What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

16 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I really enjoyed I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job.  It was rather silly.

Silly it most definitely is.  Fanservice-y too.

Someone on staff is clearly a Trekkie as well... that dirty old man customer who comes to buy one lightbulb is drawn to look like Patrick Stewart, and he pulls up in a chariot(?) that looks like the original USS Enterprise.

Not sold on the series yet, mainly because it's going pretty hard with the fanservice.

Currently watching Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life. A stupid/silly isekai anime that parodies its own genre and plays with all the tropes to great comedic effect. 

A number of anime in-jokes too. Though I wonder if some of the younger viewers can catch the Photon Energy Barrier in-joke.

Totally enjoying this series (so far).

Just wrapped S2 of ReZero..  I have to admit the 2nd season was better then the first.   And that was a hard sell for me,  I did not want to watch S2 out of fear it would collapse on itself like Slime or Overlord.

Also finishing up a rewatch of Cowboy Bebop,  sitting on the final 2 episodes and decided to watch the movie first.     All in all while CB was a good series,  I think there are other examples from that period in time (late 90's early 00's) that don't get the recognition that CB did.    I will give CB credit for being 1 of a handful of titles I enjoy the dub for,  and that list is VERY short.

Yeah, just finished the second season of Re:Zero myself.  It was nice to see Subaru actually make a few lasting gains in the story after two seasons of the humiliation conga and various grisly deaths that he gets to remember every detail of.  That said, I am struck with a horrible sense of foreboding that those gains won't last and he'll be back to acting like a twit and getting killed six ways to sunday as of the start of the next story arc.  

(Kind of like how his comedy counterpart, Kazuma Sato from Konosuba, is always reset back to being a hikikomori at the end of every story arc in his series.)

I'm three episodes into I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job... and it's cute, but I feel like it's a little too fanservice-heavy?  There's a lot of upskirt panty shots and moments of censored nudity so far, most (but not all) of which involve Fino.  

Spoiler

Now, I know Fino's supposed to be naive and all... but damn that girl is stepping on the gas when it comes to Raul and I wonder if even she realizes it.  If a girl's vocally happy to have a shirt that smells like you, that's a girl who's long since marked her territory... 

It is rather amusing that the one with the filthiest imagination is clearly the manager, who is VERY clearly a Shipper on Deck for Raul and Fino and clearly has no ulterior motives for having her live next door to him whatsoever how dare we say such a thing.

Fanservice aside, I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job has gone to some interesting places... though none quite so bizarre as the show's climax, where Raul brutally beats the stupid out of two former hero candidates with a classroom ruler, and the store's manager delivers a no-holds-barred beatdown to a demon bent on murder using nothing more than a vacuum cleaner, a blowdryer, a boombox, and a rice cooker.  (After she magically weaponized the vacuum cleaner to suck up his magic, turned the dryer into a wind cannon, and the boombox into a sonic weapon, there was a great moment of subverted expectations where it looks like she's about to do something to weaponize the rice cooker by magic... but just beats him about the head with it instead because it's a blunt object.)

(They really went all-in on the Star Trek references with the old guy.  He looks like Patrick Stewart, his wagon looks like the classic TOS Enterprise, and his vanity plate is "NCC-1701-D".  It can even fly.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

So, on a lark, I started How Heavy are the Dumbbells You Lift?... and had to briefly stop and check I hadn't scoffed someone's edibles.

It's... it's... an experience.  On the surface, an only-partly-wholesome pseudo-sports anime about someone trying to get into shape... albeit freighted with the occasional fanservice-y technique demo.  Below that surface is a very strange place indeed, with a fitness trainer who alternates between being proportioned like a normal human being and looking like an even more musclebound version of Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star (whom he cosplays at one point), a best friend character who is apparently living in a world class competitive boxing gym, and a girl whose enthusiasm for muscles crosses the line from personal taste and ordinary fetish into feeling genuinely depraved.  

It rattles back and forth between the bizarre and the educational so readily and so often that I can't look away.  Half the time it's an amusing little PSA for personal fitness. The other half, it's every bit as bemusing as someone asking you out of the blue for a lightly grilled weasel on a sesame seed bun.  It's weirdly compelling in the same way that Iwakakeru was weirdly disappointing and bland.  They're both unconventional, but Iwakakeru took itself completely seriously while Dumbbells isn't so much taking refuge in audacity as it is living luxuriously in a palatial 15 bedroom mansion it built in audacity.

Six episodes into How Heavy are the Dumbbells you Lift? and I have to say that of the unconventional sports-type anime I've seen, this is far and away the most enjoyable.

A protagonist with an entirely mundane relatable goal, and moderately educational material snugly wrapped in a quirky yet anarchic sense of humor, tongue-in-cheek parody of other genres, and a fairly mild amount of fanservice that's nowhere near as exploitative as I'd figured it would be.  

Had a few moments where I involuntarily laughed out loud.  Especially when the narrator matter-of-factly announces that the remainder of a section on arm wrestling will be presented in the format of a shounen battle anime.  (That and the way Machio just... deflates... whenever anyone forces him to actually put on clothes and makes a slide whistle noise every time.  That his face never changes when he hulks out and inexplicably grows about two additional feet in height and puts on ~200lb in solid muscle for the sake of posing is bizarre in its own right.)

8 minutes ago, Beltane70 said:

Glad to hear that you enjoyed How Heavy are the Dumbbells You Lift? Seto! The show was airing during my last trip to Japan and I heard the opening theme song playing just about everywhere. 

I hate how much of an earworm this is, no matter how it's mixed. :lol:

Great show.  Just, absolutely great.

Well with this season wrapped up,  I am finally catching up,  and even starting a few that caught my eye but have not had a chance to see.

Wrapped Higurashi..  :good:  I admit I am easily biased as I am a big fan of the game.   I keep seeing debates about this version and the previous animated version.   Honestly I enjoyed both,  it did take some time to adjust to the new character designs.. but it was worth a watch.

Wrapped Horimiya..   This was a good rom-com..  I would put it up there with Saekano,  but it was pretty rushed at points many people complaining about cut content.    I guess I will need to read the manga at some point.

Making progress with Kaifuku Jutsushi no Yarinaoshi.    Alot of people bashing this series is what drew me to it.     I like it.   We shall see how it plays out.

Almost wrapped Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka..  or at least the 1st cour of it.    Very Meh overall,  If I can wrap this cour up I will think about the next one.

I am also getting around to watching the 4th and 5th season of the Tenchi Muyo OVA's.    I am sooo lost.    I recognize most of the characters but it has been sooo long since I actually followed this franchise that I can't remember who is what.    I did like the emergence of characters from Dual Trouble Adventure,    Which I would recommend if you can find it anyplace.

Wrapped up Quintuplets and another title that came out of nowhere that I enjoyed.   The ending is still pretty muddled but the cat is out of the bag on who he ends up with anyway.   Nino is still best girl.

I am about to dive into World Egg..  mostly because everyone is telling me its dark and twisted.. and TBH what is not to like about that!

Wrapped up most of this season... So I'm a Spider, So What? is on hiatus 'til the 9th, so nothing new from that front.

Went back for Ben-to, and I am NOT impressed.  I'm four episodes in, and I'm kind of sad to say that this show doesn't appear to have anything resembling a plot.  It's a one-joke comedy where the joke is comedic sociopathy.  Why is absolutely everyone in this world beating the stupid out of each other over half-priced bentos?  High school students, college students... even teachers and housewives.  Nobody seems to be put off in the slightest to find people laying around supermarkets beaten so badly they have to be hospitalized, over prepackaged lunches.  On a few occasions it's even framed as a kind of gang violence, but literally nobody seems to mind.  It's especially weird that the supermarkets where all these fights take place never object to their stories being the scene of a bloody brawl every night or think to just make a few more bentos so people don't have to fight over them.

I know I'm probably overthinking the premise by... well... a lot, but it feels like the required amount of thought to watch this show is not more than zero.

1 minute ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Wrapped up most of this season... So I'm a Spider, So What? is on hiatus 'til the 9th, so nothing new from that front.

Went back for Ben-to, and I am NOT impressed.  I'm four episodes in, and I'm kind of sad to say that this show doesn't appear to have anything resembling a plot.  It's a one-joke comedy where the joke is comedic sociopathy.  Why is absolutely everyone in this world beating the stupid out of each other over half-priced bentos?  High school students, college students... even teachers and housewives.  Nobody seems to be put off in the slightest to find people laying around supermarkets beaten so badly they have to be hospitalized, over prepackaged lunches.  On a few occasions it's even framed as a kind of gang violence, but literally nobody seems to mind.  It's especially weird that the supermarkets where all these fights take place never object to their stories being the scene of a bloody brawl every night or think to just make a few more bentos so people don't have to fight over them.

I know I'm probably overthinking the premise by... well... a lot, but it feels like the required amount of thought to watch this show is not more than zero.

I had to look up what a bento was:

index.thumb.jpg.eb648dc0ec89537d26f49eccf4537be5.jpg

So, they are essentially pulverizing one another over this?!

I think my few remaining brain cells would explode at this kind of stupid, so I'm gonna pass on this one. Thanks for the warning Seito.

7 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

So, they are essentially pulverizing one another over this?!

Yeah, the closest Ben-to offers to a justification for a constant low level gang war fought exclusively in supermarkets is that the boarding school the students in the show attend only serves breakfast in its dining hall, not lunch or dinner.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Yes, but not when they're fresh. Only markdowns are worthy of the battle.

To such a worrying extent that the markdown stickers are trophies.

If there's a plot thread here, it has completely eluded me.

28 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

So they're fighting over stale crap?

Not stale, but lunches that were made to sell that day which didn't... and would otherwise be tossed at the end of the day if they didn't sell.

Most of the characters are students living on allowances in a nearby boarding school.

The whole affair is very strange.

6 pm Bento markdown is no joke.  Hungry people on their way home from work or school can be scary!  I've never seen anyone fight over discount bento, but if you have to think about it too long it's not yours anymore!  :p

37 minutes ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I finally had time to finish Horimiya and I really liked this show.

Yup it was a good series.     The only real negative I am hearing is that so much content was cut,  apparently some pretty major events are skipped entirely. 

59 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Yup it was a good series.     The only real negative I am hearing is that so much content was cut,  apparently some pretty major events are skipped entirely. 

As a reader of the manga that's been waiting for a propper adaptation for over a decade I'm largely dissapointed by what we got; they tried to cover an entire 120 chapter manga in 12 episodes and while they hit most of the highlights it just felt super bland compared to the manga.

Trying to be objective I'd probably rate the anime as being rather good but knowing how much potential they wasted just really sours it as an adaptation.

2 minutes ago, Jaustin89 said:

As a reader of the manga that's been waiting for a propper adaptation for over a decade I'm largely dissapointed by what we got; they tried to cover an entire 120 chapter manga in 12 episodes and while they hit most of the highlights it just felt super bland compared to the manga.

Trying to be objective I'd probably rate the anime as being rather good but knowing how much potential they wasted just really sours it as an adaptation.

As I do with many series, I read the Manga after and I am doing with with Horimiya.

3 hours ago, Petrov27 said:

Somehow I am back re-watching My Next Life as a Villainess from a few seasons back; its nothing earth shattering but it is such a silly feel good show.

Season two's coming in July.

21 hours ago, Petrov27 said:

Somehow I am back re-watching My Next Life as a Villainess from a few seasons back; its nothing earth shattering but it is such a silly feel good show.

How can you say that? This show is the best thing since sliced bread!

I finished Jobless Reincarnation which is still quite good but it could do with more progress. The last couple of episodes they where wandering through the desert without much plot progression.

However it had a fair bit of character progression instead which is good.

I also finished all 50 episodes of Seed Destiny. What a waste of everyone’s time.