What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Miss Kuroitsu feels like it's going to be my stand-out title for this season just because of how relatable it is.  I really end up feeling for the protagonist because of all the BS she has to contend with from the middle management at the evil organization she works for, and how unhappy she is to see corners cut on her work because of it all.

In the Land of Leadale is not doing a very good job of disguising that it stole its A-plot from Overlord... especially after its protagonist had a breakdown over the revelation that all of the player characters are almost certainly long dead in the world.  Its lighter and softer setting helps a bit, but being so overly cutesy clashes with its darker moments in ways which don't quite help it and the protagonist's three "children" (NPCs she adopted in-game) are pretty obnoxious and mostly used for cheap physical comedy.

The Strongest Sage With The Weakest Crest is still a bland, boring power fantasy after four episodes.  The protagonist Matthias at least justifies his stupid levels of overpoweredness and knowledge by being the reincarnation of a mage who was so powerful a thousand years ago that he is literally worshipped as a god in the present day, though he doesn't seem to have joined up the dots on that one yet.  It's still a tedious exercise in watching a smug, swaggering, invincible wankstain of a main character beat up on generic fantasy monsters while assembling the generic isekai fantasy harem.  (Like Isekai Cheat Magician, this one's so by-the-numbers you can almost see the barcodes.)

Attack on Titan is still Attack on Titan, and therefore an unwatchable mess.

Looking at starting My Dress-up Darling later, once we get through Ore Monogatari... assuming Ore Monogatari doesn't kill us all by putting us in a diabetic coma with the disgustingly sweet and pure love story between Takeo and Rinko.

On 1/31/2022 at 5:46 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

because of all the BS she has to contend with from the middle management at the evil organization she works for, and how unhappy she is to see corners cut on her work because of it all.

All I can think of is how that would make a great plotline for a James Bond universe parody movie.

Quotes regarding In the Land of Leadale by Seto:

Spoiler
On 1/17/2022 at 5:47 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

In the Land of Leadale is another minimum effort entry in the Isekai genre.  It seems like it's trying to be How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord without the fanservice, drawing a lot of its inspiration for the character's circumstances from Overlord instead.  The main character is a girl named Keina who was on life support for an extended duration after a car crash which killed her parents, and spent all her time playing a MMORPG called Leadale in which she became a stupidly overpowered competitive player due to her playing it constantly.  She dies when the hospital loses power, and finds she's been reincarnated as her character in the world of Leadale 200 years after the game's setting.  It follows all the same plot points as How Not to Summon a Demon Lord, just without the blatant fanservice.

On 1/31/2022 at 2:46 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

In the Land of Leadale is not doing a very good job of disguising that it stole its A-plot from Overlord... especially after its protagonist had a breakdown over the revelation that all of the player characters are almost certainly long dead in the world.  Its lighter and softer setting helps a bit, but being so overly cutesy clashes with its darker moments in ways which don't quite help it and the protagonist's three "children" (NPCs she adopted in-game) are pretty obnoxious and mostly used for cheap physical comedy.

So, according to novelupdates, mangupdates, & MAL, both Overlord and In the Land of Leadale started as web novels in 2010, though Overlord transitioned to light novel, manga, & anime far faster [2010, 2014, 2015; respectively, versus 2019, 2019, 2022, respectively]. While How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord seems to have started as a light novel in 2014, it transitioned faster as well [2015, 2018, respectively].

Sources:

It kind of reminds me of some bickering that I heard or read over Pokemon & Digimon copying each other / which was first. It was back when searching the internet wasn't people's first thought, or perhaps the Japan dates weren't widely known.

Dates:

Spoiler

According to wikipedia:

Pokemon
1996 video games
1996 trading card game
1997 anime
1997 first manga

Digimon
1997 virtual pet
1997 manga
1997 trading card game
1999 anime
1999 game

Anyways, to contribute:

Ganbare Douki-chan: Cutsy short format fun that requires a lot of ganbares for douki-chan, haha.

Getsuyoubi no Tawawa 2: It's nice seeing more of the series animated, but sadly the art was not as enjoyable. Unfortunate, since Himura Kiseki's art is just so amazing. Also, the deviations from the manga version were confusing, though it was probably before the corresponding manga chapters released, nothing to say if the original ongoing twitter series or + α doujinshi had their own takes. It's a whole tawawa multi-verse!

Not looking forward to binging Girls' Frontline - the reactions of those in the forum I go to are pretty rough. Lots of 'gotcha' gun model mistakes in an anime about guns, ridiculous gun fights that ignore how such combat should go, weapon sounds that are just recycled & improvised junk, static combat, & so on. The pacing & plotting is apparently subpar, which is unfortunate since there's an amazing ongoing manga that the anime is so far mostly sourcing from as opposed to relying on the visual novel style of the game, Actually, a manga adaptation seems to be a pretty standard requirement before getting an anime, but given the many subpar anime, it doesn't seem to help enough.

What's surprising is that the game's creator said in an interview, which I can source later if desired, that Warner Bros. asked him to be the one to produce the anime to the game. Then they had to go & select Asahi Productions as the lead studio, sideline Vanguard Sound, the music group behind the game; & apparently provide a minimal budget. It's par the course that none of the anime concept art, or even styling, by the game artists made it in due to being too expensive to animate, but wow, did it underachieve, even with about a six month delay. Perhaps a good portion of the budget when to the OP sequence & music, which is quite nice, if significantly different from the episode, & the ED music. Supposedly, some of Asahi Production's team went to learn about guns & gun combat, but not nearly enough of that made it in. The extra time until the blu-rays will probably only be enough to fix some obvious errors, but no way can it save the anime as it is right now.

Edited by marthf1
adding contributions to the topic

1 hour ago, marthf1 said:

So, according to novelupdates, mangupdates, & MAL, both Overlord and In the Land of Leadale started as web novels in 2010, though Overlord transitioned to light novel, manga, & anime far faster [2010, 2014, 2015; respectively,

You're not wrong, on a basic level... but your argument stumbles a bit on the precise chronology.

Overlord and In the Land of Leadale did indeed both begin serialization as web novels in 2010.  Six months apart, in fact, with Overlord debuting on Arcadia in May and achieving a fair bit of online popularity before In the Land of Leadale debuted on Shōsetsuka ni Narō the following November.  It seems unlikely that the high level of similarity is purely coincidental...

44 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

You're not wrong, on a basic level... but your argument stumbles a bit on the precise chronology.

Overlord and In the Land of Leadale did indeed both begin serialization as web novels in 2010.  Six months apart, in fact, with Overlord debuting on Arcadia in May and achieving a fair bit of online popularity before In the Land of Leadale debuted on Shōsetsuka ni Narō the following November.  It seems unlikely that the high level of similarity is purely coincidental...

The main issue I had was that without the additional bit of context that you closed the loop on, the high level of similarity In the Land of Leadale has with Overlord goes from six months in online text form to about seven years for those that primarily watch anime, while How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord is just out. I guess it's more my perception of the implications & the circumstances of the rehashing relative to my tolerance level - my apologizes for the accusatory tone.

A possible comparison is Go-Toubun no HanayomeBokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai. If I recall correctly, they started manga serialization within a few months of another, have quite a few similar themes, had anime start airing the one season apart, & the authors were friends.

Edited by marthf1
clarity

2 minutes ago, marthf1 said:

The main issue I had was that without the additional bit of context that you closed the loop on, the high level of similarity goes from six months in online text form with Overlord to about seven years for those that primarily watch anime, while How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord is just out. I guess it's more my perception of the implications & personal tolerance level of rehashing in what circumstances, so my apologizes if I came across as too accusatory.

No worries. :) 

Following trendsetters is pretty normal in even the best of circumstances, we're just seeing it a lot more blatantly in the isekai genre because it's really trendy lately so the number of trend followers that are becoming high-visibility is greater than usual.  In all fairness, I grumble about this a LOT when it comes to the glut of isekai titles over the last couple of years given how lazy many of them are.

With the current season's fairly weak offerings, I'm rolling up my backlog for the most part.

How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom is... well... it feels like it's kind of floundering for want of something to do.  The last three episodes have mainly been about tying up loose ends from the previous season, where there was an invasion from a hostile neighboring nation.  It's not particularly convincing or entertaining since the prince from the neighboring nation is just a complete prat who is almost never permitted to get out more than the first three words of any given sentence before being told to shut up and he's so far in the wrong that it robs the negotiations of any tension when even his own mediator agrees he's an arse.

Continuing to make my way through Ore Monogatari.  It's just too pure.  It's hard to watch more than one or two episodes in a sitting because of how excessively sweet it all is.

In the Land of Leadale still feels like it's fumbling around for something to show the audience.  It's clearly taking pointers from Overlord, but visually and narratively it lacks anything to distinguish itself from the hundreds of other western fantasy MMORPG-based isekai titles out there.  Leadale is an utterly generic, by-the-numbers, soft western fantasy setting which has nothing distinctive, unique, or interesting to offer.  Cayna, likewise, is an utterly generic, by-the-numbers, soft western fantasy isekai protagonist whose only distinctive trait is her loose-at-best relationship with her three NPC "children" that is mostly used for form letter light comedy.  It's watchable, sure, but after a few episodes it's really apparent that there is just nothing there.  

Rent-a-Girlfriend... ech, I'm not sure I can keep watching this one.  I hear it gets better, but the protagonist is just such an unlikable bellend that after four episodes I'm heartily sick of him.  I get that he's a college kid, but he's so goddamn thirsty he can barely function as a human being.

In a bit, I'm gonna tackle one I've been quietly dreading... Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle and Phantasy Star Online 2: the Animation... which collectively adapt the first three episodes of the story from SEGA's MMORPG and act as a tie-in/prequel to the fourth episode of the story.  Mainly, I'm dreading PSO2: the Animation because that was where they began flirting with the isekai genre themselves and the whole Mother arc might as well retitle itself Unlimited Cringe Works, though it did at least put a new and unusually bizarre twist on the MMORPG isekai idea by completely reversing the entire concept.

Spoiler

As in, instead of the players being trapped in a game or a world that resembles a game... the game itself is fake, with players unknowingly creating and controlling artificial bodies in another universe.  The whole affair being a setup by an extradimensional AI whose computer body was Theia that wants to go back to its home reality and take a bloody revenge on its creators (not realizing they've been extinct for centuries).

14 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I don't get this high level of similarity. Sure they're both isekai, both MC are overpowered, they have NPCs they consider 'children' and then that's it. What the MCs actually do are worlds apart. I like both novels for what they are. 'Leadale' gets some undeserved criticism being compared to Overlord imo. Who cares if the structure of the story are the same, but they're different enough to be enjoyable.

That said, Leadale anime does come off a bit generic. I think the LN is more enjoyable as it has more detail (lots of stuff cut in the anime), and as long as you don't expect high literature or the like.

32 minutes ago, hachi said:

I don't get this high level of similarity. Sure they're both isekai, both MC are overpowered, they have NPCs they consider 'children' and then that's it. What the MCs actually do are worlds apart.

Eh... it goes a lot deeper than that, to be frank.  

Spoiler

Overlord's Momonga/Ainz and Leadale's Cayna both start their respective stories as deeply miserable people who all but literally live in their VR-MMOs of choice to avoid their terrible real lives.  Momonga does it because his life outside the game is that of a literal wage slave in a dystopian cyberpunk future.  Cayna does it because she's terminally ill and living in a hospital on life support.

Momonga is implied to have died mid-session when the Yggdrasil's service ended and he was transferred to the New World in the body of his character.  Cayna explicitly died mid-session due to a power outage and was transferred to a world resembling Leadale in the body of her character.

Both Momonga and Cayna were notorious Player Killers with bad in-game reputations because of it, who are determined to avoid association with their past bad behavior after getting isekai'd.  (Cayna dodges all association with her reputation as the Silver Ring Witch, and Momonga sets out to clean up Ainz Ooal Gown's public image through acts of insincere public heroism.)

Both Momonga and Cayna established massive and heavily defended dungeons for themselves on the world map in their VR-MMO days, to weed out potential challengers so they can be left alone, both of which were given to them by the admins of their respective games out of respect for their in-game skills and unofficial status as player-run boss characters.  (Momonga's Great Tomb of Nazarick and Cayna's Guardian Tower respectively.)

Both Momonga and Cayna are the only player characters in the new worlds they arrive in, and both wield impossible godlike power from the perspective of the inhabitants of those worlds because of their high in-game levels and top-tier custom equipment before being isekai'd.  Both accidentally demonstrate incredible power without realizing the actual base level of the world's inhabitants.

Both Momonga and Cayna decide to go undercover as adventurers to gather more information about the new worlds they've arrived in shortly after arriving.  (Momonga adopts the alias of Dark Warrior Momon, and Cayna simply refuses to admit to being the Silver Ring Witch.)

Both Momonga and Cayna accidentally out themselves as possessing lost/impossible knowledge when they unwittingly hand over potions that are Lost/Divine Technology to the inhabitants of the world and find themselves pursued for investigation by the top potion-making expert in the kingdom they're visiting.

Both Momonga and Cayna slip into depression when it becomes clear to them that they are the only players in the world, any others having either never arrived or died of old age due to their choice of race/species in the intervening centuries.

Both Momonga and Cayna created NPCs that they regard as their children, though Cayna's are decent upright folk who've been keeping the world's sh*t together for 200 years while Momonga's are all driven by the "Then Let Me Be Evil" philosophy of the edgelords in Ainz Ooal Gown.

Both Momonga and Cayna are the first players to arrive in their respective new worlds in precisely 200 years... though in Momonga's case, he was preceded by three other groups (the Eight Kings of Avarice, the Six Great Gods, and the two players of the Thirteen Heroes) while Cayna is the only player left in Leadale.

The more you look at it, the more it becomes obvious Leadale was copying Overlord's homework... just with Leadale opting for lighter and softer comedy focus without any of the genre deconstruction that drives Overlord, and ending up kind of aimless and generic feeling as a result.  IMO, it's just a less compelling series as a whole because it doesn't seem to really have anything to show for itself.

Gave Police in a Pod a whirl... not sure what to think of it thus far, but the premise is interesting enough that I'm going to keep at it.  Not a fan of the art style, which reminds me oddly of Ghost in the Shell: Arise's character designs.

On 2/3/2022 at 4:44 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Eh... it goes a lot deeper than that, to be frank.  

Reveal hidden contents

Overlord's Momonga/Ainz and Leadale's Cayna both start their respective stories as deeply miserable people who all but literally live in their VR-MMOs of choice to avoid their terrible real lives.  Momonga does it because his life outside the game is that of a literal wage slave in a dystopian cyberpunk future.  Cayna does it because she's terminally ill and living in a hospital on life support.

Momonga is implied to have died mid-session when the Yggdrasil's service ended and he was transferred to the New World in the body of his character.  Cayna explicitly died mid-session due to a power outage and was transferred to a world resembling Leadale in the body of her character.

Both Momonga and Cayna were notorious Player Killers with bad in-game reputations because of it, who are determined to avoid association with their past bad behavior after getting isekai'd.  (Cayna dodges all association with her reputation as the Silver Ring Witch, and Momonga sets out to clean up Ainz Ooal Gown's public image through acts of insincere public heroism.)

Both Momonga and Cayna established massive and heavily defended dungeons for themselves on the world map in their VR-MMO days, to weed out potential challengers so they can be left alone, both of which were given to them by the admins of their respective games out of respect for their in-game skills and unofficial status as player-run boss characters.  (Momonga's Great Tomb of Nazarick and Cayna's Guardian Tower respectively.)

Both Momonga and Cayna are the only player characters in the new worlds they arrive in, and both wield impossible godlike power from the perspective of the inhabitants of those worlds because of their high in-game levels and top-tier custom equipment before being isekai'd.  Both accidentally demonstrate incredible power without realizing the actual base level of the world's inhabitants.

Both Momonga and Cayna decide to go undercover as adventurers to gather more information about the new worlds they've arrived in shortly after arriving.  (Momonga adopts the alias of Dark Warrior Momon, and Cayna simply refuses to admit to being the Silver Ring Witch.)

Both Momonga and Cayna accidentally out themselves as possessing lost/impossible knowledge when they unwittingly hand over potions that are Lost/Divine Technology to the inhabitants of the world and find themselves pursued for investigation by the top potion-making expert in the kingdom they're visiting.

Both Momonga and Cayna slip into depression when it becomes clear to them that they are the only players in the world, any others having either never arrived or died of old age due to their choice of race/species in the intervening centuries.

Both Momonga and Cayna created NPCs that they regard as their children, though Cayna's are decent upright folk who've been keeping the world's sh*t together for 200 years while Momonga's are all driven by the "Then Let Me Be Evil" philosophy of the edgelords in Ainz Ooal Gown.

Both Momonga and Cayna are the first players to arrive in their respective new worlds in precisely 200 years... though in Momonga's case, he was preceded by three other groups (the Eight Kings of Avarice, the Six Great Gods, and the two players of the Thirteen Heroes) while Cayna is the only player left in Leadale.

The more you look at it, the more it becomes obvious Leadale was copying Overlord's homework... just with Leadale opting for lighter and softer comedy focus without any of the genre deconstruction that drives Overlord, and ending up kind of aimless and generic feeling as a result.  IMO, it's just a less compelling series as a whole because it doesn't seem to really have anything to show for itself.

Gave Police in a Pod a whirl... not sure what to think of it thus far, but the premise is interesting enough that I'm going to keep at it.  Not a fan of the art style, which reminds me oddly of Ghost in the Shell: Arise's character designs.

Indeed Overlord's writing is way better, but it has way darker themes than Leadale that to me it looks like 2 different things. Most stories are formulaic anyway, it's just how it's executed that matters. Or maybe I just don't feel strongly about it? For example I get 'agitated' when I see something trying to copy the Macross formula (mecha + music). (That is why I don't like Macross II.)

I finally started Macross Delta, TV Anime, yestarday. I am on the 3rd episode. It was ok so far... With every Macross anime ever, repeatations.

Valkyries were having colorful, chearful, really happy (with the word's all synonyms xD HA HA) battles with The WALKÜR singing squade beside them... xD  

9 hours ago, hachi said:

Indeed Overlord's writing is way better, but it has way darker themes than Leadale that to me it looks like 2 different things. Most stories are formulaic anyway, it's just how it's executed that matters. Or maybe I just don't feel strongly about it? For example I get 'agitated' when I see something trying to copy the Macross formula (mecha + music). (That is why I don't like Macross II.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Overlord and In the Land of Leadale aren't two very different stories once they get going in earnest.

It's that it's really, stupidly, obnoxiously, immersion breaking-ly obvious at the outset that Ceez didn't so much draw inspiration from Kugane Marugama's breakout hit Overlord as they did simply rip off its entire first couple of chapters and change the names.  Even then it wouldn't have been a dealbreaker if Ceez had actually built on what they stole to take the story in some new and interesting direction.  Virtually none of those "borrowed" plot points build up to anything and most are quickly forgotten altogether in the face of a dull, listless, form letter of a story and the few that are touched on end in an anticlimax.  That none of it has any significance makes it all the more obvious because you're left to wonder why any of that was there or necessary to begin with, y'know?

It only stands out - and irritates - because it's an entire gun shop's worth of Chekhov's Guns that never go off.

Since most of my meetings today were cancelled, I got back to Komi Can't Communicate.  This series really is adorable.  If it weren't for the occasional moments of over-the-top humor it'd be the kind of squeaky-clean feel-good story you could show your parents.  Less so with the slightly creepy geeky girl who wants to be Komi's dog, or her lesbian stalker, etc.

10 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

My dress up darling is the best thing ever.  My number 1 anime of the season. 

Mine, too! Liking it so much that I picked up the first volume of the manga. I would have bought more, but that’s all that the Barnes & Noble near me had. 

I am definitely enjoying this season far more then last season..

Tensai Ouji no Akaji Kokka Saisei Jutsu is much better then I anticipated.   I figured it would be much more generic and more of a clone of the next series on my list,  however I think it has surpassed it in no less then 5 episodes.

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki S2...   I am also enjoying this series however not as much as the above mentioned title.     I think the manga handled certain scenes much better overall,  and I also think that S1 was stronger so far.    Being 5 episodes in I am hoping this series gets some of its past spark back.

Princess Connect! Re-Dive S2..   I am really enjoying this series,  probably far better then I should be normally.    I thought the first season was well executed for a Mobile Game anime,  and so far S2 has not let me down.     Worth a watch for a lighter slice of Moe adventure anime.

Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru..   Probably my pick for #1 this season,  with Princess Connect Re-Dive right behind it.     I knew what I was getting into that to the manga,  hopefully this series executes as well as the manga did.   High hopes for this one!

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san S3..   Also enjoying this one,  even had a brief glimpse into the future with this last episode.   The Mrs.  enjoys this title as well and the formula has worked for them so far.   I really should read further into the manga as it was also enjoyable.

The Meh..

Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou S2..  First season was not as spectacular as people were raving about,  but it was especially popular in our viewing group.   I was surprised it got a sequel so quickly.    The group still seems to like it, so far still getting fairly high praise.    However watching it starts to feel like a chore and its usually then I that I "clock out"  I probably will stick it through since the whole group seems inclined to stick with it.

The Ugly..

Girl's Frontline..  I don't think we made it past the 2nd episode and it was dropped.    If it gets  better let me know and I will try to watch it again.  

Shuumatsu no Harem..  I seriously want to watch this title because of the vitriol it garners  but it's really difficult and the black lines...   uggh.     I am on Ep 3 and.. just no.   

I also started to watch My dress up darling and bought the manga after watching a couple of episodes. I’m hooked.

Sadly volume 3 is currently sold out in my country so I have to wait for a reprint before diving in.

Really looking forward to Rising of the Shield Hero season 2 in April.

I remember watching Aria. They talk about the wonders of the planet, meet some people, have a little adventure, and 24 minutes of your life mysteriously disappears. I had to stop at Aria the Natural.

I'm still watching Fairy Tail. I'm on season 5!  And I'm still watching it for Erza. Mostly. Good enough to fill in the time between other shows.

• 2 weeks later...

This makes me very happy indeed.

Getting caught up on the various new titles now that I've finally found some free time.

In the Land of Leadale's still form letter isekai fantasy... and, six episodes in, I have a distinct feeling that either the production committee cut the budget or Maho Film lost interest in this one.  The production quality was never great on this one, but the number of off-model moments increased dramatically.  It's not too bad yet but there are some really jarring moments where characters faces are radically different shapes shot-to-shot.  Caena's granddaughter gets hit with it real hard.  The plot's still a mess too.  A main plot thread Ceez stole from Overlord gets forgotten completely when Caena, who had set out into the world partly to see if there were any other players left alive, runs into another player out of the blue and completely forgets about her own motivation.  The plot changes gears so often, and with such an audible clunk each time, that it feels like an anecdote being related by an exciteable child.

Got caught up on The Strongest Sage with the Weakest Crest... and I swear if there's an actual direction to this plot, I can't grasp it.  Six episodes in and the first major story arc just sort of ends without any real fanfare or sense of anything being accomplished.  Perhaps it's because the protagonist is just so stupidly overpowered that nothing in the plot is any more than the most trifling inconvenience to him, but the story was at least starting to toy with subverting the whole unstoppably-overpowered protagonist schtick with a partially developed subplot about part of the difference being a major drop in the level of basic competence in magic since his past life.  Then they kind of just abandon it so he can go do generic adventurer things elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the final 2 episodes of the 2nd season of 86.     They were done really well,   damn shame the rest of the 2nd season was not on this level.    Overall I still think 86 was a good series,  even with the production foibles. 

Edited by Stampeed Valkyrie
typo

Started to watch Ousama Ranking which a strangely intriguing show. I’ve only watched two episodes so can’t make to much sense about it all. Other that the king has a terrible case of the anime sickness.

I also read the final volume of the Attack on Titan manga and yeah…

Spoiler

War never changes

…glad this is over. A real letdown after the time skip. Not a big fan of it.