So, spent the weekend changing my sparkplugs. Only 2nd time I've ever done so, first time on this car, first time on a V8. Notes:

1. Getting the old wires off the plugs is still the hardest thing by far. Utter death-grip. Destroyed several of them---they ripped apart rather than let go of the plug. Had to use pliers to wrench the remains of the wire-ends off the plugs of those ones.

2. "100,000 mile plug" is total BS. My car has 53K, the factory plugs were awful--some of them. As others with my engine have said---AFM/DoD/"4-cylinder-mode" really eats up the plugs. The 4 in the "normal" cylinders looked pretty good, and would likely last quite a while longer. But the 4 in the "occasionally shuts off to run in 4-cylinder-mode" ones were awful. Gunk, black, oil 2/3 of the way up the threads, ash in some places, soot in others. Should have checked/replaced a while ago actually. At like, 1/3 of specified life instead of 1/2. (also, two of the plugs were in the "pulling as hard as I can, bracing my legs against the fender to crack them loose" category--can't imagine how stuck they'd have been at 75 or 100K) (and for how stuck in they were, the new ones threaded in very nicely)

3. After new plugs, car has never idled so smooth. I won't know for a while if mileage has improved, and I won't BS anybody by saying it has 10HP more now, (and I haven't even gone past half-throttle yet, just idling around town and grocery-getting to make sure everything's running well first)----but I know for sure that there's less vibration at idle than the day I bought it. (I swear it also idles slightly faster, maybe 50 rpm or so).

TLDR: If your engine has a "shuts off half the cylinders when cruising" feature---check the plugs in those cylinders WAY early.

So, spent the weekend changing my sparkplugs. Only 2nd time I've ever done so, first time on this car, first time on a V8. Notes:

1. Getting the old wires off the plugs is still the hardest thing by far. Utter death-grip. Destroyed several of them---they ripped apart rather than let go of the plug. Had to use pliers to wrench the remains of the wire-ends off the plugs of those ones.

2. "100,000 mile plug" is total BS. My car has 53K, the factory plugs were awful--some of them. As others with my engine have said---AFM/DoD/"4-cylinder-mode" really eats up the plugs. The 4 in the "normal" cylinders looked pretty good, and would likely last quite a while longer. But the 4 in the "occasionally shuts off to run in 4-cylinder-mode" ones were awful. Gunk, black, oil 2/3 of the way up the threads, ash in some places, soot in others. Should have checked/replaced a while ago actually. At like, 1/3 of specified life instead of 1/2. (also, two of the plugs were in the "pulling as hard as I can, bracing my legs against the fender to crack them loose" category--can't imagine how stuck they'd have been at 75 or 100K) (and for how stuck in they were, the new ones threaded in very nicely)

3. After new plugs, car has never idled so smooth. I won't know for a while if mileage has improved, and I won't BS anybody by saying it has 10HP more now, (and I haven't even gone past half-throttle yet, just idling around town and grocery-getting to make sure everything's running well first)----but I know for sure that there's less vibration at idle than the day I bought it. (I swear it also idles slightly faster, maybe 50 rpm or so).

TLDR: If you engine has a "shuts off half the cylinders when cruising" feature---check the plugs in those cylinders WAY early

if the idle has improved to the point where you noticed it then im sure there will be a fuel economy improvement as the engine is operating more efficiently. sorry if you mentioned it previously but what car is it that you have?

when I did the spark plugs on my LS1 Commodores, the rearward spark plugs were a nightmare and I also broke a few of the plug leads. But I had anticipated that from previous attempts and usually always replace the leads when ever I do plugs. And when I went from 8mm to 10mm leads is when I noticed a difference in the idle.

I've had my hands chewed working on my LS1 camaro. For some reason they literally have spiked things on the engine. But I'm currently working on a 95 beater explorer and other than finding more problems than I anticipated it's pretty easy to work on. It was garaged half its life so that helped. Pulling the trans I. A couple weeks to get it rebuilt and do a little budget off road build. (Mainly for looks). Throw a light bar and some extra lights on there and it'll be ready to go.

like this one? cool! B))

1200px-Pontiac_Grand_Prix_GXP_.jpg

Just like that, asides from color. (While there are many small differences, the front end is the biggest and best one---the nose of the V8 version looks SO much better than the V6 version IMHO). It's ALL different up front. The only parts shared between the V6 and V8 in front of the windshield, are the headlights and hood. Fenders, sub-frame, radiator mount/system, brake system, engine mounts, bumper, intake, grilles, fogs, A/C, suspension----all are V8-specific.

Due to the aluminum subframe and aluminum engine, compared to the steel subframe and engine of the V6, the V8 version is actually lighter up front and thus has better weight distribution.

similar thing like when Holden dropped the Aussie built all iron V8 in favor of the all alloy chev LS1 for the Commodore back in 1999. Aside improvements such as over 20% more power, better fuel efficiency, lower emissions, the weight difference between the V6 & V8 versions was less than 40kg (down from nearly triple that figure if I remember correctly) which meant the v8 could even use the same front springs and shocks (amongst other components) as the V6 whilst lowering costs and streamlining production methods.

That Pontiac looks great!

If I'd known the Commodore was coming to the US as the G8, I'd have probably waited for it. There was a time the G8's were just sitting on lots with huge discounts---I seriously even considered trading my car in when it was 1 year old----would have made little difference payment-wise (only roughly calculated, never seriously did the math). I should have, as the G8/Commodore is a better car, and it held its value SO much better. That car went for 90% of sticker price even when several years old.

Of course, I almost NEVER see G8's in the snow, they may not be much of a year-round car here.

If I'd known the Commodore was coming to the US as the G8, I'd have probably waited for it. There was a time the G8's were just sitting on lots with huge discounts---I seriously even considered trading my car in when it was 1 year old----would have made little difference payment-wise (only roughly calculated, never seriously did the math). I should have, as the G8/Commodore is a better car, and it held its value SO much better. That car went for 90% of sticker price even when several years old.

Of course, I almost NEVER see G8's in the snow, they may not be much of a year-round car here.

and to make the G8 an even more attractive proposition.. they were better spec'd & featured than the Commodore was.. Even still so now with the Chev SS! Its got more power and more standard equipment than my SS-V Redline edition which kinda sucks. It would have been nice to have the option for heated/cooled seats and magnetic ride control. I think they are going to put all the stuff the Chev has for the very final 2017 build cars. Bugger.. I should have waited till next year! :rolleyes:\\

In Australia the Commodore wouldn't have to go through the extreme seasonal changes like a lot of the US does.. probably explains why the G8 owners don't often drive them in snow!

Edited by spanner