What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Jojo's Bizarre Adventures Stardust Crusaders just finished the day before yesterday. What a fun ride it has been with that series. I'm hoping that they adapt more of the Jojo manga series.

Edited by Marzan

Latest episode of Sidonia S2 was the best episode this season and possibly the series as a whole.

The whole confrontation between Tsumgi and Benzi was fantastic. And blamo zombie Hoshijiro is back and she's not taking no for an answer. Poor Tsumgi is staked to the wall.

All of the amazing camera angles, direction, action and soundtrack blew me away. :hail: I need a season 3 announcement soon.

I just started Steins; Gate. I hope it's good!

Don't be discouraged by the slow start. Everything happens for a reason in SG (there's no filler) and then it will all click into place. And it will be very rewarding.

I've been watching the Puella Magi Madoka Magica movies this week, and just finished the third installment.

It was good, but I didn't really know how to respond to the ending. Half of me wanted to applaud, and the other half wanted to throw something at the television. It does succeed at being different, and making the viewer think. It is emotional (like Steins;Gate, another great anime that shares a certain plot aesthetic), but it really hammers one with a roundhouse of feelings.

The open ending didn't bother me too much. It's rare to see a series respect its audience's imagination instead of spelling everything out.

Anyway, for those who still have it in their queue, I can't recommend it highly enough. Keep the tissues handy, though.

Watched the Attack on Titan OVAs. They were OK though no substitute for a second season.

They're taking their sweet time aren't they? There is more than enough manga material now to do a 2 cour second season of Attack on Titan. They better strike while the iron is hot, you never know when the next big thing is coming around.

Finished watching Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru...etc. Fun silly dungeon crawler show. Fanservice but plenty of action too. Last fight was great.

The whole series is a promotional material for the Light novel. The series is generic and fan-service-y but I liked it as well. The pacing was too fast though and lots of detail or back-story was omitted.

The whole series is a promotional material for the Light novel. The series is generic and fan-service-y but I liked it as well. The pacing was too fast though and lots of detail or back-story was omitted.

F^ck the light novels, I demand another season. MORE CHESTIA!! er... Hestia!

Edited by Keith

i thought i'd be sitting out most of the spring anime lineup as most of the first episodes were weak. two that had relatively strong first episodes soon had me scratching my head why i'm bothering to watch them (Triage X, Gunslinger Stratos). another two (Denpa Kyoushi, Re-Kan!) were pretty ordinary, but at least they were relaxing to watch and had some heartwarming episodes.

i'm glad i persisted though with these:

Kekkai Sensen - undoubtedly the coolest show this season. a steampunk-ish New York, weird creatures, and a zany cast reminiscent of Durarara and Baccano; what's not to like?

Yamada-kun - i wasn't in the mood for yet another harem anime. so i initially avoided this. turns out this was quite different. romcom? yes. but harem? no. it challenges the viewer to keep up with the body switching, then on top of that how the different powers can be overlayed or transferred. the puzzle-solving element is likely what got me hooked and the ensuing shenanigans sustained my interest.

Owari no Seraph - at first i thought this would have a cast of toddlers and i actually dropped it a few minutes into the first episode. i resumed some weeks later when i learned that a second season was already planned even though the first season was barely halfway. that means it should probably be good, right? gave it another chance and liking how the show is developing.

Shokugeki no Souma - who knew ecchi and cooking would go so well together? i haven't watched a cooking anime since Cooking Master Boy more than two decades ago. this new take on the genre turned out to be quite refreshing and literally works up my appetite for more.

Punchline - possibly the most surprising anime this year. never thought there would be something more beside the pantsu!

Dungeon ni Deai - hands down my favorite of the season. very simple and straightforward story, arguably formulaic, but they somehow made it really fun. i've heard that a lot of LN material was left out, but despite that i thought the pacing was good, with steady development each episode, and (most) threads tied up. i was none the wiser of what i was missing. the last 4 episodes were great, leading up to a very satisfying finale. everyone kicked ass and got their asses kicked in turn. and while the music got a bit too Star War-sy near the end, the score building up to the penultimate moment was superb; strings, horns, and even a syncopated gong that sounds like it has seen better days. add to that a beautiful duet of incantations that melded with the music. not just the words themselves, i felt the incantations were special since rather than the usual chest-thumping, intimidating variety, they were instead prayers of humility. gave me goosebumps even after replaying the last episode a few times. i'm thinking of a marathon rewatch this weekend and certainly hoping for a second season, unlikely as that may be.

+1

Punchline seems so underrated. I had fun with it this season too. It has that zany Gainax/Trigger feel for a number of episodes.

I also enjoyed Plastic Memories. I think anyone who liked Chobits will probably get caught up in this story, as well. (I know I did.)

Agree on Kekkai Sensen (battleblood Blockade) being the coolest show this season, with Fate being the biggest disappointment.

Normally KyoAni shows are not my cup of tea, but boy do they make their shows look absolutely gorgeous. Hibiki Euphhonium has grown on me and the art/animation on it are movie level stuff. Gonna watch the finale later tonight.

For story, Arslan probably was my favorite show so far and I'm happy we're getting a second cour.

check out Gangsta.

Black Lagoon meets Samurai Champloo

Yeah, the first episode was pretty promising. Decent start to the summer season.

Anyone know if Aquarion Logos has been licensed? I want to see what crazy, whacky ideas Kawamori is up to nowadays.

The one I want to watch the most is Prison School. That manga is absolutely hilarious and ecchi as the devil.

He's not actually working on the new show, though.

Thanks for the info. I finally got to see the first episode and I was pretty underwhelmed. At least as first episode go, it wasn't as fun as EVOL was. And the whole thing felt a bit..cheap. Maybe all the A team at Satelight is working on Macross :p

BTW, anyone seen Ushio no Tora? Someone took a old manga and decided to do a 90's shounen in 2015 and it's a lot of fun.

Edited by Marzan

Time for my next show and I'm having a hard time deciding which to watch first between Gurren Lagan and Death Note. Have never seen one episode of either.

Gurren-Lagann.

Yes, the internet overhypes it.

Yes, there's a huge tone shift at the halfway point. Whether the show gets better or worse there is a subject of debate.

Yes, it's totally worth your time.

Time for my next show and I'm having a hard time deciding which to watch first between Gurren Lagan and Death Note. Have never seen one episode of either.

TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN!!