What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

I had a MANime weekend. Watched the Fist of the North Star movie and Cobra: Space Adventure. It's nice to see anime from a time where girls were actually drawn to be pretty. Both movies were very entertaining. The video quality was just amazing, except for the gory scenes in FotNS that for some reason were censored down to VHS-like quality.

I might have to double dip on some of these Discotek titles if the video quality is going to be this good (mainly wondering if I should replace my Venus Wars and Golgo 13 dvds).

Watched Mardock Scramble last night. Some pretty bleak stuff I have to say but I like the setting and the animation.

Arjuna was a mixed bag. Definitely not Kawamori's strongest series (its waaay to preachy on the save the earth stuff) but damn is the music good.

Since I'm carrying on with my Kawamori marathon I'm checking out Aquarion Evol. I didn't think too highly of the first Aquarion series, but have been told by someone I trust that this one is a clear improvement. Lets see if its true.

It is as though I am the only Aquarion fan ever. :(

Recently watched Kikaider The Animation, both the series and the 01 OVA. I'll give it credit for trying to be psychological, but compared to the old tokusatsu shows it just isn't as good or entertaining. Not to mention the ending in 01 was unnecessarily depressing.

It is as though I am the only Aquarion fan ever. :(

Recently watched Kikaider The Animation, both the series and the 01 OVA. I'll give it credit for trying to be psychological, but compared to the old tokusatsu shows it just isn't as good or entertaining. Not to mention the ending in 01 was unnecessarily depressing.

No, you're not. I actually enjoyed both Aquarion series. I even own one of the Soul of Chogokin toys from the first series.

No, you're not. I actually enjoyed both Aquarion series. I even own one of the Soul of Chogokin toys from the first series.

I also enjoyed Aquarion, even if there were a few too many trianing episodes. F%cking epic ending, and some of the best Gattai around. I can't wait to see the new series, of course I still haven't seen the OVA/Movie.

For those keeping up with Psycho-Pass, things are getting very intense. The penultimate episode was epic to say the least. For those who haven't checked it out yet, I urge you to ATLEAST try the first episode of psycho-pass, as it's becoming one of my favorite series of anime so far.

For those keeping up with Psycho-Pass, things are getting very intense. The penultimate episode was epic to say the least. For those who haven't checked it out yet, I urge you to ATLEAST try the first episode of psycho-pass, as it's becoming one of my favorite series of anime so far.

It's definitely one of the best series of the last couple of seasons. This last episode was pretty dramatic,

I teared up when the old detective died. The final mano a mano between Kagishima and Kougami is going to be intense stuff, and I get the feeling that Akane is going to end up killing Kougami

I'm certainly going to buy this when it comes out in BD.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I really liked that old detective, and it was nice to see Ginoza and him reconcile before he died. I'm thinking Ginoza will play a much larger part in the final episode as well, if anything, for revenge. We may even see him become a latent criminal.

To be honest though, I was really hoping the ending of Psycho Pass wouldn't come down to a fight between Kogami and Makishima, but rather, some form of fight to take down Sibyl instead. From my perspective, it isn't Makishima who is the real enemy, but the system in and of itself. Episode 1 is a good indicator of that, if anything.

I've got the same box, but I've reversed all my covers!

yeah, i thought about doing that once... didn't look right to me, though...

"CLANNAD" was the last Anime i watched, maybe a couple months back, and, while very good in many respects,

it was ultimately disappointing, too many things that could have been written better, IMHO...

Edited by Shaorin

Going for another round of TTGL!

I'm gonna wait for the bluray.

yeah, i thought about doing that once... didn't look right to me, though...

"CLANNAD" was the last Anime i watched, maybe a couple months back, and, while very good in many respects,

it was ultimately disappointing, too many things that could have been written better, IMHO...

Did you watch after story? If not, then it's not over yet. Just skip that awful movie.

Just skip that awful movie.

OH!! don't even get me started on that!!!! :angry:

i have a malaysian boot set that contained the entire CLANNAD saga, T.V. series, after story, OVAs and movie, and i've seen it all.

indeed, that movie was a DISASTER.. an attempt at retelling the T.V. story in a VERY shitty way, to be quite sure.

i haven't the faintest what the hell the staff for that turd was thinking.

on second thought, i've a pretty good idea, after all; the CLANNAD movie was a TOEI production,

and it does indeed bear an UNCANNY resemblance to another of their works of around that same era,

the "Mamotte Shugogetten" OVA series.

indeed, character design in the CLANNAD movie bears a striking similarity to the Minene Sakurano chara design of Shugogetten.

so much so, that Nagisa, lead female chara of CLANNAD, as depicted in the movie,

is aN ACTUAL dead physical ringer for "Shaorin" the lead female protagonist of the Shugogetten Manga/Anime,

and the overall story treatment and atmosphere of the movie quite strongly resembles that

of the late-1990's Shugogetten T.V. series (and allegedly the early-2000's OVA as well, )

that established, i'd say with certainty that TOEI ANIMATION was the absolute WORST production house

that Visual Art's/Key could have possibly chosen to produce that gawdawful theatrical movie treatment, YMMV,

a serious blemish on what should have been an incredibly emotional heartfelt series, start to finish...

Edited by Shaorin

Blue Submarine Number 6 is okay, but Fafner is really cool. Yeah, pacing and music flipflops/is mediocre, but it has good action. The movie on the other hand, f**k, if they cut out Canon's bounce animations it could have easily been one of the greatest anime in history. Hell, it still made my top 25.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

I just finished Bodacious Space Pirates. As expected it was pretty fun, with plenty of nods to things that have come before, and OMFG Chiaki should have her own damn show / movie. Next up? Not sure, maybe Welcome to the NHK.

just finished Black Lagoon and 2nd Barrage and it was so much fun, particularly the aptly titled Roanapur Freakshow and the couple of episodes leading up to it. for some reason, none of the synopsis/descriptions i've read on anime sites managed to pique my interest for Black Lagoon. good thing i decided to give it a go after sitting on the DVDs for a couple of years. i don't know what people were talking about Black Lagoon being very dark though. Psycho-pass is far darker despite the lower body count.

Blood+ was also great, though there were some repetitive, melodramatic moments. on the fence about buying Blood-C series as it's had mixed reviews. or maybe i'm confusing with the Blood-C OVA?

Saw a couple of episodes of Muvluv Alternative: Total Eclipse. not sure if i want to continue. it seems to be trying too hard.

WTH! nearly the entire cast wiped out in just 2 episodes?!

Regarding Black Lagoon, there's also a 5-part OVA set after the 2nd season.

It's a follow-up story which brings back Roberta the Maid.

The overall series may not be the darkest thing around, but ya gotta admit that the arc with the Romanian twins was some pretty messed up stuff.

just finished Black Lagoon and 2nd Barrage and it was so much fun, particularly the aptly titled Roanapur Freakshow and the couple of episodes leading up to it. for some reason, none of the synopsis/descriptions i've read on anime sites managed to pique my interest for Black Lagoon. good thing i decided to give it a go after sitting on the DVDs for a couple of years. i don't know what people were talking about Black Lagoon being very dark though. Psycho-pass is far darker despite the lower body count.

Blood+ was also great, though there were some repetitive, melodramatic moments. on the fence about buying Blood-C series as it's had mixed reviews. or maybe i'm confusing with the Blood-C OVA?

Saw a couple of episodes of Muvluv Alternative: Total Eclipse. not sure if i want to continue. it seems to be trying too hard.

WTH! nearly the entire cast wiped out in just 2 episodes?!

Regarding Muv Luv, the first couple of episodes are unfortunately nothing like the rest of the series which is all over the place in content and animation quality. There's some very good episodes, focused on the development and trials of weaponry for a new mecha; but some others fall completely into the typical cliches (gratuitous beach swimsuit episode). It's a fun watch, just don't expect any depth/quality whatsoever.

And Black Lagoon is awesome. Rei Hiroe is back to writing to writing the manga after a 2 year hiatus, so if we're lucky we might get some more animation out of it.

thanks for the heads up on roberta. and i do hope we get a 3rd barrage.

yeah, the romanian twins were pretty messed up, but the show only briefly touched on how they got to be that way. if the director really wanted to go for a dark treatment, he would've done more exposition on how the twins were "broken". but don't get me wrong, i like the tone of the series just as it is. call me jaded, but i consider it a light entertaining treatment of a dark subject. kinda like Black Lagoon = Pulp Fiction, and Psycho-pass = Seven.

i don't mind some beach scenes :D so i'll probably continue with Muvluv until that episode then decide if i want to finish it or not

Psycho Pass

Alright, am I the only one that was super disappointed with that conclusion. Great, I get it, it's a cycle, but still, I feel like they wasted a huge opportunity to end with a bang. Kogami shoots Makishima, we get a little monologue with Akane in her mature mode, and then.....nothing...

No gut wrenchers, no heart wrenchers, not even a fairly dramatic conclusion....

I feel like nothing has really been accomplished in the 22 episode series, save for a slight team change. Maybe that's just me though. I think this sour conclusion really killed an amazing series for me :(

Psycho Pass

Alright, am I the only one that was super disappointed with that conclusion. Great, I get it, it's a cycle, but still, I feel like they wasted a huge opportunity to end with a bang. Kogami shoots Makishima, we get a little monologue with Akane in her mature mode, and then.....nothing...

I feel like nothing has really been accomplished in the 22 episode series, save for a slight team change. Maybe that's just me though. I think this sour conclusion really killed an amazing series for me :(

I don't think that was their intention. It looks to me that they were trying to get the audience to engage in a dialog rather than trying to hammer a point home. If they'd been going for the latter, then your kind of conclusion would have been great, but would absolutely not work for the former.

That said, I think it would be interesting to see a follow-up set some years later to find out how Akane is dealing with the faustian bargain she's made with the system, but again, it's out of character with what I think they were going for.

Coincidently, I also happened to finish Real Drive this week as well (the other post-GitS:SAC Production I.G. cyberpunk series). It was a fun show and I really like the characters (great design esthetic as well), but defiitely not something you can think too much about without breaking everything. A sharp contrast to Psycho-Pass, because they did try to go for the big emotional ending in RD as opposed to being thought provoking. A definite showing in how much better writing can really make a difference. I'm curious how much Shirow really had to do with RD.

Psycho Pass

I think Urobuchi was gunning for this kind of ending from the beggining.

Very much in the vein of "a bad peace is better than a good war", Akane's bargain with the Sybil System hammers home the point about how despite all its faults, the system is able to adapt and improve, and does provide a high level of welfare for its citizens. Not much of a dramatic ending to be sure, but very much in line with what had been discussed amongst some characters for a while. And I don't know if you watched the credits all the way to the ending, but Kougami is shown to be alive and well and they leave things open for a second season. Maybe we get one depending on sales?

I think Urobuchi was gunning for this kind of ending from the beggining.

Very much in the vein of "a bad peace is better than a good war", Akane's bargain with the Sybil System hammers home the point about how despite all its faults, the system is able to adapt and improve, and does provide a high level of welfare for its citizens. Not much of a dramatic ending to be sure, but very much in line with what had been discussed amongst some characters for a while. And I don't know if you watched the credits all the way to the ending, but Kougami is shown to be alive and well and they leave things open for a second season. Maybe we get one depending on sales?

Yep, I saw that, and yeah, we might. Some other indicators include the *theory* that Professor Saiga was shown to be discussing with the Sibly woman in her office during the credits (a man with a scarf, who else could it be?), and that the new inspector is actually the survivor from that incident at the all-female academy.

Now that I've digested it, I think I can appreciate the ending a bit more, but I really would have liked it to have been splayed out a little more, for pure entertainment value.