What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

I think Urobuchi was gunning for this kind of ending from the beggining.

Very much in the vein of "a bad peace is better than a good war", Akane's bargain with the Sybil System hammers home the point about how despite all its faults, the system is able to adapt and improve, and does provide a high level of welfare for its citizens. Not much of a dramatic ending to be sure, but very much in line with what had been discussed amongst some characters for a while. And I don't know if you watched the credits all the way to the ending, but Kougami is shown to be alive and well and they leave things open for a second season. Maybe we get one depending on sales?

i think so too. and i would add that this is typical of many noir stories ie. things come full circle or case closed, back to business as usual, on the surface seemingly regardless of how dramatic the events that transpired were, but deep scars/ turmoil just beneath the skin.

conveniently, this style of storytelling lends itself well to sequels, though often it is also just to deliberately leave it open ended. maybe i'm being hopeful, but this last episode seemed mostly a preamble for a potential sequel.

Yeah, and like I mentioned on the previous page, we see some hints of a possible sequel as well. We get to see Kogami still kicking, a new inspector with story relevance (she was the survivor from the all-female academy), and we see Saiga talking to the Sibyl chairwoman.

Unless this was thrown in there for pure speculation purposes, I think these are good hints toward a possible sequel, barring horrible DVD sales.

I just finished Bodacious Space Pirates. As expected it was pretty fun, with plenty of nods to things that have come before, and OMFG Chiaki should have her own damn show / movie. Next up? Not sure, maybe Welcome to the NHK.

I can't wait until the movie comes out, but that won't be until next winter.

WHY MUST THEY TORTURE ME SO?!!!

Just done with Aquarion EVOL. The series was definitely at his best when it was kind of corny and camp or with the Aquarion's coming up with another ridiculous attack. It was a fun watch to be sure. I'm kind of glad though that Kawamori keeps some of his more wacky ideas for stuff like Aquarion and doesn't get too caught up with them for his Macross productions.

This morning I started watching Casshern Sins and just got done with episode 6. Wow, this has to be one of the most boring anime I have seen in a while. I can understand they were trying to be different from the original series, but even the live action movie was more faithful than this (and that did not even have Friender). They reduced Casshern from one pretty awesome fighting android hero with the feeling of isolation into "I have no memory and I act so emo because I am hounded but I cannot die and I feel pain all the time". The scary part is that he's the best character, everyone else is just "we're dying we're dying and we will all die" with some thinking "if we kill Casshern we might be immortal!" which might have to do with his regenerative properties.... That are not explained yet. They also made Friender pretty vicious and without the Hellhound (his flamethrower); I can understand why they cut out vehicle transforming, but this.... I don't know. The lack of Braikking Boss also makes for rather lackluster use of villains, they just make all his opponents anti-heroes. What's with the moral ambiguity? It is not really a bad thing, but here it is REALLY over done, kind of like The Grapes of Wrath. Also the music is bland as hell.

Sadly I can't hate on this, the art style is too pretty and the action scenes are.... Decent. What do people see in this? What I can say is this much:

Please get better, please. Please. PLEEEEEEEEEEASE!

Edited by DuelGundam2099

This morning I started watching Casshern Sins and just got done with episode 6. Wow, this has to be one of the most boring anime I have seen in a while. I can understand they were trying to be different from the original series, but even the live action movie was more faithful than this (and that did not even have Friender). They reduced Casshern from one pretty awesome fighting android hero with the feeling of isolation into "I have no memory and I act so emo because I am hounded but I cannot die and I feel pain all the time". The scary part is that he's the best character, everyone else is just "we're dying we're dying and we will all die" with some thinking "if we kill Casshern we might be immortal!" which might have to do with his regenerative properties.... That are not explained yet. They also made Friender pretty vicious and without the Hellhound (his flamethrower); I can understand why they cut out vehicle transforming, but this.... I don't know. The lack of Braikking Boss also makes for rather lackluster use of villains, they just make all his opponents anti-heroes. What's with the moral ambiguity? It is not really a bad thing, but here it is REALLY over done, kind of like The Grapes of Wrath. Also the music is bland as hell.

Sadly I can't hate on this, the art style is too pretty and the action scenes are.... Decent. What do people see in this? What I can say is this much:

Please get better, please. Please. PLEEEEEEEEEEASE!

You don't really like anything, do you?

I really wanted to love Casshern Sins, but the whole ending went to complete and total sh!t. I loved the setup, and then it just felt like someone else took over and completely dropped the ball. But yeah, beautiful show regardless. I reccomend Ergo Proxy instead if you haven't seen that yet.

Edited by Keith

I really wanted to love Casshern Sins, but the whole ending went to complete and total sh!t. I loved the setup, and then it just felt like someone else took over and completely dropped the ball. But yeah, beautiful show regardless. I reccomend Ergo Proxy instead if you haven't seen that yet.

I've never before watched an anime that started out so strongly and ended so badly. They had a great setup and had no idea how to resolve it.

Edited by Duke Togo

I recently got halfway through Casshern Sins. Still boring as hell and still depressingly mopy while pretty. At least the fighting is (slowly) improving and the ending theme has grown on me a tad. Strange how episode 8 is so similar to episode 8 in the original series, a homage perhaps? If it is, that would indicate that someone in charge did see the old series and if so why the hell is he making this remake such decay? Tekkaman Blade never had this issue (then again it had it's own issues as it was). At least I am halfway done. I also watched Patlabor Minimum: Minipato to get it out of the way, I couldn't not find it in english so I had to see it subbed in russian while using the MAHQ reviews as a guide.

.... That place I once could go to and look upon. The yearn to return captivates me daily if not hourly as misery has the strength to conceal my heart. Once a place I could go to filled with delight and intellect is now but a conviction as to why I can never be happy, much like other places before it. As I wait, cold and alone, isolated and alienated from peers and friends of mine, you await the sweet release. Even if I save the world from the worst of mankind's nightmares I still would never be forgiven of a crime I never committed nor wanted to. Those days where you imagine a spinning piece of lead shredding your gums, skull, and cerebral tissue or respiration into a caustic air of the icide made for insects; the latter would be fitting as I was dubbed a quote nuisance unquote. Happy, I will miss this emotion dearly.

Anyway, Minipato continues the tradition of Patlabor executing horribly what most other anime have little effort doing correctly and with less effort. It was like a cheap version of Gunbuster's Science Lessons except with bad comedy. I also was displeased where the second episode said "all robot shows before us were just toy commercials that animators hated and Patlabor was made to write a new chapter!" Wow, way to insultingly oversimplify a genre AND think that being more realistic makes you the greatest franchise ever. Hilarious how this franchise virtually died out by the time the second ova series came out with a barely revived third movie and this. While there is a level of truth, that just came across as completely smug.

And yes Keith I will look into Ergo Proxy in the near future.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Whereas, I really enjoyed the ending. In fact, I couldn't imagine it ending any other way.

Watching Ikki Tousen currently.

Which reminds me, I still need to finish Dragon Destiny. Hopefully someone will pick up Great Guardians, and Extreme Executor. Finished watching NHK, and wow, that one hit a little close, awesome show though! :)

Edited by Keith

Which reminds me, I still need to finish Dragon Destiny. Hopefully someone will pick up Great Guardians, and Extreme Executor. Finished watching NHK, and wow, that one hit a little close, awesome show though! :)

Funimation has the rights to Great Guardians, and maybe Xtreme Xecutor. I have no idea what is taking so long to release it as the dub was apparently complete before Media Blasters gave up the rights to Ikki Tousen.

Anyways I'm currently watching original Aquarion(yeah um thanks guys), and Girls Bravo.

Just got up to 18 in Casshern Sins. On the plus side Braikking Boss is back and just as evil as ever. On the other hand:

-It is still boring overall

-Very little plot progression happens

-Leda turns psychotic in episode 17 for no reason

-Ringo officially makes my top 10 least favorite anime characters of all time

-Lyuze in ep 18.... Having sex with a human for no reason and then killing him.... WHAT!?

-Dune coming back in one ep for no real reason other than to die off for real and a couple flashbacks

Just six more episodes and I'll be done and no I don't care what the ending will have in stored. I would not be surprised if this originated as a bunch of rejected ideas for short films by 4C Studio, Tatsunoko bought the license to the ideas, slapped Casshern's name on it to make people forget about the live action movie, and made an anime out of it. I swear this series feels more like anime short films more than it does a remake of a classic sci-fi TV series. First Giant Robo, then Kikaider, and now Casshern? How the hell did Go Nagai's stuff survive decay like this- Oh wait he's Go Nagai, no one in the anime industry save maybe Shoji Kawamori compares to the guy.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Finished Demon King Daimao.

Good action and fights.

What's with all the hentai references?

Akuto collects girls like bees to honey.

Crazy and funny, but things are random and out of place. I mean, who the heck shot Korone???

Wait a minute, are you bashing the Giant Robo OVA, or the Giant Robo TV series they did after?

OVA, but unlike Kikaider and Casshern Sins they are much shorter in length and it has a good final fight so I can give it some slack.

That monorail also gives me the creeps. *shrivels*

I just finished Casshern Sins and before I go into epic rant mode I'll list parts I liked: Casshern and Friender being (somewhat) in character, Braikking Boss and his final battle with Casshern, the action was good at times, the first ending theme was decent, and the art style was good.

EVERYTHING ELSE HORRENDOUSLY SUCKED BAT TESTICLES THROUGH A STRAW. The "drama" was beyond melodramatic and dreadful due to the endless repetition, the theme of death was overused, the rest of the music was bad, characters did not know when to stay dead, the villains were abnormally stale (friggin' Nanoha did better in the villain department than anything Dio and Leda even tried! COMBINED!), the writing was subpar, the women went psychotic at times for no reason, Ringo being annoying as hell (top 6 worst anime characters? Oh yeah, THAT BAD), and that lack of explaining why Friender never rusted up like everyone else. Keep in mind I am not even touching on how badly Sins acts as an utter adaption rape from the old TV series from the 70s. Why the hell didn't Tatsunoko stop with Robot Hunter? This is also more of a pet peeve, but the dubbing kept mispronouncing Casshern's name (IT IS PRONOUNCED HARN, NOT URN! YOU MAKE IT SOUND LIKE HE IS AN URN FILLED WITH CASH!)!

Art style only gets you so far, I am going as far as saying this makes my top 5 least favorite anime, beating out the likes of f**king Ultimate Girls; do you have ANY idea how difficult it is for an anime that is not a magic girl series to be worse than TRAIN DICKS AND KAIJU TESTICLES!? It is borderline impossible to do it by accident!

This genuinely enrages me! As someone that enjoyed the original series I expected something GOOD out of this! I guess that was far too much to ask for.

Magi is a brilliant adventure story for all ages with great characters and an interesting story to boot. I can warmly recommend it.

Anyway, a lot of new anime are going to come out now that the spring season is beggining. I'm looking forward to 'Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet' (penned by Urobuchi who did Psycho Pass, Madoka and Fate Zero) and 'Attack on Titan'. I hope Crunchyroll comes through and gets the license for my region.

OVA, but unlike Kikaider and Casshern Sins they are much shorter in length and it has a good final fight so I can give it some slack.

That monorail also gives me the creeps. *shrivels*

I don't know what you watched, but the Giant Robo I watched was freakin' epic.