1/48+fp's, 1/60+fp's, 1/72, 1/2k, 1/3k,1/100 and now 1/144

VF-18S Hornet

change in thread topic  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this change in topic

2. 2. Or do you prefer a part five

I guess it's supposed to be anime accurate or some such nonsense (someone said it doesn't collapse in the show??) but I think making the thing collapse would make the whole landing gear situation not so ridiculous.

Edit: hahah, beaten again by a minute! :)

I do blame Bandai a little for it because anime accuracy is asinine sometimes. It's not a deal breaker for the toy though cause it's a pretty toy. It's just that it would have been nice to add that in so that the landing gear clears the gun cleanly.

Edited by xrentonx

Nothing new here. Just an old toy.

I was rearranging my display case and realized that I've never seen my VT-1 in battroid mode before. I've always been afraid to transform it because I was afraid the shoulder parts would break since they came cracked out of the box. I said to myself, "F- it. Here goes...", and fully transformed it for the first time despite having this thing for years.

My tastes/perceptions must have changed over the years because I used to think the VT-1's battroid mode looked stupid with that "head", but now I think it actually looks pretty good.

VT-1_Battroid_01.jpg

VT-1_Battroid_02.jpg

VT-1_Battroid_04.jpg

VT-1_Battroid_05.jpg

VT-1_Battroid_06.jpg

And yes, I only just realized that I forgot to open up the sides of the "head" unit before taking the pics.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

I was rearranging my display case and realized that I've never seen my VT-1 in battroid mode before. I've always been afraid to transform it because I was afraid the shoulder parts would break since they came cracked out of the box. I said to myself, "F- it. Here goes...", and fully transformed it for the first time despite having this thing for years.

My tastes/perceptions must have changed over the years because I used to think the VT-1's battroid mode looked stupid with that "head", but now I think it actually looks pretty good.

VT-1_Battroid_01.jpg

VT-1_Battroid_02.jpg

VT-1_Battroid_04.jpg

VT-1_Battroid_05.jpg

VT-1_Battroid_06.jpg

And yes, I only just realized that I forgot to open up the sides of the "head" unit before taking the pics.

Probably the most beautiful VT-1 ever...Great job!

No way, man...that's Spy Vs Spy

Wow Spy vs Spy that's cute it didn't occur to me that there is a similarity between the two good call on that one xrentonx.

Macrossjunkie, did you panel line your VT-1? It looks like it was panel ine on the chest part

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Wow Spy vs Spy that's cute it didn't occur to me that there is a similarity between the two good call on that one xrentonx.

Macrossjunkie, did you panel line your VT-1? It looks like it was panel ine on the chest part

Yes, I did. I panel lined, weathered and applied a flat coat to it. I think I put up pics of it one or two years ago but never had it in battroid mode until now.

Here's some old pics of it in fighter mode if you're curious.

VT-1%25202.JPG

VT-1_fighter_03.JPG

VT-1_fighter_01.JPG

EDIT: Changed the links on all my pics on the past few pages so they go straight to the full size image instead of merely a full screen view in picasa which sucked, imo.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

I don't have the guts to panel line it myself...so afraid that I might mess it up :p

I know what you mean. I look at that and think it looks amazing but can't bring myself to try it. I might just find a loose VF-1 on ebay or wait for a HLJ sale to get one to practice on.

I agree the panel lining on this orange guy looks awesome, but a little torn on the blur around the panel lines.

Part of me likes it, like maybe rust is leaching out from the crevice onto the rest of the frame, but part of me likes cleaner panel lines...

I'm hoping for a reissue of the DYRL two seaters too, I never did get to pick up a VE-1. I've always kind of wished I had the guts to weather my valks, but never wanted to cross the line from "playable" to "careful, you might scratch it!" It's bad enough the Bandai valks are already like that. :p

About the VT-1's head though.. I do agree it's very interesting, but I never quite understood the design, since it always seems out of place in fighter. On the other hand, I love how it looks if you stick the 1D's head on the VT-1.

If I had the spares to customize, I think it'd be fun to swap the booster packs from the VE-1 onto the VT-1, replace the sensor array domes with standard missile launchers or strike cannons, and paint everything into a combat training scheme. It always seemed odd to me that the VT-1 had no weapons... it should've at least had a head laser or something for utility purposes.

I agree the panel lining on this orange guy looks awesome, but a little torn on the blur around the panel lines.

Part of me likes it, like maybe rust is leaching out from the crevice onto the rest of the frame, but part of me likes cleaner panel lines...

The "blur" around the panel lines is part of the weathering. It was one of my earliest attempts at post shading using pigmented powders.

The idea of the post shading is to give recessed areas more depth by shading the areas much like how someone illustrating a 2D drawing would shade in areas, or simulate areas where soot, dirt, grime, etc gather along the areas of crevices and gaps causing those areas to look a darker shade than the base.

I did a quick google search for an example where the areas around the panel lines are darker:

post-10222-0-25522700-1343943106_thumb.jpg

Being one of my early attempts, the post shading on the chest area of my VT-1 is too heavy and solid, which I should have gone back and fixed but I was having trouble getting the panel lines to stay as the grooves for the panel lines were so shallow as to be nearly non-existant that touching it caused them to rub off. I had spent hours doing and redoing the chest already so I probably said screw it and went with what I had. I did a decent job on the wings but I should have gone even more subtle than that.

Using an airbrush, I went with a more subtle approach with my Max VF-1A.

VF-1A_TV_Max_01.JPG

Also done with an airbrush was my Roy VF-1S with slightly heavier weathering:

VF-1S_TV_Roy_01.JPG

An example of a subtle approach using pigmented powders is my VF-11C:

VF-11C_fighter_01.JPG

A less subtle, heavier weathering and post shading was done for Max's VF-22S for Operation Stargazer where he folds in, proceeds to launch a million missiles and blows up an army of Varauta valks in his way, flies into a tunnel, dodges beams in said narrow tunnel, blows stuff up and flies through the explosion clouds... like a boss.

VF-22S_max_fighter_02.JPG