Don't pop into this thread very often as I'm not a true "car guy", but when I was in the market to replace my '99 Toyota Camry Solara (SLE V6) I knew I wanted a sedan with muscle after driving a touring coupe for so long.

My initial "money is no object" want was the 2014 IS 350, but I couldn't get accurate pricing since the launch was mid-summer and considering how quickly I wanted to purchase I moved on to plan B. So, I ended up purchasing a 2013 Ford Taurus SHO. I know the two don't compete and aren't really in the same car segment, but the SHO fit my overall want of a sedan with "punch" AND I was able to get Z Plan pricing and after doing a little research I opted to move forward.

I've had the car for about 3 1/2 months and besides the truly horrible gas mileage (not really complaining, I knew what I was getting into, but the shock from the Solara to this was a bit much at first) I love it.

Here are a few camera phone snaps from earlier today, taken on Belle Isle. Anyone in the Metro Detroit area will have heard of it.

post-357-0-12975200-1382582695_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-95523800-1382582745_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-34026200-1382582764_thumb.jpg

Never thought I buy American again, but I'm glad that I did.

*and yes, I put the ME vinyl stickers (N7 on the rear windshield + Renegade and Paragon icons on the driver and passenger side rear windows) - because I'm a nerd. B))

-b.

I attended the 2013 Halloween Howler last night. I'm a little disapponted that my race got cancelled to make way for championship make up races... still there was reason we all go the massive 4 and 8 cyl enduro's. Last year the 4cyl had 137 cars, this year we had almost 180 five wide on a quarter mile oval. Here's last years event. Forgive if I already posted this in the past.

Don't pop into this thread very often as I'm not a true "car guy", but when I was in the market to replace my '99 Toyota Camry Solara (SLE V6) I knew I wanted a sedan with muscle after driving a touring coupe for so long.

My initial "money is no object" want was the 2014 IS 350, but I couldn't get accurate pricing since the launch was mid-summer and considering how quickly I wanted to purchase I moved on to plan B. So, I ended up purchasing a 2013 Ford Taurus SHO. I know the two don't compete and aren't really in the same car segment, but the SHO fit my overall want of a sedan with "punch" AND I was able to get Z Plan pricing and after doing a little research I opted to move forward.

I've had the car for about 3 1/2 months and besides the truly horrible gas mileage (not really complaining, I knew what I was getting into, but the shock from the Solara to this was a bit much at first) I love it.

As pretty much all my cars and my likely next one are in that category (powerful sedan) I am curious as to your impression of it. While I feel the SHO has good specs/performance, I think they're asking too much money over the lower-end Taurus. Same issue with the SRT-8 versions of any Dodge (though Dodge is much worse---an SRT-8 is often like an extra 10 grand, for "a slightly more powerful version of the Hemi"----the SHO at least gets you a whole new engine that is a lot more powerful than the next level down)

Anyways, I just spent several valk's worth of money on 4 of these today:

RE970A_180_600.jpg

(Bridgestone Potenza RE970)

Really, when it comes to tires, I flat-out buy the best I can get for my car. (not a whole lot of selection for my car, a very weird combo of sizes, and the OEM is no longer made) No matter what engine, brakes, or suspension you may have---only the tires touch the road. EVERYTHING depends on them. THEY interact with the road, not any other part.

Ever seen a car you used to own, now with cheap ugly tires put on by the new owner? It can be sad. Many people seem to ignore the LOOKS of a tire, thinking it's "wheels, wheels, wheels". But oh man can bland/weird tires ruin a car's look. (luckily, I've never had tires with an inherently ugly design, but I did once have to deal with "brown" tires----that sucked, and I now personally inspect every tire I buy prior to installation)

Hey David,

My overall impression so far is very positive, the car drives and handles just the way I'd expect, and want it to. Acceleration and handling are great and I'm still learning how to drive so that I maximize fuel economy. I'm actually excited to be getting between 18 and 19 mpg City ( :blink: ). The car sits on Micheline tires (I forget the trim) and the ride is very smooth. The Solara initially came with Michelin and of all the tires I've owned over the years they've always driven the best.

From a materials and fit and finish standpoint I'm also pretty happy. Considering that Ford isn't a luxury brand, even with the SHO being the flagship car I feel like I bought a very high quality car for the price.

I opted for the extra 402A package which gives rear view camera, HD Radio, heated/cooled front seats, Sony audio (meh), Park Assist, and some other this and that. From what I remember standard options the SHO offers over the SE, SEL or Limited were noticeable, but when you factor in the performance bump the price seems reasonable (but that's very subjective).

Given the fact that I had my last car for over 13 years reliability is key for me, but I'm not planning on keeping this as my primary car for longer than 5 or 6 years. So fingers firmly crossed that she holds up.

It also helps that I get a LOT of compliments on the car, but it is Detroit and there are still lot of die-hard American car loyalists in and around the city.

*the car is also very much a full sized sedan - she's really big

**people might also find the cabin crowded because of how the dash is laid out, but I'm not that tall/big of a guy so I'm pretty comfy

***One knock is braking from high speeds, I can feel some nasty vibration when braking at unlawfully speeds B))

***I swear I'm not a Ford or car salesman

There are a lot of SHO's and various Dodge and Chrysler SRT8's on the road up here, but I swear they're mostly driven by auto-execs.

-b.

I took the plunge and sold off my 07 Z06 and my 128i and got into a new 2014 Lexus IS 350. I wanted a new 335i Msport but didn't wanna wait for it to be made and shipped from Germany. So I went with the Lexus. Not to mention it was 8K cheaper with more options on it. This is my first Lexus and I did my homework on it. So far I have mixed feelings about it. It's a good car, the Germans absolutely have a better chassis/brakes and suspension. The IS is a nice daily driver, and its very comfortable. The electronics have some bugs and there is an annoying rattle somewhere in the dash behind the nav screen, but other than that, it's just little nitpicks I have really. Gas mileage is waaaaay improved over my 128i and if you drive it in sport mode it is pretty good fun.

I test drove a 2013 SHO, it's definitely an underestimated sedan.

The looks are great, along with the lines... But them rims!

Yeah, the flower-petal rims do seem like an oversight. If the edge itself was a bit thicker/brighter, everything would be solved. But the way it's blacked-out...

Yeah, I actually really wanted those wheels and made a point to make sure they were on the car I bought, but the first time a friend of mine told me she thought they looked like sunflowers I almost lost it.

So I just try really hard to remember why I liked them to begin with and I just ignore the fact that they look like flowers to some folks. :p

I took the plunge and sold off my 07 Z06 and my 128i and got into a new 2014 Lexus IS 350. I wanted a new 335i Msport but didn't wanna wait for it to be made and shipped from Germany. So I went with the Lexus. Not to mention it was 8K cheaper with more options on it. This is my first Lexus and I did my homework on it. So far I have mixed feelings about it. It's a good car, the Germans absolutely have a better chassis/brakes and suspension. The IS is a nice daily driver, and its very comfortable. The electronics have some bugs and there is an annoying rattle somewhere in the dash behind the nav screen, but other than that, it's just little nitpicks I have really. Gas mileage is waaaaay improved over my 128i and if you drive it in sport mode it is pretty good fun.

Post some pics. Hopefully you/the dealer can find the source of that rattle and have it taken care of. I would swear by Lexus and I always smile a bit whenever I see a '14 IS on the road because even though I love my SHO that really was my first choice.

-b.

When my friend sold his NSX to me and ran off to get a Ferrari 348, we had a little go at it and my NSX (his old NSX) was able to keep ahead of his new 348 on the road and track. And I was a craptacular driver at the time, so it had nothing to do with driver skill. He knew how to drive cars and drive them well, but the NSX outperformed his Ferrari....at the time.

I loved my NSX, still miss it, but that being said, I think I would have taken his 348 over my NSX in a heartbeat. In an ideal world, I would have both, one to have fun with and the other one just for the music. The 348 and 355 produced sounds that were just magic. Ferrari sort of lost it in the 360 but I think they've got the sound back with the latest models.

And that is pretty hideous:

2015-ford-mustang-renders-1-1-opt.jpg

Nice to know another NSX owner in this forum. Have mine for about 12 years already and not a problem to drive. Ferrari yes if I got the money. If I got more money it would be the latest Lamborghini.

320291_10150319324977861_2072688857_n.jp

Nice NSX, are you planning on completing the look? By the looks of it, you still need side skirts, the weels, the seats, possibly the steering wheel and carpet....

I had a 1992 NSX, and ran the 5 spoke 15/16 NSX-R wheels. Yeah, they were small, but I ran r compounds on them all year round. I also had the 16/17 in 7 spoke wheels, but a new set of r compounds evey 3 months on the bigger wheels got a bit costly.

Post more pics if you have them.

I plan to do a refresh on the engines (replacing all the rubber parts), new muffler, sideskirts is in the list (oem look), oem front hood or type-r shroud (still deciding), new leather for the seat (leatherseats.com), third brake light replacement, new abs pump. I actually had the oem 16/17 which I swapped with these fat fives. I either going to get Work Meister S1 2-piece in 17/18 or the oem 17/17.

When I first got it.

221702_10150159845982861_3582162_n.jpg

The the mod bugs hit. Go big or go home.

149855_455150612860_1931970_n.jpg

154721_455150527860_4118638_n.jpg

148693_455150567860_4139600_n.jpg

150892_455150542860_2358271_n.jpg

After too much attentions and parents nagging, I went type-r route

192696_10150113462327861_2368923_o.jpg

293511_10150319323962861_1785186341_n.jp

317246_10150319324362861_1388642518_n.jp

312540_10150319324552861_1440143097_n.jp

306420_10150361222927861_1875311541_n.jp

When I got the Work VSKF blings.

388556_10150485682232861_926914082_n.jpg

Time for a classic car moment.

While Matthew Broderick had his best friend's dad's prized 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California Spider in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Tom Cruise drove around the streets of Chicago with his dad's Porsche 928 (before accidentally letting it sink into Lake Michigan) in Risky Business. To be behind the wheel of a Porsche with Rebecca De Mornay next to you, what more could you ask?

"Porsche. There is no substitute."

Quest for RB 928

car pron you say?

How about this:

attachicon.gifD20779.jpg

People tend not to appreciate the classics much anymore, but this is beautiful no matter what sort of car guy you are.

Indeed. The guys who drove those, as well as anyone who made a living driving racing cars back in the day--especially those during F1's 'dark ages' of the 50's - 70's--are real heroes to me. You had to have a f'ing pair to drive one of those at the limit...

Went to a routine doctor's appt yesterday, saw one just like this in the p'ing lot. Good God, that thing was sexy!

03dbscarbonblackreview2010opta.jpg

You wouldn't think it possible for an inanimate object--but I swear, it's like the thing possessed an aura all its own. It was striking how it was at once both elegant--and just plain mean looking.

That Mustang on Car and Driver is fake. But it's the best look I've seen complete with the rip off Aston Martin front. If it looks close to that I might consider it. I've always wanted a Mustang. But I think the interior will suck. At least going from the spy pictures I've seen.

Edited by JetJockey

It will be a great looking car all around. The only down side to this new 2015 Mustang is that it will be such a sales hit, it will be ubiquitous all over the American automotive landscape like Toyota Corollas. Owning one will not be a unique experience since your neighbors, friends, or co-workers will have a similar car.

Other than that, it should be a fastest Mustang ever made with the best handling. I would get one too if I was in the market for a sporty 2-door car. :D

It will be a great looking car all around. The only down side to this new 2015 Mustang is that it will be such a sales hit, it will be ubiquitous all over the American automotive landscape like Toyota Corollas. Owning one will not be a unique experience since your neighbors, friends, or co-workers will have a similar car.

Not really. The current generation Mustang is still more common on the road. And most people are still unsure of this new design. Best to wait until Ford officially unveils the new Mustang.