STAR WARS Merchandise Episode - 2

Yeah, that new Poe X-Wing does look very accurate for a T-70. But, $100 is pretty steep. Hopefully it’ll go on sale. I’m finding I really do want it as, as I’ve said before, I like the T-70 quite a bit. Wish they’d make a model of the T-85 too. That thing looks like a brute!

Chris

On 10/7/2019 at 8:00 AM, peter said:

OK, checked it out a bit.  This one does appear to be a better sculpt with more gimmicks:

GUEST_c0322eee-4aad-4544-9982-5acfd1290c

GUEST_ea3ad908-5698-436a-acc2-dde1e3d7fd

GUEST_bd8d36c4-463b-4014-a507-55fdd9d3bf

GUEST_445a0beb-7a79-4da8-8990-a602bcf744

Still not sure it's worth $100 USD. but it does look pretty crisp.

Looks like it's probably better than the Legacy collection....at least it doesn't look like it will have saggy wings like the Legacy ones:

legacy-collection-lc-rouge-wedge-antille

Does look pretty solidly molded, and at least very close to being properly proportioned (albeit for a figure much smaller than 3.75" :p).  Sadly, $100 feels like the entry fee for any large scale vehicle at this point though.  They drop off pretty quickly, because no one wants to pay that much, but once they hit clearance bins, the stock runs out fast.  In the end, you wind up kicking yourself for balking at the retail price, when the only ones to be had are $300 on ebay.

That legacy X-Wing mold just gets worse every single time I see it though.  I bought the original Force FX electronic one, and even back then, I had to prop the wings open with a chunk of model sprue.  It's just such a lousy mechanism design, made even worse by rubbery wings that only loosely snap in.  The fender-bender nosecone is just the gasoline icing on that trashfire.

Edited by Chronocidal

I wish this new x-wing didn't have droopy wings. I had to put toothpicks under the wings to keep them from drooping in my older, similar version of it.. They went to all the trouble of weathering it, and putting more gimmicks on it, and yet, they forgot to address the droopy elephant in the room... Bummer. Poe's fighter does look more solid, but at that price, and with my current disappointment of the new sequels, it is an easy pass. 

OMG all this is very tempting, but i will have to pass for now. I do want to get that Mandalorian from you @sh9000 . That Mandalorian armor is a guilty pleasure of mine... which is perhaps the only thing i can afford right now, lol.

Better times are ahead, and we just need to power through the difficult ones! Full throttle!

Edited by vlenhoff

9 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

I do want to get that Mandalorian from you @sh9000 . That Mandalorian armor is a guilty pleasure of mine... which is perhaps the only thing i can afford right now, lol.

For sure.  I will let you know when it comes in.

49 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

For sure.  I will let you know when it comes in.

If you change your mind, I totally understand. I just didn't realize this thing would sold out so quickly. You planned ahead and I didn't. I really appreciate the gesture either way. 

8 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

If you change your mind, I totally understand. I just didn't realize this thing would sold out so quickly. You planned ahead and I didn't. I really appreciate the gesture either way. 

It’s no problem and I’m happy to help.

• 2 weeks later...

My kid got this toy set a few years ago when he was two or so, and the thing it still isn't broken and he's 4 and change now.  Not too bad, seems to have held up rather well. 

51U7gvsavrL.jpg

612lYtCAccL._SL1200_.jpg

I know it's not a perfect replica, but it's not horrible considering it the price point.

PA181718.JPG

I threw some Tamiya panel detail onto it think it looks bit less toyish, but he can still beat on it without worrying about breaking a fragile model.

PA171717.JPG

Before panel lining.

PA181719.JPG

After.

PA181720.JPG

PA181721.JPG

PA181723.JPG

PA181724.JPG

PA181725.JPG

I may have gone a little overboard with the panel lining.

On 10/22/2019 at 4:46 PM, Dobber said:

Another image of the T-85 from the upcoming Haynes Rebel starfighter book. I absolutely LOVE this design. I so want a model of it.  

C4A76145-4A6F-408A-A98A-F525FDA8F242.png.154ce43d18122a046ebb759a3f7fab53.png

Chris

While I like this more than the T-70, I would want a more "realistic" version, now the "toon" version, similar to how EC Henry did his.  I just wish they would fix the cockpit issue.  It still sits too low (poor forward visibility), and why can't it have a proper bubble, or at least rounded, canopy?

10 hours ago, sh9000 said:

B426E5D5-7C3E-41D9-BB04-20AFE836BF45.thumb.jpeg.b26c04bc0bc903395513b702e659b265.jpeg

I feel like this character would have been a whole lot more interesting if they hadn't revealed anything about her before the movie.  Part of what made Leia's bounty hunter disguise in ROTJ interesting was that you went in not knowing what was going on.

Edited by Chronocidal

14 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I feel like this character would have been a whole lot more interesting if they hadn't revealed anything about her before the movie.  Part of what made Leia's bounty hunter disguise in ROTJ interesting was that you went in not knowing what was going on.

Isn't that the one being played by Keri Russel?  That's all I know about it ATM.

On 10/26/2019 at 9:18 PM, tekering said:

Minus all those cobalt blue panels Revell added, of course.  <_<

I must be honest, i am not happy with what Disney did with the Last Jedi. I am hoping ep9 fixes things, but i am not holding my breath.

On 10/26/2019 at 7:18 PM, tekering said:

Minus all those cobalt blue panels Revell added, of course.  <_<

Lol, fixing that would be well beyond my skill level.

BTW, this has probably been discussed to death, but I was asleep at the wheel, but why Lando's version of the Falcon still look like it has patchwork paint?

pdfwHtm.jpg

It's supposed to be the same ship, but newer, and in better shape, but I thought the paint work on it would just be better, and at least somewhat match what it looks like by the time Han gets it.

On 10/28/2019 at 1:58 PM, peter said:

BTW, this has probably been discussed to death, but I was asleep at the wheel, but why Lando's version of the Falcon still look like it has patchwork paint?

It's supposed to be the same ship, but newer, and in better shape, but I thought the paint work on it would just be better, and at least somewhat match what it looks like by the time Han gets it.

You're asking a question that I'm fairly certain no one at Disney actually gave two seconds worth of thought to.  I've given up trying to understand anything about their (lack of) design philosophy for the new movies.  From what I recall, the designs from Solo that wound up as toys were astoundingly bad.

15 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

You're asking a question that I'm fairly certain no one at Disney actually gave two seconds worth of thought to.  I've given up trying to understand anything about their (lack of) design philosophy for the new movies.  From what I recall, the designs from Solo that wound up as toys were astoundingly bad.

See, I disagree.  I see a definite pattern there.  It just isn't one we understand.  A slightly more coherent pattern to the front might have helped but there is a design there.

I understand that Solo may have originally been planned as a trilogy, so I guess maybe they were going to show more modifications between the time Lando loses the falcon to Han, and the next time Lando actually sees the Falcon again....in Empire?

21 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I've given up trying to understand anything about their (lack of) design philosophy for the new movies.

It's simple; profit from merchandise based on existing designs goes to Lucasfilm, but profits from merchandise based on (at least 25%) new designs goes directly to Disney.  That's why bizarre little meaningless changes have been made to the X-Wings, A-Wings, TIE Fighters, etc. to make them legally distinct from the older designs.

It's even, apparently, why C-3PO inexplicably sported that ridiculous red arm.  <_<