What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Finally finished Kenshin and the Trust and Betrayal OVAs, which were SUPERB!!! Had all the violence, blood and gore I was hoping for after being disappointed by the lack of it in the TV series.

I'm starting a new anime tonight that I've never seen before but heard so much about.....Samurai Champloo!

I really liked champloo. had a cowboy bebop feel to it.

They were both made by the same guy, Shinichiro Watanabe, who also co-directed Macross Plus by the way.

If you like his stuff, he has 2 series being streamed right now. Terror in Resonance and Space Dandy. They're very different, specially storywise, but both are superbly directed and have great soundtracks ( no surprises there).

Finished Gosick last night before it was taken off CrunchyRoll. It was entertaining and pretty well put-together. The last 1/3 of the series started to get a bit abstract and I felt as if some story elements were stretching a bit, but I'd recommend it if you like imaginative mysteries.

Still working on Valkyria Chronicles, Kill la Kill, SAO 2, and Aldnoah Zero. Also caught up on Space Brothers and eagerly awaiting any news of another season.

Looking to check out No Game, No Life; Akame ga Kill!; Campione!; and Mushibugyo soon.

another vote for samurai champloo.

since MAL was mentioned earlier, i checked out champloo's entry just out of curiosity.

it's ranked #9490. WTH?

the reviews though are consistently 8's and 9's with a smattering of 10's with an average of 8.74 which is in Top20 territory. the catch is, just 39 users have have bothered scoring.

talk about underrated...

They were both made by the same guy, Shinichiro Watanabe, who also co-directed Macross Plus by the way.

If you like his stuff, he has 2 series being streamed right now. Terror in Resonance and Space Dandy. They're very different, specially storywise, but both are superbly directed and have great soundtracks ( no surprises there).

I am watching Terror in Resonance, now I know why I like it.

another vote for samurai champloo.

since MAL was mentioned earlier, i checked out champloo's entry just out of curiosity.

it's ranked #9490. WTH?

the reviews though are consistently 8's and 9's with a smattering of 10's with an average of 8.74 which is in Top20 territory. the catch is, just 39 users have have bothered scoring.

talk about underrated...

MAL was hacked (I've heard that a lot of fansub sites were targeted as well) so a lot of shows have quirky results. The worst is that as far as I understand, they might not be able to recuperate all that was lost.

Having said that, while MAL's ranking system views can be a useful tool to find out what to watch/not too watch, exercise a bit of caution too. MAL's main demographic/users is a young, mainly fansub oriented set. Which means that more 'serious' films or shows don't make it high in their rankings. None of Satoshi Kon's or MIyazaki's films for example are in the top 20 which is a bit ludicrous IMO.

On top of that, anything that's more than 20 years old has by default a bad score. Anime basically started with Evangelion in the MAL worldview. Old stuff is immediately labeled as 'dated' except by the few old timers that hang around the site. And mecha is always judged a bit harshly too. No Macross show makes the top 300 for example and the original Gundam has a lower score than SEED. They do love, and I mean love their 'slice of life' shows in MAL though.

My rule of thumb when consulting scores there is to add half a point if the show has mecha, add a full point if it's more than 20 years old

Discotek just announced they picked up Samurai Troopers aka Ronin Warriors tv series+OVAs. The initial release will be the original Japanese version with the english tv dub which they there is an issue to be worked out will be released later. I think they just want to avoid Bandai's double sided disaster.

They also picked up Bokurano, Comic Party, and Lupin 3rd: Napoleon's dictionary.

Edited by renegadeleader1

MY TAKE ON OF EROGE ANIME ADAPTIONS IS OVER! For fugging realz!

Carnival Phantasm: Part of the reason Fate/ and Tsukihime are connected, this series was actually very funny with its variety of skits even if some of them fell apart. The specials were as decent although EX Season went on longer than it should. Decent for a comedy.

Ayu-Mayu Theater: The ONA sequel to Akane Maniax which was not covered last time unfortunately. Seven episodes consisting of two minor characters being whacky with in-jokes from other eroge. Not as good as Carnival Phantasm, but is had its charm. Decent for a comedy as well.

Fate/Stay Night: The first of the three Fate/ meta series. The characters were dull, the writing was mediocre at best, the music was amazingly lackluster, bad comedy, build up was pathetic, and worst of all the pacing was absolutely horrendous. When I mean horrendous I mean they draw LITERALLY EVERYTHING OUT LONG AFTER ITS WELCOME. Events that take up five episodes could easily be shrunken down to one. Even in the other eroge adaptions I took on never had bad pacing of this levels, it killed the anime bar none. At least the story was easy to follow, the action was decent, and the art style was good. In addition to the first TV series I took on the Unlimited Blade Works movie and GOOD LORD THIS IS ACTUALLY DECENT. The pacing, while still having some sluggish issues, is far superior despite the other problems hammering it down. Supposedly they will make a second movie and to be honest I look forward to it.

Fate/Zero: The second of the three Fate/ meta series. This is, without a doubt, one of the worst anime of all time. I will never understand why people like this, it has nearly every problem the first series had, but worse. Yes it had some of the good aspects and the animation was upped, plus Rider was actually a likeable character (despite Saber again being the main hero). However, the pacing is not only as bad, they actually made it WORSE. Why would you have your first episode DOUBLE THE LENGTH of a normal episode? That is GTO levels of dumb. I would not mind it if they STOPPED there as every other episode insists of adding several more minutes to regular run times back and forth, leaving little to no consistency while sometimes not even playing the music. I wanted to give this series the benefit of the doubt by assuming it was for content, but some episodes will COMPLETELY CHANGE THE STORY AND FOCUS ON EVENTS THAT ARE NOT RELEVANT TO THE PLOT! They did too much of this in the second half! This is not even something where you can say "character development", not when you deliberately interrupted important plot points! Plus everything they showed could have easily been told in four minutes! Everything could have been summed up THAT easily! I keep hearing this series is good because it is "dark", but the first half of the series is not even that dark compared to standard fantasy titles. I want to call this Valvrave levels of awful, but I cannot for many reasons, the main being that was a prequel to an established story and aside from Lancelot being the berserker none of twists were out of left field or had some real build up, which is something I will give this credit. Just because some dark writer was in charge of this does not make it good.

Fate/kalied liner Prisma Ilya: The third of the three Fate/ meta series. No question, most tolerable of the three bar none. Yes the pacing sucked, but it was actually decent for the first half of the first series. Yes it had most of the problems the first and second series did, but at least the run time was consistent. Unlike the first two series the comedy was, wait for it, actually somewhat decent! Yes! Seriously! However it had the new problem of sexualizing children.... Yes, kind of disturbing ("kind of" being a joke). It is comparable to Nanoha levels with dumb underpants shots and bath scenes, but unlike Nanoha it is not to a disgusting degree, it took me a while to figure out how this series managed to accomplish this, then I realized all the kids are drawn as adults; plus the teens and adults are sexualized too, so in a way nobody is safe. The specials were kind of dumb, especially since the vast majority of the fan service took place there. Then the second series comes in and introduces the main heroine's evil twin. Not only did fan service go up, but they added random yuri elements in it for no reason AND IT CHANGES GENRES! SERIOUSLY! The first series was basically a Cardcaptor Sakura knockoff with some more action, the second series on the other hand was a slice of life school series until the final three episodes when the only plot related event occurs with it being revealed on extra card is out there. The last episode of the second series ends saying there will be a second half. SOME HOW, DESPITE ALL THE UNNECESSARY ECCHI CRAP GOING TO NEARLY THE WHOLE CAST INCLUDING CHILDREN, THIS WAS BETTER THAN STAY NIGHT OR ZERO.

Demonbane > Night Walker > School Days > Nanatsuiro Drops > Rumbling Hearts > Refrain Blue! > Akane Maniax > Baldr Force EXE Resolution > Carnival Phantasm > Koi-ken The Animation > Ayu-Mayu Theater > Canary > Underbar Summer > Tsukihime > Moekan The Animation > Wind -a breath of heart- > Kira Kira > Fate/kaleid liner > Triangle Heart: Sweet Songs Forever > Muv-Luv Alternate > Soul Link > Prism Ark > Prism Magical > Fate/Stay Night > Fate/Zero

I can finally watch normal anime again, but I am too burned out to want to do so. :( And yes I will eventually take on the new KlK episode, likely when I decide to marathon a bunch of other specials I recently found available, and likely I will do this to it.

1408745258709.gif

I know it is your opinion so I should respect it but saying that MUV-LUV is ultimately better than Fate/zero just doesn't suit well for me. First of all, I like mecha and Sexy girls in an anime but those are not even enough to save Muv-luv, the first episode shows so much promise since so many un-expected (for me ) things happen. It is so far, one of the most hated series that I ever watched and I really blame myself for watching the 70 to 80% of the announced episode thinking that it will redeem itself later on.

Maybe you got burned watching too much in a short time? Maybe most of the people that suggested those series watched it as they go when they are still airing in Japan.

Muv-Luv Alternate TE I found terrible, but Zero did so many things worse that it deserved the bottom. Pretty much everything below Fate/Kaleid is a 2/10 if not 1/10 (which I have only ever assigned to Puni Puni Poemii and Valvrave out of well over 600 anime titles). However since these are eroge adaptions they get no official rating from me. Also burn out had little to do with it, I marathon anime all the time and only when the pacing is bad do I feel like that, then again I watched a lot of series with very bad pacing while juggling three Super Sentai shows, Kamen Rider Gaim, and Gundam-San (which I have been seeing as it airs and will give a review once it is over).

Since your response was detailed as to why you felt the way you did and there was no patronizing in any way you get a point.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Pretty much everything below Fate/Kaleid is a 2/10 if not 1/10 (which I have only ever assigned to Puni Puni Poemii and Valvrave out of well over 600 anime titles).

Aww, man. I LOVED Valvrave.

Not for any of the intended reasons, mind you. It's a classic example of "so bad it's good." The thing came off as a masterful parody, and the fact that I'm pretty sure I was supposed to be taking it seriously just made it funnier.

Haru x L-Elf OTP! Bitter x sweet 4 lyfe!

As far as Unlimited Blade Works goes... I have very mixed feelings about it.

As a Fate/ fanwank, it's wonderful to see all those badass scenes animated. And I admit I loved it for that.

But as a general viewing product... it's kind of a storytelling trainwreck. They threw in all the cool scenes and skipped over anything that didn't look cool. It's a very incomplete tale, and simply assumes you've already read the game so it doesn't need to explain how we're getting from A to B to C.

This makes me unable to really put a score on it, as I have two very different opinions of it.

And Fate/Zero? Any scene that Rider/Zero wasn't in was a complete waste of my time. And that's why I dropped it before the halfway point.

Edited by JB0

It's a classic example of "so bad it's good." The thing came off as a masterful parody, and the fact that I'm pretty sure I was supposed to be taking it seriously just made it funnier.

This is what I never got, how is VVV a "parody"? Because it is from Sunrise who has done mecha in the past? Because stock characters? Because TM Revolution did the music? Because of the amount of twists? Because Kunio Okawara's name is in this and it might be the final non-Gundam series he ever works on and GOSH DARN IT I AM STILL FRIGGIN ANGRY OVER THIS TRIPE!

Edited by DuelGundam2099

This is what I never got, how is VVV a "parody"? Because it is from Sunrise who has done mecha in the past? Because stock characters? Because TM Revolution did the music? Because of the amount of twists? Because Kunio Okawara's name is in this and it might be the final non-Gundam series he ever works on and GOSH DARN IT I AM STILL FRIGGIN ANGRY OVER THIS TRIPE!

It's a "parody" because it took the standard cliches and dragged them to comedy through exaggeration or just haphazard implementation.

Which is to say it was terribly written, but that kind of terrible that becomes funny.

This discussion is all part of L-Elf's plan.

Edited by JB0

It's a "parody" because it took the standard cliches and dragged them to comedy through exaggeration or just haphazard implementation.

Exaggerating cliches is not parody, that is bad writing, they never even bring it to their attention.

You people have no appreciation for the true joys in life.

I can enjoy things easier than most people, that was not true joy unless you have a taste for mean spirited events.

Exaggerating cliches is not parody, that is bad writing, they never even bring it to their attention.

I think you may have missed JBO's point: Valvavre is not a parody; it's unintended parody, which by its sheer awfulness makes it come across as a "masterful parody" to those of a mind to enjoy crap that, despite itself, transcends its crapiness into the realm of "train-wreck" funny... the fact that the writers never intended it as such makes it that much more cringe-worthy hilarious.

I got the impression that Valverave was similar to Code Geass, since both Haruto and Lelouch have special abilities that can affect the people around them. I wasn't impressed by either series and was only able to make it through the first season of each. The characters are extremely flamboyant, or melodramatic, at times and it is hard for me to get into a show when the voice actors use that method.

I have not watched Valvrave, but I get great pleasuare from shows that fall in the 'so bad it's good' category so maybe I should give it a looksie.

Anyway, the next season will soon be upon us and I’m hoping that most of the stuff offered will be available via the known streaming services.

http://anichart.net/fall

Obviously at the top of the wanna watch list is

Gundam Reconguista: the first Tomino directed Gundam series since Turn A. I’m extremely curious about how the old man handles himself with this one. I hope he’s still got it and provides us with a gripping story.

Psycho Pass 2. Second season of Psycho Pass. Oh yeah!

But I also want to see

Kiseijuu / Parasite: I read the manga and it was a pretty entertaining story about parasites taking over the bodies of a lot of people in Japan. Pretty gory manga and I hope that Madhouse provides its usual level of quality for this one.

Chaika: The little story that could from the spring season

Inou Battle Wa: Looking at the plot and the character designs doesn’t exactly attract me, but Studio Trigger has kind of taken over the mantle of the most creative and electrifying studio from Gainax, so I want to at least check out a couple of episodes.

@marzan

thanks for sharing

my thoughts:

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works - Just like what the previous comment about this, the movie lacks any detail and assumes that you watched the first anime or played the game. But imo, they should have just animate the 3rd route

Gundam - even if Tomino describe his new series is not for the current Gundam fan, the eureka 7 feel is attracting me towards it. And the first Build fighter series is good for casual watching

There are lots of Shounen/Sword/magic/Fighting anime - It will be a challenge to check them each and see if some of them are good.

Anyone else watching Aldnoah Zero?

Seems kinda odd that it's a one sided war with Super Robots for the Martians and Real Robot for the Earthlings. +_+ And then only the protagonist is killing/defeating these Super Robots.

Will weapons parity ever occur? I was hoping that at some point the Earthlings gain some weapons parity and will become the antagonist in the second season ala Titans/A-LAWS. :D

By the way, if these is supposed to be an alternate 2014, why no IED's or EFP's for employed against the Martian Kat in Epsiode 3?

Or Nukes against the Landing Castles that landed? :ph34r:

Anyone else watching Aldnoah Zero?

Seems kinda odd that it's a one sided war with Super Robots for the Martians and Real Robot for the Earthlings. +_+ And then only the protagonist is killing/defeating these Super Robots.

Will weapons parity ever occur? I was hoping that at some point the Earthlings gain some weapons parity and will become the antagonist in the second season ala Titans/A-LAWS. :D

By the way, if these is supposed to be an alternate 2014, why no IED's or EFP's for employed against the Martian Kat in Epsiode 3?

Or Nukes against the Landing Castles that landed? :ph34r:

i actually like the one-sided war in terms of technology, at least we get to see a warfare that is rarely used.

the problem there is that the show shows that only one Earthling that actually uses their brain. The rest just went YOLO.