What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

i've had that on the shelf for a while. how does it compare to Ergo Proxy?

They're comparable for sure. The tone, art, setting and even the character designs are rather similar. The biggest difference would be that Ergo Proxy has more dialogue and exposition, the characters are more approachable, whereas Texhnolyze is really a "show, don't tell" kind of series and the characters are much harder to read and like. But I'm thinking that Texhnolyze maybe the better series, although I cannot really put my finger why.

The first episode of Texhnolyze is really tough and WTF to get through though. The story gets easier. I've read somewhere that the director wanted to in that way dispose of the "casual viewer". I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is, I wonder how the producer felt about that.

thanks. i'll queue it up. i like ambiguity and "show, don't tell", though arguably, Ergo Proxy was at times too ambiguous for its own good. if Texhnolyze does indeed surpass Ergo in that aspect then that's fair warning that it might be a challenging watch. hopefully the payoff will be good.

right now though, i just can't put down Zetsuen no Tempest. i started around noon and i'm now halfway at ep12 (my work inbox is now screaming!). the writers must have been fans of Shakespeare and Sherlock Holmes.

What I saw of Texhnolyze was grueling. I keep meaning to get back to it. Actually, I should probably start over from the beginning. I thoroughly enjoyed Ergo Proxy, but felt that it suffered from lack of direction when the main chracters left the city and entered the wasteland. I actually thought more would come of that journey in my first viewing.

I picked up Beyond the Boundary as another new show for this season. Yeah, I couldn't resist the glasses and the cardigan.

Written by the same guy. in fact Accel World is set in the future of SAO, though loosely. I prefer SAO myself, but Accel world is fun so far.

Thanks. That make sense as both are about virtual gaming. Sword Art Online seems more serious, like life and death struggle serious.

I've got three pages of Crunchyroll open on my browser right now: Attack on Titan, Sword Art Online, and Space Brothers.I am waiting to see if my girlfriend is interested in the first two before I start watching (so we can watch together).

I've watched three episodes of Space Brothers today and I am very impressed. As many other watchers have done, I'm finding a lot of inspiration from this show. I'm 33 and almost finished with my aerospace engineering degree with the hopes of getting a job designing and building rockets and rocket engines. I have to say that I would die happy if I could make it to outer space some day. And I don't mean the cheap "space tourism" way, where you're in space for a few minutes until gravity pulls you back down because you're not technically in orbit... I can already tell I'm really going to enjoy this series.

thanks. i'll queue it up. i like ambiguity and "show, don't tell", though arguably, Ergo Proxy was at times too ambiguous for its own good. if Texhnolyze does indeed surpass Ergo in that aspect then that's fair warning that it might be a challenging watch. hopefully the payoff will be good.

right now though, i just can't put down Zetsuen no Tempest. i started around noon and i'm now halfway at ep12 (my work inbox is now screaming!). the writers must have been fans of Shakespeare and Sherlock Holmes.

Zetsuen no Tempest - i couldn't get into it. I gave it... I dunno 7 or 8 episode I think? It was OK, just a little... I dunno, detached maybe? The characters all fell a little flat for me.

sh1t hits the fan in episode 8, and through to 12. i find it hard to imagine anyone will be able to stop at that particular point.

you might also see the characters a bit differently after that stretch..

i'll write a bit more about it later, but suffice to say i find it easily recommendable to fans of mystery anime.

I'm starting to feel that I sound like a broken record every week coming here and saying "OMG" at the latest Monogatari Series episode. But...

OH MY FREAKING GOD, WHAT AN AWAZING EPISODE THAT WAS!!

I can't put into words what I'm feeling right now.

Edited by Keith

A most excellent episode.

It seems Nadeko was aware of all the girls hanging around with Araragi, even Senjogahara. It is tragic how her jealousy is quickly turning everyone into an enemy. And did I see a wrapped arm in the preview at the end? Will Kanbaru make it to the "final boss" for the next episode?

LoL! The new Medusa hairstyle is a nice touch too.

Monogatari Second

That was a hell of a chapter. Now I understand all those spoilers over the years with the words "Nadeko, Final Boss". I loved the Medusa look and the absolute insane monologues/Snake dialogues she has. Nevertheless, the way Senjougahara gunned her down on the phone at the end was nothing short of breathtaking. Senjougahara's wit/voice is still the most formidable weapon in the Monogatari series.

The battle scene we saw previewed in the epilogue, is that something we'll get next chapter, an upcoming arc, or is it never to be seen a la Kizumonogatari?

More Monogatari Second...

The final reality that Nadeko became a god on her own was startling. Not only does it speak to the spoilers over the years, but it also speaks to Oshino cautioning Araragi about getting involved. There are consequences all around. I also like how her choice to rebel and swallow the talisman makes Nadkeo a much more interesting character. It also shows that Araragi is fallible, even with Shinobu.

I do have a couple questions: "Oshino's cousin" was the catalyst, tapping into Nadeko's insanity. What does she have to profit from this? Also why would Senjougahara give Nadeko the key to stopping everyone?

Anyway, I liked how Nadeko was wearing her Medusa hairstyle up in the epilogue. I guess by that time her change is complete.

Actually, that's a damn good question.

Is this going to continue next week? Will we skip to another part of the story? Another recap episode? What about when Araragi called Kanbaru during the Shiro arc?

There's one thing I do know, Senjougahara gave Nadeko advice so as not to repeat past mistakes. If Shinobu rampages, the the world dies. If Senjougahara is directly threatened though, eould Araragi summon enough strength to kill a god? That may be her plan. I honestly don't know at this point. I just hope Kizu gives us insight into these new background characters.

Monogatari

not sure if Senjougahara was aware of what happened in the alternate future timeline. given her sharp mind, i think the sequence of kills she offered to Nadeko is just pure tactics to give Araragi the best possible chance of survival, her ultimate aim. 1) making herself the first target, she probably thinks she can at least buy some time (however limited) for Araragi, or wear down Nadeko, or she has an ace up her sleave. whether she succeeds or not, she fulfills her devotion to Araragi 2) Shinobu is the the insurance both because Shinobu is realistically more capable of actually defeating Nadeko, and if Shinobu falls, Araragi turns human and that might change Nadeko's mind

i think we'll get Otorimonogatari (Shinobu Time) next as this was supposed to be concurrent to Tsubasa Tiger, and that this second series will close with Koimonogatari (Hitagi End) for the showdown with Nadeko, possibly with a cliffhanger for the 3rd season. i think chronologically, Mayoi Vamp should've aired before Tsubasa Tiger, but they probably wanted to open the season with the more popular character. with both Mayoi Vamp and Nadeko Medusa in between, delaying Shinobu Time to the end might be too big of a gap.

in case this hasn't been posted, Hanamonogatari has been excluded from the 2nd season because it will get its own series in 2014. really curious about it.

http://seventhstyle.com/2013/08/28/hanamonogatari-anime-premiering-2014/

as for Kizu, except for the dude at the start of Tsubasa Tiger, none of the new characters were featured in Kizu. it seems the 2ns season is largely independent of Kizu, which is both good and bad. good in the sense we can enjoy the 2nd season regardless, bad because it gives them little incentive to actually finish and air Kizu. no idea at all if Kizu is necessary as a pretext for the 3rd season.

in case you're wondering, Kizu is the only novel i've read. i'm at my wit's end trying not to read Hitagi End given the ominous title and the fact it has now been translated, save for a couple of pages.

edit: you know i'm still wondering why Titan has its own thread and we never started one for Bakemono which has 2 seasons (counting Nise) and an OVA (Kuro), the current ongoing series, a planned series in 2014 (Hana) and likely a 3rd season series or OVA before that, and lastly the Kizu movie always being dangled as a possibility.

so has anyone checked this out yet?

Edited by Major Focker

Monogatari

not sure if Senjougahara was aware of what happened in the alternate future timeline. given her sharp mind, i think the sequence of kills she offered to Nadeko is just pure tactics to give Araragi the best possible chance of survival, her ultimate aim. 1) making herself the first target, she probably thinks she can at least buy some time (however limited) for Araragi, or wear down Nadeko, or she has an ace up her sleave. whether she succeeds or not, she fulfills her devotion to Araragi 2) Shinobu is the the insurance both because Shinobu is realistically more capable of actually defeating Nadeko, and if Shinobu falls, Araragi turns human and that might change Nadeko's mind

i think we'll get Otorimonogatari (Shinobu Time) next as this was supposed to be concurrent to Tsubasa Tiger, and that this second series will close with Koimonogatari (Hitagi End) for the showdown with Nadeko, possibly with a cliffhanger for the 3rd season. i think chronologically, Mayoi Vamp should've aired before Tsubasa Tiger, but they probably wanted to open the season with the more popular character. with both Mayoi Vamp and Nadeko Medusa in between, delaying Shinobu Time to the end might be too big of a gap.

in case this hasn't been posted, Hanamonogatari has been excluded from the 2nd season because it will get its own series in 2014. really curious about it.

http://seventhstyle.com/2013/08/28/hanamonogatari-anime-premiering-2014/

as for Kizu, except for the dude at the start of Tsubasa Tiger, none of the new characters were featured in Kizu. it seems the 2ns season is largely independent of Kizu, which is both good and bad. good in the sense we can enjoy the 2nd season regardless, bad because it gives them little incentive to actually finish and air Kizu. no idea at all if Kizu is necessary as a pretext for the 3rd season.

in case you're wondering, Kizu is the only novel i've read. i'm at my wit's end trying not to read Hitagi End given the ominous title and the fact it has now been translated, save for a couple of pages.

edit: you know i'm still wondering why Titan has its own thread and we never started one for Bakemono which has 2 seasons (counting Nise) and an OVA (Kuro), the current ongoing series, a planned series in 2014 (Hana) and likely a 3rd season series or OVA before that, and lastly the Kizu movie always being dangled as a possibility.

Good idea. Let's keep this discussion and others like it here then

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=40096

Next to Sun Tzu's The Art of War, Girl Und Panzer should be required viewing for all military officers:

So, to beat one of the rarest, and arguably least successful tanks the Germans fielded during WWII, all you need is two more German Tanks, a Japanese light tank, an American light take to act as bait and one sacrificial German assault gun.

So, to beat one of the rarest, and arguably least successful tanks the Germans fielded during WWII, all you need is two more German Tanks, a Japanese light tank, an American light take to act as bait and one sacrificial German assault gun.

Correction, the Maus was never actually fielded in combat. Only two prototypes were ever built one without a turret. The first completed one was sabotaged to prevent it from falling into Russian hands, and the second incomplete one was abandoned outright. After the war the red army took the intact turret off of the blown up one and attached to the second hull which is what you see in the Russian national tank museum today.

Because they were prototypes it really is hard to tell how successful it would have, but it did have a gun that could outrange and destroy anything put against it, and could out turn a sherman. Still if you think the concept of the Maus is insane you should look up the Ratte aka the Landkruizer. Somebody at Krupp thought it would be a good idea to make a tank 5 times the size of the Maus and fit it with twin 11 inch naval guns.

Correction, the Maus was never actually fielded in combat. Only two prototypes were ever built one without a turret. The first completed one was sabotaged to prevent it from falling into Russian hands, and the second incomplete one was abandoned outright. After the war the red army took the intact turret off of the blown up one and attached to the second hull which is what you see in the Russian national tank museum today.

Because they were prototypes it really is hard to tell how successful it would have, but it did have a gun that could outrange and destroy anything put against it, and could out turn a sherman. Still if you think the concept of the Maus is insane you should look up the Ratte aka the Landkruizer. Somebody at Krupp thought it would be a good idea to make a tank 5 times the size of the Maus and fit it with twin 11 inch naval guns.

LOL. That guy was probably the intellectual father of the guy who designed the Bagger 288 open mine excavator.

LOL. That guy was probably the intellectual father of the guy who designed the Bagger 288 open mine excavator.

Considering both were made by Krupp it very well could have been the same guy outright. The Bagger 288 does share a small amount of concept design with the P1500 Monster design. The Monster was Krupp's idea for taking a massive 31 inch Gustav railgun and giving it tank treads so it could go anywhere. The monster never made past the conception pre-prototype design stage unlike the Ratte who had some parts made before cancellation, or the Maus' two prototypes.

You know what, I'm getting this one mixed up with the Elefant heavy tank destroyer. my bad.

Major Focker, can you recommend a good site to watch IS? The first season isn't on Crunchyroll.

I'm through episode 9 of Attack on Titan. My girlfriend and I are thoroughly enjoying it. It's good to find some quality anime that doesn't have to resort to fanservice or ecchi themes to please its fans.

Space Brothers is just as engaging to me; I'm through 7 episodes, with many more to go!

Major Focker, can you recommend a good site to watch IS? The first season isn't on Crunchyroll.

I'm through episode 9 of Attack on Titan. My girlfriend and I are thoroughly enjoying it. It's good to find some quality anime that doesn't have to resort to fanservice or ecchi themes to please its fans.

Space Brothers is just as engaging to me; I'm through 7 episodes, with many more to go!

IS is on Hulu for North America as far as I can tell.

Attack on Titan is quite a ride. Just make sure you avoid all the darn spoilers out there on the web. Don't google anything on it.