What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

17 minutes ago, Big s said:

I haven't seen the Cobra films, but loved the show. I'll have to get them.

I recently finished watching all of the 1980's TV series and the 2008-2010 OAV/TV series. They were all fantastic. Highly recommended.

Neat monster girl anime Interviews with Monster Girls ended this weekend with a decent 12-episode run. While I really liked it, the final two episodes fell victim to the anime trope of The Heartfelt Narration, where the protagonists espouseĀ about all the things they've learned and what they're grateful for and so on. There's a long stretch in the second-to-last episode where it's just three girls talking to the camera one after the other, and the animators did what they could with what they had, but you could tell they were running out of steam.

And final episode is the "beach" episode, because of course there has to be one. To its credit, the show subverts the trope as much as it can - it takes place in the school pool, for one - and spends no time at all creepily sexualizing the underage cast; in fact, there's a good amount of focusĀ on the attraction between the two adults. A+ for not being Creepy Anime Bullshit.

On 20/03/2017 at 8:14 PM, Vifam7 said:

I recently finished watching all of the 1980's TV series and the 2008-2010 OAV/TV series. They were all fantastic. Highly recommended.

Going through the TV series right now. Highly enjoyable. Leading men like Cobra would never make the cut in the current anime market though.

3 minutes ago, Marzan said:

Going through the TV series right now. Highly enjoyable. Leading men like Cobra would never make the cut in the current anime market though.

After watching so many modern animes with teenage boys, it was refreshing to see a manly man like Cobra be the leading character.

Love the women in Cobra too. All of them sexy bikini clad women. No such thing as lolis in the world of Cobra. ^_^

Ā 

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from seeing my first anime in theaters, Your Name. It's always hard for me to recommend Makoto Shinkai's works, because he's never really mastered storytelling the way other anime directors have (Satoshi Kon, Miyazaki, etc.), but he's also a wholly different breed from them, and the same can be said of his films. I'm always drawn to his movies, even though or maybe because they focus on themes of life and living that I don't normally search for.

If you watch his 5-minute short film "She and Her Cat" and enjoy it, you'll probably enjoy a lot of his other stuff as well. Link to an actually not half-bad English fandub:

CnPing from my Facebook post.

Makoto Shinkai's movies aren't perfect by any means, but one of his greatest strengths, and the idea he comes back to again and again, is human complexity. His stories don't have happy endings, at least not in a straight-forward way. They're always muddy, always tinged with regret for how things could have been and world-weary hope for how things could be. They end right at the cusp of what might be the beginning of a happy ending, because they know life isn't so simple, for these characters or for you.

Which is all to say that I came out of watching Your Name with a renewed zest for life, and I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. Cheers.

Just finished up winter season, the three that stood out for me were

Ā 

Gabriel Dropout

Konosuba season 2 (but i already knew it was going to be good since season 1 was amazing)

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (show 100% grew on me and now im really sad its done)

Ā 

This season im watching frame arm girls, which is pretty amusing if you can look past the obviously fanservicy bitsĀ 

Just rewatched ye olde Armitage III, for the first time in years and years.

Still quite enjoyable, though I caught myself repeatedly asking one question that I never really considered in my younger days: How is our heroine getting away with wearing a bra and hot pants as a police uniform?

I just go done withĀ Re:Zero Starting Life in Another World last night. Ā I have to say I quite enjoyed that roller coaster ride. Ā I liked how all the charterers seemed to grow and react to the events. Ā I recommend it to people who like fantasy anime, Ā something I normally don't care for I like robots too much. :)

So almost finished watching all of Legend of the Galactic Heroes (OVAs, series, movies) and was wondering if anyone can suggest a few animes in the same vein as LoGH. New or old, doesn't matter.

I need more space operas in my life.

Focslain: The obvious answer would be Tytania - it's made by the same studio as LoGH and based on books by the same author. Sadly, the books were never finished and thus the series is full of fillers and ends on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved. If you can lower your expectations, I'd say it's still worth a watch.

20 hours ago, Lorindor said:

Focslain: The obvious answer would be Tytania - it's made by the same studio as LoGH and based on books by the same author. Sadly, the books were never finished and thus the series is full of fillers and ends on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved. If you can lower your expectations, I'd say it's still worth a watch.

Found it, only 26 eps, so good for a weekend or so.

19 hours ago, kajnrig said:

It hardly fits, but the term "space opera" made me immediately think of Lost Universe. (And Macross, of course.) Think Slayers but in space.

I have that series, from memory it was Slayers in spaaaaaace.

Thank you guys for a few to watch. Might dig out LU for background while cleaning. Too few dubs for that type of work.

I would also recommend Terra e (aka Toward the Terra). It's not really so much like LoGH (it's more like X-men in space with a good touch of classic dystopies), but it's very good. See the series before the old movie (which is the same story, just condensed and with outdated animation).

My daughter recently asked me to sit down and watch "The Wind Rises" with her. Ā The first ten minutes were/are a little childish; though that is the exact vibe the film is shooting for at that point. Ā Long story short; this is the story of Jiro Horikoshi and theĀ development of the Mitsubishi A5M and A6M Zero.Ā  Found it very intriguing from the historical perspective and getting a view of what Pre-WW2 Japan was like; theĀ average person'sĀ view of the government at the time. Ā Sorry but no, "Tora, Tora, Tora!" but there are explosions.Ā 

Ā 

Currently switching between late night runs on the Wangan (Midnight Wangan) and Togue in the mountains (Initial D).

12 hours ago, Wolf-1 said:

My daughter recently asked me to sit down and watch "The Wind Rises" with her. Ā The first ten minutes were/are a little childish; though that is the exact vibe the film is shooting for at that point. Ā Long story short; this is the story of Jiro Horikoshi and theĀ development of the Mitsubishi A5M and A6M Zero.Ā  Found it very intriguing from the historical perspective and getting a view of what Pre-WW2 Japan was like; theĀ average person'sĀ view of the government at the time. Ā Sorry but no, "Tora, Tora, Tora!" but there are explosions.Ā 

Ā 

Currently switching between late night runs on the Wangan (Midnight Wangan) and Togue in the mountains (Initial D).

I'll have to watch that one! Ā 

This isĀ  a pretty eventful anime season. Great if you're into fantasy stuff. We have Attack on Titan II (right were we left off)

Berserk (still the same crummy 3D but they are at least respecting the story)

Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul (love it. I wish, wish that MAPPA had gotten to adapt Berserk. The animation and art are sooo good).

Let's add to that Kado and Re:Creators and one is really spoilt for choice.

I am pretty please with this season. Aside from what Marzan mentioned, I am watching

Ā 

Atom - the Beginning, which looks promising at first but is turning out an OKAY-ish show. Will stay and check if it will turn out better.

Danmachi Sword Oratoria - sigh, I actually want a season 2 of the danmachi. This is a spin-off and will just check if I will see new information about the universe on the later part.

Boku no Hero Academia - was really excited for this one but the series continued the problem with the Anime which is the pacing. It feels really really slow for me. Reading the manga does not make me feel that there are pacing problems.

Ā 

About Season 2 of Attack on Titan, it is actually refreshing to see and remember parts that I already forgot from reading the Manga. I am actually impressed on how Hajime Isayama writes the story. There are actually cues/hints on how characters reacts in relation to future events/spoilers which at the time reading the manga, will just make you think that it is a minor or not-critical to the story.

Ā 

Ā 

10 hours ago, chyll2 said:

I am pretty please with this season. Aside from what Marzan mentioned, I am watching

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

About Season 2 of Attack on Titan, it is actually refreshing to see and remember parts that I already forgot from reading the Manga. I am actually impressed on how Hajime Isayama writes the story. There are actually cues/hints on how characters reacts in relation to future events/spoilers which at the time reading the manga, will just make you think that it is a minor or not-critical to the story.

Ā 

Ā 

Agree. He really seems to have had a plan all along and wasn't making stuff up as he went along (which I cannot say for a lot of manga).

Just came out on cinemas here, I need to check it out. I like SHinkai, I've seen his stuff from long ago, but I'm worried about the massive hype this film has gotten. It will be hard to live up to it IMO.

Yeah, it's best not to look into the hype and just go with how you feel about his prior movies. I love love love his shorter stories more than his feature length films, and this one definitely carries some of the same flaws as his other features, but it's still really really good.

Currently watching Cyborg 009: Call of Justice on Netflix.Ā  I'm a long time fan of the Cyborg 009 franchise, so I had to check it out. This feels like a rehash of some of the themes in the 1979 series as well as Re: Cyborg.Ā  Though so far, it's looking better (storywise) than Re: Cyborg.

Don't really like the RWBY-like CGI animation though.

I've had Last Exile sitting on my shelf and finally getting around to watching it. Really liking it too. Bones went all out with this. The early 2000's get a lot of stick from modern anime watchers, but I really miss the ambition some of those shows had in the day.