What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Just watched Dragon's Heaven from 1988 - wow pretty interesting though short and not a whole lot of story there

Continuing Haikyu and enjoying it, though at one point I somehow jumped from season 1 ep 17 or so to season 3 some episode and I didn't even realize it till half way through. Them volleyball matches starting to look mighty similar....

Edited by Petrov27

1 hour ago, Petrov27 said:

Just watched Dragon's Heaven from 1988 - wow pretty interesting though short and not a whole lot of story there

Continuing Haikyu and enjoying it, though at one point I somehow jumped from season 1 ep 17 or so to season 3 some episode and I didn't even realize it till half way through. Them volleyball matches starting to look mighty similar....

Out of curiosity you didn't watch Dragon's Heaven because a random recommendation popped up on your youtube feed with a guy reviewing it and comparing it to scifi artist Mobius' work did you?

17 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Out of curiosity you didn't watch Dragon's Heaven because a random recommendation popped up on your youtube feed with a guy reviewing it and comparing it to scifi artist Mobius' work did you?

Ha yep - checking my history it was:

If Moebius Made Anime

Just now, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Yeah... was waiting for Irregular to continue. Gives me more time to go through the books.

We are getting the movie streamed here by Funi starting May 1st. Plus they got the series as well if you don't have netflix. (Will check to see if it moved or just added to another service)

32 minutes ago, Focslain said:

Yeah... was waiting for Irregular to continue. Gives me more time to go through the books.

We are getting the movie streamed here by Funi starting May 1st. Plus they got the series as well if you don't have netflix. (Will check to see if it moved or just added to another service)

The movie is pretty good, I saw it awhile ago.  I like the books, they are a interesting read. 

15 hours ago, Petrov27 said:

Ha yep - checking my history it was:

If Moebius Made Anime

Yup! Youtube and google algorithms. Kind of creepy, but it kind of makes sense. We likely share similar tastes being on this forum and all in addition to watching similar youtube channels so it's no surprise that recommendation would trigger.

This just released on Netflix a few days ago. I really enjoyed this movie, the artwork and animation are topnotch... it's great to see another release from Kyoto Animation. Eventually a second movie is to be released, so I'm looking forward to that as well. 

I just started "Cells at Work" on Netflix.

!!!!!DUBBED!!!!!!

And it's not bad.  I listened to the Nihongo version for a bit and then the English and the voices matched up pretty well so I said what the heck, let's leave it on Eigo and let it roll.

The series itself is full of a ton of tropes and uses them to good comedic effect.

The animation is top notch and since its by David Production, there's more than a few visual references to their JoJo's productions, which I love.

The kicker is the little knowledge drops about anatomy and human biology.

I can almost envision a scenario where some high up government official in JP's education ministry looked at kids biology scores, was appalled, and immediately asked their underlings, what could be done to improve scores, to which one immediately replied, "cartoons, I hear the kids are into cartoons nowadays".

I actually recommended episode 3 to my better half to give as an remote learning assignment to her middle schools science students.

I learn a couple of new things per episodes whilst being entertained.

Also, the opening is quite catchy.  Sadly not available in the original Japanese on Spotify:

4 hours ago, Mazinger said:

!!!!!DUBBED!!!!!!

And it's not bad.  I listened to the Nihongo version for a bit and then the English and the voices matched up pretty well so I said what the heck, let's leave it on Eigo and let it roll.

The series itself is full of a ton of tropes and uses them to good comedic effect.

The animation is top notch and since its by David Production, there's more than a few visual references to their JoJo's productions, which I love.

I can almost envision a scenario where some high up government official in JP's education ministry looked at kids biology scores, was appalled, and immediately asked their underlings, what could be done to improve scores, to which one immediately replied, "cartoons, I hear the kids are into cartoons nowadays".

I actually recommended episode 3 to my better half to give as an remote learning assignment to her middle schools science students.

Also, the opening is quite catchy.  Sadly not available in the original Japanese on Spotify:

I've been tempted to try this one.. I'll give it a watch later tonight. B))

On 4/29/2020 at 1:57 PM, Mazinger said:

!!!!!DUBBED!!!!!!

I have seen this in Japanese with subs and it is so good and funny.

On 4/29/2020 at 1:00 AM, 505thAirborne said:

This just released on Netflix a few days ago. I really enjoyed this movie, the artwork and animation are topnotch... it's great to see another release from Kyoto Animation. Eventually a second movie is to be released, so I'm looking forward to that as well. 

I'm glad in this movie, kyo- ani ditched that weird black smokey filter they placed over the tv series visuals. Here, all of the colors are bright and detail of each character shines through. Good stuff. 

On 4/29/2020 at 4:57 PM, Mazinger said:

And they confirmed Cell at Work: Dark for next year. That should be interesting.

So finished Macross Zero. It was enjoyable. Nice to see the proto-valks as well as how outclassed the conventional fighters were to the new tech. Props to Shin for dodging a missile storm in a F14, mad skills.

Story was nice and tight, though the ending was a bit wtf? (Shin's final flight)

The triangle was nicely done, like SDFM and Frontier, there was a good connection on all sides. Mao was seriously macking on Shin though. Also this added a bit more depth to the movie arc from Frontier. The parallel was definitely there.

The fights were.... dear gods lovely. Only issue was the first VF-0 transformation, that was some odd camera work. Outside of that nice multi-mode usage and some sweet maneuvering by Shin and Folker.

Really the only really bad thing about this entry is the lack of music and the really gritty CGI. It might have been a product of the time though. It was better in Frontier and Delta.

Next hitting movies this weekend if I can not get too distracted by Subnatica.

Needs more Cowbell..  

That video was pretty neat,  the music from that series always stood out more then the series itself.  

And while I understand its continuing popularity.. as a whole I thought CB was good ..  and did have several outstanding episodes.. real folk blues pt 1 and pt 2 being good examples of this.      It's also a good example of a title that has a good dub cast,  this and Hellsing are on my dub shortlist.    Unfortunately I can't say the same for most titles anymore.

Finished a rewatch of Rascal Does not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai "Seishun Buta Yarō".  I stand by my original observation that the movie Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl completely changes the overall tone of the series.    And while that is not necessarily a bad thing its enough of a disruption that some viewers might not like the direction it takes.

Overall though I would give it a solid 9/10

Next on the way is What Do You Do at the End of the World? Are You Busy? Will You Save Us?  or SukaSuka as it's called by fans.    This series left an impression on me when i first came across it a year or so back.    I am gonna give it a re watch to see if it holds up. 

So sat down and watched DYRL? This might have been my first actual viewing. I think that due to just scenes popping all over the net I assembled the movie in my memory prior.

I understand why this tends to top charts. The animation does hold up in a classical sense, lovely music and good action. Story was nice til the end and then it kind of sped up a bit.

Still amazed me that considering the detail in the mechanics of this that all of it was drawn. No CGI at all. It's the old argument of what is better, a painting or a photograph? Mad skills to the animators.

Not my #1 macross (Macross Plus: The Movie), but I'll grant it the #3 spot until I rewatch the frontier movies. 

Oh and forgot to mention in my post finishing Frontier. Good move on the part of the writers in not showing ANY scenes for the final episode in the preview. Considering what happens it would have been near impossible to not spoil other wise.

Also started my watch of Mac7, only taking this 1-2 eps a day to avoid repetitiveness. Only two episodes in and I can see the scene catalog forming.

In non-macross related watching.

Took a shot on Princess Driver Re:Connect, and this has Konasuba DNA all up in it. Good for a laugh and this cast of waifu bait is looking very nice. Only two episodes in but going to catch up later.

Also due to what I've seen I want to take a shot at Gliepnr. It looks.... interesting.

Edited by Focslain

On 5/1/2020 at 8:12 AM, Focslain said:

Really the only really bad thing about this entry is the lack of music and the really gritty CGI. It might have been a product of the time though. It was better in Frontier and Delta.

I found that they continually improved the CG throughout the OVA. The first episode of Zero had some really stiff movement and camera work with the Tomcats and Fulcrums, and the missile trails/flares/explosions were decidedly PS2-eqsue, but by the last ep. it was really well done.

So many productions this season have had to be suspended due to the Covid19 situation. The only 2 series I'm watching that are still ongoing are of course Kaguya-sama and Gleipnir which is ecchi, ridiculous but also entertaining in the "bring the popcorn out" in the best of ways.

On 5/5/2020 at 11:08 PM, Sanity is Optional said:

Gleipnir is the best trash.

It is, isn't it? Just makes sure no one comes in while you're watching it. You'll have a lot of explaining to do then :lol:

The 8th Son? That Can't Be Right! is proving to be the painfully generic sleep-inducer I suspected it was going to be.  Fantasy at its most generic, to the extent that I literally cannot tell you what the protagonist's name is, and I literally just finished the most recent episode.

Reincarnated into an Otome Game as a Villainess with only Destruction Flags is proving to be a surprisingly lighthearted and entertaining series, in no small part because Catarina (the show's main character) has so thoroughly derailed the plot of the otome game setting she was reincarnated into that she's not only stolen the role of main character from the otome game's main character Maria, she's accidentally turned it into a reverse harem series with a harem of both the original male capture targets AND the rival female characters.

• 2 weeks later...