STAR WARS Merchandise Episode - 2

Found a topic on a modeling forum about someone building a studio scale replica turret, and whether the turret was meant to be the same size as the parts used suggest, a lot of the greeblies slapped onto its surface were some of the same parts used to detail up the surfaces of other ships. This was the one used in close-ups (I think only one was built), so minus any fancy camera work, it probably is the correct size compared with the studio-scaled fighters.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=136082

I love reading these types of articles though, they go into a detailed breakdown of where all the identifiable parts came from, down to which kits to buy to make your own. The gun barrels are apparently 1/32 MiG-21 engines. :lol:

Anyway, the only thing I can find consistent about the death star surface details is their inconsistency. They were assembled in whatever shape or form worked for filming, so there's really no rhyme or reason to how big or small they appear. This shot from inside the trench has several sections outlined, all of which were used for Bandai's stand tiles.

post-907-0-32539900-1457118737_thumb.jpg

The big section outlined in yellow is the base included in the Y-wing kit, the pink and green sections are the tiles used for the tie fighter and tie advanced kits, and the red section is roughly one quarter of the base included for the x-wing, with the other 3/4 coming from other details that I can't find a screen capture of.

Suffice to say, keeping in any kind of scale when dealing with the death star may be a good way to go crazy. :ph34r:

Careful asking that kind of question around modelers, you might get digitally tarred and feathered. :p

Are those the actual turrets they're coming out with though? If so, yeah, they just look way too tiny. Not bad against the surface, but the fighters throw everything off, because the turrets just don't look very threatening at that size. The turrets should be at least the size of the tile base itself, so it looks more like the size of a multi-crewed artillery emplacement, and less like a machine gun mount.

Though, maybe they're just planning ahead, since those look like they'd be roughly in scale with the new micro-scale ships they're planning.

One thing I would like to see though is a re-release of the x-wing kit without all the jigsaw colored pieces for the nose (or at least mold them all in gray so I don't have to cover the red plastic), and a wider selection of decals to make more than just Luke's ship.

Edited by Chronocidal

A-wing! Great! Hope they come with separate decals so we could deco it as Green wing or blue wing😁

Yup the B-wing is pretty much as wide as a Y-wing is long... Here's a pic of my 1/144 collections from Ftoys from a couple years back... With a 1/144 super hikaru 😁

post-4730-0-91650700-1457154747_thumb.jpeg

Just need BWing, TIE interceptor and TIE bomber and we're all set for OT. I would love for a X-wing re release with possibles to do deco it up in Wedge from either ANH or ROTJ!

The markings aren't hard to do yourself (with a decent amount of research) but yeah, there are a lot of different panels and colored portions on the other x-wings.

I might see if I can use the references on that site about the turret to make a bigger one than they plan on including. Might be able to make a shapeways kit for it, but the bulk of it would be easiest to make with sheet styrene.

A-wing! Great! Hope they come with separate decals so we could deco it as Green wing or blue wing

Yup the B-wing is pretty much as wide as a Y-wing is long... Here's a pic of my 1/144 collections from Ftoys from a couple years back... With a 1/144 super hikaru

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Just need BWing, TIE interceptor and TIE bomber and we're all set for OT. I would love for a X-wing re release with possibles to do deco it up in Wedge from either ANH or ROTJ!

Great collection!

The F-toys line was great but it is a bit hard to catch up now due to its scarcity. For their size, they are defnitely better than the alternatives of Titanium and Deagonstini. F-Toys had the merits of being Finemolds designed which was the gold standard before Bandai came in and covered both starfighters and ground vehicles in approximate 1/144 scale. The next best thing would be the Bandai Vehicle Model line.

Edited by calubin_175

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe the small Mecha kits will go nicely with the Turbo laser tower ;)

Crap, now I just thought of a reason to get those little kits.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I might measure out the tower parts to make a CAD copy to send to Shapeways, and scale them up so the top tower segment and turret are the same footprint as the stand base. Should be a pretty simple kit, but I don't know how fine the detail will get that way.

Really, I wish they'd just issue a stand-alone turret kit at the correct size. As it is, that turret looks about the size of a dumpster, with a trooper hiding inside with a couple rifles poking out the lid. :p

As it is, that turret looks about the size of a dumpster, with a trooper hiding inside with a couple rifles poking out the lid. :p

Oscar the Grouch has gone militant! Or is one of those end of the world prepers! :p

Edited by Dobber

• 4 weeks later...
Star War The Third Gathers: Backstroke of the West

Chinese bootleg of Episode Three, with the bad English subtitles dubbed in in place of the original dialog. Makes the movie better, I think!