1/48+fp's, 1/60+fp's, 1/72, 1/2k, 1/3k,1/100 and now 1/144

VF-18S Hornet

change in thread topic  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this change in topic

2. 2. Or do you prefer a part five

VF-19SJOHN-5-2-13_zps2822a83c.jpg

- and a second, spare 19S arriving probably tomorrow. my favorite Yammie product, simply gorgeous engineering... :wub:

Edited by Shaorin

Nice display. Where did you get it and how much?

It's from WAVE, they have a series of Hanger kits, square and Hectagon.

It takes 4 to make the one you see in the pic, about 60$ worth.

But it's pretty much a perfect fit in a detolf. You can change the scale, by adding another

Level or whatever. Just make sure you know what the main look of the hanger will be,

While its a snap kit, disassembly does not end well.

Okay weird question here, did anyone had trouble getting the shoulders away from the legs when trying to transforming their VF-19P?

I thought that was a problem on all the newer 19's.

Okay weird question here, did anyone had trouble getting the shoulders away from the legs when trying to transforming their VF-19P?

All of the 19's have the ridiculous problem of the shoulders being on TOO tight.

oh it can't be that hard now, guys. with either of my two 19S examples, in FIGHTER i just use one finger to apply gentle pressure to get the wing-tab clear

of the leg slot, while pulling firmly but gingerly down on the lower leg nacelle. pops free and downward instantly every time,

and no need whatsoever to disengage the shoulder pauldrons first, as the manual instructs,

it all disengages automatically with my method, no damage incurred after 50+ cycles... :).

VF-19S1-60JOHN-6-4-133_zps54e9960d.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

Well I never had problems with the other 19's the Kai, S and F but the P is an enigma for me as I even tried using my thumbnail to pry the shoulder loose, and in the process almost ripping it off my thumb. That is one tough Valkyrie.

oh it can't be that hard now, guys. with either of my two 19S examples, in FIGHTER i just use one finger to apply gentle pressure to get the wing-tab clear

of the leg slot, while pulling firmly but gingerly down on the lower leg nacelle. pops free and downward instantly every time,

and no need whatsoever to disengage the shoulder pauldrons first, as the manual instructs,

it all disengages automatically with my method, no damage incurred after 50+ cycles... :).

VF-19S1-60JOHN-6-4-133_zps54e9960d.jpg

The two S's are bad examples. The F and P are RIDICULOUSLY difficult compared to my S.

Nice comparison pics of the VF-1S Strike Valkyrie in different scales, 505thAirborne. I love how the 1/55 can still hold its own against other offerings; it just has its own special charm.

I finally got a set of 1/60 Super Armor and will be taking some similar comparison pics of a 1/60, 1/55, 1/48 VF-1A Super Valkyrie (cannon fodder/mass-production version) because that's always been my fave VF-1 for some reason. I'll try to post them soon.

Edited by Sephiroth

Nice comparison pics of the VF-1S Strike Valkyrie in different scales, 505thAirborne. I love how the 1/55 can still hold its own against other offerings; it just has its own special charm.

I finally got a set of 1/60 Super Armor and will be taking some similar comparison pics of a 1/60, 1/55, 1/48 VF-1A Super Valkyrie (cannon fodder/mass-production version) because that's always been my fave VF-1 for some reason. I'll try to post them soon.

To be honest never having owned a 1/55 I have no nostalgia for it at all. I really don't feel like it holds it's own at all. Then again, not owning a 1/48 I think it's proportions, other than having the head in the correct lower spot on the neck, really looks very good either.

To be honest never having owned a 1/55 I have no nostalgia for it at all. I really don't feel like it holds it's own at all. Then again, not owning a 1/48 I think it's proportions, other than having the head in the correct lower spot on the neck, really looks very good either.

My first VF ever was the 1/55 Transformers JETFIRE in 1985 (Happy Birthday to me!). I purchased Hikaru's VF-1S Strike at a comic shop in the Valley in 1996, sucker should have costed me a pretty penny but the store owner thought it was a dumb toy and said $65.00 and its yours.

The 1/48 even with its flaws, the size alone makes it a winner in my book. The V.2 VF.... short of the issue with the shoulders which MW members & shape-ways solved, probably the sturdiest Valk ever made, nothing but love for that bad boy. B))

If you've never owned a 1/55, that would make sense that you would feel that way, nostalgia or not. The ease of transformation, ratchet joints, decent articulation for its time, solid/durable feeling of parts/materials, heft of die-cast parts, spring-loaded gunpod and removable accessory parts, beautiful box-art/packaging and loads of extra stickers....and keeping in mind they were the first fully-variable Macross toys produced 30 years ago and designed without the aide of auto-cad, I strongly believe they still have a lot to offer compared to newer versions. While not as accurate to the line-art and lacking some other neat features, the "chunky-monkey" is much more fun to handle in my opinion than the delicate Yamato's. Don't get me wrong, I love the 1/60 ver 2 and consider it the best representation of a fully-variable VF-1 available, but I think each scale has it's own special appeal along with their inherent pros and cons.

I love my 1/55's because they were great toys for their time, but now more for nostalgia. I pretty much have all the Bandai reissues but at this point the 1/60 V2's are my favorite and the 1/48's 2nd. Nice pictures 505th Airborne. I wish I had a 1/55 Hikaru VF-1S DYRL

Like most kids growing up in the 80s, I fondly remember my Jetfire transformer. That thing was an absolute tank and survived countless transformations and never looked the worse for wear. It was the best TF back in the day and every kid who had one - loved it and every kid who didn't have one - stewed in jealousy. When Robotech hit TV in 1986, Jetfire was THE toy to have. With the evolution of Yamato's V1 1/60 line and further refined 1/48s and V2 1/60s I find that old 1/55 valk hopelessly outdated in terms of design but the nostalgia factor for them is essentially off the charts. To this day, whenever I see a Jetfire or Macross 1/55 online I'm instantly brought back to my childhood and that's a rare event for me indeed given my chosen occupation and the things that I've seen and done.

Growing up in Albuquerque I was never exposed to either a Robotech Branded or Transformers branded VF-1/Jetfire. Maybe they do feel really good, I don't know. My first exposure to an actual transforming VF-1 was the Toynami one from the early 2000's. I never saw a transforming VF-1 before then.

I think Deadeye pretty much says it all for most of us in why we like the 1/55's. I can understand why Mommar doesn't really care for them. I would suggest if you know someone who has one to let you transform it a few times. It may seem simplistic, but you get the understanding the ease of transformation and the toughness of it although it will never look as great as a V2 1/60. As for price they are kind of spendy

I owned a Jetfire when I was a kid. I posted about it in another thread but my nostalgia stems from the design of the actual VF-1 itself. I still get that "pang" in the pit of my stomache when I see a beautiful rendition of it. That said I played with my Jetfire enough that the arms came off. I remember my dad having to fix it a few times for me. Durable...sure. Indestructible? No way!

Getting slightly offtopic here but there is nothing that a child cannot destroy NOTHING! If I couldn't destroy them by hand or with tools such as a hammer of scissors I cut my toys with a small blow torch. ;)

I love my 1/55's because they were great toys for their time, but now more for nostalgia. I pretty much have all the Bandai reissues but at this point the 1/60 V2's are my favorite and the 1/48's 2nd. Nice pictures 505th Airborne. I wish I had a 1/55 Hikaru VF-1S DYRL

Thanks Magnus, that 1/55 VF-1S Strike is my prized possession, absolute dumb luck I bought it when I did and for the price too. Even if you never grew up owning these old school Valk's the Box Art alone is worth it to own them. One of these days I will own the Bandai VT-1, one of the coolest Valkyrie boxes ever IMO. B))

Edited by 505thAirborne