change in thread topic  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this change in topic

2. 2. Or do you prefer a part five

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!

17 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Wow, I didn't realize that the Arcadia was bigger than the Yamato version. Also that is some awesome detail work, looks great! 

Yeah, it's mostly because the legs extend more at the knees and allow more knee movement. Also the ankles come out a bit more and allow for more sideways articulation.

Final pics. As usual, click the thumbnail for the for the larger pic.

52223819353_70471c7647_c.jpg

52225253721_2a47510b3e_c.jpg

Edit: added a photo from a "ground level" view

Edited by MacrossJunkie

For a long while now, I wasn't sure how I wanted to weather my Delta era valks and just sat on it and procrastinated. But after looking at this Max YF-29, I think I want to mimic the texture work but add in a bit of post shading on the panel lines also.

2120527688_MaxYF-29.png.1a0c77b938697bee02f2260202fdd8ea.png

I experimented and this is what I came up with as a test using oil paints on the top half of Alto's YF-29:

1583479770_20220720_1344012.jpg.612d30a08f715966bbe6706d6a0c2d7a.jpg

It's hard to get on camera properly and there are more subtle textures than this to the eye, but that's the general gist of it.  How does this look and should I proceed using this technique on my Delta valks? Yay or nay?

I probably won't bother with the 31's except for the A and the AX's because the original ones require too much work getting rid of that craptastic canopy tint and color matching the paint on the upper thighs where it's just bare gray plastic when it shouldn't be.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

6 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

For a long while now, I wasn't sure how I wanted to weather my Delta era valks and just sat on it and procrastinated. But after looking at this Max YF-29, I think I want to mimic the texture work but add in a bit of post shading on the panel lines also.

2120527688_MaxYF-29.png.1a0c77b938697bee02f2260202fdd8ea.png

I experimented and this is what I came up with as a test using oil paints on the top half of Alto's YF-29:

1583479770_20220720_1344012.jpg.612d30a08f715966bbe6706d6a0c2d7a.jpg

It's hard to get on camera properly and there are more subtle textures than this to the eye, but that's the general gist of it.  How does this look and should I proceed using this technique on my Delta valks? Yay or nay?

I probably won't bother with the 31's except for the A and the AX's because the original ones require too much work getting rid of that craptastic canopy tint and color matching the paint on the upper thighs where it's just bare gray plastic when it shouldn't be.

I think that looks great! You should do it. I don't think anyone else has attempted such a feat so it'll make yours quire unique.

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Some old school goodness there! 

Roy looks like he's frozen in carbonite. 

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

Ok, I'm gonna say it...that's freakin gorgeous!!! 

46 minutes ago, Radioguy said:

I need that. We all need that.

Thanks guys! 

9 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I think that looks great! You should do it. I don't think anyone else has attempted such a feat so it'll make yours quire unique.

3rd on this haha..

7 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

0D1A851B-7039-4201-A3C9-3967A61BCB56.jpeg

This is really nice! :good: Is the pilot supposed to be a hologram?

Well, this was more of a pain in the butt than I thought. I basically had to do twice the work because the first time I was finished, I was putting it back together and the Vallejo Mecha clearcoat appears to have little adhesion to the plastic and was scraping off or peeling off like dead skin and taking all my work along with it.  Had to redo and sprayed with Future instead and then with a satin finish after. Seems to be a better, but I'm not transforming it for a week at least. Still need to do the super parts.

52255080119_4e78ef282d_c.jpg

The phone camera seems to be not very good at picking up the subtle weathering. I feel like it's doing some automatic pre-processing and filtering it out or something.

11 hours ago, TommyWMan said:

@MacrossJunkie Your weathering looks amazing. What techniques do you use? I want to weather my YF-29 Isamu like you did with your VF-25A.

Thanks! For the weathering on the 25A, I simply used an airbrush to apply the weathering and used I think Tamiya's X19 Smoke acrylic paint. Nothing fancy, it was pretty simple and straightforward using standard post-shading techniques. It was actually more work trying to color match the stripes I added to it to make it look like how the 25A appeared in the show. However, instead of Tamiya smoke, these days I highly recommend Ammo by Mig Shaders. I find them to be fantastic and easy to dispense and get great results. For general weathering, I like Ash Black, Starship Filth, and Grime.

Since you mentioned Isamu's 29, here are a couple pics of mine. I did change the fold crystal color from blue to purple because the fold crystals have always been shown to be purple. I also redid the canopy tinting because it was too dark and saturated, making it look more toy-like, imo.

15152075718_f6f70b8044_k.jpg

15315623916_878360579f_h.jpg

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Thanks, I'll check out the Mig Shaders. From what I just looked up on YouTube, it looks forgiving to use and produces great results. Thinking of airbrushing Tamiya flat clear for the base coat, with Ash Black over the panels. Great work on the Isamu, your pics will serve as inspiration 😀

6 hours ago, TommyWMan said:

Thanks, I'll check out the Mig Shaders. From what I just looked up on YouTube, it looks forgiving to use and produces great results. Thinking of airbrushing Tamiya flat clear for the base coat, with Ash Black over the panels. Great work on the Isamu, your pics will serve as inspiration 😀

Note that the link I provided is just to show what sort of colors they have. While you can order straight from them, it will probably take around 1.5 to 2 weeks and the overseas shipping is pricey too, especially these days. There are stores in the US that carry these, have comparable prices, and will reach your door faster. You probably already knew to look at domestic stores, but just making sure. 

Good luck on your weathering!

On a side note, warning to all. Do not use Vallejo Mecha Varnishes. It has caused me nothing but headache. Contrary to its claims that it's made to be durable for mecha models where things can rub together, it is the flimsiest, most scratch prone clearcoat I've ever used. It peels right off with Tamiya's masking tape which is fairly low tack. The clearcoat has no adhesion to the surface or at least it has less than masking tape, which is ridiculous. Comes off like peeling dead skin. It can't withstand ANY rubbing or it will come right off. The areas that I redid using Future as the base coat first are like a million times more durable. Maybe it's okay on surfaces that have primer and their brand of paints, but it's complete and utter trash on toys. Small rant over.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Finally got around to start doing Delta era valks. Weathered my Hayate VF-31AX. Took a few pics in fighter mode. Will do the other modes later when the clear coat has dried more.

52306256057_d8ac895c7a_o.jpg52307508055_f94997f042_o.jpg52307441453_0bc75ce56a_o.jpg

Have you ever considered creating a museum space for these?

The last pic of the underbelly is my favorite as it show the beautiful curve of the gullet.

Amazing work as always.