That's kinda hot. B)) I like how the roof, window and beltlines are reminiscent of 60's-70's musclecar shapes. So long as they make sure there's plenty of room in that engine bay for forced-induction upgrades or engine swaps for tuners to stuff more horses under that long hood, then I'd say this thing should have a bright future.

Apparently Mazda have been developing a new rotary engine even after saying they killed the 16X project. Undoubtedly, then, this RX-Vision is the basis for an RX-9. Mazda is famous for delivering on its concepts. Especially when they say they've invested tons of money and time into a new powertrain that can only really find its way into just such a car. The question is, will it make it in time for the 2017 model year? That's 50 years since the first Mazda Cosmo Sport 110S- the first rotary production car.

some (Norwegian) American Muscle love.. Always been a fan of the Mercury Cyclone!

And here is one gorgeous 1967 Plymouth Barracuda for ya's!

Some more 240 love! This is an older video so im not sure if its been posted before but its still a joy to watch!

And while we're on the topic of 240's.. here are a couple more absolute beauties!

To cap it off here's a Datsun 510 with some serious cred!

apologies if any of these have been posted previously..

never been a Ferrari kinda person but a few models do tickle my fancy somewhat, the F-40 being one of them but I gotta say this 512 BBi sure is one gorgeous bit of kit too! :D

Even if money were no object I just couldn't see myself ever buying one which is strange to some who know me being half Italian but my heart is elsewhere. Don't get me wrong though as I do see the appeal in these cars!

But... im much more a Porsche 911 person. ^_^

Edited by spanner76

SA22C (FA/FB) is still the definitive RX-7 generation.

Cheap, quick(ish), and OH SO MUCH FUN! I had a '79 in high school, an '84 gslSE, and an '82 that was cobbled together from the remains of the street-ported 13b from the SE. The FD was soooo lust-worthy, but just didn't seem like an RX-7 to me. Rotorize a Miata and add a hatchback.... THAT'S how you bring back the RX-7.

How odd that I've driven something or other with (RX) in its name for over 20 years. (Original owner of '03 WRX as well, just hit 180k miles today actually!)

Cheap, quick(ish), and OH SO MUCH FUN! I had a '79 in high school, an '84 gslSE, and an '82 that was cobbled together from the remains of the street-ported 13b from the SE. The FD was soooo lust-worthy, but just didn't seem like an RX-7 to me. Rotorize a Miata and add a hatchback.... THAT'S how you bring back the RX-7.

How odd that I've driven something or other with (RX) in its name for over 20 years. (Original owner of '03 WRX as well, just hit 180k miles today actually!)

That would be quite do-able I reckon! slap on some new body panels, drop in the engine and vuala! New RX-7!

So, I disagree on a few points.

First off, I don't feel like the SA22C is the definitive RX-7. I think all 3 generations portrayed what RX-7 means perfectly, within the context of their eras. The basic Japanese 70s-sport performer, the sports-GT of the 80s, and the ultralight of the 90s. It's hard to pin one down as being a definitive version, because they really were all the same car, differentiated only by era, and each one is a perfect representation of Japanese sports cars in each period, as portrayed by the rotary engine. They all fit the formula. Only the details differ.

Second, rotary Miatas are rotary Miatas. They're not RX-7s. And why should they be? The RX-7 was just one Mazda rotary. Genesis was the Cosmo Sports 110SP, and we've had every RX-number through 8. Most rotary cars have been a variant on an existing car, and not the bespoke chassis the RX-7s and RX-8 were. That's not to say I think Mazda should build an RX-Miata. I actually had the chance to drive an NA today. It's really not a car that feels like the factory could have done more to it. If the car needs more than it's got, that really is up to the owner, and that's the beauty of that platform. It isn't all things to all people, it's the basic platform to provide everything you need to have the roadster you want.

I, for one, think an RX-9 on a new chassis, in the vein of the RX-7s, could be one of the best Japanese sports cars ever, and certainly the best one this decade. But I don't want another RX-7 and I don't want a rotary Miata. I want an RX-9, because Mazda is more than capable of carving out a new legacy for their next RX-car, without having it stand on the shoulders of giants.