What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Watched DOTA: Dragon's Blood on Netflix......it needed a LOT more exposition to explain stuff in my opinion. Way too many clues about the lore were opaque as hell. The arms/armor of a lot the characters were stupid/goofy and totally wrong for something that purports to be a Pseudo-Medieval setting. While that doesn't bother some people, it has always grated on my nerves. Bad enough everyone is wearing something that looks like late 14th Century plate armor but is easily cut by blades and arrows (which is basically BS of the highest order).

28 minutes ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I am really enjoying Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka.  Yuuki Aoi is always fun to listen too.

Very much a mixed bag,  TBH the spider parts are entertaining.   The Human parts are just another generic Isekai.. 

3 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Very much a mixed bag,  TBH the spider parts are entertaining.   The Human parts are just another generic Isekai.. 

That's pretty much the whole point of the human bits, and there's a bit of payoff further down the road when the two paths intersect (not really a spoiler, because of course they do).

On 4/8/2021 at 9:59 AM, Scyla said:

How can you say that? This show is the best thing since sliced bread!

Ha yeah, I love Villainess myself but understand it might not be everyone's cup of tea. The MC is amazing though - so, so oblivious yet great at the same time

Finished Horimiya - really enjoyed it though I hear they skipped a lot from the manga.  Also finished Wonder Egg Priority - liked this series a lot but the ending felt incomplete or unfulfilling to me.

So I'm a Spider, So What? is back after a brief hiatus.  The story's finally at the point where Things Actually Happen, so I'm keen to see if it becomes less of a slog.

My Hero Academia's fifth season has started airing.  Endeavour's finally getting some character development after becoming the No.1 Hero and getting b*tchslapped around by a high spec Nomu.  

Quite excited for the return of Zombie Land Saga in its seconds season, titled Zombie Land Saga Revenge.  The first season was excellent, so I have very high hopes for this one.

Bleh-tier isekai continues to be shoveled into the release schedule.  How Not To Summon a Demon Lord Omega and I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level both just started airing.

Still fumbling my way though Ben-to.  If this show had an actual plot to connect to I get the feeling I'd be a lot more interest in it, but if there is one it's so well hidden that it feels like everything in the five episodes I've seen so far is just random unconnected events.

1 hour ago, lechuck said:

Recently picked up the Code Geass Resurrection movie and need some insight (no spoilers please).

Is it necessary to watch the three prior movies because they change things up or can I jump in from the TV series ending?

There's some things that are changed, you can either look-up a change overview, or just watch them.

The largest change is that a certain little brother didn't kill a certain high-school girl.

So since this season is gonna be slow,  I am going back through some of the ones I missed from last season.

Kaifuku Jutsushi no Yarinaoshi...   Honestly I am 4 episodes in and its nothing to write home about,  I'll probably stick it out cause it managed to piss off all the right people.

Slime 2nd Season..  2 episodes in.   So far so good as long as it doesn't slog it should be fine.

And since i finally got my copy of Mad Bull 34 on DVD.. why not.

Osananajimi ga Zettai ni Makenai LoveCome -   Just started this one,   the childhood friend is thirsty...

Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu Omega -   The first season of this pretty much relied on some over the top fan service.    Mostly revolving around a top heavy elf..  not that there is anything wrong with that mind you.      But in all fairness I am not expecting much from this season,  2 episodes in and they discarded 2 of the more interesting characters,  lets hope not for the full season.

Ijiranaide Nagatoro-san -   I don't have high hopes for this as an anime adaption.  Facial expressions are comically exaggerated even more then the manga.   And Nagatoro comes off like a sadistic bitch after just 2 episodes.    At least the manga had the ability to give you some insight as to how she really feels.    

SSSS.Dynazenon -  not sure about this one,   not really into the genre as a whole but Gridman was very well done.    As another  studio trigger anime I have higher hopes.

3 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu Omega -   The first season of this pretty much relied on some over the top fan service.    Mostly revolving around a top heavy elf..  not that there is anything wrong with that mind you.      But in all fairness I am not expecting much from this season,  2 episodes in and they discarded 2 of the more interesting characters,  lets hope not for the full season.

Having read the light novel... this season is going even further over the top with the fanservice.  They're adding two more characters to Diablo's harem (a grasswalker loli and a robot maid with a one-track mind), the local governor wants to jump his bones, and the first villain's evil plan is literally powered by public indecency.  The only upsides are that you'll get to see Diablo's first real fight (as in, the first one that's not a curbstomp or interrupted) and watch him go absolutely apesh*t when the second villain brings his wives and they're all wearing that item that's his berserk button (wedding rings).

I've started How Not To Summon a Demon Lord Omega myself, and wasn't impressed.  I feel like the animation quality isn't as high as the first season's.

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level is, thus far, kind of a cutesy feel-good sort of series.  I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit.

My Hero Academia Season 5 is pretty fillerific... not much more to say about that.

Later I'm going to be starting 86 and Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro.

Another one that landed on my watchlist that I haven't started yet is Higehiro: After Being Rejected, I Shaved and Took In a High School Runaway.

Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu Omega is just as silly as ever. 

This season is just so weak.  I could drop everything I am watching and I wouldn't miss it.

At least I have

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-04-17/arifureta-from-commonplace-to-world-strongest-anime-2nd-season-debuts-in-january-2022/.171837

too look forward too. Also Satou Rina is going to be in it.

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

I take back my words about it being an underwhelming season. There's a couple of really solid shows that had flown under my radar.

86-  lots of Code Geass vibes from this one.

Vivy's Fluorite's Eye Song- Violet Evergarden meets Steins Gate.

To Your Eternity- might end up being the best of the lot. Last episode was Princess Mononoke meet some cosmic sci fi

• 2 weeks later...

So I was watching episode 3 of 86.  Maybe it's just me, but I would think that if you are attacked in your territory and I assume you patrol it, how do you NOT know the terrain?  :unknw:

Edited by DewPoint

Making my way through Borufi, and at episode 8 it feels like the story has run out of ideas.

It's a comedy, but the only joke is that Maple is stupidly overpowered because she keeps picking up overpowered abilities from hidden bosses she bumps into and using them in ways that the devs didn't anticipate.  It doesn't really go anywhere or do anything with that except repeat it.  Her gaining some new overpowered upgrade has reached the point of being a once-an-episode gag.

3 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Making my way through Borufi, and at episode 8 it feels like the story has run out of ideas.

It's a comedy, but the only joke is that Maple is stupidly overpowered because she keeps picking up overpowered abilities from hidden bosses she bumps into and using them in ways that the devs didn't anticipate.  It doesn't really go anywhere or do anything with that except repeat it.  Her gaining some new overpowered upgrade has reached the point of being a once-an-episode gag.

Bofuri I think is it's own special type of comedy alongside say One Punch Man.

It's not so much about the main character, as it is about the reaction of the rest of the cast/world to the main character.

55 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Bofuri I think is it's own special type of comedy alongside say One Punch Man.

It's not so much about the main character, as it is about the reaction of the rest of the cast/world to the main character.

I could buy that argument if the other members of her guild were actually around when she does this nonsense... but increasingly she's on her own and they only find out about it well after the fact so they're not even reacting to it.

2 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I could buy that argument if the other members of her guild were actually around when she does this nonsense... but increasingly she's on her own and they only find out about it well after the fact so they're not even reacting to it.

That's just the explanation for her weird abilities, the punchline is the rest of the cast reacting to her using them.

• 2 weeks later...

So at this point I would say we probably reached the halfway point of the season.. so some updates.

Megalo Box 2...    meh.     I admit I am behind on this series.   I think they have Ep 7 out as I type this.   I am at Ep 5 and this season has none of the spark that made the first one so good.

Hige o Soru. Soshite Joshikousei o Hirou..    This is a newcomer for me,  as I was introduced to it via my extended group of Anime nerds..   I went in thinking this is Hentai Fodder,  and its not.   I am liking where this is headed.. I am currently on Ep 6.

Ijiranaide Nagatoro-san..   My opinion of this series has not changed.   If it wasn't for the manga I would have probably kicked this to the curb.   Female Lead is just comes off as an outright c****.   Her Friends make her look better but not by much.   At least the manga showed her inner thoughts when things got crazy.

Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu Omega..   Again nothing new here,  Fan service in search of a plot.   While not a bad thing his Edge lord style character is ruined when he can't handle himself around women.   It's almost as the first season never existed.

Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka..   Spider parts are enjoyable.  

Osananajimi ga Zettai ni Makenai LoveCome...    Pass.   The only reason why I am current with this series is because the same aforementioned group gets together and watches this garbage.

Slime Taoshite 300-nen Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashita...  Pretty vanilla series right here.   Another Isekai Edge Lord series just this time the lead is a woman.     I don't dislike it,  but its not really a stand out either.

SSSS.Dynazenon....   I still don't know where they are going with this.   Just recently it got linked to Gridman,  but I think its still struggling to tell a story.     The 8 year old me would have been screaming best this ever..   the adult me is like get to the point already.

Zombie Land Saga Revenge..   Probably the best title of this season of what I have covered.     On Ep6 and the Tae episode was great.

Overall this season is pretty meh.    Last season probably ruined me for abit with all the good series out at 1 time.

Edited by Stampeed Valkyrie

On 5/19/2021 at 4:36 PM, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I am watching Flying Witch it is pretty cute series.

That’s one show that I really wish they’d make a second season of. There’s enough chapters of the manga to easily get another 12 episodes. 

because of boredom i subscribed to hulu and crunchyroll after a 4-5 year hiatus and have watched so many trash isekai harem shows that I think I lost a fair amount of intelligence. 

on the flipside, there's some really interesting shows like "86" and "Those Snow White Notes" that I am enjoying watching

Edited by Duymon

On 5/22/2021 at 6:47 AM, Duymon said:

because of boredom i subscribed to hulu and crunchyroll after a 4-5 year hiatus and have watched so many trash isekai harem shows that I think I lost a fair amount of intelligence. 

It does get rather samey after a while, doesn't it?

The only ones I've found that stand out in that crowd are Overlord (thanks to its villain protagonist premise and the protagonist being both emotionally and physically incapable of sexual interest) and Cautious Hero: The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious for its single (and largely one-sided) love interest that is "reciprocated" with violent loathing.

I've been playing catch-up this weekend while building a new terrarium stand.  

So I'm a Spider, So What? continues to be kind of a snore.  It's not the general accountancy simulator that That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is but I wish they'd get a move on and make progress in the general direction of the actual story.  It's taken almost 20 episodes to get to the point where the actual plot starts.  That sh*t was forgivable back in the day when a show could have 50+ episodes guaranteed but there's no promise this one'll get renewed past 25 and TBH the story ain't that good.

Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun! is in its second season and... it's still basically just Actually, I am... but less compelling in every way and leaning really really hard on wordplay puns.  Seven episodes in and they're finally picking up on the cliffhanger from season one.

My Hero Academia is in another one of the manga's more pointless moments of filler where it tries to pretend the rest of the cast are actually relevant and fails miserably.  I remain eternally bewildered how a psychopath like Bakugo is allowed to remain at that school too.

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level remains a cute, but substanceless, bit of light entertainment.  It got weirdly sexual in the last episode with the Demon Lord (a young girl) seemingly being really REALLY into Azusa because of an accidental kabedon.  

Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro started out kinda meh and seems to be headed into mildly entertaining territory now that the protagonist has realized that Nagatoro has her own weak points he can attack for the lulz.

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord Omega is... faithful to the original light novel.  That's a bad thing.  They're between story arcs, and any semblance of a story is in danger of being drowned out by the relentless advance of fan service that only got more explicit and transgressive as the light novel went on.  I am also like 99% certain that the end-of-episode art cards are now being drawn by h-doujinshi artists because I'm pretty sure I recognize some of those art styles from paid translations I did in the past.  I'm really REALLY hoping they cut this one off at the knees before it reaches the point in the light novel where there were actual naughty tentacles.  Just having Rose around is enough to take this one up at least one content rating level.

Starting Higehiro: After Being Rejected, I Shaved and Took In a Teenage Runaway now.  

Edited by Seto Kaiba