What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

TIL Skeleton Knight in Another World's OP is by one of those YouTube anime music cover artists who's managed to transition to the supply side of his particular equation.  Pretty cool.

19 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

TIL Skeleton Knight in Another World's OP is by one of those YouTube anime music cover artists who's managed to transition to the supply side of his particular equation.  Pretty cool.

I was shocked when I heard the song the first time.  I never thought Pellek would get this opportunity.

Love after world domination was great as usual.

1 hour ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I was shocked when I heard the song the first time.  I never thought Pellek would get this opportunity.

Love after world domination was great as usual.

Massive time skip going on with Love after World domination.   They skipped over a hell of alot of content and are very close to being caught up.     I am curious as to if they are just going to so some things out of order or if they plan on passing where the manga is currently.

The last episode of Ascendance of a Bookworm S3 really left me in tears.

It's a weird place to end a season, that's for sure.  With a closing title card like that, I wonder if they'll do a season four or not.

Esp. since the light novel doesn't end on such a sad note at that point.  It veers more or less straight back into comedy when she meets her new adoptive families and parks there for the duration as she begins a printing-focused rampage with blueblood financial clout behind her.  Especially once Karstadt's wife gets involved.

Spoiler

Myne's separation from her biological family doesn't last very long either.  All the magic contract really does is prevent them from publicly acknowledging their familial relation, so Myne can come up with excuse after excuse to see them through the simple expedient of incredible nepotism thanks to being an archnoble and the new High Bishop (AKA Ferdinand's new boss, on paper anyway).  She uses her business relationship with Lutz to have him carry letters to and from her family for her, Gunther gets a promotion and his unit consistently land jobs as her protection detail, she becomes a patron of Tuuli's by having her custom-make every hairpin she uses (which she buys frequently) as well as her point of contact for selling them to other nobles, and as of volume 18 she was working on a way to become Effa's patron too by introducing new dying techniques and reviving old ones.

If they do pick up from there, it'll be interesting to see how far they run with it... it kind of bogs down after the timeskip between parts 3 and 4.

That said, I am glad for a few omissions in the anime version...

Spoiler

... like the reason Arno is such a prat.  He resents Fran because Fran was the favorite of their previous master, a blue priestess and orphanage director who had an inappropriate interest in younger men.  That priestess killed herself when she realized her affairs made her ineligible to return to noble society after the war, leaving Fran traumatized by both long-term sexual abuse AND the suicide.  Her... tastes... are the reason the orphanage director's office is in the boys wing despite the previous director being a woman.  It takes the story a distressingly long time to introduce a blue priest or priestess other than Ferdinand who isn't a complete piece of sh*t.

53 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's a weird place to end a season, that's for sure.  With a closing title card like that, I wonder if they'll do a season four or not.

Esp. since the light novel doesn't end on such a sad note at that point.  It veers more or less straight back into comedy when she meets her new adoptive families and parks there for the duration as she begins a printing-focused rampage with blueblood financial clout behind her.  Especially once Karstadt's wife gets involved.

Hide contents

Myne's separation from her biological family doesn't last very long either.  All the magic contract really does is prevent them from publicly acknowledging their familial relation, so Myne can come up with excuse after excuse to see them through the simple expedient of incredible nepotism thanks to being an archnoble and the new High Bishop (AKA Ferdinand's new boss, on paper anyway).  She uses her business relationship with Lutz to have him carry letters to and from her family for her, Gunther gets a promotion and his unit consistently land jobs as her protection detail, she becomes a patron of Tuuli's by having her custom-make every hairpin she uses (which she buys frequently) as well as her point of contact for selling them to other nobles, and as of volume 18 she was working on a way to become Effa's patron too by introducing new dying techniques and reviving old ones.

If they do pick up from there, it'll be interesting to see how far they run with it... it kind of bogs down after the timeskip between parts 3 and 4.

That said, I am glad for a few omissions in the anime version...

Reveal hidden contents

... like the reason Arno is such a prat.  He resents Fran because Fran was the favorite of their previous master, a blue priestess and orphanage director who had an inappropriate interest in younger men.  That priestess killed herself when she realized her affairs made her ineligible to return to noble society after the war, leaving Fran traumatized by both long-term sexual abuse AND the suicide.  Her... tastes... are the reason the orphanage director's office is in the boys wing despite the previous director being a woman.  It takes the story a distressingly long time to introduce a blue priest or priestess other than Ferdinand who isn't a complete piece of sh*t.

At the end of the episode it says to be continued...  So I am hopeful.  After the credits there is actually more show.  I almost missed it.

I really want to sit down with the studio doing Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It! and the original author and ask them something.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to throw a protracted storyline about an attempted gang rape into a happy-go-lucky romcom about socially awkward academics?

But for the last two minutes or so, the entire final episode is Kanade being abducted by the guy she was seeing after turning him down and him and his generic hooligan buddies going back and forth between sexual assault and threats about same until Yukimura finds them and tries to talk them to death.

WHAT. THE. HELL.

I can't recall the last time a series made me this angry.

Wow, Love after world domination had a bad episode. 

If they are trying to end it where I think,  then they needed to introduce Judgement princess as a series villain.    They jumped around all over the place with the plot progression and I think this is an end result of doing so.  

53 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

If they are trying to end it where I think,  then they needed to introduce Judgement princess as a series villain.    They jumped around all over the place with the plot progression and I think this is an end result of doing so.  

I hope so because the episode was really just a waste.

And with the 2022 Spring season drawing to a close,  I figured I'd wrap on what I can so far.

Yuusha, Yamemasu,  Overall I thought this series was very dull,  it really turned into a slog halfway thought it,  and after reading ahead abit the climax was anything but a climax.   To be fair there is much after this anime ends that in some ways makes it a little easier to swallow but this anime adaptation can easily be passed on.

Otome Game Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii Sekai desu,   Most of what has been said already in this thread is correct.   The main character in both the manga and the anime really comes off as an ASS.   I think the Anime makes him look even worse mostly because of edits for time because of the 12 episode limit.     Also having read into this pretty far,  I probably would say give the manga a shot if you liked the anime.    Overall I would not recommend this series.  

6 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Otome Game Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii Sekai desu,   Most of what has been said already in this thread is correct.   The main character in both the manga and the anime really comes off as an ASS.   I think the Anime makes him look even worse mostly because of edits for time because of the 12 episode limit.     Also having read into this pretty far,  I probably would say give the manga a shot if you liked the anime.    Overall I would not recommend this series.  

Granted, Leon Fou Barfort is a bit of a bastard... but not irredeemably so, given that he's doing it deliberately to show his contempt for the ridiculously sexist lady land he's living in and to play the villain in order to get the otome game story back on the rails.  He gets mixed results with it, but it does make him rather difficult to like.  He has a few moments that make him less obnoxious if not mildly relatable, but he does seem to enjoy playing the villain rather a lot.  It doesn't help that the rest of the cast isn't exactly developed beyond the cliches of the otome game he so hated.

Well, The Greatest Demon Lord is Reborn as a Typical Nobody is... 

I'd like to call what it's doing "limping to a finish", but that would imply the story had some sense of direction.  This is just a clusterf*ck of isekai protagonist tropes vaguely huddled together in the hopes of being mistaken for a narrative.  This is the TV equivalent of shovelware.  Cheap, low effort garbage hastily churned out in the hopes of riding some other title's coattails.  I am flat amazed that this ever got the go-ahead from a production committee.  Not only is the actual title false, but I get the feeling a more accurate one might be "Help, We Spent All The Budget on Animated Magic Circles!".

Love After World Domination's latest episode was kind of iffy as well.  I guess they're struggling to find a tidy way to wrap this up at twelve episodes.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Well, The Greatest Demon Lord is Reborn as a Typical Nobody is... 

I'd like to call what it's doing "limping to a finish", but that would imply the story had some sense of direction.  This is just a clusterf*ck of isekai protagonist tropes vaguely huddled together in the hopes of being mistaken for a narrative.  This is the TV equivalent of shovelware.  Cheap, low effort garbage hastily churned out in the hopes of riding some other title's coattails.  I am flat amazed that this ever got the go-ahead from a production committee.  Not only is the actual title false, but I get the feeling a more accurate one might be "Help, We Spent All The Budget on Animated Magic Circles!".

Love After World Domination's latest episode was kind of iffy as well.  I guess they're struggling to find a tidy way to wrap this up at twelve episodes.

I agree 100% on both shows.

Wrapped up another.

Gaikotsu Kishi-sama, Tadaima Isekai e Odekakechuu -  I came into this series not expecting much,  and got what I expected.    It was good enough to get me to follow the manga for abit and was entertaining.     Not Skull shattering "haha see what I did there"  but not a stinker either.      I'd like to see more of this at some point as there is a pretty good plot developing past where this series ends.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari S2 -  Yea there is still another episode,  but I had low expectations for this right out of the gate.    I think the anime did better then some people are giving it credit for but it was nowhere near the level of S1.      I'm not familiar with its source material but it feels to me that S2 edited a great amount of relevant information out.     All in all not as terrible as I was expecting,  but I probably will pass on any future seasons unless I am dragged into it. 

On 6/19/2022 at 6:55 PM, blackconvoy_D01 said:

About to start watching Spriggan on Netflix.

The action is good, but the dialogue is really cheesy. I really loved the movie from a few years back, so this felt a bit lacking. Overall it’s still worth watching, just don’t watch it in English, it’s really awkward. I was doing a second watch in English while I was packing for a move and it’s even cheesier and they couldn’t afford British actors, so they just talk like sub par American voice actors. It gets a bit odd trying to figure out which side people are on when they all sound the same and the soldiers look similar.

Just finished Love After World Domination.  Definitely one of the season's stronger offerings, but the ending felt a bit... out of the blue?  I know it can be hard to find a logical stopping point for a 12 episode-only anime that's adapting a manga, but the last episode is a "Giant Space Flea from Nowhere" plot.

RPG Real Estate never really developed into anything of substance.  It's just a cutesy slice of life schtick that is clearly aiming for the waifu crowd in a very halfhearted way.  They tried to throw a serious plot in at the end, which fell embarrassingly flat.  I would've liked it a lot better if they'd stuck with satirizing the (frankly absurd) housing market in Japan instead of the tedious sitcom nonsense they got up to instead.  Good first episode, eleven episodes of bad followup.

Don't Hurt Me, My Healer! unfortunately also started reasonably strong but quickly devolved into a stumbling mess with exactly one joke.  Carla pretends to mishear something that is said to someone else and turns it into verbal abuse.  It wasn't funny the first time, it wasn't funny the fiftieth.  Nor, for that matter, is the endless repetition of the same plot where they go somewhere on a fetch quest and encounter some monster that conveniently isn't hostile and just wants to talk.  It's not subverting expectations anymore when that's the standard form letter plot.

Kaguya-sama: Love is War! season three remains a strong series to the finish.  But then, that's one advantage of adapting a manga that's mostly finished AND was well divided into a story arc structure short enough to be adaptation-friendly.  It'll be nice if they do a fourth arc to wrap up the entire story of the manga since now all that's left is the arc where...

Spoiler

... Kaguya's family try to marry her off to a branch of their family that are business rivals to the main family, and the Student Council have to team up to foil it by stealing and destroying her father's last will and testament at his direction.

Crunchyroll started announcing its next season's offerings..

• Classroom of the Elite S2
  • The Devil is a Part-Timer! S2
  • The Girl from the Other Side
  • Fuuto Pi
  • Rent a Girlfriend S2
  • Oddtaxi in the Woods
  • Yurei Deco
  • Black Summoner
  • Dr. Stone Special Episode: Ryusui
  • Dropkick on my Devil!!! X
  • Engage Kiss
  • Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World
  • Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer
  • Lycoris Recoil
  • Musasi-No
  • My Hero Academia S5 OVAs
  • My Stepmom's Daughter is My Ex
  • Obey Me! The Anime S2
  • Orient (2nd cour)
  • RWBY: Ice Queendom
  • Shadows House S2
  • Shine On! Bakumatsu Bad Boys
  • Shoot! Goal to the Future
  • Smile of the Arsnotoria 
  • Teppen!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing 'Til You Cry
  • The Maid I Hired Recently is Mysterious
  • The Prince of Tennis II: U-17 World Cup
  • The Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting
  • Tonikawa: Over the Moon for You Special Episode
  • Utawarerumono Mask of Truth
  • Yurei Deco

and at least seven more to be announced.

Kinda hoping one will be a Macross title.

Wrapped up Kaguya-sama S3..  and I loved it.     Spectacular finale and TBH if that's all there is for this series.. then A+.     Obviously they already announced another animated project,  but that could be anything.

Started watching Spriggan on Netflix,  only 1 episode in.   It has been forever since I read or watched any of this so I had to do some catch up.     So far though so good,  let's hope it keeps at it.