What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

On 8/28/2021 at 4:51 AM, hachi said:

I've been looking for light shows and actually started watching this for the comedy. So does it get tragic/overly serious at the end? I've read some gripes about the LN ending but haven't spoiled myself about it. Is the ending that bad or just below expectations?

I also recently finished Kaguya-sama Love is War S2, and I can say my standards for light and fun have gone up a bit. Did not see the downside to that haha

I haven't read the last book yet.  So I have no idea.  It gets a bit more serious towards the end.

5 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I haven't read the last book yet.  So I have no idea.  It gets a bit more serious towards the end.

Ok thanks. Maybe I will just finish season 1 for now. I'm trying to take my mind off this pandemic and unfortunately the standards for de-stressing have gone up haha. I get bored easily now or lose attention.

Also got into Hetalia World Stars but they're too short, the episodes are easily finished. May have to go back to some old series to rewatch something...

18 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I started Mangaka-san to Assistant-san last night and it was a funny 1st episode.

That series gets knocked too often by the "woke" crowd.   Personally I went into it not really expecting anything other then a time waster and it ended up being pretty amusing overall.   Along the same veins as Aho Girl,  and the latest Kanojo mo Kanojo.

5 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

That series gets knocked too often by the "woke" crowd.   Personally I went into it not really expecting anything other then a time waster and it ended up being pretty amusing overall.   Along the same veins as Aho Girl,  and the latest Kanojo mo Kanojo.

I have to ask what is "woke" about it. 

9 minutes ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Nothing..  which is why it got knocked.

The biggest gripes were about objectification of women.. and blah blah.   Do a search for the series,  you'll come across the gripes pretty easily.

Speaking of Kanojo mo Kanojo..  Our group caught up to Ep 9  which i believe is the latest.   I'm very much meh on this one.  

On 8/25/2021 at 5:22 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I loved Hataraku Maou Sama (The Devil is a Part-Timer!) and I am so glad it is finally getting a 2nd season.  After reading the light novels, I do agree the comedy is really not front and center.

It was pretty good... not great, IMO, but definitely better than a fair amount of the other stuff I've watched recently.

18 minutes ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

It isn't... Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to occasionally - and not unjustifiably, IMO - gets dragged by a fair portion of its viewers because a lot of its comedy comes from its protagonist unthinkingly sexually harassing his assistant(s) and suffering violent retribution for it.  (He's a massive pervert with a panty shot fetish who is so oblivious that he never seems to notice the things he's saying are INCREDIBLY creepy and offensive to the women he works with, until he's facing the threat of imminent violence.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

a lot of its comedy comes from its protagonist unthinkingly sexually harassing his assistant(s) and suffering violent retribution for it. 

You know, this is pretty much why I don't watch comedies or slice of life shows anymore. 30+ years of anime watching and it's the same dumb tired jokes of guy says something awkward, guy walks in on girl in the shower, or girl changing, or trips and falls landing on said girl with a knee full of crotch & and a handfull of bewbie all resulting in the guy getting punched to the moon.

It was old and tired in Love Hina, and it's even more older and more tired today. Imagine how bad all comedy films or sitcoms would be in the US if they all used the same recycled jokes from Jim Carey's Ace Ventura over and over again.

You'd want to shoot yourself.

It was pretty good... not great, IMO, but definitely better than a fair amount of the other stuff I've watched recently.

It isn't... Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to occasionally - and not unjustifiably, IMO - gets dragged by a fair portion of its viewers because a lot of its comedy comes from its protagonist unthinkingly sexually harassing his assistant(s) and suffering violent retribution for it.  (He's a massive pervert with a panty shot fetish who is so oblivious that he never seems to notice the things he's saying are INCREDIBLY creepy and offensive to the women he works with, until he's facing the threat of imminent violence.)

Thanks.  I think he gets what he deserves for his creepy attitude.  I find it all just funny.

So, Funimation pushed an update to its mobile apps and smart TV apps today that actually goes most of the way towards fixing their previously trash-tier app performance and service quality.  I am legitimately impressed by the improvement.  Since Hellsing Ultimate has been on my to-rewatch list for a while now and I can't bring myself to start Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle, I'm giving Hellsing Ultimate a whirl as my benchmarking of the new app.

In a rare moment of utterly unqualified positivity, the new app is performing splendidly on my QLED set and the quality is virtually indistinguishable from physical media.  Just buttery smooth, once it got past the initial second or two of optimization.

It is slightly irritating that Funimation's subtitles went with "Arucard" instead of "Alucard" like anyone with a goddamn brain would have... but hey.

On 9/1/2021 at 6:04 AM, renegadeleader1 said:

You know, this is pretty much why I don't watch comedies or slice of life shows anymore. 30+ years of anime watching and it's the same dumb tired jokes of guy says something awkward, guy walks in on girl in the shower, or girl changing, or trips and falls landing on said girl with a knee full of crotch & and a handfull of bewbie all resulting in the guy getting punched to the moon.

It was old and tired in Love Hina, and it's even more older and more tired today. Imagine how bad all comedy films or sitcoms would be in the US if they all used the same recycled jokes from Jim Carey's Ace Ventura over and over again.

You'd want to shoot yourself.

Yeah a lot of that repeating over and over and no need to be 'woke' to be sick of it. It all goes into generic territory real quick, so I get picky. Though sometimes I can really just need a dumb show where you don't have to think.

42 minutes ago, hachi said:

Yeah a lot of that repeating over and over and no need to be 'woke' to be sick of it. It all goes into generic territory real quick, so I get picky. Though sometimes I can really just need a dumb show where you don't have to think.

You literally just named every anime genre on the face of the planet... lol

The people who had issues with the aforementioned series,  were the same people complaining about Uzaki-chan,  and probably ever other fanservice anime.

Speaking of fanservice anime.   Megami-ryou no Ryoubo-kun,,,,,   um yeah at least you know what its about in the first 5 min.   lol

I have changed my opinion about the 2nd Season of Kobayahi,   its good enough that if you liked S1 you should like S2... 

Higurashi is still probably my highlight this season.. 

Cheat pharmacist is still the worst of this season..

16 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

You literally just named every anime genre on the face of the planet... lol

The people who had issues with the aforementioned series,  were the same people complaining about Uzaki-chan,  and probably ever other fanservice anime.

Speaking of fanservice anime.   Megami-ryou no Ryoubo-kun,,,,,   um yeah at least you know what its about in the first 5 min.   lol

I have changed my opinion about the 2nd Season of Kobayahi,   its good enough that if you liked S1 you should like S2... 

Higurashi is still probably my highlight this season.. 

Cheat pharmacist is still the worst of this season..

Kobayashi-san chi no maid dragon is definitely my favorite this season. 

Funimation's improved quality of service continues to impress... though now that I'm not constantly frustrated by the poor quality of their streams I'm noticing all the other problems in their workmanship.  There are translation errors all over their subtitles for Hellsing Ultimate.

New releases have been pretty disappointing this season.

Welcome to Demon School, Irumi-kun! has been pretty mediocre now that it's burned through the limited appeal of its fish-out-of-water "I hope nobody learns the secret that'll get me killed on sight" story line and started moving in the direction of becoming a standard shonen series similar to what happened in Rosario to Vampire.

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! has lost a lot of its appeal too, since the first story arc was almost a rote repeat of the final story arc of the previous season and its lack of any real compelling story arc once its oblivious protagonist no longer had foreknowledge of her fate occupying her mind kind of leaves it in awkward reverse harem territory for the rest of its run without anything interesting to bring to the table.

Got caught up on My Next Life as a Villainess... and I'm really beginning to suspect that the series has run out of ideas.  

At this point, the series is literally on its THIRD back-to-back kidnapping-with-lethal-intent-via-dark-magic.  It's like that's the only way the original author could add drama.  Maybe by the end, everyone'll have been kidnapped and tortured with dark magic at least once.  The kidnapper is always forgiven in the end too, which takes all the sting out of it.  Sirius and his suspiciously similar stand-in Sora both got jobs as a direct consequence of their dark magic kidnappings.  Odds are creepy girl is gonna land a government job because of this too.

What little relationship drama the series had built up with Caterina finally realizing her fiance is actually serious about marrying her is obliterated within an episode or two when she's preoccupied by her adoptive brother going missing.

Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun! has kind of petered out as well.  There's some going-nowhere shipping between Iruma and his two principal love interests but it's absolutely not going anywhere because Iruma is a pathological nice guy and immune to innuendo.

On 9/5/2021 at 5:22 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I decided to watch yuru yuri and watamote.

Couldn't get into Watamote... it's just... TOO cringe.

On 9/7/2021 at 1:52 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Got caught up on My Next Life as a Villainess... and I'm really beginning to suspect that the series has run out of ideas.  

At this point, the series is literally on its THIRD back-to-back kidnapping-with-lethal-intent-via-dark-magic.  It's like that's the only way the original author could add drama.  Maybe by the end, everyone'll have been kidnapped and tortured with dark magic at least once.  The kidnapper is always forgiven in the end too, which takes all the sting out of it.  Sirius and his suspiciously similar stand-in Sora both got jobs as a direct consequence of their dark magic kidnappings.  Odds are creepy girl is gonna land a government job because of this too.

What little relationship drama the series had built up with Caterina finally realizing her fiance is actually serious about marrying her is obliterated within an episode or two when she's preoccupied by her adoptive brother going missing.

Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun! has kind of petered out as well.  There's some going-nowhere shipping between Iruma and his two principal love interests but it's absolutely not going anywhere because Iruma is a pathological nice guy and immune to innuendo.

Couldn't get into Watamote... it's just... TOO cringe.

I only managed to get through the 1st episode of Watamote.  It seemed a bit odd to me too.

On 9/9/2021 at 4:25 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I only managed to get through the 1st episode of Watamote.  It seemed a bit odd to me too.

It's... well... it's cringe.  It's meant to be cringe comedy, but it's just pity-inducing levels of cringe.

After a break for my girlfriend to marathon most of the James Bond movies, I'm back to catching up.  Currently watching The Slow Life of a Cheat Pharmacist.  Kinda feeling like it's the exact same setup as I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years but with a male protagonist.

EDIT: I'd call this show "weak tea" but that would give it too much credit.  As tea goes, this is "a mug of tepid water that was in the same zipcode as a tea bag at some point".

Edited by Seto Kaiba

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's... well... it's cringe.  It's meant to be cringe comedy, but it's just pity-inducing levels of cringe.

After a break for my girlfriend to marathon most of the James Bond movies, I'm back to catching up.  Currently watching The Slow Life of a Cheat Pharmacist.  Kinda feeling like it's the exact same setup as I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years but with a male protagonist.

EDIT: I'd call this show "weak tea" but that would give it too much credit.  As tea goes, this is "a mug of tepid water that was in the same zipcode as a tea bag at some point".

Cheat Pharmacist makes Killing Slimes look good.  I only got through Slime because of Yuuki Aoi.    I do not see a plot in Pharmacist.

New official trailer for Pride Of Orange girls ice hockey anime. I'm surprised all the text in the trailer is in english. It makes me wonder if they are going to push hard for an international release? The CBC would probably pick this up for national broadcast!

You guys have no idea the anticipation I have for this show.

Well since we are now well into the Sunset of the Summer 2021 anime season,  any shows that really stand out?

Higurashi,  Dragon Maid,  and Duke of Death.   Probably in that order.  

Lots of meh this season..  

Next season is not looking much better,  hopefully I am wrong.

Summer 2021 was a pretty lackluster season, and the Winter 2021 season looks to be similarly sparse pickings.

The only ones I can find on the currently announced channels that looks even mildly interesting Komi Can't CommunicateLupin III Part VI, and the inevitable promise of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part VI: Stone Ocean.

Shot through The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent in a single sitting.

Short, but wholesome enough... even if it doesn't really have much to offer in the way of original thought.  It's cute, at least.  I can't help but look at Prince Kyle and think "wow, that's basically just Bogue... but being taken seriously by someone".

Currently watching How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom... and it's pretty tedious.  

Granted, it's an approach to isekai that I haven't seen anyone else attempt but it's kind of surprising the inhabitants of this fantasy world survived long enough for Kazuya to arrive when their leaders are so blitheringly incompetent on every level. 

Currently watching How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom... and it's pretty tedious.  

Granted, it's an approach to isekai that I haven't seen anyone else attempt but it's kind of surprising the inhabitants of this fantasy world survived long enough for Kazuya to arrive when their leaders are so blitheringly incompetent on every level. 

It gets much better.  I am glad this is getting a 2nd season.