Jump to content

Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV


Urashiman
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, electric indigo said:

I needed a break from the demanding Tomcat, and Hase's new Fighter 1 from Crusher Joe provided a very relaxing opportunity. Hasegawa proves that their engineering is on par with Bandai with this new line of shake-n-bake kits. 

Nice to see an old school anime build pop up here. I assume Hasegawa is now using advanced 3d modeling for their kits, which is why you are comparing them to Bandai. I also assume they had no such thing when they first did the questionable F-14s and the Vf-1s.

And I see what you did with that masking guide. Lesson learned!

On 6/9/2019 at 11:32 PM, MechTech said:

As you probably saw in the video above, the guy made a roll-up style bed cover for hid R/C truck. It was funny because I already made a similar door for my ship's hangar. This weekend I finally finished the drive for it.

Mechtech, Gosh, I'm also working on a rolling garage door. But it is just not fair how smooth your finishes are.  What kind of mesh did you use, how did you make the gear box, and will you install limit switches?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO once Hasegawa made the leap to engraved panel lines somewhere in the 80s, their level of detail was lightyears ahead of the competition. The lines on the Tomcat are super fine, and you can see by little defects and overshoots that they were engraved by hand on the master. 

My guess is that the chemical/physical side of the production worked a little against their ambitions, when the plastic deforms after the de-molding, and the parts breakdown on the Tomcat didn't help much in that regard. You also get the impression that different sections of the kit were engineered by different teams, and that they didn't speak to each other, or bothered to put the complete kit together after the process.

Today everything is CAD, of course, but still you see a wide range of results from the different companies. And still, Bandai showed in one of their promotional vids for the Star Wars line that the CAD-engineered molds are worked over by hand in the final stage of production to ensure the best fit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2019 at 11:32 AM, arbit said:

Nice to see an old school anime build pop up here. I assume Hasegawa is now using advanced 3d modeling for their kits, which is why you are comparing them to Bandai. I also assume they had no such thing when they first did the questionable F-14s and the Vf-1s.

Hasegawa made the transition from wooden prototypes to resin/machined prototypes to 3D modeling/3D printed prototypes starting around 2003/2004, and seem to have used their Virtual On line-up as some sort of test-bed for new production techniques and materials (e.g. polycaps, POM joints, advanced gating techniques for injection plastic machines). At one point the team behind that product line even overshot their budget, and still managed to get the funds to complete the product in question (likely because it was Hasegawa's first product that could technically be assembled without painting and give a decent result).

Since a few years a lot of the stuff that premiered in that line is showing up in many of their new products, including vehicle kits lately. The VF-1s are from before those developments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Salamander said:

Hasegawa made the transition from wooden prototypes to resin/machined prototypes to 3D modeling/3D printed prototypes starting around 2003/2004, and seem to have used their Virtual On line-up as some sort of test-bed for new production techniques and materials (e.g. polycaps, POM joints, advanced gating techniques for injection plastic machines). At one point the team behind that product line even overshot their budget, and still managed to get the funds to complete the product in question (likely because it was Hasegawa's first product that could technically be assembled without painting and give a decent result).

Since a few years a lot of the stuff that premiered in that line is showing up in many of their new products, including vehicle kits lately. The VF-1s are from before those developments.

That's really interesting. Does anyone think that they should try and make a new 1/72 pattern for the VF-1 using these more modern techniques? Would there even be a market for it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Arbit, thanks! I took scribed styrene and cut it every third line or so. Then I taped the slats down to my work matt with double sided tape along the edge of a ruler. Making sure everything was straight and flush, I used some very fine mesh I have. Not sure where I got it. I see useful stuff and save it without becoming a hoarder. I then super glued it to the mesh and carefully broke the pieces apart after the glue dried. It was very smooth until the two cog strips got glued on. Then I had to re-break the segments up again to make the joints smooth.

I don't think I will be using limit switches, but I'm still throwing it around. I'm trying to keep weight to an absolute minimum. The gearbox is from an old camera, but those micro ones you've used should work. I went through my spare gears and found ones that meshed with the cogged belts.

Working on the radar gears now! - MT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Liking your work on the ship, MT! :thumbup

My latest: I changed gears a bit and went in a...kaiju... direction...

A while back, i got a 12 inch rubber godzilla toy as part of a lot I bought on Listia; this isn't the pic of mine, as mine was in pretty rough shape:

Godzilla.jpg.188f688257d3c600c0bc612a1bcd0850.jpg

(image courtesy of infinitehollywood.com)

At any rate, between the horrid paint job and the really bad scuffing, paint wear and  poor shape of the toy, i nearly threw it away. but I decided to spare it and set it aside for a bit until I decided what to do with it.

Well, recently, Godzilla's in a new movie ("king of the monsters" for one), and I decided that it was time to pull this guy out of mothballs and do something with him. So, I did some work sanding down the bad flash and seam lines (thing was wrecked so at this point, anything was an improvement!), and do a proper paintjob:

100_0353.thumb.JPG.0979a900e3cbdb44f42f80b40a3710aa.JPG

100_0354.thumb.JPG.c26621fecc163ebb68f2e7a290cb67f3.JPG

 

His face needed some real attention; I still have to do something about his snout (seam line was really bad there and I'm not satisfied with the current state thus far):

100_0355.thumb.JPG.08cbed2e4480445f49d738bcccd78996.JPG

 

He had no tongue, so i gave him one:

100_0356.thumb.JPG.a427c359e27e338b413d5b831f169270.JPG

He still needs more work, but G-man is well on his way.

 

Stay tuned...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Liking your work on the ship, MT! :thumbup

My latest: I changed gears a bit and went in a...kaiju... direction...

A while back, i got a 12 inch rubber godzilla toy as part of a lot I bought on Listia; this isn't the pic of mine, as mine was in pretty rough shape:

Godzilla.jpg.188f688257d3c600c0bc612a1bcd0850.jpg

(image courtesy of infinitehollywood.com)

At any rate, between the horrid paint job and the really bad scuffing, paint wear and  poor shape of the toy, i nearly threw it away. but I decided to spare it and set it aside for a bit until I decided what to do with it.

Well, recently, Godzilla's in a new movie ("king of the monsters" for one), and I decided that it was time to pull this guy out of mothballs and do something with him. So, I did some work sanding down the bad flash and seam lines (thing was wrecked so at this point, anything was an improvement!), and do a proper paintjob:

100_0353.thumb.JPG.0979a900e3cbdb44f42f80b40a3710aa.JPG

100_0354.thumb.JPG.c26621fecc163ebb68f2e7a290cb67f3.JPG

 

His face needed some real attention; I still have to do something about his snout (seam line was really bad there and I'm not satisfied with the current state thus far):

100_0355.thumb.JPG.08cbed2e4480445f49d738bcccd78996.JPG

 

He had no tongue, so i gave him one:

100_0356.thumb.JPG.a427c359e27e338b413d5b831f169270.JPG

He still needs more work, but G-man is well on his way.

 

Stay tuned...

 

 

godzilla.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's cool Pengbuzz! My children actually got me that toy many years ago when they were with my wife in a thrift shop. I was deployed at the time and they said, "Let's get it for daddy for when he gets back." So I got him for Christmas (in February when I got back). My children also thought he was great for busting up gingerbread houses! Make us proud man! He will look way better than the factory paint job mine has. My artist didn't care or "drunk" his lunch. The paint is all over the place.

I'm going for the world's thinnest gearbox (well, close anyhow). One motor will drive THREE radar antennas in the same direction. Like the three bears, tall, medium and short. I just have to add a sheet to the top and then make two towers for the radars. Then of course the radars. The radar motion adds realism to the ship when its on the water. - MT

 

0616191315c.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2019 at 3:54 AM, MechTech said:

I used some very fine mesh I have. Not sure where I got it. I see useful stuff and save it without becoming a hoarder.

I don't think I will be using limit switches,

I'm thinking of using pantyhose as mesh, what do you think?

Also thinking of using reed switches for the garage roller limits. But have not tested yet if it will be reliable. I thought that the garage roller may not hit a normal limit switch well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/12/2019 at 6:13 PM, derex3592 said:

Last time I did an old Imai Macross kit, Bandai came out with the Hi Metal R Monster like a month later..

Let's see if I can get that situation to happen again... LOL!... Prepare the putty and the sanding tools! 

20190512_170858.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns ourt. Mine has been resting on the workbench for almost a year now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finished my Bandai A-Wing kit. Ejection seat from F-16 and RAF Lightning pilot added to the cockpit.  Didn't do much painting. Pretty much just panel-lining and a wash.

Also found a use for the terrible landing gears that came with the Bandai VF-27 kit.  ^_^

Not sure if I'll leave it this way or use the original skids.

A-wing%20mod%2005-L.jpg

A-wing%20mod%2009-L.jpg

It has a nose up profile to somewhat mimic the A-4 Skyhawk. :p

A-wing%20mod%2003-L.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Out of curiosity, what scale pilot and seat?  That looks more like a 1/72 than Bandai's attempt.

Both the seat and pilot are 1/72 scale.  Don't remember what F-16 kit the seat comes from but the pilot comes from a Hasegawa BAC Lightning.

Bandai's pilot for the A-Wing kit is ridiculously oversized. It's more like 1/48 scale. 

 

 

Edited by Vifam7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Vifam7 said:

Finished my Bandai A-Wing kit. Ejection seat from F-16 and RAF Lightning pilot added to the cockpit.  Didn't do much painting. Pretty much just panel-lining and a wash.

Also found a use for the terrible landing gears that came with the Bandai VF-27 kit.  ^_^

Not sure if I'll leave it this way or use the original skids.

A-wing%20mod%2005-L.jpg

A-wing%20mod%2009-L.jpg

It has a nose up profile to somewhat mimic the A-4 Skyhawk. :p

A-wing%20mod%2003-L.jpg

 

 

That's a nice A-Wing! Seeing it mostly in flight, it looks odd up on any kind of gear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2019 at 6:58 AM, Vifam7 said:

Bandai's pilot for the A-Wing kit is ridiculously oversized. It's more like 1/48 scale. 

Mostly that's because the entire kit is actually in roughly 1/48 scale.  Bandai took all of the old EU stats verbatim, and just decided to make the ship 9.6 meters long, while every indication in the movies is that the ship is much smaller than that.

Great work on the kit though, and the size of that seat helps eat up some of the space in the cockpit so the pilot doesn't look undersized. ^_^ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The A Wing looks cool Vifam! It reminds me of some of NASA's original lifting body designs - minus the laser weapons of course. I've never seen it gear down. That's what makes it look different.

Hey Arbit,

Pantyhose might be too elastic. the mesh I have is non-elastic. Depending on your door size, maybe the fine mesh fabric tea bags will work? You may have to use multiple depending on size.

A lightweight micro-switch should be OK. Maybe a stop on the door to trigger the switch would work? - MT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Mostly that's because the entire kit is actually in roughly 1/48 scale.  Bandai took all of the old EU stats verbatim, and just decided to make the ship 9.6 meters long, while every indication in the movies is that the ship is much smaller than that.

Great work on the kit though, and the size of that seat helps eat up some of the space in the cockpit so the pilot doesn't look undersized. ^_^ 

 

Ah, that explains things. That said, Bandai never seems to be able to scale the aircraft cockpits and pilots correctly. :lol:

 

5 hours ago, MechTech said:

The A Wing looks cool Vifam! It reminds me of some of NASA's original lifting body designs - minus the laser weapons of course. I've never seen it gear down. That's what makes it look different. 

I agree that it kinda reminds me of the lifting body designs.

I have the option to use the original skids as I didn't glue the legs in.

P1000126-L.jpg

Thank you all for the compliments.

 

Edited by Vifam7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vifam7 said:

 

Ah, that explains things. That said, Bandai never seems to be able to scale the aircraft cockpits and pilots correctly. :lol:

 

I agree that it kinda reminds me of the lifting body designs.

I have the option to use the original skids as I didn't glue the legs in.

P1000126-L.jpg

Thank you all for the compliments.

 

There’s a good reason it reminds you of a lifting body design. The original model makers used parts from an F-14 model kit to make the A-Wing design. F-14s had lifting body characteristics. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Grayson, that figures. The front end looks like a Tomcat minus the (older) leading stabilizers and cockpit.

Sweet work on that Lexan body Nyankodevice! It looks nice and clean (until you roll it)B)) Is that a 4 x 4 or 2WD? I used to work in a hobby shop (some decades ago) selling all the Tamiya cars. I had a Frog, Hornet, and the Clod Buster with an all fiberglass chassis and hopped up motors/speed control. I've been seeing some of their cars are making a retro comeback - like vinyl records! - MT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MechTech said:

Sweet work on that Lexan body Nyankodevice! It looks nice and clean (until you roll it)B)) Is that a 4 x 4 or 2WD? I used to work in a hobby shop (some decades ago) selling all the Tamiya cars. I had a Frog, Hornet, and the Clod Buster with an all fiberglass chassis and hopped up motors/speed control. I've been seeing some of their cars are making a retro comeback - like vinyl records! - MT

its a 4WD.

and yea my first RC car..

the paint job went well considering its also my first time painting something on the inside...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MechTech said:

I used to work in a hobby shop (some decades ago) selling all the Tamiya cars. I had a Frog, Hornet, and the Clod Buster with an all fiberglass chassis and hopped up motors/speed control. I've been seeing some of their cars are making a retro comeback - like vinyl records! - MT

Ooh, I build those with my Dad decades ago. We had the Frog, Boomerang, and Willy's Jeep, but the most awesome was the Toyota 4x4 with RC-controlled shift gear. You could take it along on a walk through the woods.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone here built up the Round 2 AMT 1/2500 Enterprises? I was thinking of pickup up the D or maybe the whole 7 pack just to actually have all 7 E's in the same scale. Just wondering about the quality of the kits. I've built two of the older bigger Enterprise D kits back in the 90's/early 2000's. While not Bandai grade, the build up's I'eve seen with a 30 second Google search look pretty good with all the aztecking decals applied...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nyankodevice, I knew some guys that would do some awesome paint jobs on the Lexan bodies. It's especially cool when you think that everything has to be done backwards including what colors go on first!

El;ectric Indigo, The Toyota Bruiser was/is AWESOME! They still make it! Now they have the Tundra High Lift too (only $372 at HLJ - with snowboards!). The Bruiser's shifting gear box was genius and the whole realistic chassis too. Never got it due to cost and the third channel needed. - MT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 6/26/2019 at 1:45 PM, derex3592 said:

Anyone here built up the Round 2 AMT 1/2500 Enterprises? I was thinking of pickup up the D or maybe the whole 7 pack just to actually have all 7 E's in the same scale. Just wondering about the quality of the kits. I've built two of the older bigger Enterprise D kits back in the 90's/early 2000's. While not Bandai grade, the build up's I'eve seen with a 30 second Google search look pretty good with all the aztecking decals applied...

I built the 1/2500 Refit E and Reliant; I then used them in a WoK  diorama, along with Playmates figures of Kirk and Khan: (I reworked the figures as well)

100_0345.thumb.JPG.540e3ceb4c876116c829e0ea514c99e9.JPG

100_0346.thumb.JPG.5ba38596e328e64eddd1b33e97065d3b.JPG

100_0347.thumb.JPG.965b22188fffc4ea50a8b78ac5542737.JPG

100_0348.thumb.JPG.9c0d6c40d8bb1ede99ae7ffd5bf6d054.JPG

100_0351.thumb.JPG.4e7f8f097393127c3d05f4ca6065d0e3.JPG

100_0352.thumb.JPG.ab74191b64cc85191086947f74f419bd.JPG

 

It has a custom Starfleet movie emblem I had made for the Diorama, but it broke off and shattered during our move from the Rockies back to the East Coast:

103_0008.thumb.JPG.d67ee86d21873741ab45e9f1bfa117b4.JPG

Soon as I can, I'll build and paint up a new one for it. For right now, money's tight.

 

Edited by pengbuzz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...