STAR WARS Merchandise Episode - 2

I'm basically only collecting the 6" Hasbro Black Series First Order figures from TFA, although I got Poe as well, as he was in the two-pack with the riot control Stormtrooper. I really love the First Order Stormtrooper armour design.

So far, for TFA 6" figures I've got:

• 2 x Hasbro 6" Comicon First Order Stormtroopers.
  • 1 x Hasbro 6" Captain Phasma.
  • 1 x Hasbro 6" Kylo Ren.
  • 1 x Hasbro 6" First Order Snowtrooper officer (red pauldron).
  • 1 x Hasbro 6" Finn in First Order Stormtrooper armor with removable blood stained helmet.
  • 1 x Hasbro 6" First Order Flametrooper.
  • 1 x Hasbro 6" First Order Stormtrooper Officer w/red pauldron (part of the 4 pack that also included phase 1 & 2 armor Clonetroopers and an Imperial Stormtrooper).
  • 1 x Hasbro 6" First order Riot Stormtrooper w shield and tonfa (2 pack with Poe Dameron).
  • 1 x Bandai 6" First Order Stormtrooper model kit (perfect size match with the Hasbro 6" Black series figures).

Well, I also bought the Disney die-cast Resistance X-wings (Poe and Standard) and First Order Tie Fighters (Standard and Special Forces), until a better alternative comes along.............waiting for some actual pics of the upcoming Hot Wheels Elite series First Order TIEs and Resistance X-wings.

I'm also sorely tempted by the upcoming Hot Toys/Sideshow 1/6 scale First Order Stormtrooper figures.

Graham

Guest davidwhangchoi

I'm basically only collecting the 6" Hasbro Black Series First Order figures from TFA, although I got Poe as well, as he was in the two-pack with the riot control Stormtrooper. I really love the First Order Stormtrooper armour design.

So far, for TFA 6" figures I've got:

2 x 6" Comicon First Order Stormtroopers.

1 x 6" Captain Phasma.

1 x 6" Kylo Ren.

1 x 6" First Order Snowtrooper officer (red pauldron).

1 x 6" Finn in First Order Stormtrooper armor with removable helmet.

1 x 6" First Order Flametrooper.

1 x 6" First Order Stormtrooper Officer w/red pauldron (part of the 4 pack that featured a phase 1 & 2 armor Clonetroopers and an Imperial Stormtrooper).

1 x 6" First order Riot Stormtrooper w shield and tonfa (2 pack with Poe Dameron).

Well, I also bought the Disney die-cast Resistance X-wings (Poe and Standard) and First Order Tie Fighters (Standard and Special Forces), until a better alternative comes along.............waiting for some actual pics of the upcoming Hot Wheels Elite series First Order TIEs and Resistance X-wings.

I'm also sorely tempted by the upcoming Hot Toys/Sideshow 1/6 scale First Order Storm Trooper figures.

Graham

edit: electric indigo posted a picture already

not a storm trooper, but hottoys just announced

581911_10153263895357344_609782620066352

TFA Rey Collectible Figure

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153263895332344.1073742438.58690437343&type=3

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Trying to stop myself from buying the Black Series TIE/SF. It just looks so awesome.

I'd have to keep it at work though, wife would go ballistic if I bought such a huge toy home.

Still, my resistance is weakening.

Graham

I'm still waiting for them to do a new X-wing to scale to go along with that TIE/SF. It would be huge, but I don't care, it would be a thing of beauty. Hell they went through the trouble of making that Falcon, why not the X-wing?!?!? I just want something better than what they're offering for the 3.75" line. Patience I know, we have two whole other films to go.

It's going to get crazy here in a little while, what with the Rogue One merchandising of the OT look to go along with the TFA toys. TRU is going to need a whole section just for Star Wars. Crazy times we're living in.

Just like in one of the earlier posts, it's too bad that dragon didn't got for a more common scale like 1/48 to match up with the bandai kits. Unless they're contractually bound not to do1/48. would have been great to get a 1/48 to go with the other 1/48 kits esp the at-st and snow speeder. Perhaps bandai has one in the works...

Yeah, I'm still clamouring for more capital ships from Star Wars... Bandai has done capital ships before from Yamato2199 and previously in their EX model line... Hoping for some kind of announcement this year!

Just like in one of the earlier posts, it's too bad that dragon didn't got for a more common scale like 1/48 to match up with the bandai kits. Unless they're contractually bound not to do1/48. would have been great to get a 1/48 to go with the other 1/48 kits esp the at-st and snow speeder. Perhaps bandai has one in the works...

Yeah, I'm still clamouring for more capital ships from Star Wars... Bandai has done capital ships before from Yamato2199 and previously in their EX model line... Hoping for some kind of announcement this year!

The funny thing with Star Wars model kits is that capital ships are almost never done as a subject. There have been huge numbers of X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Millenium Falcon kits made but the big, fancy warships are almost never touched. I mean, the last Imperial Star Destroyer kit is from the 1980s!

Edited by Warmaker

Is it safe to buy Poe's black X-wing toy yet? I'm aware of the bent wing laser cannons and nose cones issue, and it's the reason I specifically bought the Walmart blue/white type for my kid for Xmas, which fixed that issue (and can confirm).

Also, I recently found and bought a Revell Level 2 Poe black X-wing kit, and I'm thoroughly disappointed. I'm not even 2 steps into the build, after already doing some base level detailing, when I noticed that one of the sprues is missing a piece! I had to double and triple check everything to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. The sprue where it's supposed to be at, looks like it was either blocked or didn't take and somehow got past the QC/bagging stage. I looked everywhere for the piece and it's nowhere. It's one of the bigger panels for the inside of the wings.

That being said, it's bigger than the Bandai kit, but the plastic feels cheap and toy-like as opposed to what Bandai uses. Way less detail. Overall proportions seemed decent and not "off" and toyish looking like the Level 1 kit. And I don't remember seeing a pilot. It has a little BB-8, but thats it. I'm planning on seeing if I can get it exchanged. Get it only if you can't get your hands on the Bandai kit.
I'm antsy for a bigger kit and a bigger, better detailed toy.

I'd probably shell out a little more for any of the "Armada" tabletop miniatures, just because I don't think I've ever been impressed in the slightest by any sort of die-cast collectible anything. Their star destroyer is also about 8", but looks more like a display model than your typical mass produced toy.

Edit: Yeah, take a closer look at that die-cast star destroyer.. the bridge section is plastic, and they didn't even bother to mold the lower half of it. <_<

Edited by Chronocidal

I'd probably shell out a little more for any of the "Armada" tabletop miniatures, just because I don't think I've ever been impressed in the slightest by any sort of die-cast collectible anything. Their star destroyer is also about 8", but looks more like a display model than your typical mass produced toy.Edit: Yeah, take a closer look at that die-cast star destroyer.. the bridge section is plastic, and they didn't even bother to mold the lower half of it. <_<

If you are referring to the Disney SD. The lower part of the tower IS molded. The product photo is wrong. I have 2 of them.

A95B07B3-0F1D-4811-B839-DA61C89C523B_zps

9B5FD561-3D3D-44C7-A9E8-F4B76E0E9FEC_zps

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I have both the Disney and the FFG Armada Mini. Between the 2 I prefer the Disney Diecast one. It is a little larger and I think a little better proportioned. The Armada mini looks just a tad stubby to my eye. It does, however get points for the better paint job, even if it is a bit heavy handed with the wash and also some better detailing in the trenches and super structure. The Disney one just needs a little TLC with a quick repaint and it'll be great. It has the nice long and slender prow that is missing from most SD replica's. Plus it's about $20-$30 cheaper than the Armada mini. I can post comparison pic's of the 2 if you'd like.

Chris

So Bandai is giving us a long awaited Star Destroyer - and then it's only 10 cm long!?

WTF?! I was so looking forward to this.

COME ON Bandai!! give us about an 18-24" Star Destroyer! Hell, make it the one from TFA! I'll buy it! Never really got a good look at it on screen, I want to know more!

EXACTLY - you took the thoughts right out of my mind!!!

I have both the Disney and the FFG Armada Mini. Between the 2 I prefer the Disney Diecast one. It is a little larger and I think a little better proportioned. The Armada mini looks just a tad stubby to my eye. It does, however get points for the better paint job, even if it is a bit heavy handed with the wash and also some better detailing in the trenches and super structure. The Disney one just needs a little TLC with a quick repaint and it'll be great. It has the nice long and slender prow that is missing from most SD replica's. Plus it's about $20-$30 cheaper than the Armada mini. I can post comparison pic's of the 2 if you'd like.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I never even knew about this toy - I just might have to pick up one myself to hold me over. I love the design, just never got my hand on one of the decent resin ones over the years and now I have no time to build it anyways.

A lot of the the X-Wing and Armada miniatures are boxed extortion. They look really good and aside from the game would be cool to have a ton of but those prices just....nope. (Until they come out with a 4-5 foot long SSD and then they can print their own money from my bank account.)

Glad to know the disney one isn't what that photo showed, wonder if they just slapped prototype pics up on the site.

The prices I tend to see in my local hobby shop for the game pieces are indeed ridiculous, like $15 for one fighter (and whatever game content comes with them), and the capital ships tend to be 3-4 times that.

The only ones I've ever seriously considered buying were the larger ships though, and those seem to pop up fairly regularly on clearance on Amazon. The fighters are too small for me to care about, but the Falcon, Imperial shuttle, and other similarly sized ships seem to show up pretty regularly for $20-$25, which is about my upper limit.

For me, the real benefit is that the game developers just love tackling those obscure designs that no one outside of resin garage kit makers ever seems to bother with. I did decide to spring for their Tantive IV model, since it's the perfect size to display alongside my Diamond Select Trek ships, and I might pick up that rebel transport as well just for uniqueness.

Edited by Chronocidal

Ok here is a compairison review of the Disney Diecast and the Fantacy Flight Games Star Wars Armada Imperial Stardestroyers. As you can see the detailing on the FFG ship is definately superior but that's not to say the Disney version is bad either. Now where the FFG may have more fine detail it also comes with a pretty heavy wash. The Disney is also slightly larger and I also feel the FFG is a little stubby looking compared to the Disney which I feel has more of the correct shape of the Star destroyer. The Disney also has a much better reactor dome but the FFG does come with a stand, which also happens to attach at the dome. The FFG also has these strange raised "brace-like" details that stretch across the hull horizontally. This detail is not on the SD as far as I know. IMO, both models would benefit from a repaint....the Disney to detail it up a bit and the FFG to time it down a little. For their respective prices, I feel the Disney is the better buy at $20. It is a little more lacking in detail but I love the overall shape and slenderness of the ship compared with the FFG which comes in at $50-$60.

post-265-0-43872400-1453855999_thumb.jpeg

post-265-0-84931800-1453856146_thumb.jpeg

Note the "braces" stretching across the hull

post-265-0-00104000-1453856238_thumb.jpeg

post-265-0-23288400-1453856282_thumb.jpeg

Note the missing detail on the Disney SD

post-265-0-52079700-1453856309_thumb.jpeg

post-265-0-32204900-1453856343_thumb.jpeg

post-265-0-85453000-1453856383_thumb.jpeg

post-265-0-44750000-1453856943_thumb.jpeg

post-265-0-82849100-1453857160_thumb.jpeg

In formation with the FFG Victory class SD

post-265-0-35733800-1453857275_thumb.jpeg

post-265-0-87555000-1453857372_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Dobber

@Dobber

I have that Disney ISD. Got it for about $15. For what it is, not bad at all. Regarding the repainting, yes, it would need it, and then some. The issue to me is the different materials on the dorsal side of the ship.

The hull is mostly done in metal. It is painted, has the scribed in lines and a light wash.

The superstructure however is plastic. It isn't painted and the scribed in lines aren't deep, and the wash is much lighter compared to the rest of the ship.

Excuse my shitty photography with my phone. It's kind of blurry but the picture still gets off the big contrast between the superstructure and hull.

UAzNgDs.jpg

To me, the difference between the hull and superstructure is pretty substantial. It didn't bother me at first but the more I looked at it, the more glaring it became. But again, it's a fairly cheap buy. I gave it slack because the warships of Star Wars are underrepresented in merchandise. You can find a million Stormtrooper, Clone trooper figures, a bunch of X-Wing/TIE Fighter toys and model kits. But goodness, you want a warship? Good luck!

Edit: You are also correct in that the ISD did not have that brace-thingie on the hull. Example is the actual studio model used for the Avenger for filming.

Edited by Warmaker

The engine nozzles on the Disney one look like tubes, not cones. Is that right?

I just came across this pic: http://www.modelermagic.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/KG_AVENGER_STUDIO_MODEL-113.jpg

And the bow is nothing but a butt-load of battleship/cruiser turrets, layered on each other. With a bridge/conning tower or two. (at first glance, looks kinda German, maybe some American stuff in there) I bet there's a Bismarck kit (or 10) in the original model.

Going a bit further along the sides of the bow, I see even more conning tower platforms---like where the directors and AA mounts would be, but flipped upside down. (there's a couple like that right in the very tip of the bow too, but they're more obvious along the sides). I darn-near want to say Iowa/South Dakota-class parts there. http://www.modelermagic.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/KG_AVENGER_STUDIO_MODEL-032.jpg

The engine nozzles on the Disney one look like tubes, not cones. Is that right?

Correct. It doesn't have the cone appearance like the studio model did.

Speaking of Star Destroyers, I dug up Bandai's Star Wars display that showcased their take on the ISD. They did this to promote them getting the license to do Star Wars kits. Sadly, there has been zero mention from Bandai about this since the display from 2014. I have been waiting a damn long time for some company to make a new ISD kit. Something new with today's technology instead of those ancient Ertl ISD kits from the 80s. Which are STILL the only officially licensed ISD kits ever made.

They're releasing the 10cm Mecha Colle sized star Destroyer instead. I think it parallel's the case of Yamato 2199's Desula II not getting a 1/1000 due to it being 660m conceptually and they only opt for the 10cm Mecha Colle ver.

But if they were to release a 20-30cm ver Star Destroyer, it would be great. They probably had a better chance of selling a 45-60cm ver if they could sell direct outside of Japan. Looks like the 1/72 AT-AT has also been canned due to Japanese small living space.

Thanks for the comparison between the Disney and FFG Star Destoyers! I caved in and bought the FFG one off Amazon, at about US$38. Picked up a Home One too! I would have gotten the Disney one as well, but unfortunately Disney store doesn't ship overseas. Bummer...

It's too bad the Bandai one is so small... 10cm! I'll stick pick up one to see how's the detail on that thing, but yeah, 20-30 would have been ideal.

Actually, does anyone remember when Bandai had the ST license a few years back, and they made a bunch of Enterprises with light up functions?

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/ban/build_ban_916424.shtml

Wouldn't it be great if they could revisit this concept, and give us a bunch of SW capital ships, eg Star Destoyers, Mon Cals, Corellian Corvettes, Frigates... I know I would get every one of them...

I'm considering the FFG Tantive IV, someone at another board is going for re-paint, and I'm looking forward to see what you can do with it.

This ship really isn't a bad display, considering that the only other available mass produced version was some horribly mis-proportioned monstrosity with lights and sounds from years back.

I've seen a couple comparisons to the original studio model, and it's not perfect by any means, since some bits are differently shaped, and the proportions are a little different. On the other hand, they did their research... the underside of the ship isn't symmetrical, and though you never saw it in the movies since it was only filmed from the other side, this ship still has the boarding ramp hatch they intended to use for when this ship was still meant to be the Millennium Falcon. :lol:

My biggest pet peeve is that the upper and lower turret mounts look too big. I might do a little surgery and rework those so the bases are smaller, and allow the guns to pivot better.