What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Look for the Kantai Collection [aka. "Kankore"] anime sometime in 2014.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kantai_Collection

Btw, I loved Girls und Panzer. Probably ranks in as one of my top 10 favorite animes.

There's also the Moe moe 2-ji Daisenryaku strategy game. It has moe everything military in it, but being a Daisenryaku game it sure isn't easy. Great art though.

I'll have to check out Kantai collection when it comes out. I wonder what a moe USS Massachusetts would look like? Probly short, heavily stacked, and wearing only an apron considering her class was the heaviest armed of the Washington treaty era US Battleships, and her nickname was big Mamie. :)

Just started Girl Und Panzer.

There was first WW2 warbird moe, followed by firearms moe, and now tank moe... what's next, Ship moe? ... oh wait... http://myanimelist.net/anime/18893/Aoki_Hagane_no_Arpeggio:_Ars_Nova

Don't forget that there's Stella C3 which is "airsoft moe"

There'll soon be "airplane moe". I can just imagine the refined British girl piloting a Spitfire and the busty American blonde in her Mustang (they have to fulfill the stereotypes you see). The German girl will of course be a tsundere in her Messernschmidt. The plucky Japanese hero will of course pilot her Zero to victory.

There'll soon be "airplane moe". I can just imagine the refined British girl piloting a Spitfire and the busty American blonde in her Mustang (they have to fulfill the stereotypes you see). The German girl will of course be a tsundere in her Messernschmidt. The plucky Japanese hero will of course pilot her Zero to victory.

Yeah, that's been done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSaqvhvnAgI

Just finished the first season of Sword Art online... Manly tears man... manly tears. Great endeding.

Starting season 2 immediately.

I agree that season 1 of SAO was pretty epic. I'll be interested in your thoughts on season 2...

And that's all I'll say for now. (spoilers)

Hey guys, I'm not sure whether I asked this question already but in case I haven't...

Can someone recommend the proper order to watch all Gundam series in? Here are the ones I currently have that I'm planning on watching...

1)Mobile Suit Gundam: The Movie Trilogy

2)Zeta Gundam

3)Gundam Wing

4)Turn A Gundam

5)Gundam 00

6)Gundam 0083

7)Gundam SEED

Are these 7 shows *good* Gundam shows to watch? Are they listed in the recommended viewing order?

Hey guys, I'm not sure whether I asked this question already but in case I haven't...

Can someone recommend the proper order to watch all Gundam series in? Here are the ones I currently have that I'm planning on watching...

2)Zeta Gundam

3)Gundam Wing

4)Turn A Gundam

5)Gundam 00

6)Gundam 0083

7)Gundam SEED

Are these 7 shows *good* Gundam shows to watch? Are they listed in the recommended viewing order?

I think Gubaba will help you.
As for me, I like Zeta and 0083. I don't like the Gundam series well, but those 2 are the exceptions.
0079's anime will be remade in the future as "Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin," so you better wait for a while. Or read the original manga by Yasuhiko.
Ah, but 0083 is the sequel of 0079 and the prequel of Zeta... You should watch 0079...

Gundam SEED, 00, Wing are all alternate universes. Watch those at your leisure. The rest you listed are all from Universal Century, which is arguably Gundam's "main" universe, and where most of the popularity lies.

I suggest you watch (in this order):

1) Original Gundam 0079 (or compilation movies)
2) Gundam 08th MS Team (OVA)
3) Gundam War in the Pocket (OVA)

4) Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory (OVA, leads into Zeta)
5) Zeta Gundam
6) ZZ Gundam
7) Gundam, Char's Counterattack
8) Gundam Unicorn (6 episodes out, 1 more left for April 2014)

After this, you can watch Gundam F91 and Turn A (very far in the chronological future), but they're both mostly self-contained series.

Edited by Archer

Thanks but damn...that's a lot of frakking Gundam.

I don't have all the ones you listed Archer, so maybe I'll just go with

Movie Trilogy

0083 Stardust

Zeta

Wing

SEED

Turn A

...would that be OK?

If you just want the core story, watch First Gundam (i.e. 0079) (Movies or TV series), then Zeta (preferably TV series), ZZ, and Char's Counterattack.

That'll give you a firm grounding in the basics, and then you can proceed at your own pace with whatever else you fancy.

(And yes, ZZ is not to everyone's taste... but it does wrap up most of the loose ends from Zeta.)

2)Zeta Gundam

3)Gundam Wing

4)Turn A Gundam

5)Gundam 00

6)Gundam 0083

7)Gundam SEED

It really depends on whether you want to start with the original "Universal Century" (UC) series or start with the various "alternate universe" series.

If you're going with the UC series timeline, then starting with the Gundam movies trilogy is the correct move. If you want to take the short short route, you can go -

Movies Trilogy

Zeta Gundam TV series

Char's Counterattack movie

These 3 titles are generally considered the core of the UC story. Mainly because Amuro Ray and/or Char Aznable are the key/central figures. Technically, Double Zeta should be part of the core but since it isn't very highly regarded and doesn't have Amuro or Char, it's somtimes considered as a 'you can ignore it' series.

You can fill in the sequels and side stories such as 0080 War in the Pocket, 0083 Stardust Memory, 08 MS Team, F91, MS Igloo, Unicorn and such later on

I would highly recommend watching 0080 War in the Pocket though as I think it's one of the more poignant Gundam stories.

As for the alternate timeline series, personally I would skip them until you really want more Gundam to watch. Though if you want to start with an alternate timeline series, I guess Wing would be the one to start with as it's very popular.

Edited by Vifam7

Zeta (preferably TV series), ZZ

Actually Zeta's movies never succeed to ZZ. And, well, were just like collages or patchworks...

Oh, by the way, SDFM fans had better watch 0080 and 0083. The character designer of the former a.k.a. "War in the Pocket" was Mikimoto-san. And one of the Mecha designers of the latter was Kawamori-san.

I watched 0083 more than 20 years ago, but I still remember the engine nozzles of a Zaku. Already had vectored thrust. It was "wow" when I watched they moved up and down, left and right.

Edited by antibiotictab

2)Zeta Gundam

3)Gundam Wing

4)Turn A Gundam

5)Gundam 00

6)Gundam 0083

7)Gundam SEED

Gundam 0083 is pretty, but kind of boaring, everything else on that list is pretty good.

IMO, the best place to start is to watch the fallowing three series in this order:

Zeta

ZZ

These three give you the broadest overview of the early UC timeline and introduce most of the themes and tropes that show up throughout all other gundam productions. From there you should watch Char's Counterattack before you watch Unicorn since a lot of what happens in CCA leads right into unicorn; and everything else can pretty much be watched in any order you like.

0080 and 8th MS team are both really good and are both pretty much self contained side stories, so as long as you've seen 0079 you'll be able to follow them fine.

0083 is basically just an elaboration of events that take place between 0079 and Zeta. IMO it's not that interesting and it's not necessary to understand what's going on in Zeta.

F91 and Victory are still UC, but there so far removed from both each other and the earlier UC stuff that you can just watch either one whenever you want. F91 is a bit disjointed since it was supposed to be a full series that got truncated down into a single movie, but it's overall good. Victory is kind of depressing, I didn't care for it personally.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam and Gundam Wing are both separate continuities from UC and are 100% self contained. G Gundam is my favorite gundam of all time but it's certainly not for everyone, I also love wing but that's because I'm a child of the 90's. :p

Turn A Gundam is technically it's own separate continuity as well, but it was also sort of writen as the end point of a single timeline that unites all the other gundam timelines that existed up to the point Turn A was produced. While it's possible to watch Turn A in isolation and follow it, there are a lot of nods and references to previous gundam series that you'll only pick up on if you've seen the previous shows they're from

SEED, 00 and AGE are in the same boat as G Gundam and Gundam Wing; self contained continuities that are completely watchable in isolation. I've yet to watch Age, but overall I enjoyed SEED and 00.

Edited by anime52k8

It really depends on whether you want to start with the original "Universal Century" (UC) series or start with the various "alternate universe" series.

If you're going with the UC series timeline, then starting with the Gundam movies trilogy is the correct move. If you want to take the short short route, you can go -

Movies Trilogy

Zeta Gundam TV series

Char's Counterattack movie

These 3 titles are generally considered the core of the UC story. Mainly because Amuro Ray and/or Char Aznable are the key/central figures. Technically, Double Zeta should be part of the core but since it isn't very highly regarded and doesn't have Amuro or Char, it's somtimes considered as a 'you can ignore it' series.

You can fill in the sequels and side stories such as 0080 War in the Pocket, 0083 Stardust Memory, 08 MS Team, F91, MS Igloo, Unicorn and such later on

I would highly recommend watching 0080 War in the Pocket though as I think it's one of the more poignant Gundam stories.

As for the alternate timeline series, personally I would skip them until you really want more Gundam to watch. Though if you want to start with an alternate timeline series, I guess Wing would be the one to start with as it's very popular.

Thanks for the replies guys...so just to be clear, you recommend I watch War in the Pocket but not until I watch Char's Counter Attack first? Or where should I fit WitP in the order? Ditto 08th MS team?

Also where should fit SEED in the order, once I move unto the side-timeline stuff?

This is so confusing LOL

I have a feeling I should try and save SEED for last, since from what I've read, it's suppsoedly the absolute best in the whole franchise, and I usually like to save the best for last :)

Edited by isamu

Thanks for the replies guys...so just to be clear, you recommend I watch War in the Pocket but not until I watch Char's Counter Attack first? Or where should I fit WitP in the order? Ditto 08th MS team?

Also where should fit SEED in the order, once I move unto the side-timeline stuff?

This is so confusing LOL

I have a feeling I should try and save SEED for last, since from what I've read, it's suppsoedly the absolute best in the whole franchise, and I usually like to save the best for last :)

You're making it more confusing than it needs to be. You said there was too much, and we simplified it, and (amazingly) mostly agreed on 0079, Z, ZZ, and Char's Counterattack.

0080, the 08th MS Team, and MS Igloo are all set during the first series, but they were made later, in some cases much, MUCH later. You can watch them whenever, If you want to watch 0080 and 0083 between 0079 and Zeta, fine. If you don't, fine.

And, er... the person who said Seed was best probably saw Seed first. Just sayin'.

Edited by Gubaba

And the sequel series Destiny, which is my favorite entry. Probably not a smart idea since people tend to hate SEED and Destiny if they watched the Universal Century first. I myself saved UC for last (not counting Turn A). The biggest series to worry about is Age, even I had a hard time enjoying it. *shrivels*

So I am trying to finish watching Blood+, it just seems to drag on and on after Episode 32(the attack on the Red Shield ship). The story seems stuck with Saya feeling lost after that incident. At least Kai grew up a bit. But it seems to be developing too slow to keep viewers interested.

For some reason, the Saya from Blood C was more interesting, especially how she develops in the last few episodes.

You're making it more confusing than it needs to be. You said there was too much, and we simplified it, and (amazingly) mostly agreed on 0079, Z, ZZ, and Char's Counterattack.

0080, the 08th MS Team, and MS Igloo are all set during the first series, but they were made later, in some cases much, MUCH later. You can watch them whenever, If you want to watch 0080 and 0083 between 0079 and Zeta, fine. If you don't, fine.

And, er... the person who said Seed was best probably saw Seed first. Just sayin'.

Your post falls in line with what another guy posted, so I'll go ahead and follow you guys' advice. He wrote...

Isamu,

That's the chronological, in-universe order of the series' (0079, 0080, 0083, 0087, 0088, 0093, and 0096).

What's usually suggested is to watch the series' in their production order. Otherwise, the differences between the original, older animation and the more modern animation might come off a bit weird. Not to mention the "breaks" between at least the earlier UC series' and the side-stories. So from that list...

1.) Mobile Suit Gundam

2.) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam

3.) Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam

4.) Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack

5.) Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket

6.) Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory

7.) Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team

8.) Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn

This sounds like a winner. Then after these, I guess I can go:

Wing

Turn A

SEED

Unicorn

Maybe G?

This sounds like a winner. Then after these, I guess I can go:

Wing

Turn A

SEED

Unicorn

Maybe G?

I think you should wait 'til you get there before planning that part out. Even leaving aside the "Alternate Universe" Gundams, you've still got PLENTY of hours of watching ahead of you.

Also, like I posted, I'd do the three OVA's (08th MS Team, 0080 War in the Pocket, and 0083 Stardust Memory) DIRECTLY after the original 0079 series (or compilation movies). This is mainly because the first two take place during the original series, whilst the last OVA (stardust memory) is not only good, it leads into Zeta Gundam.

Also, in my experience, the OVA's tend to be some of the best the series has to offer animation and story wise. 08th MS team especially captivated me to the Gundam Multiverse.

Edited by Archer

You should watch G because G is awesome. Also, don't watch MS IGLOO because it's horrible; like, not suitable for the eyes of humans horrible. The people who made it are bad and should feel bad that they made this crap horrible.

So I am trying to finish watching Blood+, it just seems to drag on and on after Episode 32(the attack on the Red Shield ship). The story seems stuck with Saya feeling lost after that incident. At least Kai grew up a bit. But it seems to be developing too slow to keep viewers interested.

For some reason, the Saya from Blood C was more interesting, especially how she develops in the last few episodes.

u know I never made it to the end of Blood Plus. When it came out down here it came as a half set with a full box for both halves. Thats fine... except they then released the second half, more expensive and with its OWN box that is to fit both halves. This nnoyed me enough at the time i never bough part 2.

Also, like I posted, I'd do the three OVA's (08th MS Team, 0080 War in the Pocket, and 0083 Stardust Memory) DIRECTLY after the original 0079 series (or compilation movies). This is mainly because the first two take place during the original series, whilst the last OVA (stardust memory) is not only good, it leads into Zeta Gundam.

Made later, yes? So they can be viewed later. 0083 isn't necessary for watching Zeta, but Zeta is necessary for ZZ (which itself is arguably necessary for Unicorn).

Remember, Isamu said it was getting way too complicated, so we all suggested the core stories. Don't scare the guy off before he's even started.

Made later, yes? So they can be viewed later. 0083 isn't necessary for watching Zeta, but Zeta is necessary for ZZ (which itself is arguably necessary for Unicorn).

Remember, Isamu said it was getting way too complicated, so we all suggested the core stories. Don't scare the guy off before he's even started.

Haha, alright. I just felt like watching some of the better stuff is a great way to stay invested. If I had to watch 0079 to Zeta straight into ZZ, I'm sure I'd either hate or simply disregard gundam by now. Emphasis on ZZ

ZZ was actually really good, after the first batch of episodes. And fundamentally, there is nothing added to the core story by watxhing 0080, 08th, & 0083, so those can easily be watchd later. And for the record, I likex MS IGLOO.

Archer I appreciate the suggestion my friend, but I think Gubaba has a point. He's not the only one who's highly suggested I go from 0079 directly to Zeta and then to ZZ, while saving the OVA's for later(after CCA). Several other people have suggested this because of the fact that that's the way they aired, I think that's the way the creators intended the viewer to watch them. I have completed the first 0079 Movie and I loved it. I seriously can't wait to start watching Zeta! Seems like it's gonna a fun ride :)

What are your thoughts on 00 vs Seed vs Turn A? Any one in particular you enjoy over the other?