1/48+fp's, 1/60+fp's, 1/72, 1/2k, 1/3k,1/100 and now 1/144

VF-18S Hornet

change in thread topic  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this change in topic

2. 2. Or do you prefer a part five

2 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Nice!! I still have not taken my Angel Bird out for display yet.

That stands does your AB & Fan racer justice! 

Thanks! It’s pretty much exactly or even better than I had in mind when getting the stand so I’m pretty happy. I don’t think I got 2 ABs but now I’m thinking maybe I should have to maximize the use of the stand. 

Not entirely Macross, but was playing around with Sentinel's Legioss recently & it struck me again how small it is next to the VF-1. And then I'm reminded that the VF-1 itself is also very small next to the SV-51.  SV-51 is just such a large bird, but the way it is animated in the show makes it look like the most maneuverable fighter ever.

VF-1JvLegiossETANRMnt.jpg.d3a994331ba58e192b02f44ed50bdff0.jpg

SV-51vVF-1NRMnt.jpg.6c84578bbc5ccd54a0a88d7c83cdec92.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not very sure where to put this, so I'll just post here some comparison of cockpits & pilots between the 1/60 Mac+ valks:

Yammie's YF-21 Fighter may still look very handsome today, but pop open the cockpit and Guld doesn't look very good. He's more or less a rough big blob squashed in the cockpit, with just enough detail to see his zen-like hand posture. Cockpit interior also has barely any detail, with some plastic sticking out that supposedly emulates the flight stick & throttle.

YamatoYF-21PilotNRM2nt.jpg.a907b4063232fe810b2467afa44d2b02.jpg

Moving on to the VF-11b, Yamato tampoed on some nice cockpit screen detailing, but one of my top favourite party trick of any Macross valk toy, is the removable cockpit module. I suppose, this feature of the VF-11b is to emulate the escape pod module seen in jets like the F-111 Aardvark. In this VF-11b toy, what I'm stoked about is how well toleranced the cockpit module is sitting very flush in the nose of the jet.

However, the pilot figure's proportions are also quite off, looking pretty wide.

VF-11BCockpitv1.1NRM2nt.JPG.644db441e0fdb1e17a7a10bedf44b4c8.JPG

VF-11BCapsuleNRM2nt.JPG.73748303305530f9bcf32436db1f9ae8.JPG 

Arcadia stepped up and gave nicely proportioned and sharper Isamu & Yang figures for their YF-19. I like how they have limited articulation for both of them, and it would be a nice if they have continued offering some of these limited articulation for pilots in their other valks.

Somehow no cockpit screen detailing here, but I really love the split cockpit canopy opening like how suicide doors are cool on some cars. More than that, there's this little feature in the way the front canopy opens that's just feels pretty awesome to me. Whether it is canon or just a toy transformation legacy that started all the way from Yammie's 1/72 YF-19, carried on midway the VF-19 and through till the YF-19 now, but for the front canopy to open properly the anti-glare area in front of it needs to be recessed. It makes the pivot point of the front canopy lower, such that the top of it becomes more or less level with the rear canopy when both are opened. Bandai's YF-19 on other hand doesn't have this feature, and to me it is another subtle but elegant plus point of Arcadia's over Bandai.

ArcadiaYF-19Pilotv2NRM2nt.jpg.326d79f0ca3ddd3324c4ed311dff7179.jpg

Edited by MKT

9 hours ago, MKT said:

Not very sure where to put this, so I'll just post here some comparison of cockpits & pilots between the 1/60 Mac+ valks:

Yammie's YF-21 Fighter may still look very handsome today, but pop open the cockpit and Guld doesn't look very good. He's more or less a rough big blob squashed in the cockpit, with just enough detail to see his zen-like hand posture. Cockpit interior also has barely any detail, with some plastic sticking out that supposedly emulates the flight stick & throttle.

YamatoYF-21PilotNRM2nt.jpg.a907b4063232fe810b2467afa44d2b02.jpg

Moving on to the VF-11b, Yamato tampoed on some nice cockpit screen detailing, but one of my top favourite party trick of any Macross valk toy, is the removable cockpit module. I suppose, this feature of the VF-11b is to emulate the escape pod module seen in jets like the F-111 Aardvark. In this VF-11b toy, what I'm stocked about is how well toleranced the cockpit module is sitting very flush in the nose of the jet.

However, the pilot figure's proportions are also quite off, looking pretty wide.

VF-11BCockpitv1.1NRM2nt.JPG.644db441e0fdb1e17a7a10bedf44b4c8.JPG

VF-11BCapsuleNRM2nt.JPG.73748303305530f9bcf32436db1f9ae8.JPG 

Arcadia stepped up and gave nicely proportioned and sharper Isamu & Yang figures for their YF-19. I love how they have limited articulation for both of them, and it would be a nice if they have continued offering some of these limited articulation for pilots in their other valks.

Somehow no cockpit screen detailing here, but I really love the split cockpit canopy opening like how suicide doors are cool for some cars. More than that, there's this little feature on the way the front canopy opens that's just feels pretty awesome to me. Whether it is canon or just a toy transformation legacy that started all the way from Yammie's 1/72 YF-19, carried on midway the VF-19 and through till the YF-19 now, but for the front canopy to open properly the anti-glare area in front of it needs to be recessed. It makes the pivot point of the front canopy lower, such that the top of it becomes more or less level with the rear canopy when both are opened. Bandai's YF-19 on other hand doesn't have this feature, and to me it is another subtle but prominent plus point of Arcadia's over Bandai.

ArcadiaYF-19Pilotv2NRM2nt.jpg.326d79f0ca3ddd3324c4ed311dff7179.jpg

Great shots of some great past releases! I'd say better than what's being churned out now.

11 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Great shots of some great past releases! I'd say better than what's being churned out now.

Thanks. :hi:

The YF-21 cockpit may look pretty basic, but I forgot one aspect of it though. The seat can actually rotate so the pilot is seated the right way in battroid, same as what Arcadia eventually implemented for their VF-0 toys. It is these little gimmicks that will always endear Yamcadia valks to me more than Bandai..

11 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Nice blues! You should add the VF-0S Max too next time.

Yep.  I plan to.  I'll also add a 1/100 Blue Angels.

11 hours ago, borgified said:

Hmm… How darn light will the blue be on Shin’s 0d upon release. There’s no way that it will possibly match with the other blue valks in the 1/100 scale lineup. 

It will be light compared to the others.  The only way it would better match is if they release another HMR VF-0D in dark blue like Arcadia's first release.

I plan on doing a scale comparison of the light blue HMR VF-0D with a light blue 1/100 Su-27.

8 minutes ago, MKT said:

Thanks. :hi:

The YF-21 cockpit may look pretty basic, but I forgot one aspect of it though. The seat can actually rotate so the pilot is seated the right way in battroid, same as what Arcadia eventually implemented for their VF-0 toys. It is these little gimmicks that will always endear Yamcadia valks to me more than Bandai..

Yeah I think the 21 was the first Yamato valk to implement a rotate for battroid mode. It's a 15 year old toy now but still compares favorably even to the latest Bandai offerings. 

But I would love to see an all new 21 from Arcadia.