wrx.jpgas requested... it's not mine specifically, but looks the same for the most part (mine is far dirtier). I did lower it about an inch and a half, as I don't go off road that much and WRX's had loads of fender gap. It's like an old bull dog... kinda homely, but it grows on you. That pretty much describes most Subarus though. I can't say enough good things about it. I never thought I would love a car as much as my first-gen RX7's, hence the user name. Lo and behold, the Subie has worked it's way right up there. It's been soooo reliable, fun as could be, yet I can cram all kinds of junk into it and even drive in the snow. A car that begs to be hooned, yet can put on a civilized face and 30 mpg hwy when needed... what more could I ask for?

Awww, it doesn't matter if it is dirty! It is part of its genes! I love all of them, the RS, the bug eye, blobeye, the hawk eye, third gen, all of them tbh. Thanks for the pic, I love these cars. They do grow on you, specially the exhaust notes. I can hear it all day

Edited by vlenhoff

I thought about getting a Subaru WRX Sti hatchback as a replacement for my current Mazdaspeed 3. The torque steer in the Speed3 is just too random sometimes to drive safely. But I have no other problems with the car so it is difficult for me to justify replacing it. Still...AWD would be nice.

Awww, it doesn't matter if it is dirty! It is part of its genes! I love all of them, the RS, the bug eye, blobeye, the hawk eye, third gen, all of them tbh. Thanks for the pic, I love these cars. They do grow on you, specially the exhaust notes. I can hear it all day

omg, the exhaust note... it's quite intoxicating to be sure! By far, it's the best sounding 4 cylinder I have ever encountered. At ten years and 150k miles, I have no plans to replace it any time in the forseeable future. I do however *REALLY* want to add an old Miata to the mix. Mazda really does know how to make a car feel fun, and good Miata specimens can be had for under $5k.

I was able to dig up a very tiny pic of my actual WRX, now used for my avatar :)

Edited by rotorhead

Not a word on the new Lambo? http://www.autoblog.com/photos/lamborghini-veneno-in-detail-geneva-2013/

(though of course, it's even rarer than the Reventon, basically a concept car you'll never actually see----less than 1 per continent)

not my cup of tea but still better than anything Ferrari has done in years.

Those are both quite bad. Where are the supercars that don't look like they belong in a 15 year old's sketchbook?

Like the Mercedes SSK, and 8C 2900 Alfas, the early Ferraris...those were fast and classy. I know it makes me sound old...I've always been a bit of a curmudgeon...but where has the class gone? There hasn't been a supercar made this decade I wouldn't be a bit embarrassed to step out of.

Although the Astons come closest

I very much likes the sides of the new Ferrari, but the ends (especially the front) seem way too vertical and angular to go with those scooped curves. You'd think the front and rear fascias came from a different car.

The new Lambo is at least consistent---saw-tooth angles, everywhere.

Those are both quite bad. Where are the supercars that don't look like they belong in a 15 year old's sketchbook?

Like the Mercedes SSK, and 8C 2900 Alfas, the early Ferraris...those were fast and classy. I know it makes me sound old...I've always been a bit of a curmudgeon...but where has the class gone? There hasn't been a supercar made this decade I wouldn't be a bit embarrassed to step out of.

Although the Astons come closest

Speak for yourself, but I wouldn't be the least bit embarrassed stepping out of an Aventador!

The Aventador is cool, I'd love a desk model of it, or to customize a kit of one. It looks mean. But to own one, and drive it for more than novelty's sake? Nope. All yours.

Cars at these price points are all about making a statement, but they all seem to be making the same one, and it is a pretty immature one. I'm talking mostly of the aesthetics here of course. I know the engineering on some of these cars is as serious as a slide-rule.

Don't get me wrong, I've had both a 454SS and a T/A as daily drivers...I know all about the joys of immature cars. I love them. But I want my "handmade, high-tech, costs more than some people make in a decade" sports car to be more. Much more.

Ron5864, one of my best friends has a Mazdaspeed 3 and he loves it. I have driven it and it is very easy to go fast.

Rotorhead, I don't want to change my avatar because I drew it myself :) Elswhere in my car ventures i use this pic of my ride as an avatar avataroffline.jpg

vlenhoff... nice ride! It looks rather menacing, peeking out from the darkness like that. Regarding avatars, I just happened to stumble onto an old pic I'd been using on another website: NASIOC as the same user name. If you have an Impreza, then you should be a member there, period. Granted, sometimes they can be... unfriendly.. but such is the 'net. It's more than made up for by the volumes of knowledge contained within. Anyways, if I could draw an avatar as nice as you've done, I wouldn't want to change it either!

Last week I picked up a '12 Altima for my wife with the CVT transmission. Weird. The car is quite nice and all, but that shiftless transmission is just... well, it's weird! The missus is very fond of it, but I like my manuals a bit too much to consider it yet.

Rorotrhead: Nasioc, wrxforums[3gwrx], and other forums. These two are the best forums for Subaru imho. I use my same screen name everywhere, even youtube. Glad to see a fellow subie driver is interested in Macross. Interestingly, people give you the deuce out there on the road. Very friendly community.

Wasabi-san: there always an idiot outthere, nothing we can do about it :(

Alfa Romeo unveiled its latest sports car at the Geneva Motor Show. The 4C is mid-engine and rear-wheel drive, with a 1.75 liter turbocharged inline-4 motor that generates 240 bhp. Sure, that doesn't sound impressive, but because the body is made of lightweight carbon materials, it is said to do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. Looks like the 4C will continue where the Lotus Exige left off.

2013-Alfa-Romeo-4C-Static-2-1920x1440.jpg

2013-Alfa-Romeo-4C-Static-6-1920x1440.jpg

2013-Alfa-Romeo-4C-Static-4-1920x1440.jpg

2013-Alfa-Romeo-4C-Interior-1920x1440.jpg

2013 Alfa Romeo 4C

I think I recall reading about that Alfa (in concept) before. Seems like they were aiming on it being rather budget-friendly too, like $30-$40k or so. My only gripe would be the C-pillar: that's an enormous blind spot behind and to the sides. Other than that, I like it! I even like that they didn't go with the ubiquitous plastic-covered headlights that EVERYone does these days. You know the ones that get all hazy after a couple years? My wife's old 5th gen accord had glass headlights... and not once did they need a haze buffed and polished off of them. My WRX though... it's a constant battle keeping them clear.

heh, the passenger side of that dash looks like a big smiling frog face.

Once your headlights have gone yellow, there's nothing you can really do. Buffing off the yellowing works but since all the UV treatment has been stripped, the exposed plastic will yellow much faster than it had originally. You can coat it with a UV protectant but it's never really the same.

Very true regarding the yellowing, although I've heard of a few folks having good luck with Valspar deck clearcoat or some such. Basically, it's a clear urethane or varnish with UV protection, so it'd be a little better than the alternative. That being said, it very likely will never be quite up to new standards ever again. About the best compromise I've seen thus far is putting Lamin-X or RockBlocker film on your headlights when they are brand new.

Edited by rotorhead

Until you have to drive over any change in the roadway higher than 2 inches.

I remember when I ran over that dead animal and almost flew off the road. So yes, you have to watch where you stick your tires when you drive a small sports car like that.

I remember when I ran over that dead animal and almost flew off the road. So yes, you have to watch where you stick your tires when you drive a small sports car like that.

A1 really wanted to eat that that restaurant, but his car got stuck on the bump at the entrance to the parking lot...

A1 really wanted to eat that that restaurant, but his car got stuck on the bump at the entrance to the parking lot...

That actually happened. I like my 911 much more.

• 2 weeks later...