What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

I finished Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha...   and that was a terrible finale episode.       I probably am being harsher then I should but the whole plot was pointless.    Its like using a cheat on a boss to 1 hit them,  boring and in the end utterly devoid of value.        If he could one shot his way to the end like that,  I don't see the point of all the other things he decided to do.      -10 out of 10... 

Also wrapped up Monster Musume no Oisha-san..   not much more to say about this then I already have.    @Seto Kaiba probably did the best job summing this up.      This is another series that I watched and move on from.   

Should be finishing up Uzaki chan shortly.   

16 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

I finished Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha...   and that was a terrible finale episode.       I probably am being harsher then I should but the whole plot was pointless.    Its like using a cheat on a boss to 1 hit them,  boring and in the end utterly devoid of value.        If he could one shot his way to the end like that,  I don't see the point of all the other things he decided to do.      -10 out of 10... 

Also wrapped up Monster Musume no Oisha-san..   not much more to say about this then I already have.    @Seto Kaiba probably did the best job summing this up.      This is another series that I watched and move on from.   

Should be finishing up Uzaki chan shortly.   

I agree both of those shows ended badly.

Yeah, this has been kind of a disappointing season for me... but I have a good feeling about the next one.

Gave Mob Psycho 100 a whirl over dinner... its first episode did not thrill me.  I'm going to give it a few more episodes but this definitely isn't drawing me in the way One Punch Man did.

27 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yeah, this has been kind of a disappointing season for me... but I have a good feeling about the next one.

Gave Mob Psycho 100 a whirl over dinner... its first episode did not thrill me.  I'm going to give it a few more episodes but this definitely isn't drawing me in the way One Punch Man did.

This was one of my favorite seasons.  Railgun, Oregairu, SAO  and ReZero were my highlights.

Finished Uzaki-chan wants to hang out.     It's what I expected.   I enjoy the manga,  and the anime kept the same pacing. 

ReZero was the standout for me this season.    I haven't watched SAO since the beginning,  it never clicked with me.    Railgun T was good from what I have seen so far.. much better then the 3rd season of Index.

14 hours ago, treker14 said:

Just finished the 12 episodes of Dragon Pilot: Hisone & Masotan as well as Dirty Pair Flash 1 & 2 

Continuing Patlabor TV series & moving onto Dirty Pair Flash 3 & have started Mobile Suit Gundam Seed

Nice.  I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on Dirty Pair Flash.  That one, IMO, has an undeservedly bad rap.

Gundam SEED's one I'd advise against marathoning.  It's not bad, but it's kinda got that Macross 7 problem going for it where it can feel a bit samey after a bit of you're watching it all back-to-back.  (It is, admittedly, hilarious that SEED Destiny as a series gets gundamjacked halfway through.)

Started Mob Psycho 100 over from the beginning so I could watch it through uninterrupted.

The plot's hasn't really hooked me yet, but one scene really has gotten my attention.  When they first introduce Mob's love interest, all the other girls have vegetables for heads.  That's a visually striking way to make it clear Mob's got eyes for nobody else, and it's animated really REALLY well.  Reigen's kind of a manipulative creep.  Kinda hoping he becomes less of a creep as the series goes on, or this'll be hard to stomach given how trusting Mob seems to be.  It definitely has a very different feel overall from One Punch Man.

Six episodes into Mob Psycho 100 and I'm still undecided about the series.

Mob really feels like basically the same character as Saitama, except he's afraid of his overwhelming power instead of annoyed by the lack of challenge it confers.  I definitely don't like Reigen.  He's kind of an objectively awful person.

I cant wait for the next season. The only anime I really like is RE:Zero season 2. Demon something something seem decent but rushed and has one of the most terrible finale episode.

I am currently saving the episode of Deca-dence which has a good review initially so I hope it really is good when I start on it.

No Guns Life, I enjoyed Season 1 but middle of season 2, I just cant find any reason to continue.

Well, I finished the first season of Mob Psycho 100 a moment ago... kind of a weird genre shift it goes through, from a sort of slice of life about painfully introverted Mob to fighting a frankly ridiculous organization of evil psychics who never grew out of their 2nd year middle school syndrome.

Not a bad show, overall, but IMO not as good or as compelling as One Punch Man.  A solid 7/10 at the very least.

Spoiler

Having Reigen inexplicably start behaving like a responsible adult and then curbstomp the bad guys was unexpected to say the least, but surprisingly compelling as a plot twist.

2 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

REZero was just so awesome this season.  I loved every episode so much,  Reading the Light Novel in advance really helped.

Yup,

Now we wait till Winter 2021 anime season for the 2nd part...   which looks to be shaping up to be a busy one.

I've pushed past Ep 5 of Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru Kan.    TBH I am super close to dropping it,  which is disappointing because I enjoyed the other 2 seasons. 

15 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Not sure how " current" is defined. Just finished Psycho-Pass 2 and Attack on Titan 2.

Honestly, at this point the thread is less "what current anime are you watching" and more "what anime are you currently watching"

3 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

I've pushed past Ep 5 of Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru Kan.    TBH I am super close to dropping it,  which is disappointing because I enjoyed the other 2 seasons. 

I'd advise sticking with it if you can. It's definately much weaker than the first seasons but the payoff in the last couple episodes is quite good; unfortunately I can't say it gets much better until then so you've still ~5 weak episodes till it picks up.

ok so I pushed through and finished Yahari Ore.. yatta yatta,

Disappointing sums it up.    It did end on a brighter note,  but it fell apart around Ep 4 and did not really start to rebound until Ep 10.  IMO that's far too late,  and the finale season falls flat.     I do like that they wrapped it up, and a decision was made,  as usual I didn't agree with his choice and literally 90% of the 3rd season was Prom this or prom that.   

On 10/1/2020 at 4:17 AM, JB0 said:

Honestly, at this point the thread is less "what current anime are you watching" and more "what anime are you currently watching"

Interesting, I always thought that the latter one was the title of this thread. :shok:

Anyhow, I started to watch Bleach again.
Back when it aired I dropped out during the Hueco Mundo arc. With thr arc being so similar to the Soul Society one and having to wait a week to move the story forward a miniscule bit forward just to find out that there was another filler arc I lost interest in the show.

Now with the news that Bleach will return in 2021 I thought to give the show another chance or at least finish the Aizen storyline. I wonder how it will play out this time.

14 minutes ago, Scyla said:

Interesting, I always thought that the latter one was the title of this thread. 

This actually got debated a few years ago and it was decided that the next version of the thread would be retitled "What Anime Are You Currently Watching?" because even back then the thread was being used to talk about what ever anime people were watching at the time wether it was current or not.:)

Edited by renegadeleader1

18 hours ago, Scyla said:

Now with the news that Bleach will return in 2021 I thought to give the show another chance or at least finish the Aizen storyline. I wonder how it will play out this time.

Ah, I hadn't heard they were going back to finish up adapting the manga.

I guess ending on "Welcome to our Xcution" was kind of a weird story arc to finish on... though I'm not sure adapting the "Thousand Year Blood War" arc is necessarily a kindness since that was Tite Kubo trying to kill off the manga in a way that prevented sequels so he could move on from it.  He became a big fan of the audience punch in that part.

I'm about halfway into Mob Psycho 100's second season.  It's still not great, IMO, but it's pretty good.  Feels a bit scattered, changing gears twice already from their usual exorcisms to hunting urban legends to dealing with problematic psychics again.

The last two arc of Bleach was painful to read. Thousand Year Blood War more so, the opponent are so Overpowered, and for some reason will have an ability that is really well suited against their match up, but wait, someone or something will come up later on that perfectly counter that ability later on.

Btw, Current Anime right now seem caught up on Covid. There are "potentially" good anime. Some are even sequel.

On 9/28/2020 at 1:42 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Nice.  I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on Dirty Pair Flash.  That one, IMO, has an undeservedly bad rap.

Sorry for the late response. I'll  give you thoughts without comparing to the original otherwise I just keep talking about the original.  I enjoyed Mission 1 although I felt it leaned more towards Kei. Mission 2 was sorta of boring especially since it took place on an amusement planet during the 20th century so there was no real sci-fi. Mission 3 was my favorite it had comedy and action while the Dirty Pair caused destruction in each episode. 

7 hours ago, treker14 said:

Sorry for the late response. I'll  give you thoughts without comparing to the original otherwise I just keep talking about the original.  I enjoyed Mission 1 although I felt it leaned more towards Kei. Mission 2 was sorta of boring especially since it took place on an amusement planet during the 20th century so there was no real sci-fi. Mission 3 was my favorite it had comedy and action while the Dirty Pair caused destruction in each episode. 

Yeah, Mission 3 feels the most like classic Dirty Pair... though I have to admit Mission 1's opening song is just an incredible earworm.

Finished Mob Psycho 100 tonight... not bad, but really not great IMO.  It doesn't leave as strong an impression as One Punch Man did.  The anarchic comedy is there, but Mob is hard to relate to because he's so deadpan almost all the time and, well, literally goes from 0-100 with little to no middle ground.  Reigen's a lot of fun, mostly because he's a decent person but behaves like a wildly irresponsible jackass to the disappointment and frustration of everyone around him.

Crunchyroll has dropped the first episodes of I'm Standing on a Million LivesIwakakeru - Sport Climbing Girls, and Tonikawa: Over the Moon for You, so those are next up for me.

So... current season stuff.

Tonikaku Kawaii, localized as Tonikawa: Over the Moon for You, is apparently having its anime adaptation produced by Crunchyroll itself and marketed as a "Crunchyroll Original".

Spoiler

... this IS a romcom, right?  The last time I saw a romance comedy start with the protagonist bleeding out in the snow it was Hayate the Combat Butler.

I got all of about twenty seconds into the episode when my monitor lizard decided she wanted to take a dump the size of a birthday cake and had to be dissuaded from doing so on the kitchen floor.

Spoiler

So, bleeding out in the snow and being reassured that it takes more than that to kill a person were the first words this poor as-of-yet unnamed schlub heard from his wife?  That ain't exactly a great memory.

Hm... that's an unusual name.  The main guy's name is 星空 (written "Hoshizora" lit. "Starry Sky" but pronounced "Nasa" like the space agency).  As per standard anime/manga practice, an unusual name means the character has a MASSIVE complex about it.  Hopefully not as bad as Lucy (remainder omitted) Yagami from Servant X Service, but it seems right up there.  Unusually, HE'S the one making jokes about it.  All the boasting would be a death flag normally... good thing this is a romcom.  (Still, 1st place on the national trial exam?  Maybe he's justified in boasting.)

... the thirst is real.  He legitimately saw a cute girl and was so distracted he wandered into traffic and got creamed by a semi truck!  Good thing this isn't an isekai series.  

... woah, the thirst is so real he's trying to walk off getting creamed by a semi truck in an attempt to talk to the girl.  This might be the start of his bright youth, but that poor truck driver's going to have PTSD nightmares for years because of that.  He chased her down ON BROKEN LEGS.  TWICE!  To hit on her.  :shok:  And she proposes to him in return.  Talk about hitting the gas.

(Then he immediately throws his life away pining for her because he doesn't see her again, skips high school entirely, and works a service industry job?)

Proposed alternate title: Too Thirsty to Die.

He's literally filling out the marriage registration like a moron, sight-unseen, knowing nothing more than her name.

His name is NASA, her family name is Tsukuyomi... the name of the Shinto moon god.

Talk about moving fast.  Episode 1 is over and the two main characters are already married... and Nasa's losing his goddamn mind over holding hands.

All told, fun and a little unconventional... it's odd to see a Japanese romcom where the male lead is so forward about things, a little too much so in Nasa's case.

I look forward to seeing more, and really want an explanation for this bizarre premise.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

So... current season stuff.

Tonikaku Kawaii, localized as Tonikawa: Over the Moon for You, is apparently having its anime adaptation produced by Crunchyroll itself and marketed as a "Crunchyroll Original".

Hide contents

... this IS a romcom, right?  The last time I saw a romance comedy start with the protagonist bleeding out in the snow it was Hayate the Combat Butler.

I got all of about twenty seconds into the episode when my monitor lizard decided she wanted to take a dump the size of a birthday cake and had to be dissuaded from doing so on the kitchen floor.

Hide contents

So, bleeding out in the snow and being reassured that it takes more than that to kill a person were the first words this poor as-of-yet unnamed schlub heard from his wife?  That ain't exactly a great memory.

Hm... that's an unusual name.  The main guy's name is 星空 (written "Hoshizora" lit. "Starry Sky" but pronounced "Nasa" like the space agency).  As per standard anime/manga practice, an unusual name means the character has a MASSIVE complex about it.  Hopefully not as bad as Lucy (remainder omitted) Yagami from Servant X Service, but it seems right up there.  Unusually, HE'S the one making jokes about it.  All the boasting would be a death flag normally... good thing this is a romcom.  (Still, 1st place on the national trial exam?  Maybe he's justified in boasting.)

... the thirst is real.  He legitimately saw a cute girl and was so distracted he wandered into traffic and got creamed by a semi truck!  Good thing this isn't an isekai series.  

... woah, the thirst is so real he's trying to walk off getting creamed by a semi truck in an attempt to talk to the girl.  This might be the start of his bright youth, but that poor truck driver's going to have PTSD nightmares for years because of that.  He chased her down ON BROKEN LEGS.  TWICE!  To hit on her.  :shok:  And she proposes to him in return.  Talk about hitting the gas.

(Then he immediately throws his life away pining for her because he doesn't see her again, skips high school entirely, and works a service industry job?)

Proposed alternate title: Too Thirsty to Die.

He's literally filling out the marriage registration like a moron, sight-unseen, knowing nothing more than her name.

His name is NASA, her family name is Tsukuyomi... the name of the Shinto moon god.

Talk about moving fast.  Episode 1 is over and the two main characters are already married... and Nasa's losing his goddamn mind over holding hands.

All told, fun and a little unconventional... it's odd to see a Japanese romcom where the male lead is so forward about things, a little too much so in Nasa's case.

I look forward to seeing more, and really want an explanation for this bizarre premise.

FYI, it's the same Mangaka as Hayate the Combat Butler.

I got a chance to sit down and finish Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo - Oretachi no Game Set.    Which is the final OVA for the TV series,   interstingly enough I found the finale to be more entertaining then the rest of the series.   The ending however be forewarned is incredibly stupid but par for the course for these type of series.

I still have an issue with the character designs,  and I pretty much universally dislike just about every character in this series.    Honestly it seemed like it was trying to rip off the MC of SNAFU,  but I never disliked Hachiman,  and I actively disliked the MC in this series.    Honestly more of an obligation watch since I did give the TV series a go.

Also started the Fall Season with Danmachi Season 3..  While I enjoy this series overall I can see the whole Harem building concept going stale rather quickly.    I'll see how this series pans out.

I am also going back to a title from the Spring 2020 anime season.. Gleipnir.   I am about 4 episodes into it,  and surprisingly the Mrs. is into it.   I'm still in the middle on it but it does have some promise.