What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

17 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Oh, so much.  Sunrise apparently tailored The Witch from Mercury to a younger audience after being told that "Gundam is for old people" by a school tour group, and I've kind of started to suspect that they took it perhaps a little too personally.  There've been quite a few occasions in the story where I've been left with the distinct impression that their goal changed from "make Gundam relevant to today's youth" to "mock today's youth for not 'getting' Gundam".  

Spy x Family, on the other hand... this show's just a gem.  I'm getting caught up on it, and I honestly don't think there's been a weak episode yet and I'm into the second season.  It's funny, cute, engaging, quirky... the premise itself is out there enough to be distinctive.  That said, it really feels like a stronger term than "Mama Bear" is needed to describe Yor.  She has that same energy that made Fullmetal Alchemist's Izumi Curtis the thing that the toughest soldiers in the country told scary stories about, but she's even more superhuman and has an actual child to protect.  Even "Mama T-Rex" hardly seems strong enough.  She can scare trained attack dogs just by growling back...

I love Spy X Family but Part 2 has been weaker that part 1.

Since this thread is alive again,  might as well chime in.

Group watched most everything this season,  will focus on a handful.

Spy x Family S2..  much of what I was going to say has already been covered.   I too enjoyed this series,  apparently a movie and something else has already been announced.

Chainsaw Man..  much complaining about this anime in the viewing group.   I liked it,  but apparently its not real faithful to its source material.    Not that I would know anything about that as this was my foray into the series.   

Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute!..   its on my list probably in the next few days or so I will have some updates  trying to play catch up.

Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita..   Pretty average overall,   not a terrible watch but not something I would recommend.   If you like Isekai genre its pretty vanilla along with loli catgirl.

Yuusha Party wo Tsuihou Sareta Beast Tamer, Saikyoushu no Nekomimi Shoujo to Deau...   this one was pretty popular amongst the group.   Harem OP protagonist series.    I stuck through with it to the end,  but another easy pass.

Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai!...   This is a great series,  love it even more because it pisses off the right people.    Hopefully we get more,  worth the watch.

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners..   I mentioned this before,  this was a great series.   I'd love to see more in this world.

Renai Flops..  I was goaded into this series,  and I am glad I stuck with it.   It goes from 0 to 100 really quick.   Another Harem type but with quite the twist.   Its worth the watch.

Futoku no Guild..   Most of the group passed on this,  but I am glad I gave it a chance.   Yes its ecchi,  but its pretty funny.   Personally I am a big fan of the art style they use during the OP with how they fill in the CG graphics.    Watch the OP and the OGs here will get it.

Akiba Maid Sensou..   umm  yeah..   I am not done with this yet,  but I will complete it.    Kinda hard to describe its a maid series,  that is pretty hardcore.    Yeah that sums it up nicely.

Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro..   this adaptation has pissed me off to no end.   I thought they goofed up MOD pretty bad,  and they topped themselves with this one.  

I've been putting it off, but I'm getting ready to start This Spoke Rohan KishibeJojo's Bizarre Adventure Part VI: Stone Ocean, and maybe Cyberpunk: Edgerunners.

My hopes for the latter aren't very high.  I tried the game it's promoting, and found it pretty mediocre with the bugs being far and away the most entertaining part.

Kinda mixed feelings about Stone Ocean too... more because I already know how it ends via the manga than anything and the ending's pretty bittersweet.  Still hoping for David Pro to announce they'll continue into Steel Ball Run and the recently-concluded Jojolion.  (IIRC, the 9th and final part, Jojolands, is supposed to start serialization in February.)

OK, feeling a bit thrown by Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe.

Even though it's still David Production, the art style for the OVA is very different from Diamond is Unbreakable.  So much so that Rohan looks like a completely different character... or a different person cosplaying as him.  

EDIT: Well, that was shockingly short.  Just four chapters adapted, each into their own episode, and unusually for a Jojo series none dealing with stand users at all... it's four separate paranormal incidents unconnected to stands, three of which don't actually involve Rohan at all.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Still waiting for Golden Kamuy to return from hiatus.

Finished Spy x Family, great comfy series. Looking forward to the movie.

Currently watching Witch from Mercury, it's ok. The introduction of the terrorists characters is making it turn for the better tho so we'll see where it leads.

Finished Part 2 of Spy x Family.  I'm impressed by how solid and consistently enjoyable the series is.  I think the series really strikes a great balance between the slice of life family bits and the action-oriented spy bits.  It's especially enjoyable when those two meet in the middle, either with Anya getting involved in Loid's business or Loid going to the same extreme lengths in his helicopter parenting that he does in his superspy work.

Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe fell kinda flat for me.  Partly because of the significant difference in art style, and partly because the stories really are inconsequential ghost stories that don't even really have anything to do with the nominal protagonist.

On 1/1/2023 at 3:18 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I am planning to watch the Isekai Quartet movie soon.

Is that out?

I'll have to keep an eye out of it.

Just wrapped up a rewatch of Rascal does not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai..   and the associated movie Rascal does not dream of dreaming girl.   

This series is very much a gem,  and the movie goes hand and hand with the TV series.    While I will admit that the movie changes the overall theme of the TV series to a much more serious tone.   It does an excellent job wrapping up most of the loose ends that the TV series did not cover.    If you have not watched this I would strongly recommend both.

18 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Is that out?

I'll have to keep an eye out of it.

Just wrapped up a rewatch of Rascal does not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai..   and the associated movie Rascal does not dream of dreaming girl.   

This series is very much a gem,  and the movie goes hand and hand with the TV series.    While I will admit that the movie changes the overall theme of the TV series to a much more serious tone.   It does an excellent job wrapping up most of the loose ends that the TV series did not cover.    If you have not watched this I would strongly recommend both.

Yes it is out.

I finished Witch craft works and it was great.

On 12/28/2022 at 9:12 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I finished More than a married couple, but not lovers. It was okay nothing great.

I finished that too. And I have to say it is no wonder that Japan has a problem with the birth rate. Even with in a show where the premise is putting people into a forced relationship to train for real marriage the show runners can’t come to any conclusion for the love triangle.

If young people believe this is how it is going to be your society is doom.

[remark:] I recognize that this is a gross oversimplification of the problems the Japanese society has but it was just something that came to mind

So I gave the Isekai Quartet Movie : Another world a go.

It's about what you would expect of a movie from series that focuses on shorts and gags. 

It wasn't the series strong point,  however it was still mildly entertaining.       It does have plot references that loop back to the other franchises,  but it leaves many open plot threads when all is said and done.

But its Isekai Quartet so...   yeah should not have expected much.

After the credits roll there is a short animation that brings in 2 more characters from ReZero and without saying S3 is coming.. says S3 is coming.

On 1/3/2023 at 9:21 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Yes it is out.

I finished Witch craft works and it was great.

Witchcraft Works is great. Killer ending too.

I also want to be princess-carried! B))

image.jpeg.5ebeaf59a67dfa24ea97246e642ab48d.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Buddy Daddies can best be described in "Like X but Y" form.

Like Spy x Family, but intensely irritating.

Spy x Family's Anya was an adorably precocious kid who, in her own way, desperately wanted to help her adoptive father.  The kid in Buddy Daddies is a few years younger, a fair bit more realistic, and as a result a LOT more annoying and detrimental to the story's entertainment value.  It doesn't help that there's no real reason for the protagonists to keep the 4 year old kid around either.  They're hitmen, not spies, and she's not a part of their cover.  She's just a rather bratty four year old.  (Let's be honest, the "major event interrupted due to kid needing to pee" gag is funny exactly once in a story.  Past that point it's just grating.)

• 1 month later...

This season's got a few mildly diverting offerings.

Nothing mind-blowing, but it's a good crop of romcoms if nothing else.

Tomo-chan is a Girl! is more or less your form letter "Tomboy loves childhood friend but worries he doesn't see her as a girl" romcom.  It's taking no risks and pushing no envelopes, but it's still entertaining enough to be well worth a watch.

The Ice Guy and His Cool Female Colleague is exactly what it says on the tin.  It's a fairly conventional office comedy-slash-romcom but for the fact that somewhere around half of the cast are descended from various yokai and nobody seems to find that more than slightly odd.  This one really loves the "opposites attract" gimmick, so the main duo are an emotional young man descended from a yuki-onna who struggles to control his ice powers when he gets excited and a very reserved young lady who both join the workforce at a nondescript Japanese corporation together.  The satellite couples in the story are similar, a reserved young man and a bubbly kitsune girl, and a series young saleswoman and her downright bubbly part-phoenix guy friend.  

Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro! is into its second season and is still... itself.  They've hit the point where Nagatoro might have an actual rival, but it's still a first class ticket on the tsundere express.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun has hit the point where it's now just a full-blown shounen battle anime, which kinda sucks all the fun out of the premise.

I still haven't finished Buddy Daddies because it's like having my eyes sandpapered... what an unpleasant "me too" knockoff of Spy x Family.

This season for me has been far better than I thought.

Handydman Saitou is just so good.

Borfuri s2 has been great.

Campfire Cooking is hilarious.

Danmachi s4 is my favorite.

Tomo chan is funny.

Isekai Nonbiri Nouka is much better than I thought it would be.

I love the Angel next door spoils me rotten.

I took a step back mostly because I was and still am utterly disgusted with how they f'd up Utawarerumono.

But with that said..  we just finished a viewing of the original Armitage III ovas.    I dug out the PolyMatrix movie and probably will screen that next.

As for this season..

Tomo-chan was my real interest.   The anime is funny and the manga is even better.

Danmachi 2nd part of S4 I am playing catch up with.  Looks good so far.

Angel Next door is pretty amusing.

S2 of the vampire dies in no time..   its stupid.    But pretty funny.

Edit: Removed my post because it's not current. I fail at reading.

The only new anime I've watched in a decade was Chainsaw Man. I'm not as head over heels about it as others, but I liked it well enough.

Edited by Duke Togo

On 3/10/2023 at 3:29 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Borfuri s2 has been great.

Hikaru, what's your take on BOFURI overall? Had it recommended to me by a friend, but I'm not big on "takes place in a video game" anime.

16 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

Hikaru, what's your take on BOFURI overall? Had it recommended to me by a friend, but I'm not big on "takes place in a video game" anime.

I've only seen season 1. I would describe it as cute but inoffensive with a terribly convenient plot. But it is good fun if you like a lighter watch (at least season 1).

3 hours ago, Scyla said:

I've only seen season 1. I would describe it as cute but inoffensive with a terribly convenient plot. But it is good fun if you like a lighter watch (at least season 1).

Yeah I'd 2nd this.    I haven't finished S1 started watching to prepare for S2 and I kinda just gave up on it.    It wasn't strong enough to keep my interest,  not that I probably wont go back and finish it.. but very meh.

11 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Yeah I'd 2nd this.    I haven't finished S1 started watching to prepare for S2 and I kinda just gave up on it.    It wasn't strong enough to keep my interest,  not that I probably wont go back and finish it.. but very meh.

Maybe you need some experience with MMORPG games to fully enjoy it.

As an ex avid WoW player (a tank no less) than I got a couple of good laughs out of it.

Finally caught the hour long Attack on Titan final season's first episode, and damn, that was intense. I've enjoyed the ride from the beginning, AOT will certainly go down as one of my favorite anime ever, I've read the manga so I know the ending that's coming, they didn't stick the landing but I enjoyed it all the way through. That newest episode is gorgeous, and brutal, really good beginning of the end. 

6 hours ago, Duke Togo said:

I love it.  If you are looking for anything sane, do not watch.  It is outlandish to the max.  I love the admins grousing over maple. 

I am a huge fan of Mii's voice actor too.  The Japanese one Satou Rina.

16 minutes ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I love it.  If you are looking for anything sane, do not watch.  It is outlandish to the max.

I just finished up a long-overdue rewatch of Haruhi, so sane is definitely not what I'm looking for right now, lol. I'm looking for more hijinks.