What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

So much (unwarranted) hate towards Macross II. >_>

allow me to add to the do not watch E7 AO list. action is okay. mecha design is meh. moe, low iq characters. and the main character nevre moves beyond emo and whiny renton of the first series. in short i have no desire currently to finish the series.

take Martian Successor Nadesico. remove large chunks of story. take away 99.8% of the humor.take all mecha designs and make them all rejected variants of nirvash. add a splash of rtsc and you will have Eureka 7 AO.

It's that bad, huh? Yikes.

---

So I watched the first two parts of Mardock Scramble. While I really enjoy and dig the cyberpunk setting...I find the premise of the show offensive and disturbing. I've seen some pretty twisted/offensive anime (Elfen Lied for example)...but I think this might take the cake.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished watching Gun X Sword. It starts off pretty average and feels like a Trigun knockoff but the second half of the series is pretty good. And it has some nice looking mecha too (as well as the most aggravating antagonists you'll ever see).

Psycho Pass continues delivering my cyberpunk fix until Ghost in the Shell Arise comes out.

Have a couple of oldies waiting for me: Arjuna or Infinite Ryvius. What would you guys watch first?

Viz is making a killing off of me right now with Bleach. I actually managed to get my Wife hooked that hated anime on it. Other then that I have been watching The Last Exile.

I have managed to also hook my 3 yr old onto Macross. We have been watching an episode everynight and playing with my 1/55's together. He is starting to get the hang out of changing the modes between fighter and battloid but thinks the gerwalk mode is "Not cool" WTH!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to go with Infinite Ryvius instead of Arjuna and I love the setting (God how I wish they made more sci-fi like this nowadays) and story up till episde 4 at the least. On the downside, even though its from 1999 the character designs look really old and sketchy. And it seems that there's gonna be bucketloads of teenage angst before the story is over. Digging it though.

I've been watching High School of the Dead and while I enjoy it the fan service is overdone. I don't mind the designs but not every action has to result in a tit bounce. Other than that I dig the story.

I'll never understand people who complain about fanservice. Especially when there''s a good show to back it up.

Currently rewatching Scrapped Princess. I still can't believe how bad Bandai dropped the ball with this show by not promoting it. This is a show that should be on Toonami not garbage like Deadman Wonderland, or shows that have already been done to death. The story is great, the dub is amazing, but above all the character designs and the animation levels are stunning.

I've been enjoying the new show, Tamako Market. It's a complete 180 from the two fairly dark shows, Psycho-pass and From the New World that. I've been watching. I totally love the talking bird, Dera Mochimazzi, who's played by the same voice actor that played Isamu in M+.

Currently rewatching Scrapped Princess. I still can't believe how bad Bandai dropped the ball with this show by not promoting it. This is a show that should be on Toonami not garbage like Deadman Wonderland, or shows that have already been done to death. The story is great, the dub is amazing, but above all the character designs and the animation levels are stunning.

If Bandai can drop the ball with Gundam, there's pretty much no hope for Scrapped Princess.

I'm halfway through Infinite Ryvius and can definitely, definitely recommend it to my fellow MW'ers. "Lord of the Flies meets Macross" is what I can come up with if I had to describe it in six words.

I'm halfway through Infinite Ryvius and can definitely, definitely recommend it to my fellow MW'ers. "Lord of the Flies meets Macross" is what I can come up with if I had to describe it in six words.

I enjoyed IR and completely agree with the lord of the flies comparison - reviewed it here: http://dubsub.blogspot.com/2011/01/review-infinite-ryvius.html

Just bought Getter Robo Armageddon for $5.99 at moviestop. Not too familiar with the Go Nagai stuff but for the price I will give it a shot.

Getter Robo Armageddon was awesome. Just full-throttle action with robots smashing each other and monsters the whole way.

Cool, thanks for the recommendation on Scrapped Princess. I've had the collection on my shelf for awhile and will actually watch it.

I got to watch the short series Kurage Hime recently and it is filled with great moments of comedy

I've also seen "Brave Story" which is an EPIC anime. At the beginning I thought it moved slowly and felt quite generic but when it suddenly takes off it keeps getting better and better to a breathtaking finale.

and I also watched Summer Wars which was 7 kinds of awesome, now I need to see Hosoda's previous movie "The girl who lept through time"

So much (unwarranted) hate towards Macross II. >_>

I know right? I enjoyed quite a bit!

Not too familiar with the Go Nagai stuff

That guy and his works are incredible, if it is one thing you can count on Go Nagai on it is that regardless of the language he can communicate his story and it's messages very visually so very little is lost in translation. That and the guy knows how to please action hounds like myself.

Anyway I've been watching Nadia over the past week and am up to episode 9. Good music, but other than that it is pretty boring. I cannot say I am not dissapointed that they have been building up for sea monsters and there has been nothing of the sort.

just caught up with Psycho-pass after they took a holiday break.

man, just when i thought it was rushing towards a premature ending they pull off what seems to be the start of a penultimate arc. bring it on!

the BGM has also come to the fore. if you can imagine Noir and ZoE muxed with a splash of Vangelis and a hint of Homeworld. not to mention some of the best OPs and EDs i've heard in a while.

amazing.

i'm starting not to care if GitS:Arise will suck or not.

I know right? I enjoyed quite a bit!

That guy and his works are incredible, if it is one thing you can count on Go Nagai on it is that regardless of the language he can communicate his story and it's messages very visually so very little is lost in translation. That and the guy knows how to please action hounds like myself.

Anyway I've been watching Nadia over the past week and am up to episode 9. Good music, but other than that it is pretty boring. I cannot say I am not dissapointed that they have been building up for sea monsters and there has been nothing of the sort.

Stick with it, then trudge through the island episodes, then COMPLETELY SKIP THE AFRICA EPISODES, then the sweet sweet pay-off.

I'm too much of a completist. Besides if I can trek through trash like Nanoha, Mai-Hime, Kampfer, Madoka Magica, Utena, Rayearth, and Ultimate Girls some mere filler will not stop me. I will say this: At least it is being more entertaining than Kamen Rider Faiz.

No, you don't understand, the Africa episodes aren't filler, they're a crime against nature. The only thing worse is the "movie."

just caught up with Psycho-pass after they took a holiday break.

man, just when i thought it was rushing towards a premature ending they pull off what seems to be the start of a penultimate arc. bring it on!

the BGM has also come to the fore. if you can imagine Noir and ZoE muxed with a splash of Vangelis and a hint of Homeworld. not to mention some of the best OPs and EDs i've heard in a while.

amazing.

i'm starting not to care if GitS:Arise will suck or not.

The last couple of episodes of Psycho-pass have been nothing short of amazing. Shame there's only 5 left.

I am now up to date with the Rebuild of Evangelion movies and ready for a non camrip 3.0. The only thing that dissappointed me was Mari Makinami Illustrious. I thought her character was going to be developed more over the course of the second film, instead of just popping out of nowhere doing crazy stuff. She's hot, but that's probably all I can say about her.

So far, I think Mana Kirishima has had more character development when it comes to new girls introduced to the franchise, and she was only in the dating sims (and the accompanying manga to one of them).

Edited by Einherjar

I'm keeping up with "Kotoura-san". I'm liking it so far, episode 6 just aired. I recommend subs from [HorribleSubs]

Tags: Non-harem relationship show, comedy, tragedy

Basic idea: girl is an uncontrolled mind reader from birth. This sucks majorly when no one can keep a secret from you, and everyone continually unconsciously voices their opinion of you, and you can never shut it out.

Show does an incredibly good job of balancing tragedy and comedy - and somehow manages to be great at both.

Megumi Nakajima does the OP.

Don't let the super catchy OP fool ya, show is dark at times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHdU5gi8I8o

Edited by Kaldar5

so a day later i'm still thinking about Requiem for the Phantom.

did some googling and it turns out the ending stirred up quite a bit of discussion.

also learned that it was actually an anime adaptation of an eroge game. while that didn't strike me as a complete surprise, given the character designs and some of the scenes, i'm surprised the game was a PS2 release. i've always thought eroge were strictly PC. what also surprised me was that Phantom was a fairly recent anime yet completely flew under my radar.

i ended up starting to rewatch Noir since Phantom rekindled my assassin fixation. any recommendations on recent (as in 2-3 years) assassin-related animes? already watched Canaan, El Cazador and Black Lagoon are already on my watch list.

so a day later i'm still thinking about Requiem for the Phantom.

did some googling and it turns out the ending stirred up quite a bit of discussion.

also learned that it was actually an anime adaptation of an eroge game. while that didn't strike me as a complete surprise, given the character designs and some of the scenes, i'm surprised the game was a PS2 release. i've always thought eroge were strictly PC. what also surprised me was that Phantom was a fairly recent anime yet completely flew under my radar.

i ended up starting to rewatch Noir since Phantom rekindled my assassin fixation. any recommendations on recent (as in 2-3 years) assassin-related animes? already watched Canaan, El Cazador and Black Lagoon are already on my watch list.

There's always Madlax or oldschool Golgo 13.