What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is really impressive. I'm only eight episodes in, but it's got me very invested in the story. You can tell it has that novel style, as the series is an adaptation of a novel series. Some episodes are pure exposition and character development, but are just as entertaining as the space combat episodes.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is really impressive. I'm only eight episodes in, but it's got me very invested in the story. You can tell it has that novel style, as the series is an adaptation of a novel series. Some episodes are pure exposition and character development, but are just as entertaining as the space combat episodes.

I just started my own re-watch of Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Watching the show, and it being so good even when it's 100% exposition, really makes me want to read the books it's based on.

It only gets better. Enjoy the watch! thinking of doing a rewatch myself at some point in the fall.

Started watching Tekkaman Blade. Been told it's decent enough. First episode was ok, reminded me of Votoms for some reason.

I just started my own re-watch of Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Watching the show, and it being so good even when it's 100% exposition, really makes me want to read the books it's based on.

They are being translated to English and are available as amazon kindle books. I read the first one and was not impressed enough to buy the second. Far too many egotistical stupid characters (pretty much written as egotistical and stupid) for me to continue with. Dialog that goes something along the lines of

Character A "we will do X and annihilate the enemy!"

Character B "The enemy will do Y and annihilate us..."

Character A "They would not DARE to do such a thing!"

And of course the enemy does Y...

They are being translated to English and are available as amazon kindle books. I read the first one and was not impressed enough to buy the second. Far too many egotistical stupid characters (pretty much written as egotistical and stupid) for me to continue with. Dialog that goes something along the lines of

Character A "we will do X and annihilate the enemy!"

Character B "The enemy will do Y and annihilate us..."

Character A "They would not DARE to do such a thing!"

And of course the enemy does Y...

... that's too bad.

ah well, I'll just keep loving the anime then.

• 3 weeks later...

So far the summer season has had it's hits and misses. But do yourselves a favour and check out 91 Days. It's not everyday you get an anime about the mafia with such a great looking art and music.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched this recently, anyone know if it's part of a series?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=AjXr9Nj5ZbI

Nope. It's a short by an extremely talented Polish animator called Damian Nenow. I was fortunate enough to see this on the big screen in a double whammy with Redline (every bit of animation I saw for weeks after that looked terrible in comparison :D )

His latest work is a film called Another Day of Life (half documentary, half animation), which should come out soon. Check out the trailer.

I just watched Under The Dog which I had backed in Kickstarter. Very pleased. Not the most original story out there, but if you like a no nonsense 90's style action- with a sci fi feel, it will be right down your alley.

I hope someone backs the OVA so a series gets done.

Oh, good. I haven't had a chance to sit down with my copy yet, but I was kinda worried. Glad to know it came through all right.

We got some slight changes to the promised storyline but otherwise it delivered (at least what I expected). I think they oversold their Kickstarter with the whole "We're gonna save anime" slogan, but I suppose you need to exaggerate in these matters.

I hope some production committee likes this OVA enough to make a couple of films or a TV series out of it, but to be honest I won't hold my breath.

• 3 weeks later...

We got some slight changes to the promised storyline but otherwise it delivered (at least what I expected). I think they oversold their Kickstarter with the whole "We're gonna save anime" slogan, but I suppose you need to exaggerate in these matters.

I hope some production committee likes this OVA enough to make a couple of films or a TV series out of it, but to be honest I won't hold my breath.

Yeah, I sat down and watched it, and it could really use some follow-up material.

Finished watching Tekkaman Blade (took me a long time too.) The series could have been done in 26 episodes instead of 49 and would have been better for it. But enjoyable nevertheless.

Gonna rewatch Gurren Lagann now. Too long since I last watched it.

I really love tekkaman blade. That's one of my favorites of the 90's.

Anyway if you think that was tough to get through, I just finished the old Fist of the North Star. There are so many recap episodes I started fast forwarding them. At the episode in the high eighties there are five recap episodes in a row and then another couple a few episodes later. There is also a lot of fluff episodes and somewhere along the way the dog is never seen again. I don't think it died and maybe it was left at a village, but I must have not payed attention and just didn't notice or forgot until around episode 95 or so. I started Fist of the North Star 2 and am a few episodes into that and still no dog even though it would be older by that point.

Was tending to family for a few days in the hospital and decided to give the hot new Italian series a try, Kabaneri. Perhaps you've heard of it?

Anyways, I liked it. Perhaps even more than Attack in Titan. The visuals were gorgeous and I think the character development was less tedious in it's adherence to tropes than a bunch of stuff I've seen, specially AoT. Just wish there were more than 12 episodes, but I guess that's a good thing.

Finally finished off Fist of the North Star2 and never did see that dog again. With 1 and 2 together that makes 152 episodes and the recaps are in the double digits. Part way through the last season I realized that the creators of the show needed the recaps more than the viewer because they totally redid the back story and even forgot what color Toki's hair was when he was younger.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried watching Ninja Slayer and gave up after the first episode. The opening made the show look like it would have an interesting quick crazy anime style, then the first thing in the episode is a paper cut out look kinda like inferno cop. Inferno cop was better because it's so short it doesn't have time to get annoying, but ninja slayer felt like a big tease and a let down. If I knew what I was getting into I might have liked it better.

Anyway I was recently doing a trial for funimation channel and got a message that they are teaming up with crunchyroll and will reduce the cost of premium membership to $5.99. I guess the plan is to have subs on crunchyroll and dubs on funimation, but still have more newer content on both as well as exclusives for both.

watching Macross Frontier - first time - for some reason had never watched before. On episode 4 - love it - the action and characters are really great and sadly are (IMHO) making Delta look pretty poor....

I was quickly pulled into frontier. Delta on the other hand I quit watching after 13 episodes.

watching Macross Frontier - first time - for some reason had never watched before. On episode 4 - love it - the action and characters are really great and sadly are (IMHO) making Delta look pretty poor....

Oh wow. Have fun. You're not even into any of the good parts yet. It will of course have a few dips, like any series. But it gets SO good by the end.

PS--your opinions on Sheryl vs Ranka will change. Often. But that's good thing, it shows they're not cookie-cutter bland characters.

PPS---do not skip the after-credits scene of Episode 22.

Oh wow. Have fun. You're not even into any of the good parts yet. It will of course have a few dips, like any series. But it gets SO good by the end.

PS--your opinions on Sheryl vs Ranka will change. Often. But that's good thing, it shows they're not cookie-cutter bland characters.

PPS---do not skip the after-credits scene of Episode 22.

Yeah its friggin great - trying to do only a couple episodes a day - up thru ep10 now. Really no bad eps so far though one was pretty goofy. Sigh... will be hard on my pocketbook - never bought any of the merch for this since not seeing it but now want VF-25 kits etc.

Agreed. I feel like it's pretty superior.

I was quickly pulled into frontier. Delta on the other hand I quit watching after 13 episodes.

And I thought I was not being much of a fan. I'm up to ep, 17 and I have very little desire to finish the series. Such a massive disappointment. I hope it at least gets a good ending.

I want to ask you guys about High School DxD. I have been looking for a series that has good story and characters, but one of my caveats is that there is a good love interest for the main character. I read several reviews on this series and it looks like it has a lot of what I would like to see, but then I watch the first two episodes and the fan service is just out of control. I made the mistake of watching the Funimation dub for episode 1 and laughed so hard when they had to edit out the nudity... It was almost insulting at how badly they did it.

Anyway, does this BS finally get toned down? I get the impression that the story and characters are all worthwhile, but I don't want to keep watching if all of the female characters are ridiculously objectified and the show devolves into a typical harem anime.

If not, are there any suggestions for what I'm looking for? Here are things I like in an anime:

Non-retarded MC who actually behaves like a normal person.

Strong female co-lead who isn't just a pair of huge tits.

Light on anime tropes and/or heavily parodies anime tropes

Great supporting cast

Implied romantic involvement. I like to see the MC "get the girl", especially if she's exceptionally good-looking and deserves to win his affections.

Sci-fi, fantasy, supernatural, mecha elements

Some light ecchi is okay. Too much ruins the series.

I loved the characters and story of Campione!, so this is the kind of show I'm looking for. Aside from a very weird kissing scene late in the series, this show had a) strong MC who wasn't a complete dunce, b) strong, beautiful female co-lead, c) interesting story with lots of supernatural elements, d) didn't stoop to insult the intelligence of its viewers with nonsensical plot holes and twists.

Your help is greatly appreciated. :)

Edited by frothymug

If not, are there any suggestions for what I'm looking for? Here are things I like in an anime:

Non-retarded MC who actually behaves like a normal person.

Strong female co-lead who isn't just a pair of huge tits.

Light on anime tropes and/or heavily parodies anime tropes

Great supporting cast

Implied romantic involvement. I like to see the MC "get the girl", especially if she's exceptionally good-looking and deserves to win his affections.

Sci-fi, fantasy, supernatural, mecha elements

Some light ecchi is okay. Too much ruins the series.

I loved the characters and story of Campione!, so this is the kind of show I'm looking for. Aside from a very weird kissing scene late in the series, this show had a) strong MC who wasn't a complete dunce, b) strong, beautiful female co-lead, c) interesting story with lots of supernatural elements, d) didn't stoop to insult the intelligence of its viewers with nonsensical plot holes and twists.

Your help is greatly appreciated. :)

I recommend checking out Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- (Japanese: Re:ゼロから始める異世界生活 Hepburn: Ri:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu)

The beginning is a little slow, but stick with it, it will be worth it. the MC may whine a bit, but you would too if all these events happened to you.

Another decent one is "Erased", it has a sci-fi element to it and the MC is not an idiot.