I'd gladly give up two cylinders for a snail in a G-Body!   It's not nearly as nice looking on the outside at the moment; but there is a particular S10 at work with AWD and a snail as well, black and orange paint, named after some kind of storm or something.  

4 hours ago, Wolf-1 said:

I'd gladly give up two cylinders for a snail in a G-Body!   It's not nearly as nice looking on the outside at the moment; but there is a particular S10 at work with AWD and a snail as well, black and orange paint, named after some kind of storm or something.  

Oooo love those trucks. This car is hopefully going to be free so it frees up a lot of cash for go fast and look good stuff. 

23 hours ago, ErikElvis said:

Oooo love those trucks. This car is hopefully going to be free so it frees up a lot of cash for go fast and look good stuff. 

Must be nice to have a GN+ fall into one's driveway! Smaller impeller, larger turbine, really nasty injectors and the fuel pump to match, it's a start. Assuming you want to hit "Ludicris Speed".

22 hours ago, rotorhead said:

Syclone and Typhoon

I used to dream about these back in high school, but have yet to see one in person.

If you're ever in the S.E.MO area, just drop a DM. He is always up to show it off and show it out; just don't bother asking, we all have! Was going to take pic's but he picked it up this past weekend. 

Speaking of the Sy/Ty, the "Father" of the Syclone/Typhoon, Kim Nielsen of GM, (featured at 1:49 below) bought one of the new NSX's and I learned from another forum I'm on how fast it goes ... this summer at Irwindale Speedway it did 1/8mi in 7.14@98.84 w 1.681 60 ft and Vbox 0.60 mph of 3.00 secs - 95 degree weather and no VHT on track!

3 hours ago, Wolf-1 said:

Must be nice to have a GN+ fall into one's driveway! Smaller impeller, larger turbine, really nasty injectors and the fuel pump to match, it's a start. Assuming you want to hit "Ludicris Speed".

If you're ever in the S.E.MO area, just drop a DM. He is always up to show it off and show it out; just don't bother asking, we all have! Was going to take pic's but he picked it up this past weekend. 

Have a full fuel system upgrade to go in hopefully this winter. Walbro pump. 60# injectors and a fuel pump hot wire hit. Among some other maintenance items. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/23/2021 at 11:30 PM, sqidd said:

Awesome! I've never seen one with the hard top like that. Or those fender flares. Is that "normal"? Or a special model?

Miata's are an absolute blast to drive! My Mom had 4-5 of them in a row (company cars). The firs time I drove one I had it drifting through corners in about 5min. They just beg to be driven HARD. They're so balanced, telepathic and "chuckable" it's amazing. If I wasn't such a stupid HP junkie I'd have one. But I'm not that smart.:p

Hey Sqidd, sorry about the delayed replay. I've been super busy. I own the most hated Miata of the all: The NC Miata. It is basically a shortened and lightened RX-8, and therefor it is a bit heavier than its prior iterations. Those wheel arches are stock, and that roof comes down in 13 seconds or so, using electricity. I just got her back actually, and now she has a 8.4 lb lightweight flywheel, and stage one clutch. I thought it already had a lightened flywheel, but I was wrong. So when the  clutch went, I upgraded/replaced the entire clutch system. I never thought I would own a Miata, as they are not really powerful, but after having two modified WRX[s] I settled for this little house fly of a car. Telepathic and "chuckable" are some of the reasons I love this car. Light wheels, lugnuts, and lighter MisterR coilover suspension made it ever more fun. This is the first time I've driven a car with a lightened flywheel and I absolutely love it. I go on drives to no where for no reason, just for fun. Don't get me wrong, I love power, but this car is fun at any speed. 20201205_102319.jpg.7847456541cc0ca967342aa34ba90935.jpg20210529_142934.jpg.811c490e71e44d5e0618b62dd7564350.jpg

Edited by vlenhoff
Oops, sorry, I see I had answered a while back.

BananaRama Lives..       I had to make some changes to make it functional for its intended use.   Hopefully the charity drive moves forward this year after getting axed due to covid 2 years in a row.    But with current gas prices I'm expecting to need to sell a kidney or mortgage the house to make it to FL and back.  

BananaRama.jpg.56bd58071ca3ef394c57638ed709c762.jpg

• 11 months later...

Maybe not the kind of car talk that excites most of the guys on this forum, but I'm looking to replace my wife's Nissan Rogue with an EV, since her daily commute is around 70 miles and gas is still $4 a gallon here.  Finding an EV isn't really the hard part... I think we're going to go with a Hyundai Ioniq 5 (we'd actually have one by now, but my wife is super insistent that it must be a white Limited AWD, and the dealers in my area have white in every trim but Limited and Limiteds in every color but white...).  But good gravy, am I having a doozy of a time trying to settle on a Level 2 home charger and get an electrician to install it.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

Maybe not the kind of car talk that excites most of the guys on this forum, [...]

... that's fine, I have long since accepted that I'm a weirdo.

EVs are 100% my thing, and my day job for nearly ten years now... first as part of a gov't project, then in private sector R&D and with the SAE standards committees. :D 

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

But good gravy, am I having a doozy of a time trying to settle on a Level 2 home charger and get an electrician to install it.

Ah, yeah... there's a LOT more choice in the market now than when I was running the interoperability test center at a certain automaker.

The major players haven't changed, though... 'cept that AeroVironment (yes, the UAV people) sold their EVSE division to Webasto.  It's Webasto/AV, Clipper Creek, ChargePoint, and Leviton.  Enel-X has been moving up in the world since Webasto acquired AV, and they make some pretty reliable stuff too.

With the old, and damn near indestructible* 32A-class AeroVironment EVSE-RS-PI-25s now out of production**, it really depends whether you're looking for integration with a smart meter or not.  I'm assuming you probably are, if you're the cost-conscious sort.  Enel-X's 40A and 48A "Juicebox" EVSEs are solid and dependable units but somewhat hard to get since they're MOPAR's current favorite.  Clipper Creek's 32A chargers (e.g. the HCS-40) is known to be a solid and dependable unit, but can be somewhat flaky depending on the brand of vehicle you're charging.***  Hyundai's preferred brand of chargers is ChargePoint, who I've always felt were middle-of-the-pack but dependable performers... but I've only worked with some of their pedistal-form units and not their newer wallboxes.  They seem to be a bit forward-thinking about the whole affair, since they have a website set up to help buyers find trusted installers for their preferred ChargePoint HomeFlex units.

All in all, I'd say probably go with either Hyundai's preferred ChargePoint HomeFlex or an Enel-X Juicebox.

EDIT: I will say this too... avoid BTCPower like the ****ing plague.  My professional experience with them would have to get considerably better to be called "appalling" with a straight face.  Probably the only time I've ever been convinced a piece of test equipment was going to kill me.

* I had a LOT of experience working with those as part of a gov't project, and despite the many horrible things I did to them that the manufacturer absolutely NEVER intended I only ever had one unit fail.  
** But still available from some vendors.
*** I had some issues with older Clipper Creek units involving the tolerances on the control pilot and proximity circuits, meaning some cars had to be unplugged and replugged several times before they'd accept the charger as a valid one.  And one memorable case of a ChargePoint unit causing some minor scorching on the inlet of a test vehicle.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

48 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

it really depends whether you're looking for integration with a smart meter or not.  I'm assuming you probably are, if you're the cost-conscious sort.

Actually, it's not necessary.  The Ioniq 5 itself can be told to charge during off-peak hours on its end, so smart features on the charger are redundant.

50 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Hyundai's preferred brand of chargers is ChargePoint, who I've always felt were middle-of-the-pack but dependable performers

Yeah, and it seems like its the best seller.  The Home Flex is on my short list, but it's the most expensive, and it seems like the app some weird issues around one vehicle per account and one account per vehicle.  So my wife and I would have to use the same account for her Ioniq 5, but down the road if/when I replace my ICE car with an EV I'd have to create a separate account for it and then logout and login with the old one if I'm charging my wife's.

Right now, I think I'm leaning toward a Walbox Pulsar Plus.  But it seems there was a miscommunication with the electrician... he looked at the sub breaker in my garage, and I guess he figured he was going to put in a new 50 amp breaker and install a NEMA 14-50 outlet, and that I was going to mount the charger and just plug it in.  But, in my state there's a tax rebate that only applies if the charger is hardwired, and the Ioniq 5 can charge faster than the 40 amps I'd get from a 14-50 outlet, so I just emailed him and asked if he wanted to reconsider his bid because I actually need a 60 amp breaker hardwired to a 48 amp charger.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...