STAR WARS Merchandise Episode - 2

Not quite sure which thread to put this in, but:

Does anyone know if the markings on the new X-wing wings, mean anything? I mean, originally, you could easily tell Red Leader, 2, 3, 5 etc by the number of stripes on the trailing edge.

But now---they all seem the same. Every X-wing that I can tell, has "3 colored, and 2 silver" stripes. Poe's regular blue one, Poe's black one, and the "closest one to the screen" when Poe's flying his black one. (which AFAIK isn't Blue 3---I've yet to find a clear shot of Blue 3's wings).

Either they've abandoned that system, or the CGI/modeler guys didn't realize what they meant and unintentionally made them all the same.

Good question David, PERSONALLY, I'm taking it as ignorance or laziness on the modelers part. I have 5 bandai T-70 kits and plan on marking them with different numbers of stripes on the wings and nose. Officially, though, I don't think this has been addressed.

Chris

I'd buy the laziness/expediency explanation, but ignorance?... not possible nowadays; the modelers, physical and CG, would need to willfully avoid, from the time they were kids, absolutely all the available source materials, publications, and previously released model kits from the OT in order to not know that the wing bars on the T-70s correlate with the fighter's call-sign.

Edited by mechaninac

I'd buy the laziness/expediency explanation, but ignorance?... not possible nowadays; the modelers, physical and CG, would need to willfully avoid, from the time they were kids, absolutely all the available source materials, publications, and previously released model kits from the OT in order to not know that the wing bars on the T-70s correlate with the fighter's call-sign.

I didn't know that until today.

I would agree with that if it was just the Blue Squadron X-wings but Poe's Black 1, both CG model and full size prop, have 3 Orange stripes and 2 grey. It makes no sense. I really am NOT bashing JJ or the the designers or who ever made these decisions, as I LOVE this movie, but it does seem similar to things that were done with JJ's Star Trek, where they just obviously didn't understand the details for things. That's where the ignorance comes in.

Chris

I'm getting to where I don't think the CGI guys even give a second thought to stuff like this anymore. They clearly didn't on the special editions, since they just copy-pasted identical R2 units into each and every ship in the battle at Yavin.

In reality though, even though the original movies had models made with those markings, they weren't necessarily used correctly during filming, because certain models were set up to be filmed in certain positions. I recently watched ANH closely to look for the markings, and they were all over the map for which filming models were used for which characters. Some shots of Luke, Biggs, and Wedge flying together looked like they were composites using two copies of Luke's ship, along with Biggs's in the background.

Yeah, the ANH X-wings have a LOT of differences...mainly in markings ect. Though Biggs' Red 3 has some key structural differences like a shorter differently shaped nose cone and 1 shorter engine. The old Fine Molds model actually got most of the structural differences, and gave options for whichever Red squad X-wing you would want EXCEPT the biggest one the nose! The 1/72 Bandai kit was, as far as I know, the first mainstream model kit to have an accurate nose for Red 5 (which incidentally all other X-wings besides Red 3 have) all the other kits use the short Red 3 nose.

Chris

I wouldn't have known about the markings unless I had built the 1:48 Finemolds Xwing a few years ago, and I'm a pretty huge SW nut, so I can't blame the cgi guys too much

I'm pretty sure the FM 1/48 X-wing is based on the big 5ft model of Red 3 that was never used in film. Which is just silly because everyone markets Luke's Red 5 but no one until Bandai made an actual Red 5 kit. Lol! Most people don't know or care so I get it...but once you know, you can't un-know. ;)

Chris

I've always thought that the differences in the rebel crafts stem from the fact that they are not a standing military force. So it would make sense if their equipment has much more irregularities than the Imperial forces. The rebels just assembled their forces form many different sources that's why they are all scuffed up and not as shiny as the Imperial Tie-Fighters.

I'm getting to where I don't think the CGI guys even give a second thought to stuff like this anymore. They clearly didn't on the special editions, since they just copy-pasted identical R2 units into each and every ship in the battle at Yavin.

In reality though, even though the original movies had models made with those markings, they weren't necessarily used correctly during filming, because certain models were set up to be filmed in certain positions. I recently watched ANH closely to look for the markings, and they were all over the map for which filming models were used for which characters. Some shots of Luke, Biggs, and Wedge flying together looked like they were composites using two copies of Luke's ship, along with Biggs's in the background.

If anything, it comes down to the CG Supervisor who's supposed to know and oversee stuff like this. If that person wasn't in the know of the markings, like many of you have also found, then it could just be a slip. The CG crew guys, the ones working on the shots and scenes, don't get any kind of say during the process. When working on movies, it's very "shut up, do your job". People probably did know, but it either got shut up or pushed aside to make up some time.

Also of note, they did mention Red and Blue squadrons, but I never saw any "Red" marked X-wings, so my guess is to save some time, they made the 1 CG model and colored it the grey/blue, cloned it, flipped the switch on a negative filter and got Poe's black/orange X-wing and called it good. Just make a handful of grey/blue copies and throw them into the scenes as necessary. Heh, maybe they'll "fix" it for the future Special Editions. :ph34r::D

Bandai's 1/12 First Order Stormtrooper completed. Need to paint the gun and whatever his baton anti lightsaber stick is to be movie accurate later on. Added the blue energy effect for fun.

Riot Control Stormtrooper is officially my favorite character in the entirety of the Star Wars fictional universe.

QFT! It was so great to see a stormtrooper just come out of nowhere and throw down with a guy with a lightsaber! I want some backstory on THAT guy! :lol:

FN-2199:

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/01/star-wars-the-force-awakens-traitor-trooper-officially-named-given-backstory.html

Well, this IS Star Wars. Those mosquito dude's at Maz's watering hole will probably have their own comic series at some point too.

Does anyone know if there is anybody or a website out there who has translated the Japanese instructions for any of the new Bandai Star Wars kits? So far all the figure and small kits have been easy to figure out from the pics, you can pretty much deduce what's going on from the pictures. I opened up the new 1/72 Y-wing and it is a bit more complex. English translations of the directions would be helpful. I found a website once that had some of the old Macross kits instructions translated, that helps a lot. Thanks in advance!

Edit...nevermind! Should have Googled first!

http://www.mech9.com/2015/08/172-y-wing-star-fighter-construction.html

X-wing, Y-wing, figure kits as well!

Full Star Wars lineup link

http://www.mech9.com/search/label/Star%20Wars

Edited by derex3592

If he did survive he needs a promotion and some awesome custom armor, because all Phasma did was get konked on the head gave up the enemy base and ultimate space weapon then got thrown out with the garbage.

Hopefully If Phasma survived she can make up for her massive failure and do something besides being amazing eye candy.

I was just reading an article about this Stormtrooper and turns out he not only has a designation but a nickname too.

Nines ( probably for the double 9's) and does have some back story in one of the books.

I never would have known if this thread weren't around I might not have got the curiosity to google it.

Phasma was confirmed by Abrams that she will be returning in VIII.

After various nerd rage hate mail sessions.

i was hoping she was crushed in the garbage disposal like the original ANH rescue crew almost were. she was so beyond useless. brianne the beauty would be ashamed. lol.

Edited by Mechapilot77

Trying to stop myself from buying the Black Series TIE/SF. It just looks so awesome.

I'd have to keep it at work though, wife would go ballistic if I bought such a huge toy home.

Still, my resistance is weakening.

Graham

Resistance Is Futile... ohh wait...wrong series... speaking of not resisting..

post-11393-0-64519200-1452613875_thumb.jpeg

Guest davidwhangchoi

any get Star Wars The Force Awakens 3.75-Inch Figure Troop Builder 7-Pack [Amazon Exclusive]

i just impulse brought it. don't know why :unsure:

any get Star Wars The Force Awakens 3.75-Inch Figure Troop Builder 7-Pack [Amazon Exclusive]

i just impulse brought it. don't know why :unsure:

I made a decision not to collect any of the 3.75 inch TFA figures due to their 5 point articulation. I'm sticking to the Black Series 6 inch TFA figures only.

Still, that is a nice pack and I think the only way at the moment to get the heavy trooper or whatever they call him (the one with the chest rig and big gun). Hope they release that as a 6".

Guest davidwhangchoi

I made a decision not to collect any of the 3.75 inch TFA figures due to their 5 point articulation. I'm sticking to the Black Series 6 inch TFA figures only.

Still, that is a nice pack and I think the only way at the moment to get the heavy trooper or whatever they call him (the one with the chest rig and big gun). Hope they release that as a 6".

it's my first star wars figure ever. i'll look into the 6" TFA figures a bit.

Same here, until I didn't purchase any SW-TFA merchandise, the Wallmart exclusive are expensive. Really disappointed with Millennium Falcon.