again:

Yes, there are times that those descriptors don't apply, but it sounds suspiciously like you're stating that he wasn't cool, was out of control and clueless for the entire movie...

At times? You mean for nearly the entire movie except for a few key sequences meant to show how he slowly transformed? Seriously, you completely misunderstood CR.

At times? You mean for nearly the entire movie except for a few key sequences meant to show how he slowly transformed? Seriously, you completely misunderstood CR.

My seeing an overconfident human Bond struggling to recreate himself as an assassin and you seeing a failed superspy in FR are beside the point. We're talking about QoS...

... which is a lesser clone of Borne Identity et al without a compelling villain, a thin story to backup the premise and throws most of what has made Bond a success for 50 years out the window.

Now, if that's your cup of tea, good on you. Nevertheless, the film is flawed (bad editing, for starters) and despite the box office returns, it's still a mediocre action movie. Villains make or break these kinds of movies, and this one's broke.

Don't get me wrong, I like parts of QoS (ie: dumpster diving the comrade), just not the thing in it's entirety.

A question: if QoS is as great as some posters have indicated it is, why does the sequel want nothing to do with it?

A question: if QoS is as great as some posters have indicated it is, why does the sequel want nothing to do with it?

I'll answer that with another question, If Goldfinger was as great as some people have indicated, why do all the sequals have nothing to do with it?

Leaps and bounds? Fell asleep in 'Royale? Sarcasm? :mellow:

No, 100% serious. CR was downright boring. Far too much exposition on Poker (or whatever boring card game they were playing).

As for JB having a past, (different post), no he did not have a past, JB (the Bourne one, funny - only just noticed they share initials, should have realized since JB is another take on JB) is meant to be an anti-JB, the guy without a past working against the system, where the original JB was the guy without a past working for the system.

I'll answer that with another question, If Goldfinger was as great as some people have indicated, why do all the sequals have nothing to do with it?

Interesting question, if one completely ignores how it established the Bond formula that all sequels copied to varying extents... (could go on with some other precedents set by that film, but I got better things to do with my time).

No, 100% serious. CR was downright boring. Far too much exposition on Poker (or whatever boring card game they were playing).

Texas Hold'em. It's quite fun to play.

where the original JB was the guy without a past working for the system.

Eh? But Bond does have a past. So, too does Borne. At least the novel version of him does. The 2nd and 3rd Borne movies, though good, PALE in comparison to the novels. Borne speaking Russian? What up wit dat?

That's an easy question to answer. Qos made great money but there was critical backlash, and its supporters are in the minority. I mean, I can see and acknowledge its flaws, but I love it anyway. Daniel Craig notwithstanding (as most critics continued to praise his performance), the turncoat agent at the very start sets it off for me, for some reason I really like the scene around the performance of Tosca, and the master plot resonated with me too. The villain as a character not so much, but I kinda liked him being a sorta boring functionary than "mwah-ha-ha" big bad evil. The banality of evil has always been a concept I find intriguing (aware as I am of the oxymoron in calling banality intriguing).

First rule of film appreciation: Just because you liked it doesn't mean it's a good film, and conversely you not liking it doesn't mean it was bad.

I mean, the whole "distancing" from QoS is all marketing anyway, as if it's some big deal. "You didn't like that one, but don't worry, this is all different." Yeah, sure. Few Bond films have referenced previous entries in the series. QoS being a direct sequel (as in events from the previous film carry over) has only happened once before, with Connery's Bond seeking revenge for Traci's death making Diamonds Are Forever more or less a direct sequel to On Her Majesty's Secret Service. So, really, Skyfall is just back to business as usual for the Bond franchise.

I just hope they ignore those critics piping up about missing the comedic tones of earlier franchise entries. Sweet Jeebus protect us from Roger Moore nostalgia at least a little while longer. I was just getting back into this...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A much older friend of mine owned two DB5's. He was a racing enthusiast, but quite loved these old birds. It wasn't until he died, and years later, than I found out we used to go down the road to grab some groceries in James Bond's car.

I'm already beyond sick of Adele's voice.

Agreed. Her material is just as bad, but somehow she's a runaway hit. I don't get it...

Highly doubt it was a DB7... That was made in the 90s and it was ugly. I think you mean DB5.

the DB7 looks exactly the same as every other Aston martin produced in the last 20 years. Not to say that it isn't ugly but...

Muse is probably over used as far as soundtracks but on the new album there's a Bond type song called "Supremacy" (ironic). Maybe these 2 bands don't have anything Bond-like in their discography but The Blonds or Stooshe can probably manage it if they were asked. Too bad Amy Winehouse got wasted to bits and died before she turned in a proper Bond song. She really had that Shirley Bassey thing going. But if they can get Chris Cornell, they can pretty much get anyone across the board.

the DB7 looks exactly the same as every other Aston martin produced in the last 20 years. Not to say that it isn't ugly but...

DB7 (1990's):

aston-martin-db7-vantage-06.jpg

Vantage (2000's):

http://www.shareyourwallpaper.com/upload/wallpaper/cars/aston-martin/aston-martin_dd0cc4fc.jpg

The DB7 is a joke man. No comparison, the Vantage and just about everything after is crazy badass.