STAR WARS Merchandise Episode - 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I do collect Hot Toys figures (much to my wallet's chagrin), and this will be going into the collection. The Luke-head-in-Vader-helmet is a nice touch. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry but after seeing this custom first (Link), Sith Fire 30's custom Darth Malgus puts Hasbro's version to shame.

Correction: It Force-chokes the Hasbro version, hits it with a bit of Force lightning, slaps it around a bit, slices and dices it up with a few choice lightsaber cuts, then Force hurls it into a million little bloody parts, chunks, and bits.

It's that freakin' good.

Sorry but after seeing this custom first (Link), Sith Fire 30's custom Darth Malgus puts Hasbro's version to shame.

Correction: It Force-chokes the Hasbro version, hits it with a bit of Force lightning, slaps it around a bit, slices and dices it up with a few choice lightsaber cuts, then Force hurls it into a million little bloody parts, chunks, and bits.

It's that freakin' good.

I love his work. Have you seen his Savage Opress?

^^Yeah, I think I've seen practically all of his works.

The level of detail he pulls off at such a small scale is nothing short of amazing.

He's easily the best Star Wars figure customizer out there.

• 1 month later...

Why do people insist on making these things in scales that give you a model the size of a micro-machine? I mean.. seriously. Fine Molds seems obsessed with that scale, and it cracks me up that the display base for their N-1 probably contains 10x the volume of plastic that the actual ship does. Even in 1/48th the N-1 was disappointingly tiny.

I never understood why companies never tried making larger scale Star Wars kits(*). It's not like the fighters are exactly big. I don't think the A-Wing is much larger than a Cessna 172, if that. And I have one of the pre-painted Revell kits of that Jedi Interceptor.. judging by the pilot figure, it's at least 1/32, but the kit can't be more than 6 inches long. Even an X-wing in 1/32 is still smaller than a lot of 1/48 aircraft.

I mean come on.. I have one of the figure-scaled A-Wings, and one of the Jedi Interceptors. They're not even as big as a 1/48 F-14.

(*)- Ertl sort of made a 1/32-ish X-Wing once, the fancy motorized electronic one. I'm probably overly harsh toward that kit, but I hate that they actually made it much less accurate than the old MPC kit. I could go into details, but this is neither the time, nor the place. ^_^

There are plenty of Studio Scale (1/20 etc) resin kits out there for Star Wars and to be honest - the market is flooded there. However many people don't have room for larger kits to display. Also smaller kits are a challenge unto themselves. I won't buy a kit in a scale larger than 1/72 these days. I prefer them all to be of the same scale and I enjoy the challenge of building smaller scale.

I understand people wanting things in the same scale, it's just that when the subject of a kit is so small to begin with, it makes sense to produce it in a bigger scale. Even in 1/24, many of these ships are smaller than a lot of 1/48 aircraft. They're just not big to begin with, so why not use a larger scale?

As for the resin kits, I've never gotten the impression that the market is flooded.. It always felt more a case of "let's see how many of these we can produce before we get a cease and desist." If they were licensed sure, but I don't think I've ever seen a licensed resin Star Wars kit. Granted, I've never liked working with resin anyway, so I don't keep up with them much, but they're usually garage kits.

I'm not worried about studio scale here, or kits being too big, I'm just wishing for something you don't need a pair of binoculars to see on your shelf across the room. :p No one seems to want to produce anything that makes a nice display piece. They're great if you want to have a shelf full of tiny ships, but even in 1/48, the X-Wing is still smaller than an F-16, and most of the ships are significantly smaller than that.

I just wish Fine Molds would expand the rest of their line to 1/48 to match. It's not like any of the other ships they've done would be anything I'd even call "big" if they did (except the Falcon of course).

Any figure under 6", I agree cloth just looks bulky and goofy. It just doesn't have enough weight to drape properly. The classic vinyl tended to tear, though (although Gentle Giant's 12" versions are plenty sturdy).

Best small figure cape that I own: "Super Powers Collection" Darkseid. Still without a tear after almost 30 years, and drapes beautifully. Then again, he was larger than the rest of the series.

• 4 weeks later...

My current set-up:

post-3595-0-25003600-1335595436_thumb.jpg

Never thought I'd get all those Phantom Menace figures. But the Palpatine figure was just too well-made, and I kept hearing a lot of good things about the Maul figure.

Unless they finally give us some KOTOR Sith Troopers (or I get a bigger place), I'm probably done with my collection.

There is nothing to worry about, we go way back Lando and me.

Aha! Someone else collected the old Action Fleet ships! :lol: That falcon was always one of my favorites. Surprisingly good proportions actually, if you ignore the size of the figures.

I always wanted to get the E-wing and Tie Defender, but never saw them in stores.

Aha! Someone else collected the old Action Fleet ships! :lol: That falcon was always one of my favorites. Surprisingly good proportions actually, if you ignore the size of the figures.

I always wanted to get the E-wing and Tie Defender, but never saw them in stores.

Thanks, yep since 1999 but still I'm searching the Falcon (any version) for the 3/4 scale figures, found some but too expensive.

I still got them both MIB in the case they came in. When I worked in Toys 'R' Us the store manager was going to dump them in a bargain bin I picked them up for $5.00 each about $60 for the whole case.

EDIT: for the record I am not the douche on Ebay selling them for $250+ a pop.

Edited by renegadeleader1

Wow, so you still have a dozen each of those? That's kind of amazing. If you ever want to sell of any, I'll be happy to buy a pair. :)

Oops let me clear that up, it was an assorted case, there were 2 of each of the Defender and E-wing. The rest were all different. I need to think long and hard about wether I want to part with them or not.