of Darker than Black on Animax. i've seen a few earlier episodes to know what was going on but never really got around to following it religiously. well, this tail end of the series (ep.20-23) really grabbed me and ended up watching the remaining 2 episodes online (3, if you count the epilogue of sorts), and then after that watching the 4-episode gaiden OVA. so my lazy sunday ended up stretching to the early hours of monday, but it was well worth it.

looking forward to starting on season 2

Apart from that, Im slowly making my way through Patlabor TV which is so much fun and so nicely cell animated that I dont think i ever want to actually finish it ^^;

Yeah, I got the same feeling when I was watching it. It's one of the very few anime with a "villain of the week" kind of episodes that I nevertheless enjoyed to the fullest.

When you do finish, do remember that there's even more Patlabor goodness in the OVA The New Files which just basically continues were the TV series left off. And it has 2 or 3 of the funniest episodes of them all.

When you do finish, do remember that there's even more Patlabor goodness in the OVA The New Files which just basically continues were the TV series left off. And it has 2 or 3 of the funniest episodes of them all.

Actually, they're meant to be watched interspersed with the TV series. Agree fully that there are some of the funniest (and best) episodes of the franchise in the bunch.

New Summer season started up. Looks like I'll be following Kami-Sama Dolls, Usagi Drop, Kami-Sama no Memo-Chou and Mawaru Penguindrum. I'll also be continuing Nichijou, Tiger and Bunny and Steins;Gate from the Spring season.

I started watching Highschool of the dead, and I couldn't help but notice the school nurse reminds me of the main character from Grenadier. Grenadeir isn't a bad show once you get over the fact that Rushuna has huge boobs and uses them as part of her revolver reloading technique. The final battle is actually one of the most impressive anime gunfights ever.

EDIT: Oh yeah the male lead isn't an whimpy whiner boy either.

Edited by renegadeleader1

Grenadier is indeed a good show.

I think they actually did do another version of Giant Robo, didn't turn out anywhere near as well.

I'd like to see it in its entirety: a group began to sub it but dropped it after two or three eps only – a bit short to judge the real values of the show...

I started watching Highschool of the dead, and I couldn't help but notice the school nurse reminds me of the main character from Grenadier. Grenadeir isn't a bad show once you get over the fact that Rushuna has huge boobs and uses them as part of her revolver reloading technique. The final battle is actually one of the most impressive anime gunfights ever.

EDIT: Oh yeah the male lead isn't an whimpy whiner boy either.

Is season two of HOTD out yet? Awesome series BTW.

Is season two of HOTD out yet? Awesome series BTW.

No. There's an OVA episode called "Drifters of the Dead" that came out recently, but no season 2. Which is surprising considering how popular it is. They might be waiting for the manga to end before they continue?

Many years ago I saw a series called "Silent Mobius" but this when it was only on Laser Disc, recently forgotten until a few days ago while browsing online that this title popped in my head and I saw the DVD sets, is it worth getting? For what ever reasons I always wanted to watch it, plus the art work rocks! B))

Bought Cowboy Bebop the movie, Xam'd lost memories all on blu-ray. Anyone know where i can find cover-art for import blu-rays?

Also the dub on xam'd sucks.

That's because dubs suck, watch it with the original audio!

I finished HOTD and liked it alot and hope a new season comes out. When they introduced that sleazy teacher I thought he was going to ruin the show, but I was actually surprised with how he was handled. Now on to Claymore. I heard a lot of things comparing it Berserk as a kinda kindred spirit to it. All I want to know is if I liked Berserk will I like this?

Watched everything Dominion Tank Police, the 4 episode OVA was the best bring back memorys of the Manga Entainments days and a single CG Tank Swat was terrible, really cannot stand some of the CG anime from the early late 90's early 00's.

Started Victory Gundam and will be watching Usagi Drop as that is realeased.

Many years ago I saw a series called "Silent Mobius" but this when it was only on Laser Disc, recently forgotten until a few days ago while browsing online that this title popped in my head and I saw the DVD sets, is it worth getting? For what ever reasons I always wanted to watch it, plus the art work rocks! B))

It is worth it, yes

Be aware that the TV series differs considerably than the pair of movies, though: I assume you watched these because AFAIK they're the only ones released as Laser Disks soemthing like 12 or 15 years ago...

It is worth it, yes

Be aware that the TV series differs considerably than the pair of movies, though: I assume you watched these because AFAIK they're the only ones released as Laser Disks soemthing like 12 or 15 years ago...

Thanks Gui, I'll definitely get the DVD's! I think the place was called Tempo Records in Tarzana, CA. and they had a whole variety of LD's. I literally forgot about this series til just a few days ago. I'm looking forward to seeing it now! My buddy at the time had a laserdisc player and we watched of some of it, but with no translations he got bored of it and that was it for me seeing it again. Not sure if it was the TV series or Movies. Yaaa something new to watch!! :D

Recently marathoned episodes 1-13 of Tiger & Bunny thanks to a free promotional streaming offer that Bandai Channel was doing.

I must say I like the show. A lot. It's a better anime take on superheroes than the recent Marvel-Madhouse productions were. Good anination, some interesting character relationships - this is the sort of title that would have been a gateway show in the US....back in the days that young/new anime fans actually bought videos/DVDs and anime was popular enough to get broadcast.

This weeks episdoe was pretty good.

Opens up with domestic violence

That's because dubs suck, watch it with the original audio!

Did that. its moresoe i can't tell the difference between characters in the dub. Most don't suck tho.

Recently rewatched Gundam ZZ. Last time I had seen it was on VHS, so the BD version was a treat. Since my memory of it was pretty hazy, I had some fears about how it had aged. Surprisingly it holds up quite well. The over the top comedy isn't as bad as I remember and the light hearted first 20 eps and something quite different after Zeta's grim finale. It also fleshed out the characters, something what ZZ's predecessors did not always have time for.

I've probably been exposed to too much modern anime as Judou's simple minded, can do attitude is a breath of fresh air between all the teen angst and effeminate males. Then there is Elpeo Puru, who's silly cute antics make Unicorns' Marida Cruz's past all the more harsh. Haman Karn steals the show, but just doesn't get enough screen time. Another thing I did not remember was the massacre on the neon-zeon side, did any of them survive at all?

Off course ZZ isn't one of the best Gundams, the tone sometimes switches at akward times, the harem episode just before the finale seemed completely out of place, and some plot points really did not make sense. Same goes for the mecha the ZZ's gattai like build seemed to have no purpose at all. Still some of the action was very well done and while not always practical the mecha designs do look cool.

Since I was busy with ZZ, I also mixed in the DVD of Chars counter attack. Wonderful handdrawn action sequences, beautiful designs with lot of attention to detail. But why on earth did they make Quess and Hathaway so incredibly annoying? Unless I miss something, I can't sympathise with either character at all. No Sayla Mass is also a bit of a miss, especially since the anime centers on the Amuro and Char rivalry.

I've been on a Miyazaki kick recently. Currently watching Kiki's delivery service. Previously I watched The Cat Returns and Porco Russo. As everyone knows, he is a master storyteller, Kiki is something I normally would not be interested in but it is excellent. Same for all of them of course.

Loved Paprika. Awesome work by Satoshi Kon once again.

Watched Otaku no Video for the first time. Loved the self deprecating humor and the innumerable Macross references. It really made my day.

Loved Paprika. Awesome work by Satoshi Kon once again.

Watched Otaku no Video for the first time. Loved the self deprecating humor and the innumerable Macross references. It really made my day.

You may want to check out Genshiken if you haven't already.

I finished the first disc of Claymore. Its okay, but I wish it wasn't as predictable as it is. I already seem to have a sense of where this series is going. Maybe its me and I've just seen too much anime these days.

EDIT: I do have one question. What is it about a Claymore's body that would make a bunch of horny rapist bandits say "no thanks"? Well except for the one wounded bandit that attempted it on the revenge/humiliation angle before he got whupped on.

Edited by renegadeleader1

EDIT: I do have one question. What is it about a Claymore's body that would make a bunch of horny rapist bandits say "no thanks"? Well except for the one wounded bandit that attempted it on the revenge/humiliation angle before he got whupped on.

Read the manga, but my best guess is

a certain youma part is implanted there

Just finished with both season of "To aru majutsu no Index" and "To aru kagaku no railgun", awesome series and I love how both anime shows cameo characters from each series. Can't wait for the next season of Index.

I finished the first disc of Claymore. Its okay, but I wish it wasn't as predictable as it is. I already seem to have a sense of where this series is going. Maybe its me and I've just seen too much anime these days.

If you're going to invest in claymore and like it, it's worth disregarding the ending and pick up on the manga where it really starts to deviate from the anime. I think it's around chapter 50. The chapters are an easy read. There's many many scanlation sites to find them. Right now it's up to chapter 116.

My 2cents...I don't think it's like berserk at all, it's more like dbz with a song of ice and fire thrown in for plot twists.

Edited by Negotiator

If you're going to invest in claymore and like it, it's worth disregarding the ending and pick up on the manga where it really starts to deviate from the anime. I think it's around chapter 50. The chapters are an easy read. There's many many scanlation sites to find them. Right now it's up to chapter 116.

My 2cents...I don't think it's like berserk at all, it's more like dbz with a song of ice and fire thrown in for plot twists.

Dbz is exactly what came to mind when I started getting into the heart of it and they started talking ranks and power levels. Heck a lot of it reminds me of other things. Its like this show is the ultimate amalgam.

I actually stopped watching this for a little while because I got Appleseed: Ex Machina. Its a fun little romp. I really like the nice little twist they gave the head of the Posiedon Corporation.