What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

episode 2 of Psych-Pass continues to impress. i thought the BGM was interesting so i looked it up. music is credited to Yugo Kanno. i wonder if there's any relation to Yoko.

the animation is really beautiful. not quite Kara no Kyoukai, but it's up there. perhaps the only thing that puts me off is their use of cutesy holo-suits. but then again GitS had tachikomas so i suppose it's alright, perhaps just their way to balance off the serious tone.

If I remember correctly a couple of the toys ended up being released in the original G1 transformers line, alongside Microman, Diaclone, macross, and what ever company originally put out Omega Supreme, and Shockwave.

Yes, they were. I do remember seeing them in my local KB toystore in the mid-80s

perhaps the only thing that puts me off is their use of cutesy holo-suits. but then again GitS had tachikomas so i suppose it's alright, perhaps just their way to balance off the serious tone.

I thought those suits were silly at first too. But then I began to realize that a silly cute robot would help to break down someone's damaged mental state.

• 2 weeks later...

I never got to finish Super Dimensional Century Orguss. Now on the hunt...

I'm trying to get Discotek Media to get the rights to it. Odds are pretty good for it considering they just liscensed the original Mazinger series. Feel free to drop by their facebook page to lend another voice to the cause. They actually seem to listen to requests which is why we got Madbull 34 and Venus Wars dvds.

I'm trying to get Discotek Media to get the rights to it. Odds are pretty good for it considering they just liscensed the original Mazinger series. Feel free to drop by their facebook page to lend another voice to the cause. They actually seem to listen to requests which is why we got Madbull 34 and Venus Wars dvds.

Ooh, I'd love to have a Orguss series in a proper box with english subtitles (have it with Spanish subtitles and the mindboggling bootleg Honk Kong version were the randomness of the subtitles has to be seen to believed). Do you know if Diskotek Media accepts request outside of Facebook?

On my front, I've just finished Detroit Metal City. One of the funniest, most vulgar yet awesome series I have ever seen. It's basically the story of a teenage musician who arrives in Tokyo to pursue a career as a light pop artist. Unfortunately for him, no one is interested in his music, and in order to make a living, he becomes the frontman of a Death Metal band called "Detroit Metal City" or DMC for short. His DMC persona called Johannes Krauser II, is a legend in the metal underground and is based on the exploits of metal legends like King Diamond, Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne. If you want to watch some comedy anime that's 'moe' free, I can really recommend DMC.

Clicked on a Toyota commercial with Doraemon, but WTF happened to Doraemon??? :blink:

That's hilarious!

I never got to finish Super Dimensional Century Orguss. Now on the hunt...

It'd be pretty tough to find, but there was a very small official DVD-R run a few years ago. The subtitles are "mostly" great (...moo....), and a lot of the pressings had some problems. But if you can find it, consider yourself lucky.

Ooh, I'd love to have a Orguss series in a proper box with english subtitles (have it with Spanish subtitles and the mindboggling bootleg Honk Kong version were the randomness of the subtitles has to be seen to believed). Do you know if Diskotek Media accepts request outside of Facebook?

On my front, I've just finished Detroit Metal City. One of the funniest, most vulgar yet awesome series I have ever seen. It's basically the story of a teenage musician who arrives in Tokyo to pursue a career as a light pop artist. Unfortunately for him, no one is interested in his music, and in order to make a living, he becomes the frontman of a Death Metal band called "Detroit Metal City" or DMC for short. His DMC persona called Johannes Krauser II, is a legend in the metal underground and is based on the exploits of metal legends like King Diamond, Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne. If you want to watch some comedy anime that's 'moe' free, I can really recommend DMC.

\

I've already seen the live action movie, and recently picked up the series. I'll probably start it after Durarara!!

They have the usual "contact us" form on their website.

It'd be pretty tough to find, but there was a very small official DVD-R run a few years ago. The subtitles are "mostly" great (...moo....), and a lot of the pressings had some problems. But if you can find it, consider yourself lucky.

ImaginAsian was the group that released Orguss on DVD in the US. I have the entire set, but have yet to watch it. I just hope that I don't have any of the problem discs, especially considering how long I've owned the set for!

ImaginAsian was the group that released Orguss on DVD in the US. I have the entire set, but have yet to watch it. I just hope that I don't have any of the problem discs, especially considering how long I've owned the set for!

At this point it'd be a moot issue if you did get a bad burn, but did you buy the complete release, or did you grab the individual discs?

• 2 weeks later...

Aabout half a year ago I finished watching Turn A Gundam which was very good IMO. Having seen all of Tomino's Gundam and Ideon, I wanted to check out some of his other stuff while doing my all of Macross anniversary rewatch, and I picked up Overman King Gainer.

I've just watched one episode so far and I was a bit confused, since they jumped straight into the plot and its hard to keep track of the characters. But I hope it gets cleared up.

On the other hand, the mecha designs are quite original, specially the Overman that has rasta like hair (it actually fulfills a combat role!). And there's a virtual singer that IMO was directly inspired by Sharon Apple herself which I appreciated.

Finished my run of Mospeada(have not watched the whole show since the 2nd viewing after I got the DVD set...)

Now onto Southern Cross(which I only watched all the way through once)

Then I will get back into some Votoms with Armor Hunter Mellowlink.

Tora Dora a good comedy. Recommend worth watching.

Currently watching Angel Beats. This is an interesting show so far. Otonashi wakes up in a world where students from a high school are in battle with an angel who is also the school council president. He also lost his memory of who is was before. This show has some freakin bloody battles!!! :blink:

I recommend the live action version of DMC movie. You wrote Krauser-san is like Gene Simmons before you know it. Gene Simmons really appears in the movie as a metal legend! lololol

Wow. What a coincidence. :lol:

Edited by antibiotictab

I recommend the live action version of DMC movie. You wrote Krauser-san is like Gene Simmons before you know it. Gene Simmons really appears in the movie as a metal legend! lololol

Wow. What a coincidence. :lol:

I'll be sure to track it down. The Gene Simmons cameo must be seen!

On my end I'm still watching the very weird Overman King Gainer. It's like a mix between Orguss and ZZ Gundam with all the unexplicable side switching and angsty teens that one can expect from a Tomino production.

I'll be sure to track it down. The Gene Simmons cameo must be seen!

On my end I'm still watching the very weird Overman King Gainer. It's like a mix between Orguss and ZZ Gundam with all the unexplicable side switching and angsty teens that one can expect from a Tomino production.

I'm still confused wether I like Overman King Gainer or not.... @_@

I'm still confused wether I like Overman King Gainer or not.... @_@

I totally understand what you mean..I'm up to episode 7 and I can say that its far from the best thing Tomino is done, yet for some reason I cannot stop watching it. And the next episode seems to feature cheerleaders so I have to keep on watching don't I?

Started on Fate Zero. Major improvement compared to the Stay/Night, thanks to the omission of the wimpy protagonist. Kiritsugu is someone I could actually root for. The characters are nicely fleshed out and each is compelling and interesting in his/her own way, and the pacing is very smooth.

Currently on ep 6, and looking forward to the motored cuirassier scene.

Almost finished watching Azumanga Daioh. Pretty good; basically K-On without the music.

Loved Azumanga Daioh, and I'd say it's a bit more than just K-On without music.

I finally finished Orguss and I'm happy to say that there were no problems on any of the discs!

Glad to hear it, what'd you think of the incredibly awesome ending? :)

Glad to hear it, what'd you think of the incredibly awesome ending? :)

I've always loved the ending of Orguss!

This was actually my third viewing of Orguss. I had first seen it raw about 20 years ago, my second viewing was with a really poorly subtitled Hong Kong bootleg set (it was so bad that after the tenth episode, they started calling Kei "Jackie"). This third viewing was the first time that I was able to see the series with subtitles that made sense.

I'm still on the fence on if I want to be brave enough and watch the dub of the first 17 episodes of the series. I saw the first episode back in the 90s and remember it being pretty bad.

I've always loved the ending of Orguss!

This was actually my third viewing of Orguss. I had first seen it raw about 20 years ago, my second viewing was with a really poorly subtitled Hong Kong bootleg set (it was so bad that after the tenth episode, they started calling Kei "Jackie"). This third viewing was the first time that I was able to see the series with subtitles that made sense.

I'm still on the fence on if I want to be brave enough and watch the dub of the first 17 episodes of the series. I saw the first episode back in the 90s and remember it being pretty bad.

That HK subbed version was an absolute comedic delight if's the same one I saw. Is it the one were the "Mu" are suddenly called "Timmy" and "Athena" becomes "Argentina"?

And yeah, love the ending.

It's an open ended ending, that at the same time manages to close many of the personal storylines and all the characters have some kind of resolution and development. And you gotta love Casey Rankin's music.

Did some black Friday shopping and picked up several things. Transformers Super God Master Force, Cowboy Bebop Movie, Horizon In The Middle Of Nowhere, and Strike Witches season 2.

The first episode of Horizon was odd, filled with fanservice, and down right crazy yet it was still hilarious and entertaining. I like how the main character is something of an unrepentant pervert bastard.

Starting watching Masterforce too as I write this. It looks promising and you can really tell its starting to deviate away into something wholly japanese. While Headmasters kept the western gijoe character style that's been replaced with typical anime flare and design. I also find the plot interesting as it brings it closer to what the original diaclone toys were. Robots piloted by humans.

Oh damn! Not five minutes in the first episode, the decepticons just blew up a cruise ship killing hundreds to draw out an autobot pretender. I take it the body count is gonna be high in this?