168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this change in topic

2. 2. Or do you prefer a part five

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Honk if you love low visibility valks!

lowvis001.jpg.d59108d0c60dcbf034dd1e1f79874554.jpg

lowvis002.jpg.464971fb34d5c4e783c1d2a5a22f8eb7.jpg

Love these 2! :wub: I wonder how many Cavaliers were made, they really pop up very rarely these days..

25 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

And the big three together:

Macross_Shelf_DSCN3636.jpg.56af67a02fad5b82284115e7dae4c7d8.jpg

Love these 3 as well! And yes, that low-vis is best scheme ever! I pulled trigger on these unique colours when all Yammie 1/48 prices dipped around the time Bandai started on their Chogokin VF-1. Best decision made.

You’re still a fairly new collector to us old timers in regards to Macross collecting @Radioguy. Give it time (maybe a few months or more) and you’ll catch up to us. 

Not many newbies know about the obscure valks as they’re just starting up a new adventure and just focusing on the prominent ones. 

Just want to quickly share the first ever macross toy I bought as an adult some 20 plus years ago... from the severely yellowed POS to painted and lightly weathered. H-peroxide treatment didn't work. But I finally found someone to custom paint it that wasn't charging an arm and a leg for the job... after 5+ years of looking! It's an old toy and it's not perfect but the phone pic doesn't do it justice. I might take better photos of it later on... for now I'm just enjoying it being on display again after years in storage coz I couldn't stand the sight of it.

CB615131-CB61-42FA-9870-927E41C5A9A7.jpeg

20230211_070817.jpg

On 2/10/2023 at 2:13 PM, borgified said:

You’re still a fairly new collector to us old timers in regards to Macross collecting @Radioguy. Give it time (maybe a few months or more) and you’ll catch up to us. 

Not many newbies know about the obscure valks as they’re just starting up a new adventure and just focusing on the prominent ones. 

No, you give me too much credit. As I said in other posts, I was there in the beginning when the kits came into the USA before Jetfire and Chunky Monkeys. I was a kid, sure, but I was hooked on the designs more than TFs and even before I even caught Robotech on daily TV.

As for the premium stuff in later years like Yamato and Arcadia, I vaguely knew the stuff existed. I saw the Toynami 1/55 MPs when they came out and thought collecting those or better would be beyond my means, and it usually has been. However, I had no clue PO window price differences, or the Yamato clearances, were happening and putting these more within my grasp. Those are my most painful regrets.

Sans a Powerball win, I think we're talking more than a few months @borgified, but I've my ear to the ground from now on, and appreciate this place and all of you for keeping me informed...and still hooked. ;)

On 2/11/2023 at 7:26 AM, m0n5t3r said:

Just want to quickly share the first ever macross toy I bought as an adult some 20 plus years ago... from the severely yellowed POS to painted and lightly weathered. H-peroxide treatment didn't work. But I finally found someone to custom paint it that wasn't charging an arm and a leg for the job... after 5+ years of looking! It's an old toy and it's not perfect but the phone pic doesn't do it justice. I might take better photos of it later on... for now I'm just enjoying it being on display again after years in storage coz I couldn't stand the sight of it.

CB615131-CB61-42FA-9870-927E41C5A9A7.jpeg

20230211_070817.jpg

That’s a nice custom. :good:

Toys yellowing doesn’t bug me as much these days, because I know I will one day have them painted up to solve the yellowing.

Toyed with idea of whitening them with peroxide, but I’m hearing the yellowing just comes back in a short few months (anyone who did peroxide treatment previously can confirm this?)

29 minutes ago, MKT said:

Toyed with idea of whitening them with peroxide, but I’m hearing the yellowing just comes back in a short few months (anyone who did peroxide treatment previously can confirm this?)

Not only does the yellow return quickly, the treatment also weakens the plastic as well. Of course, that's only what I've heard. 

1 hour ago, MKT said:

That’s a nice custom. :good:

Toys yellowing doesn’t bug me as much these days, because I know I will one day have them painted up to solve the yellowing.

Yeah, the yellowing just comes back and was worse after coz the discoloration became uneven. But that's just my experience. Looked like it worked for some others who posted in the other thread. Just not sure if it lasted for them. Painting it is definitely the sure, long term solution to yellowing plastic. 

received_1287980145116938.jpeg

1 minute ago, m0n5t3r said:

Thanks. Whitening didn't last very long. Not exactly sure but probably a little more than a month before it started yellowing again.

That’s a bummer. Do you happen to what hydrogen peroxide percentage it was? Liquid or cream?

I have always wondered what works for long term use.

5 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

That’s a bummer. Do you happen to what hydrogen peroxide percentage it was? Liquid or cream?

I have always wondered what works for long term use.

Cream 12% (I asked a fellow member that posted on the "yellowing valks" thread what they used)

On 2/11/2023 at 11:11 PM, m0n5t3r said:

Yeah, the yellowing just comes back and was worse after coz the discoloration became uneven. But that's just my experience. Looked like it worked for some others who posted in the other thread. Just not sure if it lasted for them. Painting it is definitely the sure, long term solution to yellowing plastic. 

received_1287980145116938.jpeg

Wow! That custom job is amazing! Blow the pants off the DX 1J! :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I never got it, the original 1/48 Low-Visibility version.

Looks like a color scheme that could actually exist in the “real world.”  And no bright colored trim to make it stick out and defeat the whole purpose of being low-viz.

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Left out the VF-X from earlier. :shok:

So what's everyone's favorite low vis VF-1 from the Yamato days? Including the 1/48 line.

lowviscomparison.jpg.2e6b900036fcf752aa3130c7bc98d542.jpg

My favorite was definitely the Yamato 1/48 Low Vis. Loved the realistic look. Kinda regret letting that particular one go! Second would be the Yamato 1/48 Stealth.  I still have that one. With a custom 1A head. Third would be the 1/48 urban camo GPB, i let that one go too. 

Edited by Bolt

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

My favorite was definitely the Yamato 1/48 Low Vis. Loved the realistic look. Kinda regret letting that particular one go! Second would be the Yamato 1/48 Stealth.  I still have that one. With a custom 1A head. Third would be the 1/48 urban camo GPB, i let that one go too. 

This is my same order of favorites too! :good:

13 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Left out the VF-X from earlier. :shok:

So what's everyone's favorite low vis VF-1 from the Yamato days? Including the 1/48 line.

lowviscomparison.jpg.2e6b900036fcf752aa3130c7bc98d542.jpg

I haven't started buying Valks during the height of Yamato's Valk popularity. But if so, I would've go with 1/60 VF-X.

Is there any official word about what is the "shade" of white for the VF-1?

Back in the Yamato ere the only super white valk was the DYRL Hikaru VF-1A all next release were off white color.

For the V.2. Yamato went both ways. Off white for DYRL and bright white for TV series releases.

Bandai DX toys don't seem to have any difference in the shade of white, as far as I can see in pictures since I only own TV VF-1S and J. Butt see Bandai going bright white for the new TV VF-S. And the new revivial GBP seems like is is going to be off white and not the bright as the VF-1S