What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

1 hour ago, Marzan said:

Reading this makes me not want to ever see it. I want to forevermore remember Priss singing the opening of Bubblegum Crisis.

Don't do it! I can no longer unsee what I've seen with 2040. The few songs in 2040 are pretty damn bad. 

On to another Anime series!! 

I must have seen a different Bubblegum Crisis 2040 than everyone else. I would classify it as a middling story, like Bubblegum Crash, but not in any way close to tear-out-my-eyes horrible. And I think that is what saddens me the most about it (some uninspired artwork here, phoned-in performances there). I was hoping to get something just as memorable as the original OVA, but it just couldn't reach that level of greatness.

Comparing it to other in-universe shows, I think Parasite Dolls was worse and A.D. Police was better.

Watching the second season of Rakugo, Masamune-Kun and IBO.

On another note, I had totally missed the fact that they are continuing with the Full Metal Panic story with a new anime series! Talk about a blast from the past! Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory it's called.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2017-01-19/full-metal-panic-invisible-victory-tv-anime-reveals-full-title/.111229

Oh, cool! Last I'd heard, it sounded like they were restarting from book 1 of FMP, but this sure looks like a continuation. Signed on a bunch of staff from the prior serieses, which makes me doubt it is coincidence that Invisible Victory abbreviates to IV.

On 21/01/2017 at 7:59 AM, JB0 said:

Oh, cool! Last I'd heard, it sounded like they were restarting from book 1 of FMP, but this sure looks like a continuation. Signed on a bunch of staff from the prior serieses, which makes me doubt it is coincidence that Invisible Victory abbreviates to IV.

I wonder how they are going to go through with it. The novels get pretty dark and loose a lot of the humor that FMP had at the beginning. They might have to change things around a bit in order to sell it in 2017.

13 hours ago, Vepariga said:

I recently marathoned all Strike Witches,the OVAS,the movie and all Brave Witches series. Loved it.

I'm now watching Youjo Senki - Tanya the Terrible. Very good.

Watching it too know. Lots of fun. For once a series has actually a good excuse for having a loli acting like an adult.

17 hours ago, Marzan said:

I wonder how they are going to go through with it. The novels get pretty dark and lose a lot of the humor that FMP had at the beginning. They might have to change things around a bit in order to sell it in 2017.

Yeah, that was a big problem even with The Second Raid. It was depressing as heck, and the cliffhanger ending didn't help matters.

Picked up from a pile of DVD's my bro had something called Plastic Little. Nothing made much sense and the title has no bearing whatsoever with the story. What is does have is a lot of random topless nudity and ADV went so far as to have a "jiggle counter" (granted Satoshi Urushihara does draw and animate racks better than anyone in the business). LOL. Definitely entered the so bad it's good category.

On 1/25/2017 at 1:52 PM, Marzan said:

Picked up from a pile of DVD's my bro had something called Plastic Little. Nothing made much sense and the title has no bearing whatsoever with the story. What is does have is a lot of random topless nudity and ADV went so far as to have a "jiggle counter" (granted Satoshi Urushihara does draw and animate racks better than anyone in the business). LOL. Definitely entered the so bad it's good category.

Back when it was originally released, the fan name for that was Plastic Nipple!

On 1/27/2017 at 5:45 PM, renegadeleader1 said:

Plastic Little is one of my mainstays for the ecchi and fanservice anime panel I run at conventions along with others like Golden Boy, Agent Aika, Najica, and Cutey Honey. :)

Funny, I was just watching Aika. It is a notably solid show for something sold on its pantyshots per minute ratio.

On 27/01/2017 at 7:52 PM, Beltane70 said:

Back when it was originally released, the fan name for that was Plastic Nipple!

I can definitely see why!

Checking out the second cour of Ajin. Once you get past the lousy CGI animation, its a pretty darned good series.

On 30/01/2017 at 2:01 AM, technoblue said:

The new Ajin episodes have done a great job building on the momentum from the first cour. Is there any news on how far they plan to take the story?

I have not read the manga so I don't know how it's going there. I've just finished the second season and as far as I can tell

they are still going to continue the story either as an OVA or TV series

since Sato lives and has escaped the US forces that had captured him and the gang is getting back together to go after him

1 hour ago, Marzan said:

I have not read the manga so I don't know how it's going there. I've just finished the second season and as far as I can tell

Reveal hidden contents

they are still going to continue the story either as an OVA or TV series

Reveal hidden contents

since Sato lives and has escaped the US forces that had captured him and the gang is getting back together to go after him

Right. Some doors were left wide open after the last episode. I was wondering if the team was already planning ahead for the next part.

Ajin is right up their with Flip Flappers as one of the most entertaining series I've seen in a while, although the two shows are polar opposites. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Konosuba! Season 2 is even funnier than the first season. This is one of the super-rare series that I count down the hours to the next episode.

Masamune-kun's Revenge is not nearly as engaging, but it's still somewhat entertaining. Not necessarily worth a recommendation, though.

I binged Maoyu last weekend, and it was an interesting story, albeit irritating in one major way: The two main characters barely had any screentime together after the first couple of episodes. Good God, it was a great setup from the first episode and then it barely got any farther than that. I haven't seen Spice and Wolf yet, but I know the story well and I was getting the same feeling from Maoyu... a lot of dialogue and story was spent explaining economics and politics, which kept me pretty interested. I'm sure I'll enjoy S&W whenever I get around to watching it. This show could use a second season, but I kind of doubt it will ever happen...  :\

17 hours ago, frothymug said:

Konosuba! Season 2 is even funnier than the first season. This is one of the super-rare series that I count down the hours to the next episode.

Masamune-kun's Revenge is not nearly as engaging, but it's still somewhat entertaining. Not necessarily worth a recommendation, though.

I binged Maoyu last weekend, and it was an interesting story, albeit irritating in one major way: The two main characters barely had any screentime together after the first couple of episodes. Good God, it was a great setup from the first episode and then it barely got any farther than that. I haven't seen Spice and Wolf yet, but I know the story well and I was getting the same feeling from Maoyu... a lot of dialogue and story was spent explaining economics and politics, which kept me pretty interested. I'm sure I'll enjoy S&W whenever I get around to watching it. This show could use a second season, but I kind of doubt it will ever happen...  :\

I think Maoyu simply didn't have the necessary sales to allow it to have the second season (which as far as I can remember was actually planned at one point). A shame really since it had a decent premise and engaging characters.

21 hours ago, dizman said:

I just finished rewatching Evangelion. It's probably been more than 10 years since I last watched, all I can say is congratulations! Now I guess I'll head down the road to End of Evangelion.

Still find it hard to believe that such a seminal series still doesn't have a proper BD release in the West. It's a pity that 3 of the most classic sci-fi anime ever made (Macross, Yamato and Evanglion) are caught up in some sort of bad licensing or rights ownership hell.

19 hours ago, Marzan said:

Still find it hard to believe that such a seminal series still doesn't have a proper BD release in the West. It's a pity that 3 of the most classic sci-fi anime ever made (Macross, Yamato and Evanglion) are caught up in some sort of bad licensing or rights ownership hell.

Hah yeah, ignorance and greed always go well with copyright and ownership laws :lol:.

15 hours ago, dizman said:

Hah yeah, ignorance and greed always go well with copyright and ownership laws :lol:.

All of them were licensed at a time when their long-term value was dubious at best.

Yamato and Macross were licensed before home video was really a thing, so they were expected to have short lives regardless, and the licenses were made fairly simply because of it. (See also: Tetsuwan Atom/Astro Boy, Tetsujin 28/Gigantor. And for something less influential, Mach Go Go Go/Speed Racer. The real surprise here is actually that Mazinger Z DIDN'T get trapped in licensing hell after Tranzor Z happened.)

Only excuse with Evangelion is that no one had any way of knowing it was gonna be a huge iconic thing instead of just another show, or that the US anime market was about to blow wide open. That license rapidly got a LOT more valuable than anyone on either side of it expected.

On 1/9/2017 at 8:56 PM, arbit said:

As i recall, 2040 really picks up mid-way through. Solid anime, but not classic BGC.

I actually think its the reverse. Starts out ok then goes to crap mid way through in both story and animation quality. And those new hard suit designs are a crime against humanity.

My group just finished Erased, was a good series. We might hit up Iron Blood Orphan next.

Personally watching Konosuba (season 2) and Miss Kayabushi's Dragon Maid, debating on either hitting the Legend of the Galaltic Heros OVAs or rewatching Macross 7 for late night binging.

Edited by Focslain

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

I actually think its the reverse. Starts out ok then goes to crap mid way through in both story and animation quality. And those new hard suit designs are a crime against humanity.

I have to strongly agree with this. By the time the Galatea, and the liquid suits are introduced on top everthing going Night of the Living Boomers the show had completely gone off the rails.

Still its not the worst mecha show out there, even if it is a sub par reboot of a classic.

S