What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Started The World Ends With You... so far, it's kind of awful.  I know it's a video game adaptation and as such there are some liberties that have to be taken, but the pacing in this series is completely screwed up.  

Discovered and started watching Tokimeki Tonight on YouTube. It’s a comedy in the vein of Urusei Yatsura featuring a female main character who’s the daughter of a vampire and werewolf trying to live a normal life in the human world. One of the most interesting things about this show is that it started airing in the same week that the original Macross series did. 

On 8/8/2021 at 5:00 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I am watching School Days on somebodies recommendation and I am not liking this series at all.  If I wasn't so close to the end I would drop it.

lol,  um yeah stick with it..   Nice Boat and all.

I'm watching more this season then last and I am still really hard pressed to pick a winner.   The only real standout is Higurashi..     Hamefura seems to have gone from all route lead to doom,  to all routes lead to marriage.     

On the flip side the real stinker of this season is the Cheat isekai pharmacy blah blah blah one.    My group is still screening it,  but it took only 1 instance of the stupid dance song sequence while he was making something for me to flat out drop it. 

Finished The World Ends With You

Holy hell, this was Angel Links levels of bad.  So much so that it's legitimately worrying that something like this got approved.

For the writers and director, it should be more like Your Careers End With This.

On 8/10/2021 at 6:45 AM, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

lol,  um yeah stick with it..   Nice Boat and all.

I'm watching more this season then last and I am still really hard pressed to pick a winner.   The only real standout is Higurashi..     Hamefura seems to have gone from all route lead to doom,  to all routes lead to marriage.     

On the flip side the real stinker of this season is the Cheat isekai pharmacy blah blah blah one.    My group is still screening it,  but it took only 1 instance of the stupid dance song sequence while he was making something for me to flat out drop it. 

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon S2  is my clear winner for this season.

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

3 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon S2  is my clear winner for this season.

It's too early to tell at this point.   While I am enjoying it,  I'm not all sold on it either.   So far I am enjoying the first season more.

It has its own page, but I watched the final Evangelion film. I cannot believe its come to an end.

IN regards to this season, its pretty poor. The only show that consistently wants me to come back for more is Sonny Boy.

On 8/13/2021 at 7:06 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Nichijou was really good,  I hope you enjoy it.

... it definitely has a vibe reminiscent of Azumanga Daioh to it.

That said, I don't think I like it as much as I did Azumanga Daioh.  A lot of the humor here seems to just be "random things happen", which can be funny if done right but it feels a bit overused at 5 episodes in.

57 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Just watched the final Evangelion movie.     Still abit fresh in the mind,  and overall mostly positive.    I have to admit I am pleased with its direction after the events of 3.33.

I absolutely loved it as the love letter to everything Anno has done that it is. And yes, 3.33 is raised higher with the context of this finale. I'll save most of my comments for the main Eva thread save to say..

Spoiler

I honestly never took it in a serious context when TV Gendo said he was making do with an excellerated schedule to modify his plans. Seeing what Gendo can do with the luxury of time & seemingly unlimited resources is truly fųcking dark.

20 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That said, I don't think I like it as much as I did Azumanga Daioh.  A lot of the humor here seems to just be "random things happen", which can be funny if done right but it feels a bit overused at 5 episodes in.

I have never seen Azumanga Daioh.  Maybe i should.

11 minutes ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I have never seen Azumanga Daioh.  Maybe i should.

It's definitely worth a watch, IMO.  It's a lot more grounded than Nichijou is, with more focus on the actual characters, though it does have some truly bizarre and surreal moments.

Nichijou is an absolute riot, even if some of the references are SO Japanese that I need an encyclopedia and a team of accredited historians by my side to understand them.

That said, there are a handful of skits that perpetually recycle through my Youtube; this is the latest:

On 8/14/2021 at 6:44 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

The original manga is IIRC a series of 4komas. The author didn't intend for it to be a big thing.

4 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

The original manga is IIRC a series of 4komas. The author didn't intend for it to be a big thing.

Same with Azumanga Daioh, as it happens... the parallels are stacking up.

So... I'm nearly done with Nichijou.

I can definitely say that I didn't enjoy this series as an anime.  It might be more enjoyable as a 4koma.  Its main problem is that what little content it has is spread so painfully thin that it tries to fill runtime by presenting excessively long reaction shots as a joke in and of themselves.  That kind of gag is funny once, or once in a while at the absolute best.  If you use it every episode or multiple times per episode like the Nichijou anime does, it becomes obnoxious very quickly.

Spoiler

Combine it with high-pitched screeches of "EHHHHH!" the way the series so often does, and it starts to become physically painful... at least for me.

Twice now I've developed headaches watching the series from said screeching and had to stop watching.

11 hours ago, DewPoint said:

I felt much the same.  While I did finish the series, I took 2 long breaks before finally finishing it. It kinda turned me off from 4-koma based shows for a bit.

IMO, it wouldn't be hard to make Nichijou a lot better... just cut the overlong reaction shot gags and drop absolutely everything to do with the professor.

I don't know if it's cultural or what, but I can't find a bratty kid abusing their caregiver with impunity funny.  If ever a kid needed a swift caning, the professor is it.

1 hour ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Finally saw the Tonikaku Kawaii OVA and I sure missed the Yuzakis'.

Ditto,  I enjoyed this series and getting this tossed in out of nowhere was a bonus.

Sitting through a rewatch of Horimiya.   Enjoying my 2nd run through.

On 8/20/2021 at 4:24 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I started Sankarea and I find it a very strange show.  But it is enjoyable.

That is the zombie one right?   The manga for that goes off the deep end.  I never really could get into the anime for it.

I'm pretty disappointed with another series that had much potential..   Shinigami Bocchan to Kuro Maid.     The manga for this series actually gets quite dark and is well done considering on the surface it looks like a 1 trick pony show.    The Poor CG in this title really kills the anime for me,  I had similar thoughts with High Score Girl. 

55 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

That is the zombie one right?   The manga for that goes off the deep end.  I never really could get into the anime for it.

I'm pretty disappointed with another series that had much potential..   Shinigami Bocchan to Kuro Maid.     The manga for this series actually gets quite dark and is well done considering on the surface it looks like a 1 trick pony show.    The Poor CG in this title really kills the anime for me,  I had similar thoughts with High Score Girl. 

Yes, it is the zombie one,  I might want to read the manga eventually.

The backlog marathon has no brakes... I finished the entirety of The Irregular at Magic High School.  Kind of an anemic series on the whole, since Tatsuya has the emotional range of a not-particularly-fresh cucumber and would otherwise fall into the category of "smug super" if he was capable of expressing emotion at all.  There's some good worldbuilding going on there but it suffers terribly from the cold indifference of its main character and how quickly everyone accepts that this supposedly-substandard magician from an unknown family is an utterly unstoppable godmode sue who defies all logic, reason, and the rules of magic as they understand them.

I question the sanity of Funimation's viewing recommendations too, since the site tried to fob me off with a short ONA called Bikini Warriors.  It's... not quite what I expected, in that it's a parody of the kind of gratuitously exploitative crap that the title would make you think it was.  It's still pretty skeevy tho.  At five minutes a pop including credits the entire series lasts maybe an hour and offers a few cheap D&D-style murderhobo laughs and some forgettably gratuitous fanservice.

I've started The Devil is a Part-Timer!, and it's also wildly different from what I expected.  I was given to understand this series was a comedy.  It's veering more and more towards the territory of action drama and has a lot more substance to it than I was prepared for.  I can't but feel like this has almost the same premise as I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job!.

20 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The backlog marathon has no brakes... I finished the entirety of The Irregular at Magic High School.  Kind of an anemic series on the whole, since Tatsuya has the emotional range of a not-particularly-fresh cucumber and would otherwise fall into the category of "smug super" if he was capable of expressing emotion at all.  There's some good worldbuilding going on there but it suffers terribly from the cold indifference of its main character and how quickly everyone accepts that this supposedly-substandard magician from an unknown family is an utterly unstoppable godmode sue who defies all logic, reason, and the rules of magic as they understand them.

I question the sanity of Funimation's viewing recommendations too, since the site tried to fob me off with a short ONA called Bikini Warriors.  It's... not quite what I expected, in that it's a parody of the kind of gratuitously exploitative crap that the title would make you think it was.  It's still pretty skeevy tho.  At five minutes a pop including credits the entire series lasts maybe an hour and offers a few cheap D&D-style murderhobo laughs and some forgettably gratuitous fanservice.

I've started The Devil is a Part-Timer!, and it's also wildly different from what I expected.  I was given to understand this series was a comedy.  It's veering more and more towards the territory of action drama and has a lot more substance to it than I was prepared for.  I can't but feel like this has almost the same premise as I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job!.

I loved Hataraku Maou Sama (The Devil is a Part-Timer!) and I am so glad it is finally getting a 2nd season.  After reading the light novels, I do agree the comedy is really not front and center.

On 8/26/2021 at 5:22 AM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I loved Hataraku Maou Sama (The Devil is a Part-Timer!) and I am so glad it is finally getting a 2nd season.  After reading the light novels, I do agree the comedy is really not front and center.

I've been looking for light shows and actually started watching this for the comedy. So does it get tragic/overly serious at the end? I've read some gripes about the LN ending but haven't spoiled myself about it. Is the ending that bad or just below expectations?

I also recently finished Kaguya-sama Love is War S2, and I can say my standards for light and fun have gone up a bit. Did not see the downside to that haha