What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

I started to watch Jobless Reincarnation season 2 and it is still excellent.

However I don’t know if I like how the story is progressing. At the beginning of season 1 we see how Rudeus is getting powerful by training hard and the story progresses through that and his wits and intelligence.

Now it is more like the solution to the problems comes through a bunch of Deus ex Machina moments and I don’t know how to feel about that.

Rudeus and the party are losing a lot of agency through that. I’ve only watched one episode so let’s see how it continues.

Finished Combatants Will Be Dispatched.  Not a bad series, though this one feels like it could've been made longer instead of ending where it did.

It definitely has a vibe similar to KonoSuba and Chivas 1-2-3/Sorcerer on the Rocks.

On 10/13/2021 at 4:02 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

The World God Only Knows is a pretty funny show.

Oh my, yes.  I enjoyed that one immensely.  The manga's ending was a bit of a letdown, but the TV anime really does a fine job with the parts they adapted.

Currently doing a rewatch of older Tenchi titles before we start OVA 4 and 5 now that they're finally available on streaming.  I have to admit, I forgot how relentlessly horny GXP was... that series just would not quit with the fanservice.

• 4 weeks later...

So Kaginado is a pretty much a disjointed mess.   I get the feeling that they went into this with no real plan, other then play on tropes from the VNs.   There is the occasional funny,  but largely I am left like WTF?   And that is even with knowing all the series except ReWrite.     Planetarian made an appearance in the OP episode and disappeared,   I would have expected them to expand into some other titles like Harmonia,  maybe some Angel Beats and Charlotte.  

19 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat this week was good.  But i felt rather uncomfortable watching it.

That seems to be the going trend with this series,  I can site several events that take place in past episodes that I was thinking similar.    I still am on the fence with this series,  my group has dropped it because of questionable content.

On 11/9/2021 at 6:01 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

This weeks Kaginado was hilarious.  I was on the floor laughing.  Nagisa was so cute in her waitress uniform.

I can't say I agree,  most of the funnies are visual stills and are blink and you missed it.      I can't see how anyone not familiar with Key or any of the titles represented would NOT think this is a mess.     A great example of this is the Goal gag from Air,  honestly the first time you see it it's funny but now its been rehashed 3 times in what 5 episodes?   Compare this to say Isekai Quartet,  which was accessible to new viewers and even if you did not know the source material it was not hard to follow along.   

Onto Saihate no Paladin..   I am enjoying this series however at a current 12 episode series, they just burned 5 on his backstory.   This easily could have been condensed into 2 maybe 3 tops.   Not really a complaint of the title,  more a complaint of the format and the fact that this will probably only be a 1 cour series.

Shin no Nakama ja Nai to Yuusha no Party wo Oidasareta node, Henkyou de Slow Life suru Koto ni Shimashita...   yeah stop with these long titles already.     Kicked out of the hero's party or whatever.    I am enjoying this title,   I still prefer the manga largely because its already way past where they are currently in the anime.    The interaction between Rit and Red is refreshing because there is no beating around the bush on how they feel for each other.   Everything else feels like filler TBH.

Mieruko-chan..  I don't know where I sit on this one,  another title that my viewing group as dropped due to questionable content.     And probably one of the first ones in awhile that I found myself uncomfortable with the level of detail given to some fan service on a JK.   I'll probably stick this out especially after the recent reveal but I don't generally enjoy watching titles that feel like some closet pedo concocted.

I am behind on Muv-Luv and the 2nd season of 86.. hopefully I can catch up relatively quickly.

Edited by Stampeed Valkyrie
fumbly fingers

Goin' back to more shows of seasons past since this season's some weak sauce... 

Currently wrapping up a rewatch of Sengoku Basara with the second season OVA "Dragon and Tiger: Oath of Victory", and it has completely lost its fragile fingertip-only grip on reality.  I just watched a scene where Takeda Shingen entered like a goddamn colony drop, bellowed a bunch of stuff about a contest, and then soared back into the sky as if he were Superman.  I sympathize completely with Date Masamune's look of abject bewilderment.

With only Last Party and Judge End to go, Sengoku Basara is, if anything, even weirder than I remember... though it's a bit disappointing that the series never really gets to explore the rest of the cast.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

3 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

That seems to be the going trend with this series,  I can site several events that take place in past episodes that I was thinking similar.    I still am on the fence with this series,  my group has dropped it because of questionable content.

I can't say I agree,  most of the funnies are visual stills and are blink and you missed it.      I can't see how anyone not familiar with Key or any of the titles represented would NOT think this is a mess.     A great example of this is the Goal gag from Air,  honestly the first time you see it it's funny but now its been rehashed 3 times in what 5 episodes?   Compare this to say Isekai Quartet,  which was accessible to new viewers and even if you did not know the source material it was not hard to follow along.   

Onto Saihate no Paladin..   I am enjoying this series however at a current 12 episode series, they just burned 5 on his backstory.   This easily could have been condensed into 2 maybe 3 tops.   Not really a complaint of the title,  more a complaint of the format and the fact that this will probably only be a 1 cour series.

Shin no Nakama ja Nai to Yuusha no Party wo Oidasareta node, Henkyou de Slow Life suru Koto ni Shimashita...   yeah stop with these long titles already.     Kicked out of the hero's party or whatever.    I am enjoying this title,   I still prefer the manga largely because its already way past where they are currently in the anime.    The interaction between Rit and Red is refreshing because there is no beating around the bush on how they feel for each other.   Everything else feels like filler TBH.

Mieruko-chan..  I don't know where I sit on this one,  another title that my viewing group as dropped due to questionable content.     And probably one of the first ones in awhile that I found myself uncomfortable with the level of detail given to some fan service on a JK.   I'll probably stick this out especially after the recent reveal but I don't generally enjoy watching titles that feel like some closet pedo concocted.

I am behind on Muv-Luv and the 2nd season of 86.. hopefully I can catch up relatively quickly.

I guess because I am a huge Air, Kanon and Clannad fan.  I can understand what you mean if you haven't seen these series. 

Sengoku Basara: the Last Party has the action... but I'll be damned if the plot doesn't feel like a clumsily executed bait-and-switch.

It's a 94 minute movie, and it spends the entire first hour building up Mitsunari Ishida as the story's villain.  At about the 62 minute mark, they're building up to a big climax with a free for all battle and a final duel between Ishida and Masamune...

Spoiler

... only for all of that buildup to be completely derailed by Oda ****ing Nobunaga dragging his dusty *** out of the grave to declare that he's the final boss as part of a plot that the movie barely touched on at all up to that point.  He lasts just long enough for his VA, Norio Wakamoto, to chew every last bit of scenery with the gusto of a true gourmand before he and the people who conspired to resurrect him fold like a house of cards.  Tenkai/Akechi Mitsuhide doesn't even get to fight... he gets bisected with a single hit by O-Ichi of all people, his VA Sho Hayami barely gets to say anything except a few creepy lines while he's being torn apart.

It's over so fast that nobody in the cast seems to even think it's worth remarking on that a dead man whose skull had long since been repurposed as a sakazuki had popped out of the ground and started shooting people before another dead person wandered in from stage left and dragged them to hell.

That everyone immediately goes back to what they were doing before has EXACTLY this energy:

There's still like twelve minutes left on the clock when the dust has finished settling!  They show snippets of the remaining grudge matches between Tokugawa and Mitsunari, Mori and Chousokabe, and Date and Yukimura... and then cut to a choreographed dance number instead of resolving anything.

It's a nice, solid movie for the first sixty or so minutes and then the pacing just goes completely to pot.

I can kinda see why Sengoku Basara: Judge End didn't want to build on that ending... it's a mess.

Started The Vampire Dies in No Time a bit ago... it's a mildly entertaining odd couple sort of comedy series about a vampire hunter who is guilt-tripped into letting a pathetically weak vampire whose home he accidentally destroyed live with him.

Worth a watch for its unusual premise, though it's pretty conventional odd couple comedy otherwise.  The opening is a rather visually appealing swing dance routine featuring the two main characters which actually works quite well with the art style.

Watched my way through the available episodes of Banished from the Hero's Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside today.

Pretty unremarkable stuff... basically the same series as Drugstore in Another World but without (explicitly) being an isekai.  

Starting Mieruko-chan now... the OP is surprisingly upbeat and cheerful given that the plot is basically about a girl who can see Junji Ito-esque ghosts wandering around in everyday life.

Finished Sengoku Basara: Judge End.  Why does this exist?  It's just worse in every way than the previous series.  The animation quality's all over the place, the pacing makes it feel like the screenwriter has undiagnosed attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and there are so many unnecessary side plots about someone accusing someone of betraying them that it all just sort of drunkenly stumbles to the Battle of Sekigahara and then collapses in a heap without any real resolution.

Mieruko-chan is... a thing that exists.  It's well animated, but there's no semblance of an actual story here.  It's just a girl living in a world that hired Junji Ito as production designer for the afterlife trying to pretend that she can't see the many horrifying ghosts who seem to have no agenda beyond trying to find someone who can see them.  It's horror for Miko, the main character, but for the audience it comes off less as horror and more as Dull Surprise as ghost after horrifying ghost rolls up expecting to get some kind of reaction out of the girl with the world's best pokerface only to leave disappointed.

My Senpai is Annoying offers some amusing slice of life comedy.  It's really well-produced and engaging, if slightly generic feeling.  Feels a bit like its trying to veer into romcom territory since the main character (a very short OL named Futaba) comes off as more than a bit tsundere towards her gargantuan senpai Takeda.

2 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Mushoku Tensei this week delivers another awesome episode, It is far away my favorite show this season.

True, but it is excruciating how slow the story is progressing. I want to know more about the world and the fate of everyone missing but we don’t get to that. It is still excellent though.

I’m also watching the faraway Paladin and the World’s finest Assassin. Both are good but I don’t know what to make of them yet.

Edited by Scyla

21 hours ago, Scyla said:

True, but it is excruciating how slow the story is progressing. I want to know more about the world and the fate of everyone missing but we don’t get to that. It is still excellent though.

I’m also watching the faraway Paladin and the World’s finest Assassin. Both are good but I don’t know what to make of them yet.

I understand it is slow.  But it mostly sticking to the light novels.

Faraway Paladin and Assassin are the biggest surprises for me this season.  I really am enjoying both.

• 2 weeks later...

So some good news.. 

The Utawarerumono MOT anime adaptation finally has a release date.  July of 2022.

I would link to ANNs article,  but you can search for that on your own.. they can piss off.

however..

Also,  I had something nice to say about Kaginado with Episode 6,  but they killed any goodwill I had with them with Episode 7.   ... sigh

Not many people from here are watching the 86 anime? It's good, though plagued with production issues currently.

I'm enjoying Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu, but official subs are awful.

Faraway Paladin has a good source material, but animation isn't that great, just acceptable. At least it's not Kumo desu ga levels of bad 2D animation.

Ousama Ranking has been the surprise of the season though, great story.

I'm giving Fairy Tail another go.  I dropped it after the first episode the first time.  It seem to me that it is trying to be something between Dragon Ball and One Piece.  It's OK.  I'm currently on episode 12.  So far the 1st filler episode seem to be Naruto level bad.  I may just skip all the fillers since I can!  At any rate, It will do to fill the time between the current shows.  It is better than Muv-Luv. 

On 11/27/2021 at 12:53 AM, hachi said:

Not many people from here are watching the 86 anime? It's good, though plagued with production issues currently.

I saw the first season, waiting for the second to finish before I binge it. Which tends to be my watch cycle these days out side the 6-7 my local group watches.

Agreed 86 is good sci-fi mecha action. I want to try out Sakuga soon as well, it looks like fun.

19 hours ago, Focslain said:

I saw the first season, waiting for the second to finish before I binge it. Which tends to be my watch cycle these days out side the 6-7 my local group watches.

Agreed 86 is good sci-fi mecha action. I want to try out Sakuga soon as well, it looks like fun.

Maybe because it's not a humanoid type mecha. And that was a good decision on your part to wait. I was left hanging due to the delays and so I binge read the light novels. I am so spoiled with the future events. Also there are good battles (past this season) that would look awesome animated, praying for more seasons (should use the same crew making it of course). For this season it's a really big baddie mech they're fighting and that's why they're probably having issues animating it.

Sakugan however has disappointed me after the first few episodes. The MCs annoying levels seem to go up not down, especially the dad character. The first ep was good though.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting Ghost in fhe Shell: Arise right now... it's a little weird seeing how everyone in this looks more or less exactly the same as they did in Stand Alone Complex except Motoko.

I guess her new design better fits the idea in the movie that she went with a generic face on her prosthetic body... but stylistically it's nowhere near as appealing as her design in the manga or SAC.  Her face looks painfully under-detailed compared to the rest of her, and those of the other characters. Almost to One Punch Man levels in a few shots.

This has been a pretty good season with at least two great shows in Mushoku Tensei and Ousama Ranking which has been nothing short of a revelation. Add to that a very decent 86 second season and Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut. Good times.