1/48+fp's, 1/60+fp's, 1/72, 1/2k, 1/3k,1/100 and now 1/144

VF-18S Hornet

change in thread topic  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this change in topic

2. 2. Or do you prefer a part five

10 hours ago, TCracker said:

img_1812.jpg

Great shot TC.  I am planning to do a figure and Valk shoot when my figures arrive.

44 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Awesome group shot!

Just how big is your photography surface for you to be able to fit all those comfortably in one photo anyway? Like over 36"?

Thanks MJ, my setup is 30" but I can expand it to 40" wide.

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

I wish that that line was in scale with HMR.

They're not? Are Gn-U Dou figures larger than 1/100 scale?

Edit: Ok, I did check Jenius anymoon site and Macross Mecha Manual. Jenius posted the YF-21 as 15cm. M3 states YF-21 height is 15.5meters. So atleast it's relatively in the same scale (?).

Edited by no3Ljm

On 1/4/2017 at 11:46 PM, sh9000 said:

large.IMG_2156.JPG.4355b1e02d09b69b22439

The HMR DYRL Valkyries are coming along.

Wow before I scrolled down to know what they were I thought they were Yamatos Valkyrie's strikingly similar in their construction.

• 2 weeks later...

Took some time today to finally play with my Hi Metal R Valks and finish up some panel lining,  these really are great little toys.  I didn't even realize that they came with the insert part for the top of battroid mode! 

20170122_170903.jpg

20170122_172004.jpg

20170122_172128.jpg

20170122_172158.jpg

20170122_174713.jpg

Edited by derex3592

• 2 weeks later...

Knocked a few items off my to do list. Weathered my Maruyama VF-171EX and Luca's RVF-171 as well as the VF-27β. Lightened the overall green on Luca's and added more paint where it was missing on the 27. Notably on the hip guns and the upper canard pieces that move up and down where the darker green stripe should have been painted. Only took a few pics as I don't have much time right now. Not going to transform them for a while either as I'm letting the acrylic polyurethane coating cure longer so see if it helps with the issues I had with it.

(Can I no longer make an image a link? Selecting the pic and clicking the link button doesn't do anything unlike before where you could. If it's possible, how? Wish I could edit the BBcode like before the upgrade. Also, why can I not insert more than one image from URL? The editor won't insert an image for from URL after the first one. I put in the link and click insert into post and it does nothing. How does everyone else put in multiple images after the upgrade? The options appear to be more restricted now.) Nevermind. I kind of figured out how. I have to double click an image to insert a link. Also. for some reason, the board software won't let me do more than one insert from URL per save. so I have to submit, then go back and edit and insert another image from url and repeat. What a severe pain in the butt...

32413157560_234f089fca.jpg

32640186592_307d009c56.jpg

32413162460_340f9202c5.jpg

32640190972_8165d8129c.jpg

32413160560_11d88c26c9.jpg

Edited by MacrossJunkie

That looks fantastic as always MJ!!!  Glad you got around to it.  I've got to light a fire under my butt to get a few things done too, but the idea of working on multiples do save some time.  Everyone one of your toys have looked better and better, you should be proud of a real sense of accomplishment and progression.  So have you graduated from the Future clear coat entirely to be replaced with that Vallejo Matte Varnish?  Is it as durable as the Future?

24 minutes ago, mickyg said:

Those look great MJ!  I still wish they'd released some ghosts for the RVF-171.  Maybe it was redundant, given the fact they were supposedly the same between his VF's.

Thanks! I wish they sold the ghosts separately from the super parts. I would have ordered another set if they did. I couldn't bring myself to order a second set of super parts as it seemed like a waste.

18 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Great collection MacrossJunkie! Now that I own a VF-171, I want the others too! 

I think the 171's are great. The fighter mode especially feels really solid. I like the non-EX version the most because of the color and canopy, but it's too bad that one has has so many issues.

8 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

That looks fantastic as always MJ!!!  Glad you got around to it.  I've got to light a fire under my butt to get a few things done too, but the idea of working on multiples do save some time.  Everyone one of your toys have looked better and better, you should be proud of a real sense of accomplishment and progression.  So have you graduated from the Future clear coat entirely to be replaced with that Vallejo Matte Varnish?  Is it as durable as the Future?

Thank you. I continue to look for ways to improve, including trying out new paints and products to make things easier.

I have not moved away from Future entirely and am considering going back to the non-polyurethane Matte Varnish.

What I got was the Vallejo Premium Airbrush Color branded acrylic polyurethane. I bought a gloss and matte version off ebay to use and mix as needed. It has a built in dropper and you can squeeze out drops as needed right into the airbrush with no pre-thinning. The matte by itself is very flat, but in a nice looking way, not like the Tamiya flat base, and about comparable to the matte varnish I used before in terms of look. Mixed with the gloss in varying amounts will produce a range of matte to satin to semi-gloss finishes. The ones pictured in my above post were done with 13 drops of gloss to 9 drops of matte. I think the finish looks fairly nice.

Here's the downside. With the Future + matte varnish combo I used before, if I did get a scratch or chip, it was just at the point of contact and it was easy to do touch ups.

With this acrylic polyurethane mix, the extra hardness from the polyurethane works against it. If there is some abrasion or a part knocks hard enough against another part, one of several things seems to happen. The coating doesn't break, but loses adhesion to the surface at the point of contact, leaving a white spot, or there is a break in the coating. When the latter happens, it's not just a clean chip or scratch. It starts to peel. Ever have dried skin peel off? You know how if you try to get it off more of it starts to lift and peel off? That's what it's like with this. You try to remove the lifted off flake of coating and more peels off with it, always leaving a ring of white around the edges. Pretty soon, you have a disaster area. Also, despite letting it try the first time around for several days, getting it wet got it to start rubbing off like if you got a paper sticker soaked through. I totally did not expect that. I eventually stripped everything off, including the weathering and had to fully redo.

Try #2, I mixed the matte with Future. Seems to mix just as well as the gloss acrylic polyurethane. I'm hoping it won't produce that peeling result. I'm letting it dry even longer now. But none of this was a problem with my old combo of Future + vallejo acrylic resin matte varnish and the results looked just as good.

vallejo premium matt.jpg

2 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Nice, BV. Makes me want to work on more composited pics. My total count is a big whopping one just because it was so time intensive to do. :p

But it came out looking like it was straight from the Master Files. Now do get to it!:p