What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

On 8/12/2018 at 3:36 PM, Keith said:

Discotek just blew up Otakon

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-08-12/discotek-licenses-giant-robo-kimagure-orange-road-galaxy-express-999-more/.135382

- Giant Robo (BD)

- Galaxy Express TV (BD)

- Godmars

- Voltes V

- Kimagure Orange Road (BD)

- Baldios TV

- Area 88 OVA

My sister tweeted me about this, Area 88 is on our must have list as UN Squadron was one of the most played games on our SNES growing up. Only Secret of Mana had more screen time. 

I'm still interested in seeing more of GE999.   I have the DVD part 1 release from S'more or whatever they called themselves,  and they never released anything else.    I'm not sure I would double dip on the first part,  but I would pick up the parts I did not have already on Blu-ray.

Area 88 and KOR are also on my list.

Discotek really is becoming one of my favorite anime companies. They license classics that have never seen the light of day on the States that other studios would pass on for being "too old" or "too obscure". The best part is they are being successful at it and making a pretty good profit that keeps them in the black. :)

On 8/12/2018 at 9:36 PM, Keith said:

Discotek just blew up Otakon

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-08-12/discotek-licenses-giant-robo-kimagure-orange-road-galaxy-express-999-more/.135382

- Giant Robo (BD)

- Galaxy Express TV (BD)

- Godmars

- Voltes V

- Kimagure Orange Road (BD)

- Baldios TV

- Area 88 OVA

Discotek is really becoming the saviour of the old otaku set. I can think of no one better to pick up this stuff and make a really good release of it. My wallet is getting ready for Giant Robo and Kimagure Orange Road.

On 8/16/2018 at 7:01 AM, renegadeleader1 said:

Discotek really is becoming one of my favorite anime companies. They license classics that have never seen the light of day on the States that other studios would pass on for being "too old" or "too obscure". The best part is they are being successful at it and making a pretty good profit that keeps them in the black. :)

I think they choose their works carefully and have a really good feel for how the market is for the different shows. They know their stuff.

It's a shame they didn't get the license for LOGH instead of Sentai.

Just wrapping up a rewatch of Utawarerumono False Faces..     I figured I would give it a rewatch after playing Mask of Deception..   Not a terrible adaptation,  but the ending of the anime changed some pretty important details from the game.    I honestly hoping they decide to animate Mask of Truth.. as the anime just is left hanging.

The biggest detractions come from the Joke of a localization that Sentai did on this title...  both dub and sub..  Seriously I would expect this from the likes of Bootleggers not an official release.

I know the purists will probably flame me for this...  but I'd recommend the anime if your never going to play the game.. it gets most of the main points correct.

Edited by Stampeed Valkyrie

• 2 weeks later...

My choice of animes has been eclectic lately. I'm hooked by LOGH: Die Neue These and Yamato 2022 (followup of 2199), just finishing up on MS Gundam Origins films (damn those are great), re-watching Gundam 00 and Wing marathon.

And now I'm avidly following Angolmois anime which covered Japanese resistance of Mongol invasion of Japan, and surprisingly, Overlord season 1-3. 

And the sequel of Gundam Unicorn is around the corner.

I finished watching Nadia The Secret of Blue Water the other day and I'm still torn on it. The first half of the show is solid but man those shipwrecked episodes really drag the series down (it does get us that reused asset AMV episode which was fun). I stuck with it though cause I liked the characters and setting enough, the last five or so episodes really bring everything back together for a good finale. I doubt I'll ever give it a rewatch but it was an ok show.

That opening brings back memories...

Also, yes, those shipwrecked episodes were bad, and have a notorious production story to explain them. (I don't remember all of it, something about being directed by someone else on the team... or even outsourced, maybe? also financial troubles because 90s Gainax, etc. Long and short of it is that they're very obviously different from the canon episodes.) The creators have publicly disowned those episodes. I want to say they even went so far as to exclude those episodes from the box set, isolating them on their own extras disc. (That sounds a bit farfetched, though.)

7 hours ago, kajnrig said:

That opening brings back memories...

Also, yes, those shipwrecked episodes were bad, and have a notorious production story to explain them. (I don't remember all of it, something about being directed by someone else on the team... or even outsourced, maybe? also financial troubles because 90s Gainax, etc. Long and short of it is that they're very obviously different from the canon episodes.) The creators have publicly disowned those episodes. I want to say they even went so far as to exclude those episodes from the box set, isolating them on their own extras disc. (That sounds a bit farfetched, though.)

It had to do with the Network demanding that the production run be extended from 26 episodes to 36, which resulted in Hideaki Anno quitting Gainax (the first time).

All things considered, the Island episodes aren't "that bad," and do still retain important story elements (the island turning out to be Blue Noah, and contacting space).

It's the Africa episodes that are absolute trash, have zero plot relevance, and should be avoided at all costs.

I finished OreShura last night and it is a ok show not great not bad.  I watched Clannad After Story 16-20 last night and it still hurts, I have been skipping Clannad music today because I am sure to  break down right now.  I didn't want to cry on a treadmill.

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

23 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Also, yes, those shipwrecked episodes were bad, and have a notorious production story to explain them. 

16 hours ago, Keith said:

It had to do with the Network demanding that the production run be extended from 26 episodes to 36, which resulted in Hideaki Anno quitting Gainax (the first time).

I had a feeling that was the case when the tone took a wild change along with the animation quality. I figured the shipwreck episodes would only last a few episodes so I stuck with it, I think it was about the fourth episode in I realized there was something seriously wrong and it wasn't going to get better for a while.

Finished Maoyu this week. Such a great hidden gem worthy of a second season that you know will never happen. Archenemy is so adorable especially the moment she takes off her demon horns and show's Hero they're just for show or how she gets caught preparing for their first meeting by practicing on a hugging pillow of him. 

Also started three other series. Amagi Brilliant Park which is fun as all hell to watch, but with the flashbacks the main character is having I'm pretty sure there's going to be a pretty dark reveal about why he's afraid of heights.

The next show is How Not To Summon a Demonlord. Definately a guilty pleasure, and I like how the main character has this inner monologue about how he really is versus portraying this demonlord character that was his online gaming persona.

Finally I'm watching Record of Grancrest War. Good god the pacing of this show is breakneck! I think it accomplishes in five episode what some fantasy shows take three seasons to accomplish!

Amagi Brilliant Park was fun to watch, and not what I expected going in. It's unique twist on the hidden world within our world scenario really drew me in.

I also enjoyed Record of the Gancrest War, although the pacing does seem to slow down a bit in the middle (albeit temporarily). I was surprised by how many important plot points were underscored by truly dark motivations. That's an uncommon thing with modern-day anime.

In other news, I've been working through my own anime backlog on Netflix. This last week I finished Children of the Whales and A.I.C.O. Both were poignant in their own way.

23 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

The next show is How Not To Summon a Demonlord. Definately a guilty pleasure, and I like how the main character has this inner monologue about how he really is versus portraying this demonlord character that was his online gaming persona.

Biggest guilty pleasure of the season. It's like a super ecchi version of Overlord with less filler world building. Together with Harukana Receive it's one of the big guilty pleasures of the season.

10 minutes ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I am loving Island this show is just so strange that I love it.  Harukana Receive is my second favorite.

...this wouldn't have anything to do with the Korean manhua of the same name released in the late 90s/early 00s about a wealthy businessman's daughter who visits Seoul and promptly gets attacked by sex demons and eventually finds herself drawn into an international terrorist plot involving the restless souls and vengeful skulls of Korean WWII POWs experimented on by Imperial Japan, would it?

29 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

...this wouldn't have anything to do with the Korean manhua of the same name released in the late 90s/early 00s about a wealthy businessman's daughter who visits Seoul and promptly gets attacked by sex demons and eventually finds herself drawn into an international terrorist plot involving the restless souls and vengeful skulls of Korean WWII POWs experimented on by Imperial Japan, would it?

I have no idea what your are referring to.,

4 minutes ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I have no idea what your are referring to.,

:lol: I figured as much. Island the manhua was one of the better reads to presage/come out during the early days of Korea's "EDGE! EDGE! EDGE!" era of comics, ie when they sought to differentiate themselves from Japanese comics by way of an emphasis on detailed artwork and "serious" subject matter.

510.jpg

6 hours ago, Marzan said:

This baby is in the house and I slowly have to go though all 4000 minutes of it 

5881FCB0-DAE1-4120-98BC-1A3088D275B7.jpeg

Watched thru the movies this weekend so I've seen all of it to date. Golden Wings is a bit jarring since the story/designs are based on the manga.

Also what number did you get?

Also watched the Delta movie this weekend since it arrived. Not bad, better then the series and I started a watch of Monogatari.

Edited by Focslain

On 9/10/2018 at 4:56 PM, Focslain said:

Watched thru the movies this weekend so I've seen all of it to date. Golden Wings is a bit jarring since the story/designs are based on the manga.

Also what number did you get?

Also watched the Delta movie this weekend since it arrived. Not bad, better then the series and I started a watch of Monogatari.

I think I got number 118.

Im a bit miffed at 2 things. The first is that it’s hardsubbed. I know that I wouldn’t watch without subs and there being no sub it makes sense but it just feels cheap for some reason.

Secondly, the first film at least received no kind of remastering/ upgrade for the BD’s. I feel I’m watching an old laserdisc. I hope they did a better job with the ova series.

6 hours ago, Marzan said:

I think I got number 118.

Im a bit miffed at 2 things. The first is that it’s hardsubbed. I know that I wouldn’t watch without subs and there being no sub it makes sense but it just feels cheap for some reason.

Secondly, the first film at least received no kind of remastering/ upgrade for the BD’s. I feel I’m watching an old laserdisc. I hope they did a better job with the ova series.

I got 222, good luck on the ovas, I doubt they did a remaster though.