What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Just now, Gerli said:

Adding Loli characters and mascots? No wait, maybe one day Yang Wenli wakes up inside a videogame and (wait for it) can die IRL if die inside the videogame!

OHMYGOD NO!

I think they're going to crank the bishounen angle to 11 in order to appeal to the fujoshi audience. I don't rule out that they would change the gender of a couple of characters too.

21 minutes ago, Marzan said:

I think they're going to crank the bishounen angle to 11 in order to appeal to the fujoshi audience. I don't rule out that they would change the gender of a couple of characters too.

The bar is already set too high...

dfgdfg.jpg

20 hours ago, Marzan said:

The LOGH remake worries me the most. How in the name of all that is holy do you top the masterpiece that Noboru Ishiguro created?

the only real answer is make it less "exposition-y"....

If one can figure out a way of even trying that and getting ~1/3 of the story, characters, details, world-building/history into the same amount of story-telling time... I wish them luck!

On 8/19/2017 at 4:00 PM, Marzan said:

There's a lot of fear from anime production committee's in messing up. That's why the majority of stuff is adaptations of manga or light novels, making sure there's an audience already out there for the product. Remakes have the same effect.

The LOGH remake worries me the most. How in the name of all that is holy do you top the masterpiece that Noboru Ishiguro created?

Oh gosh I didn't know LOGH was being remade. That is worrisome. 

Maybe if they just did a shot for shot remake with updated animation. The only weak part of that series was the earth cult IMO. 

9 minutes ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

Maybe if they just did a shot for shot remake with updated animation. The only weak part of that series was the earth cult IMO. 

Space ISIS could be an interesting Topic (?)

Remaking LoGH is going to be no easy task, especially if they hope to somehow improve on the original. I've been reading the novels as they become available and the OVA series did an amazing job of adapting them faithfully. It tells the story almost precisely as written and looks fantastic doing so. I hope this doesn't become another Heroic Legend of Arslan; there's no way to improve on the adaptation of the source material (as far as I can tell) in this case but the production itself could suffer due to more modern trends in animation styling and cost-saving measures. The LoGH OVA was detailed and beautiful, I worry for what the reliance on questionable CGI nowadays is going to do for the remake.

30 minutes ago, Brand said:

Remaking LoGH is going to be no easy task, especially if they hope to somehow improve on the original. I've been reading the novels as they become available and the OVA series did an amazing job of adapting them faithfully. It tells the story almost precisely as written and looks fantastic doing so. I hope this doesn't become another Heroic Legend of Arslan; there's no way to improve on the adaptation of the source material (as far as I can tell) in this case but the production itself could suffer due to more modern trends in animation styling and cost-saving measures. The LoGH OVA was detailed and beautiful, I worry for what the reliance on questionable CGI nowadays is going to do for the remake.

Doing this in the modern cgi style is a double edge sword. On one hand the space battles are going to be beautiful, on the other the character designs can bottom out. Mixing the two could work as long as you only use CGI for space and drawn for character scenes.

Kind of like what they did for Yamato 2199

6 hours ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

Yeah, if I had to be critical, they could be handled better. Too much darkness for a story that's all about different shades of grey.

The OST will never be topped. The way LOGH used classical music was amazing.

Finally got my BD from having backed the Animeigo Kickstarter for  Riding Bean. Kickass stuff! Fantastic old school detailed animation by Sonoda-san, cheesy 80's soundtrack and random nudity and ultra violence. Oh and the MC is alpha as hell. They don't make them like this anymore for sure.

On 8/1/2017 at 8:49 AM, hachi said:

On my 3rd try of watching Gundam Unicorn. I just got past episode 2. I'm skipping Zeta and the rest because I do not have the patience to watch them.

Third time was the charm for me, too. I still didn't like it, but it was tolerable. Gundam's just not for me.

On 8/14/2017 at 9:31 PM, 505thAirborne said:

Finally finished my re-watch of Nadia Secret of Blue Water, Overall it was great to watch it again! Then I watched the movie... that was disappointing. 

The fan service between Nadia & Jean was classic! :D

YOOOOOOO Nadia was such good anime. And they didn't have to creepily ogle the young child characters, either!

EDIT:

Any new word on the Full Metal Panic season? Last I heard was that it was being delayed to early 2018...

Edited by kajnrig

4 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Third time was the charm for me, too. I still didn't like it, but it was tolerable. Gundam's just not for me.

I'm not the biggest fan of Unicorn either, sure the action stuff is fun and well done but the story is a bit weak and the main character is boring. I'm glad it brought us so many cool designs and updated some old ones though. 

8 hours ago, Marzan said:

Finally got my BD from having backed the Animeigo Kickstarter for  Riding Bean. Kickass stuff! Fantastic old school detailed animation by Sonoda-san, cheesy 80's soundtrack and random nudity and ultra violence. Oh and the MC is alpha as hell. They don't make them like this anymore for sure.

I wonder what'll be the next AnimEigo Kickstarter project.

I'd like to see them do another old school OAV.

1 hour ago, Vifam7 said:

I wonder what'll be the next AnimEigo Kickstarter project.

I'd like to see them do another old school OAV.

Redo Bubblegum Crisis the right way like they did Riding Bean. It is the anniversary of Bubblegum Crisis. If they don't do it, I guess someone else will.

6 hours ago, JetJockey said:

Redo Bubblegum Crisis the right way like they did Riding Bean. It is the anniversary of Bubblegum Crisis. If they don't do it, I guess someone else will.

A Bubblegum Crisis Ultimate Edition Blu-ray release was the first of AnimEigo's Kickstarter remastering projects a couple of years ago, actually.

6 hours ago, JetJockey said:

I would rather see something new, even though the BGC Kickstarter taught Robert Woodhead a few things about planning and perks. I'm quite happy with how the blu-rays turned out.

On 8/24/2017 at 7:44 AM, technoblue said:

I would rather see something new, even though the BGC Kickstarter taught Robert Woodhead a few things about planning and perks. I'm quite happy with how the blu-rays turned out.

So am I.  Got the Riding Bean KS Bluray last week, just waiting for the Buff model to show.  

I think Madox was supposed to be his next KS project.  Too lazy to read back through the comments on KS.

22 hours ago, Major Focker said:

princess principal.

wow.

i did not expect that. 

hooked me on the first ep.

will be watching.

Quite an enjoyable series.  Was the biggest surprise for me this season after Made in Abyss which is AOS together with Owarimonogatari.

AOS?

only managed 4 eps so far. of all the time to be busy..

anyway, i'm giddy with the thought that if i strip out the moe elements, this might be the Noir spiritual sequel i've been jonesing for years.

the music certainly sounds similar, and at times the setting also reminds me of Gosick, another favorite of mine.

On 8/29/2017 at 2:37 PM, chyll2 said:

just got curious, what is AOS?

Yes, indeed "anime of the season". Sorry, I spend too much time on anime forums it seems:lol:

Got my hands on an old, old classic, They Were 11. Haven't seen it in over 20 years so I cannot remember a thing other that it was real good (then). Looking forward to it.

On 8/24/2017 at 6:43 AM, Brand said:

A Bubblegum Crisis Ultimate Edition Blu-ray release was the first of AnimEigo's Kickstarter remastering projects a couple of years ago, actually.

I know. That's why I said "redo" as it was far from an "Ultimate Edition."

On 8/24/2017 at 6:44 AM, technoblue said:

I've said it before but I hate how companies go to Kickstarter now to pass risk to consumers. If he wanted to do a test he should have done surveys or something. Not test out on Bubblegum Crisis then make something better for another anime. The Riding Bean package is what we should have received for Bubblegum Crisis. Remember there were things he didn't even consider for Bubblegum Crisis. He immediately considered them too expensive before even collecting money.