If Toyota introduces it to forced-induction, it might gain my interest. I'll take a new MX-5 over an FR-S/BRZ though.

For some snap-oversteer goodness.

Just gonna jump on this: AW11s really gave the concept of snap-oversteer a lot of misunderstanding. People jumped to assume it was the mid-engine layout, when the real cause was the tiny wheelbase combined with a bad rear suspension design. Shift the weight forward while the suspension is loaded on one side, the geometry will change and start the rear wheels moving the other direction, and now your weight is shifted off the rear axle and you start coming around. Pair that with the puny wheelbase that doesn't resist change in direction and you become oncoming traffic. The SW20 and W30 didn't have nearly the same problem with snap oversteer, thanks to longer wheelbases and more advanced suspension dynamics. On the other hand, the FC RX-7 had a tendency for it, thanks to some unwanted effects in its Dynamic Tracking Suspension System, and it was front-mid engine.

This is the hidden secret power of the 240SX: the wheelbase is longer than the car's apparent size would make you guess. It's a very stable thing that resists rotating about its center of mass. Which is ultimately why it's won over the drift crowd so hard: the long wheelbase makes it the easy mode of the sport. Now I've gone and depressed myself.

Anyway yeah, the Celica. Silly Toyota. Doing it as a Scion was their first mistake. Now it's too late to call it Celica and save their brand. And yeah, it doesn't provide much of a proposition against alternatives like the new Miata, or the old Miata, or any of the other cars in this price segment that have the thing the FR-BZQTF68 doesn't: power. I haven't driven an NC or an ND long enough to say "you know, this could use more power." I've got more seat time in those cars combined than I do in a Subuyota. And frankly my immediate impressions were "this sounds like hell" and "why aren't I going anywhere?". The S13 may be objectively slower, but even the friends I have who drive much faster cars agree: it gives the feeling of speed. The FR-S doesn't do that, and if it can't do that, the least it can do is have enough power to actually have some speed.

Toyota's moving to Dallas. I wonder what that'll do for the local scene.

@ Agent One -- great color on the 4C! Absolutely gorgeous car! And you definitely could be in a Conan movie!

HAHA, thanks man. I think that color on the 4C is one of the best. The bright colors are cliche.

At 0% throttle input, either the throttle is left partially open or an air injector feeds more air to the engine, fuel is continuously injected at a rich ratio, and ignition timing switches from ~15 degrees BTDC for regular idle, to ~40 degrees ATDC. This generates a lazy combustion event that doesn't really begin until the exhaust valve is opening, and instead burns primarily in the exhaust tract, imparting all of its energy upon the turbo. This allows the car to generate significant boost even at idle speeds. However, it should be noted that the entire exhaust system comes under significant stress with the use of Anti-Lag Systems. Temperatures measured at the turbo can reach as high as 1100 celsius. Also, you get almost no engine braking effect as a result of some power being made during the power stroke, and more importantly, reduced vacuum resistance due to the open throttle.

ALS systems have become less and less popular as WRC rules have made them less and less effective overall. Also the introduction of VVT has changed how some anti-lag technology is deployed.

They probably would have liked it better with the manual box and something other than the red interior. Actually, the blue interior available on that model wasn't bad. The black interior is just classic.

And it's my controversial opinion that the facelifted Z31 hit it out of the park in terms of styling. Softening up those early 80s lines a bit really did a lot to the 300ZX's design.

I've seen no fewer than 6 of those, and almost bought no fewer than 2. I don't know what this "limited edition" nonsense is, unless they sold all of them in Texas, which is a very real possibility.

I've also almost bought a few Z31 Shiro Specials. Those really were limited. Only 1,002 were made. But the ones I found were absolutely trashed and the owners wanted huge sums of cash.

So retro, it hurts.

a neighbor of ours where I lived as a child had one of these in silver and every time he drove it out we'd gaze in amazement as it rolled past! Even after the Z32 came out I always felt it never had the visual appeal the older model had.. But I guess that's probably due to the fact I also loved the 240, 260 & 280 models too! Lovely cars!

Edited by spanner76

Is it just me or is John Davis starting to sound his age, with some of those slurred, slowed-down lines where once would have emanated the rapidfire staccato of television's original automotive journalist? It's hard to believe he's been at this for 35 years. The weight loss really took a number of years off him.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about? Couldn't have been very interesting.

Meanwhile, in China...

:blink:

I know, I know: that is absolutely deplorable...

but the immature delinquent in me can't help but think: that's actually kinda fuggin' awesome! You put that sh*t in an arena, an' I'd guarantee a sh*tload o' people would pay to see that... <_<

Because nothing says "don't mind me" like a Dodge pickup painted in the colors of the Third Reich.

Well 99.9% of the population wouldn't know if it's third reich and it's not like a camo truck wouldn't draw attention in general. I have a daily driver anyway.