What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Higehiro's title definitely gives off a kind of skeevy vibe, but the content is mostly an attempt at heartwarming drama.  

It's definitely a little darker than what I was expecting.  It doesn't downplay the kind of trauma that would come from living on the streets the way Sayu did before she was taken in by Yoshida, and most of the drama seems to revolve around the as-of-yet unspecified issues that drove her to run away from home, her general unwillingness to believe in altruism, and her growing jealousy of the number of women who've suddenly noticed Yoshida exists for some arbitrary reason.

On 5/24/2021 at 2:23 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Higehiro's title definitely gives off a kind of skeevy vibe, but the content is mostly an attempt at heartwarming drama.  

It's definitely a little darker than what I was expecting.  It doesn't downplay the kind of trauma that would come from living on the streets the way Sayu did before she was taken in by Yoshida, and most of the drama seems to revolve around the as-of-yet unspecified issues that drove her to run away from home, her general unwillingness to believe in altruism, and her growing jealousy of the number of women who've suddenly noticed Yoshida exists for some arbitrary reason.

I always found the premise a bit problematic (god I hate using the word but cannot find anything else). As an adult man, I cannot help putting myself in his shoes and think of at least 2,3 other ways in which to help a runaway teenage girl which doesn't imply letting her live alone in your tiny apartment. Kudos to him for his altruism, but damn if it isn't the wrong way to handle things. Makes for some great drama tho.

86 and To Your Eternity are still the best things this season for me. The latter really manages to change the tone from episode to episode but in a good way.

8 hours ago, Marzan said:

I always found the premise a bit problematic (god I hate using the word but cannot find anything else). As an adult man, I cannot help putting myself in his shoes and think of at least 2,3 other ways in which to help a runaway teenage girl which doesn't imply letting her live alone in your tiny apartment. Kudos to him for his altruism, but damn if it isn't the wrong way to handle things. Makes for some great drama tho.

Yeah, the first couple episodes muse on that very reality several times... they stop just short of showing one of those "Do not attempt" warnings when Yoshida invites Sayu to his home and tells her she can live there.  They mention at least twice that taking in a runaway and living with her could conceivably end with him being arrested on suspicion of kidnapping and such.

On 5/28/2021 at 3:56 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I finally saw the Princess Principle movie and it was pretty good. 

I thought it was a treat. I'm glad you got to see it too. ^_^

I haven't been keeping up with much new anime since cancelling my Crunchyroll subscription. :ph34r: I'm hoping that Yuru Camp seasons 1 and 2 are eventually released to physical media along with the movie, though. I did watch Eden on Netflix this weekend. It was a heartwarming four-episode story that felt a lot like an OVA. 

Edited by technoblue

Catching up to various shows in this season...

It looks like So I'm a Spider, So What? is going to end its season right where the light novel because a master class in blueballing readers who were hoping for the plot to progress.  The bit where...

Spoiler

... right in the middle of the Demon Lord and Hugo's joint campaign to eradicate the Elves and permanently kill off Potimas, the story becomes a multi-volume flashback to the story arc where the unnamed spider evolves into an Arachne, there's an exposition dump to explain the nature of the world and why it's Potimas's fault, and then the unnamed protagonist achieves apotheosis and becomes the lady in white that's been seen in the OP and the scenes of the elf forest campaign.

The unnamed protagonist is still moderately likeable, even if she's showing more and more sociopathic tendencies now that she's out in a world of eminently squishy humans, but the writing in this is faithful to the light novel in all the bad ways.  At this rate it'll be 2-3 more seasons before this sidebar flashback rejoins the actual plot and still doesn't really help that the generic fantasy world isekai story is still way more interesting than watching a misanthropic spider shovel fruit into its gullet.

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level continues to be enjoyable, light-and-fluffy nonsense.  Nothing groundbreaking or even particularly interesting to make it stand out, but it's pretty much the perfect "breather" show if you're watching something heavy.

Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun! has actually taken a turn for the interesting with Iruma's "evil" side - apparently "evil" is VERY relative - having taken him over and made him into someone with an actual spine.  Now it feels less Actually, I am... and more Rosario+Vampire II-esque.  It's actually become rather interesting and I kinda wanna see where "Evil" Iruma is going with this.

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord: Omega is... itself.  It's one of those shows where I really suspect the people working on it tell their families they're unemployed.

Started watching Osamake: Romcom Where The Childhood Friend Won't Lose.  It's been a while since I've felt like a series managed to pull a bait and switch on me so quickly, with the title seemingly like a straightforward declaration of intent but the series quickly revealing it's a two childhood friend love triangle.  Also a weirdly aggressive love triangle story.  The girls are NOT messing around.

got too bored last weekend and decided to check out some anime on Prime and Netflix or something.

Demon Slayer <-- not bad. not bad at all. Way, way better than Attack on Titan or Bleach or whatever the genre it belongs to. Haven't seen the movie, tho, but looking forward to S2.

afterwards, went shoujo/seinen noitamina stuff coz there's really nothing else interesting on Prime...

After The Rain. <-- ok. not too shabby. a bit too short.

Wotakoii <-- surprisingly funny and enjoyably good. But WAY WAY too short. Prime don't even have the OVAs. Bummer.

Just finished Kuromukuro on Netflix and am about halfway through Tiger and Bunny.  Enjoyed the former, and am enjoying the latter. I'm enjoying the anime selection on Netflix, even if they are a bit behind on seasons for a number of them. Can't wait for the day when Macross starts showing up on there. Hopefully soon. Seems like they're in no hurry to get it out there even with their greatest roadblock finally removed.-_-

8 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Can't wait for the day when Macross starts showing up on there. Hopefully soon. Seems like they're in no hurry to get it out there even with their greatest roadblock finally removed.-_-

Technically if you VPN yourself in Japan you can watch Frontier and Delta on Netflix, issue is that there are no subtitles. 

Feeling a little flat after the last few episodes of the shows I've been following this season, so I'm going back in time to watch the original The Slayers series.

I've seen most of the OVAs, but it occurred to me while I was doing some cleaning that I'd never actually seen the original show.

On 6/14/2021 at 5:19 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I have been watching Non Non Biyori.  It is so hilarious.  Renge is just to funny.

Renge certainly is the heart of the show, but I love all the characters! Non Non Biyori is easily one of my favorite shows. 

I'm going the time travel thing too, and watching Sega and Tatsunoko's unrepentantly mediocre Lazer Tag toy commercial "Red Photon Zillion".

It's... not great, by any means. But amusing. Sometimes unintentionally so.

14 hours ago, Beltane70 said:

Renge certainly is the heart of the show, but I love all the characters! Non Non Biyori is easily one of my favorite shows. 

I agree I love all the characters too. Even the silent brother. Komari just reminds me of Poplar from working, with her height issues.  Both voice by Asumi Kana.  I like Kaede, but it just might be my love of Satou Rina coming out.

Demon Slayer was one of the few "popular" anime titles I actually enjoyed watching.     I still haven't seen the movie,  was out in theaters but all the restrictions they had in place soured me of that option.

This season,  my standout title was Zombieland Saga Revenge.    I ended up enjoying that way more then I should have.    Another surprise for me was Slime Diaries as I enjoyed the laid back vibe it gave off.    I still haven't gotten very far is S2 of Slime as it just turned me off. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2021 at 8:15 PM, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

So at this point I would say we probably reached the halfway point of the season.. so some updates.

Megalo Box 2...    meh.     I admit I am behind on this series.   I think they have Ep 7 out as I type this.   I am at Ep 5 and this season has none of the spark that made the first one so good.

Hige o Soru. Soshite Joshikousei o Hirou..    This is a newcomer for me,  as I was introduced to it via my extended group of Anime nerds..   I went in thinking this is Hentai Fodder,  and its not.   I am liking where this is headed.. I am currently on Ep 6.

Ijiranaide Nagatoro-san..   My opinion of this series has not changed.   If it wasn't for the manga I would have probably kicked this to the curb.   Female Lead is just comes off as an outright c****.   Her Friends make her look better but not by much.   At least the manga showed her inner thoughts when things got crazy.

Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu Omega..   Again nothing new here,  Fan service in search of a plot.   While not a bad thing his Edge lord style character is ruined when he can't handle himself around women.   It's almost as the first season never existed.

Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka..   Spider parts are enjoyable.  

Osananajimi ga Zettai ni Makenai LoveCome...    Pass.   The only reason why I am current with this series is because the same aforementioned group gets together and watches this garbage.

Slime Taoshite 300-nen Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashita...  Pretty vanilla series right here.   Another Isekai Edge Lord series just this time the lead is a woman.     I don't dislike it,  but its not really a stand out either.

SSSS.Dynazenon....   I still don't know where they are going with this.   Just recently it got linked to Gridman,  but I think its still struggling to tell a story.     The 8 year old me would have been screaming best this ever..   the adult me is like get to the point already.

Zombie Land Saga Revenge..   Probably the best title of this season of what I have covered.     On Ep6 and the Tae episode was great.

Overall this season is pretty meh.    Last season probably ruined me for abit with all the good series out at 1 time.

As this season is pretty much over I'll update what I covered so far.

Megalo Box 2..   dropped,  lost interest.

Hige o Soru. Soshite Joshikousei o Hirou..   I think this series tried for too much drama and emotional impact,  but not enough time to build the viewer on it.   I think the mother,  and the interactions at what was supposed to be a climax could best be described as  "The ending for lack of a better term was a cuck"    as quoted from my anime watching group.

Ijiranaide Nagatoro-san..   I think this series suicided during the first few episodes,  ultimately the latter episodes did kind well to balance  it out but overall still a bad adaptation of the source material.    

Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu Omega..   no change to what I said previously

Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka..   Spider parts are enjoyable.  

Osananajimi ga Zettai ni Makenai LoveCome...  I think this is the only series still going,  luckily for me I will miss the finale.    Waste of time.

Slime Taoshite 300-nen Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashita..    Vanilla..  with a dash of Yuri if your into that thing.

SSSS.Dynazenon....  Well the links to Gridman are clearly evident.    I didn't like it,   and I didn't dislike it.   I would watch more if they do more, if that counts for anything.

Zombie Land Saga Revenge..  As I said earlier the high point of an otherwise meh anime season.     I did not expect much but it performed better then expected,  surprising as I could care less about any Idol shows.

Bonus content...

I just started watching Odd Taxi because the same  anime group refuses to shut up about it.   I am about 6 episodes in currently.   I can see why people got into it, once you get over the whole "Richard Scarry" books thing it has going on.  It's managed to keep my interest to the point where I can watch multiple episodes in a sitting and that speaks volumes for this season.   Lets hope it can stick the ending.