What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Why couldn't Rayearth be more like this? Oh yeah, Clamp.

1993 vs 1999

TV vs OAV

Even though Rayearth had mecha, I would hardly classify Rayearth as a mecha anime. CLAMP just isn't a mecha studio. Not really comparable.

But I will be checking out Dangaizer 3, thanks for the reccomendation. I usually don't bother with stuff that sounds like some third sequel to some ancient colorful pre-Gundam samurai-ish mech anime. (Thought it was)

Clamp in general just doesn't make anything entertaining, just girly junk that barely has anything worth an attention span's worth of time. If you're going to watch Dangaizer be warned that the ending is extremely abrupt.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Clamp in general just doesn't make anything entertaining, just girly junk that barely has anything worth an attention span's worth of time. If you're going to watch Dangaizer be warned that the ending is extremely abrupt.

Personally, I love CLAMP. Yes, they do shows about characters that involve emotions. AKA those CLAMP girls do girly stuff.

Yep, it's not for everyone. To each his own.

Looks like the piloting outfits are also extremely abrupt:

NSFW

dangaizer2-41.jpg

As close to NSFW as you can get without technically being NSFW...

Not sure if I will be able to take this seriously, but thanks again for the short review XD

just watched first dozen or so episodes of Soul Eater and enjoying it.

i just love it when i chance upon an anime not on my radar and end up liking it.

That show is awesome and funny...like how Tsubaki has to put up with Black Star's overblown ego and Death the Kid's obsessive compulsive disorder with symmetry.

Normally I don't double post in anime watching topics but I need to blow off some steam and in two parts:

Part A: I started my descent into the infamous Clamp franchise X on Sunday night through their music video and prequel OVA before taking on the infamous movie version Monday morning. They were kind of boring although X is kind of like Alone in The Dark by Uwe Boll, while it is bad it is not to the point that people make it out to be. I want to say that something from Clamp was the worst thing I've seen this week, boy howdy was I WRONG.

Part B: Mobile Police Patlabor, specifically the original OVA series. F**K, I have seen some pretty deplorable excuses for anime series, but THIS.... I heard so many good things coming from it (or at least the series), how it had a strong female lead and how the mecha were super realistic and scientific and whatnot. I was expecting a silly cop series, but what I got was shallow jokes, a bland cast, far too much dialogue, mediocre music, too much build up to events that have virtually little payoff, and aside from the AL-97 Atlas and maybe the KV-98 Pickle had no mecha worth standing out. I know I give a ton of crap about Rayearth (series and OVA), Goldran, Macross Plus, and to lesser extents Wings of Rean and Gundam 0080; but at the very least, despite their faults, they were engaging. Maybe not all the time, but they had moments that were memorable and I was willing to pay attention. This? I got nothing. I genuinely wanted to enjoy the series that launched mecha anime I liked such as Full Metal Panic, J-Decker, and Viper's Creed. No real charming moments, nothing really engaging, a lack of genuine suspense, an inability to care. It was nothing. I'll give it props for having a mutant with some kaiju homages in episode 3, but other than that, well, f**k. I tried to enjoy it, but I simply couldn't! Maybe the movies and series will be a step up.

Regardless, the original Patlabor has to be, without a doubt in my mind, the worst mecha anime I have ever seen. It is still above some of the worst anime I've seen period, but for this genre specifically? I have yet to find anything worse. The only good thing about it is that it had no fan service.

AND PEOPLE LIKE IT! WHAT AM I MISSING!?

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Fullmetal Alchemist,,,, VERY good thus far, just on the first series

bought

Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22

Watched Bubblegum Crisis,, Tokyo,, not bad and may watch the other ones,, anyone have any takes?

Part B: Mobile Police Patlabor, specifically the original OVA series. F**K, I have seen some pretty deplorable excuses for anime series, but THIS.... I heard so many good things coming from it (or at least the series), how it had a strong female lead and how the mecha were super realistic and scientific and whatnot. I was expecting a silly cop series, but what I got was shallow jokes, a bland cast, far too much dialogue, mediocre music, too much build up to events that have virtually little payoff, and aside from the AL-97 Atlas and maybe the KV-98 Pickle had no mecha worth standing out. I know I give a ton of crap about Rayearth (series and OVA), Goldran, Macross Plus, and to lesser extents Wings of Rean and Gundam 0080; but at the very least, despite their faults, they were engaging. Maybe not all the time, but they had moments that were memorable and I was willing to pay attention. This? I got nothing. I genuinely wanted to enjoy the series that launched mecha anime I liked such as Full Metal Panic, J-Decker, and Viper's Creed. No real charming moments, nothing really engaging, a lack of genuine suspense, an inability to care. It was nothing. I'll give it props for having a mutant with some kaiju homages in episode 3, but other than that, well, f**k. I tried to enjoy it, but I simply couldn't! Maybe the movies and series will be a step up.

Regardless, the original Patlabor has to be, without a doubt in my mind, the worst mecha anime I have ever seen. It is still above some of the worst anime I've seen period, but for this genre specifically? I have yet to find anything worse. The only good thing about it is that it had no fan service.

AND PEOPLE LIKE IT! WHAT AM I MISSING!?

I think you're just coming in from the wrong angle. If you go into this show expecting it to be an action packed or drama & emotion filled robot anime (a la Macross or Gundam), I wouldn't be surprised if you find it boring. Patlabor is more of a slice-of-life police drama than it is a "robot combat" anime.

Edited by Vifam7

. Patlabor is more of a slice-of-life police drama than it is a "robot combat" anime.

This.

Patlabor (at least the TV series and the OVA) are more about the tedium of daily life in a police unit, occasionally interrupted by a call to action. This is specially so in the TV series were there are entire chapters devoted to random subjects like finding spare parts, locating a restaurant that will deliver to their remote HQ, or growing their own foodstuffs in the backyard of their HQ.

Watching Arjuna and I have to say it's a mixed bag. The soundtrack as Gubaba had said, is amazing (no surprises as its Yoko Kanno), the story is actually quite good fro the most part and Arjuna herself is a relatable protagonist. But the series is extreeemely preachy about subjects like the environment and vegetarianism. I agree with most of the views espoused in it, but I think it would have benefited from a more "show, don't tell approach" when it comes to its subject matter.

This.

Patlabor (at least the TV series and the OVA) are more about the tedium of daily life in a police unit, occasionally interrupted by a call to action. This is specially so in the TV series were there are entire chapters devoted to random subjects like finding spare parts, locating a restaurant that will deliver to their remote HQ, or growing their own foodstuffs in the backyard of their HQ.

Watching Arjuna and I have to say it's a mixed bag. The soundtrack as Gubaba had said, is amazing (no surprises as its Yoko Kanno), the story is actually quite good fro the most part and Arjuna herself is a relatable protagonist. But the series is extreeemely preachy about subjects like the environment and vegetarianism. I agree with most of the views espoused in it, but I think it would have benefited from a more "show, don't tell approach" when it comes to its subject matter.

Patlabor is like the M.A.S.H. of giant robot anime. It's a great character driven show that does a really good job of moving back and forth between commedy and drama. Just don't watch it if you want a combat-oriented war story.

Love the Arjuna soundtracks and still listen to them regularly. Didn't like the show though. Too preachy (as you said) and some really bad science.

Fullmetal Alchemist,,,, VERY good thus far, just on the first series

Re: the second series.... I couldn't stand FMA Brotherhood. It was like a "Treat" for the hard core manga reader. It's super faithful to the manga... and in this case it's a terrible thing.

Combat was done almost entirely in chibi form and a dust cloud. I could not take it seriously. And as a non-fan of FMA (I just mildly enjoy it) there was nothing for me in Brotherhood, they basically skip to "good parts" and skip all development and backstory they had in the original series.

---

Patlabor: Just not my thing. If I want to watch a cop drama (no!), there are enough live action ones that are way more interesting.

Edited by Kaldar5

The only thing glanced over in Brotherhood were plots already covered in the first series. Once that was out of the way, Brotherhood trampled the first series underfoot. The first series just ran too far on tangents once they ran out of story.

Last night I watched some one shot ova called Dark Cat. Man was the editing weird and very low budget; it also looked very hentai-ish. I also marathoned through Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt and just finished it. I was expecting to hate this and while the overload of fan service was annoying along with the music, I surprisingly did not hate it. I thought it was decent: Good action, good monsters of the week, good comedy, the characters did not annoy me, and I think it is silly that people call the ending to the last episode a "troll" ending. It was more random than anything else and it fit the rest of the series, why the hell did people complain so badly- Oh yeah, it is Gainax, and people are under the delusion that their endings are incredibly bittersweet and bad. Also it didn't feel like a western cartoon as much as it did Gurren Lagann with a small budget.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Watching season 4 of Bleach. Nice surprise with Nel's past, as well as those of Hiyori and and Shinji.

Not sure what's up with the constant interruptions of the current plot to show the characters' origins. Not boring or anything, but kind of awkward given the timing.

I recently finished L.Gaim: Full Metal Soldier, officially marking that I have watched every Tomino mecha anime save for the Xabungle compilation movie. I swear, Tomino gets too much flak over nothing. Anyway, very enjoyable action and music from this ova, it easily could have made the series better. B))

Never heard of it, sounds like toxic chocolate though.

Mahoromatic is a Wandafuru series, so says i... :wub:

MahoromaticCollectionSet4-14-121.jpg

any recommendations on anime that have been released on bluray?

i'm

slightly more interested in older anime that made their way to bluray

(eg. Cowboy Bebop), but i don't mind more recent anime either.

who cares if something has made it to BRD. just about any Anime looks and sounds good enough on DVD, and can usually be had far cheaper too...

I

think you're just coming in from the wrong angle. If you go into this

show expecting it to be an action packed or drama & emotion filled

robot anime (a la Macross or Gundam), I wouldn't be surprised if you

find it boring. Patlabor is more of a slice-of-life police drama than

it is a "robot combat" anime.

and a damned fine one at that. i need to get around to getting the series on DVD...

Edited by Shaorin

who cares if something has made it to BRD. just about any Anime looks and sounds good enough on DVD, and can usually be had far cheaper too...

well apparently i do, else i wouldn't be asking. i know you have a thing for retro equipment and i can relate to that with regards to analog audio gear, but not when it comes to video. not all DVD sources upscale well to a 55" screen. so what may be good enough for you, may not be so for some.

well apparently i do, else i wouldn't be asking. i know you have a thing for retro equipment and i can relate to that with regards to analog audio gear, but not when it comes to video. not all DVD sources upscale well to a 55" screen. so what may be good enough for you, may not be so for some.

'kay, that was uncalled for on my part, i apologize...

Edited by Shaorin

Mahoromatic is a Wandafuru series, so says i... :wub:

I have just watched 1-2 episodes of it.... I mean I want to like it, but the insane amount of annoying fanservice from the teacher character was just crazy. Wasn't even fanservice any character in the show wanted to see. Obaba Sensei. Normal fanservice is a good thing though.
Should I give Mahoromatic another try?

And thanks for not posting any unnecessary pics in this post. :D

You still on about that? :rolleyes:

Edited by Kaldar5

I just watched the second Patlabor movie. Do you not just love it when a movie is essentially a well thought out military conspiracy story for the first third with well done visuals and then spends the rest of it's time jumping around scenes building up toward some civil war that never amounts to anything and finishes with a mediocre climax? That is this, wow Patlabor way to disappoint again! At least it was better than the last movie even if most of it is for the art style and having a solid beginning.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Watching Boku wa Tomodachi Sukunai.

Actually really entertaining for a comedy with some borderline hentai material. And that Rika girl is just a hentai/mecha freak. :blink: I will never see Gundam/Evangelion in the same light again after her interpretation.

'kay, that was uncalled for on my part, i apologize...

hey, don't sweat it

I just started Psych Pass, since it was on Hulu plus. So awesome so far, very Minority Report-esque

glad you like it. i'm not sure how popular it is, but i get the impression it's flying under the radar for most. at first i also thought it took from Minority Report but later the show just explored a lot more territory than MR touched on or even hinted at. i'm really amazed at how they fleshed out this future world and really thought through the logic and implications of nascent technologies on society, both in broad strokes and daily life minutiae.

Watching my Garden Of Sinners movies again. Still keeping an eye on the upcoming Tsukhimie re-make aswell.

Also been watching a few episodes of Squid Girl now and then,show is quite funny.

GoS was the first anime i saw which i thought was really deserving of 1080p. i think i'll go re-watch it too