What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Recently finished Rose of Versailles with my wife. A nice old school shojo series about Lady Oscar & the French Revolution. Not sure if you guys even heard of it (its very old from 1979), but it brought back a lot of childhood memories watching parts of it on TV when I was little, and my first exposure to one of my favorite character designers Shingo Araki & Michi Himeno (Saint Seiya). There isn't a lot of bells & whistles in the show by today's standard, and some parts of the show does feel a bit campy or dated. But it still has very good story telling (especially the 2nd half when a new director Ozama Dezaki took over), and a very good soundtrack. RightStuf recently released it in a 2-box DVD set, which is very nice. You can watch it online through viki.com (official channel) too:

http://www.viki.com/tv/10630c-the-rose-of-versailles

Not very often I can find anime shows I can share with my wife (Maison Ikkoku, Mushi Shi, Slam Dunk, Summer Wars, Miyazaki stuff...). Rose of Versailles became my recent new discovery, or should I say 'old' discovery. :p

Hey all, found a copy of Martian Succesor Nedesico complete set for cheap. Since I like mechs I was thinking about giving it a shot but have been told it is pretty kiddy-ish. Worth it or no? Is the series any good?

I enjoyed it and have watched it a couple of times; when I am in the mood for something light. It's been a while, but I think I did not like the ending. The movie was really good if I recall, again not sure if I liked the ending though.

Recently finished Rose of Versailles with my wife. A nice old school shojo series about Lady Oscar & the French Revolution. Not sure if you guys even heard of it (its very old from 1979), but it brought back a lot of childhood memories watching parts of it on TV when I was little, and my first exposure to one of my favorite character designers Shingo Araki & Michi Himeno (Saint Seiya). There isn't a lot of bells & whistles in the show by today's standard, and some parts of the show does feel a bit campy or dated. But it still has very good story telling (especially the 2nd half when a new director Ozama Dezaki took over), and a very good soundtrack. RightStuf recently released it in a 2-box DVD set, which is very nice. You can watch it online through viki.com (official channel) too:

The comic was played on the stage by Takarazuka Revue in 1974 and still is a main program of it. And the live-action movie was also made in France in 1979.

Not Ozama Dezaki, Osamu Dezaki. When he passed away, the special part was broadcast on the program called "Mag Net" on NHK in Japan. His contribution was great, and many anime related people missed him in the program. Even Yamakan (directer of Haruhi) and Shinbo (directer of Madoka Magica ) thanked him.

RIP

Edited by antibiotictab

I don't I will ever think ill of HIkaru or Alto when it comes to their love lives ever again after discovering that there is an anime adaptation of Kimi no Iru Machi launched this Summer. On the internet, it's also called The Town Where You RAGE, for having one of the most frustrating love triangles ever. How frustrating is it? I'll let ExecutiveOtaku explain:

http://www.thatanimeblog.com/index.php/2012/04/kimi-no-iru-machi-chapters-1-10-hopping-on-the-ragewagon/

http://www.viki.com/tv/10630c-the-rose-of-versailles

Not very often I can find anime shows I can share with my wife (Maison Ikkoku, Mushi Shi, Slam Dunk, Summer Wars, Miyazaki stuff...). Rose of Versailles became my recent new discovery, or should I say 'old' discovery. :p

I remember seeing some of that series back when I was kid. I used to think that the characters were really gorgeous but sometimes I mixed them up with the characters from another old series called Candy.

I tried watching Gasaraki again but I just couldn't get into it. The characters are just too flat for me. Instead I watched the first couple of episodes of Durarara and I like what I see so far. Not as good as Baccano but still pretty interesting.

After seeing group after group of cosplayers in AX sporting Attack on Titan, I came home to watch it...really good stuff. Think I'll watch Tiger and Bunny next.

Edited by Zor Primus

I just finished Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer. I thought it was pretty dang cool even if it had too much sex junk and the last episode was not very interesting. I can also imagine how this lead Obari to designing Dangaizer 3 since the titular character has similar armor (and it is called Soul Gear no less, which carried over to DGZ3 apparently). Why can't the Street Fighter movies be this good?

I don't I will ever think ill of HIkaru or Alto when it comes to their love lives ever again after discovering that there is an anime adaptation of Kimi no Iru Machi launched this Summer. On the internet, it's also called The Town Where You RAGE, for having one of the most frustrating love triangles ever. How frustrating is it? I'll let ExecutiveOtaku explain:

http://www.thatanimeblog.com/index.php/2012/04/kimi-no-iru-machi-chapters-1-10-hopping-on-the-ragewagon/

I am not an otaku at all and I don't know the story in detail yet. I just watched the episode 1 and 2 and I have not read the manga. But I have heard its story is so controversial.
They say Haruto is like Makoto from "School Days."
Ah, and the heroine, Yuzuki Eba is played by Megumi Nakajima in the anime. Love triangle again? But this time, Haruto-kun, not Aruto-kun (Alto-kun)...

I am not an otaku at all and I don't know the story in detail yet. I just watched the episode 1 and 2 and I have not read the manga. But I have heard its story is so controversial.
Ah, and the heroine, Yuzuki Eba is played by Megumi Nakajima in the anime. Love triangle again? But this time, Haruto-kun, not Aruto-kun (Alto-kun)...

If the MC is anything like Makoto from School Days, then it's bound to be a controversial series that will make a couple of people foam at the mouth in fury.

Anyone here seen Stella Women's Academy (sounds like a hentai doesn't it?)? The only reason I watched the firs couple of episodes on Crunchyroll was that it was a Gainax production. It reminds me a lot of Girls und Panzer but with the concept of airsoft guns instead of tanks.

At first I thought it was pretty boring, but it really grabbed after 10 minutes or so. It has many references to 80's action movies including a whole sequence based on Rambo: First Blood. And the combat scenes are remarkably well directed and with some really cool jazz music as the background. The weaponry is lovingly depicted and animated with Gainax's otaku eye for detail. While the series is far from Gainax's best work, it's still pretty entertaining IMHO and could be a sleeper hit this season.

I just started watching Inukami! starting with the first episode. Because this is ecchi there is a high chance I'll dislike it.... But so far it isn't TOO bad. I mean Yoko is annoying as hell, but so far that is the only bad part to and it looks like there will be fights with supernatural creatures, plus that agent guy seems like a neat character. I also really don't want to admit it, but the ending theme is somewhat catchy. :blink: Maybe it won't suck bat testicles, but only time will tell, I mean it did have a bear juggling cars.

And why the hell does the main character have a dog collar?

Edited by DuelGundam2099

If the MC is anything like Makoto from School Days, then it's bound to be a controversial series that will make a couple of people foam at the mouth in fury.

Anyone here seen Stella Women's Academy (sounds like a hentai doesn't it?)? The only reason I watched the firs couple of episodes on Crunchyroll was that it was a Gainax production. It reminds me a lot of Girls und Panzer but with the concept of airsoft guns instead of tanks.

At first I thought it was pretty boring, but it really grabbed after 10 minutes or so. It has many references to 80's action movies including a whole sequence based on Rambo: First Blood. And the combat scenes are remarkably well directed and with some really cool jazz music as the background. The weaponry is lovingly depicted and animated with Gainax's otaku eye for detail. While the series is far from Gainax's best work, it's still pretty entertaining IMHO and could be a sleeper hit this season.

Well, Kimi no Iru Machi was written by the same author as Suzuka so I'm not surprised. Definitely not my cup of tea so I'm not watching it.

Girls und Panzer in nihongo also sounded hentai as it sounded close to Girls and Pantsu (panties). Surprisingly, there wasn't a panty shot to be seen despite all of the girls wearing miniskirts. The focus was definitely on the tanks. For me, Girls und Panzer was one of the best animes I've watched in recent years.

Stella Women's Academy is next on my list to watch.

The MC in this show is just an idiot, not some sociopath like Makoto. The rage comes from readers because of the MC's, and to be honest the writer's too, dumb decisions with the love triangle. With 200+ chapters, we'd be lucky if it did end in a Nice Boat. The manga was done by the same guy that did Suzuka, if it means anything.

I don't watch hentai animes. Well, some pantsu animes and oppai anemes like Senran Kagura and Makenki are broadcast on TV, but I only watched the hentai OVAs like Cream Lemon 25 yeas ago.

Such kinds of things are no popular in Japan. Some fans may like it, but I don't watch it. I subscribe New Type mag, but the information of hentai animes doesn't appear on the mag.

Stella Joshi Gakuin is broadcast about at 1:40 am on every Friday. And it seems it look like "Upotte."

I am watching "Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi ha Mada Shiranai" when it is being aired.

Edited by antibiotictab

I don't watch hentai animes...

nether do i really, though early-200's and older fanservicey material is just peachy by me.

in fact, to be quite honest, this here is actually as close to an H-related Anime fantasy as i personally prefer to get,

which could really only ever be considered as such, in this day and age, by some real old-timey soccer-mom granny-prude;

Miku-chanhearts7-23-13_zpsac963439.jpg

- i don't know; i guess i'm of that seemingly rarefied lot that get's more out of old-fashioned "Ladylike" conventions that the far more modern 99.999999% out there.

i mean, i'm fairly certain i'd actually be really turned on more by an Anime chara that conveyed herself in such a long-outdated fashion

over any of today's cheap five and dime hot totties, YMMV...

Edited by Shaorin

nether do i really, though early-200's and older fanservicey material is just peachy by me.

in fact, to be quite honest, this here is actually as close to an H-related Anime fantasy as i personally prefer to get,

which could really only ever be considered as such, in this day and age, by some real old-timey soccer-mom granny-prude;

Didn't you decide that Mikuru was your ideal woman BEFORE you ever saw any Haruhi...? That's kinda weird right there.

i did. she sold me on the series on her strength alone. i learned all about her and her personality long before i even considered

picking up the first season and "Disappearance" movie. i still love her to pieces, and don't foresee any change anytime soon.

BTW; i still need to see 2nd season. i should have owned a set like two years ago,

but i've just had so many damned directions for my limited disposable income be going it ain't even funny.

if anyone here has a TMoHS 2nd Season set they're willing to part with, please by all means let me know, mmkay? :)

Edited by Shaorin

i did. she sold me on the series on her strength alone. i learned all about her and her personality long before i even considered

picking up the first season and "Disappearance" movie. i still love her to pieces, and don't foresee any change anytime soon.

BTW; i still need to see 2nd season. i should have owned a set like two years ago,

but i've just had so many damned directions for my limited disposable income be going it ain't even funny.

if anyone here has a TMoHS 2nd Season set they're willing to part with, please by all means let me know, mmkay? :)

lol, No.

Not selling mine for sure. Must have been weird to see the movie without the built up from the second season though.

As for new anime: just finished Journey to Agartha (Mangavideo BD version of Hoshi o Ou Kodomo) by Shinkai. Very impressive yet it has somewhat of a Ghibli feel. Also picked up the first Utena box unseen, but it came highly recommended by a friend, so I'll have a go.

Edited by Bri

2nd season isn't worth the purchase IMHO. Eight episodes of the "Endless Eight" arc ruined it for me. I stopped watching the Suzumiya Haruhi anime after that BS. Decided to the read the novels instead.

Saw Short Peace on Sunday and The Wind Rises at a late show on Monday night.

Short Peace was fun and original - I've always loved these sort of anime shorts that come out and show off some real uniqueness and talent (and usually get ignored by the rest of the industry). There were 4 shorts, the first three all being more traditionally Japanese themed and ranged from a travelling craftmans encounter with spirits in an abandoned shrine on a rainy night to a giant white bear in a fight with a giant red oni from space. The last short was a near-future SF military short set in a post apocalyptic Tokyo against a remaining auto tank. By Katsuhiro Otomo. Was terrific.

The Wind Rises was quite possibly the first Miyazaki flick I've enjoyed since Mononoke. It was far from perfect but it wasn't a damn kids show and....the planes....so many planes! (((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))

Edited by Tochiro

2nd season isn't worth the purchase IMHO. Eight episodes of the "Endless Eight" arc ruined it for me...

to see a little more of Miku-chan♥ is worth sitting through something like Endless Eight, IMHO...

to see a little more of Miku-chan♥ is worth sitting through something like Endless Eight, IMHO...

Yamakan didn't touch the season 2. He might have been a good director.

And... I wish Goto-san got better soon.

Yamakan didn't touch the season 2. He might have been a good director.

And... I wish Goto-san got better soon.

Endless Eight remains brilliant, don't listen to the haters. Bamboo Leaf and the Sigh arc also flesh out things nicely for Disappearance. E8 however 100% e plains why Yuki did what she did.

Hmm, dat Yuzuki Eba. For the MC's sake, I hope she's worth the trouble. Thank God there's no intergalactic war happening in the background.

Edited by Einherjar

This season, I'm watching WataMote for my slice-of-life fix. I think making the female lead anti-social, but not letting her realize that she's anti-social is an amusing twist for this show. The first two episodes have been fun and I'm looking forward to more.