What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Yeah, Made in Abyss and Princess Principal are easily the top of the lot this season. The rest are all pretty flawed.

I always need to balance my watching with some old school stuff. After watching They Were 11 (fantastic stuff), I'm doing a rewatch of Nadia of Blue Water, but now in glorious BD quality! What a beautiful show this was.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.crunchyroll.com/interviews-with-monster-girls/episode-13-the-demi-chans-summer-break-740201

Watched a special thirteenth episode of Interviews With Monster Girls. There's your typical summer break episode livery - girls in yukatas, fireworks festivals, etc. I had hoped for a bit more progress in characters' stories, but the standalone goings-on was fun nonetheless. The ghost hunt section was hilarious and put the unique traits of the world to creative use. Stay for the post-credits tease, too. That was all sorts of awkwardly funny.

Just finished watching Gundam Unicorn OVA. Also Watched Arpeggio of Blue Steel. Both were a ton of fun. I also watched Some of Gundam MS IgLoo and it was meh, though IgLoo2: Gravity Front was good, and really conveyed a sense of dread.

Also, REDLINE is fantastic, and totally worth it. It tapers off after the first 10-15 minutes or so, but it starts back up again at the last 30-45 minutes, there is some action going on but the main attraction is in those two segments.

Redline is great, every now and then I'll just feel the urge to watch that opening race because there's nothing else like it. I keep hearing it was a financial failure, I don't see how it could be unless it got some terrible marketing or maybe Japan just doesn't like nice things?

23 minutes ago, dizman said:

Redline is great, every now and then I'll just feel the urge to watch that opening race because there's nothing else like it. I keep hearing it was a financial failure, I don't see how it could be unless it got some terrible marketing or maybe Japan just doesn't like nice things?

Japan likes Moe blobs, harem shows featuring dudes who are obviously in the closet, repetitive 500 episode "AS SEEN IN SHONEN JUMP!" crap, and ultra violent shows with lots of gore or naked giants missing their private parts. Hell even the old staples of mecha and fanservice genres don't move the audiences attention meter anymore.

Edited by renegadeleader1

I just finished watching In This Corner Of The World by Sunao Katabuchi, and by god it was excellent. I can see why it was receiving so much praise. There's just such a fine eye for detail in that movie, and the melancholic soundtrack really gives it a nostalgic feeling (also helped by the gorgeous art style). Outside of Taisho Yakyuu Musume, there aren't a whole lot of anime that give such an excellent portrayal of pre-war Japan, so I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who's interested in that era.

That said, it did drag a little bit in the middle.

9 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Japan likes Moe blobs, harem shows featuring dudes who are obviously in the closet, repetitive 500 episode "AS SEEN IN SHONEN JUMP!" crap, and ultra violent shows with lots of gore or naked giants missing their private parts. Hell even the old staples of mecha and fanservice genres don't move the audiences attention meter anymore.

As long as they keep making Mecha Anime they can have the Moe Blobs and Harems and whatnot. 

Oh look another new age mystical obscure environmental message spewing thing from a guy that really just stick to designing valkyries. I wonder if obnoxious orgasmic transforming preteen idol singers will be in this one?

Honestly with all sarcasm aside 90% of what Shoji Kawamori produces outside of Macross ends up being a slog to get through and afterwards I'm left with a hollow "that really wasn't worth it and a waste of my time" feeling.

I don't know much of his work outside Macross. I know he created Escaflowne and Arjuna, the former being awesome and the latter being unmemorable. That's hardly a 10:90 ratio there, but what else has he done? Oh, and mecha designs for... whatever that flying surfboard mecha anime was... but he didn't have input on the story there, or did he?

EDIT:

Anyway, the poster's looking pretty neat. I'm getting hints of Hong Kong meets Xenoblade Chronicles.

Edited by kajnrig

On 9/27/2017 at 7:25 AM, renegadeleader1 said:

Oh look another new age mystical obscure environmental message spewing thing from a guy that really just stick to designing valkyries. I wonder if obnoxious orgasmic transforming preteen idol singers will be in this one?

Honestly with all sarcasm aside 90% of what Shoji Kawamori produces outside of Macross ends up being a slog to get through and afterwards I'm left with a hollow "that really wasn't worth it and a waste of my time" feeling.

He hasn't done anything really good outside Macross since Escaflowne. Aquarion EVOL was tons of fun in a campy sort of way, but that's about it. Satelight in general doesn't really hire good screenwriters. They're more about visuals in my opinion.

11 hours ago, JB0 said:

A. Your Name wasn't exactly the most explode-y show, was it? What is Abrams here for?

B. This is the rare occasion where "What Would Kuroko Do?" doesn't lead you criminally astray.

You can bet Abrams is going to blow half of the budget on

the meteor falling on earth

and damn be the rest.

This is going to blow big time.

14 hours ago, JB0 said:

A. Your Name wasn't exactly the most explode-y show, was it? What is Abrams here for?

B. This is the rare occasion where "What Would Kuroko Do?" doesn't lead you criminally astray.

A. I agree this just sounds like a bad idea

B. I agree with Kuroko.  But I prefer Judgement Desu No.

Finished Little Witch Academia and I was very satisfied by the end.

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

On 9/27/2017 at 1:25 AM, renegadeleader1 said:

4 hours ago, Marzan said:

He hasn't done anything really good outside Macross since Escaflowne. Aquarion EVOL was tons of fun in a campy sort of way, but that's about it. Satelight in general doesn't really hire good screenwriters. They're more about visuals in my opinion.

As far as Kawamori outliers go, I really liked Earth Maiden Arjuna and Escaflowne. I couldn't get into Aquarion, although I did try it for a few episodes.

Man, I wish we had Arjuna on blu-ray...

3 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Finished Little Witch Academia and I was very satisfied by the end.

Oh man, I keep telling myself to watch LWA. Didn't it start out as a Youtube animation? Do you know how to get those original videos, or is the Netflix show the only thing out right now?

2 hours ago, technoblue said:

As far as Kawamori outliers go, I really liked Earth Maiden Arjuna and Escaflowne. I couldn't get into Aquarion, although I did try it for a few episodes.

Man, I wish we had Arjuna on blu-ray...

You're the first person I've seen say they actively enjoyed Arjuna. Everyone else has ranged from "What's that?" to "It's alright..." I remember watching it back in the day and the climate change monsters were really cool, but that I didn't enjoy it because the conflict wasn't straight forward enough. Maybe watching it again would make for a more positive impression.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

You're the first person I've seen say they actively enjoyed Arjuna. Everyone else has ranged from "What's that?" to "It's alright..." I remember watching it back in the day and the climate change monsters were really cool, but that I didn't enjoy it because the conflict wasn't straight forward enough. Maybe watching it again would make for a more positive impression.

Yeah, it was a fun show, and a nice interpretation of the old Hindu myth IMO. The added climate change sermons didn't bother me, and didn't seem out of place given the context of the story. 

I also liked AKB0048. Related to which, I thought it was odd that Macross Delta went full idol troupe after they finished AKB, but it's all water under the bridge now.

18 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I think Arjuna is one of Kawamori's best work as a director.